• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Plan a Last-Minute Grad Party with Limited Time and Resources?

In summary, Meg is planning her graduation party tomorrow night and her bf is throwing the party for her. He went shopping today and she just wanted it to be simple, so she made him a list of items to buy. He called her from Costco and they didn't have any platters until Saturday morning. So her bf went to Safeway and their platters were about $40. She was already planning on making the artichoke dip and maybe some cookies or something small. But now she has to work and study for her finals, so she doesn't have time to cook for 50 people. She thinks she will make the greek
thecougchef
okay so i am having my graduation party tomorrow night (woo woo! im almost a college grad!). my bf is throwing the party for me at our house. but by "throwing the party" he really meant - "meghan you plan everything because im not good at it & then i will just pay for everything." so i made him a list and he went shopping today. i just wanted it to be very simple - a costco fruit & veggie platters type of shin dig. he called me from costco today & they didnt have any platters until saturday morning! so my bf went to safeway & their platters were about $40. :grumpy:

i was already planning on making the artichoke dip and maybe some cookies or something small. right now i am working my full time job, doing atleast one PC show a week AND working on my finals. the last thing i have time to do is cook for 50 people!

anyway - i just browsed the SB for quick recipes. i think ill make the greek cheese torta. serve it with crackers because those are easier than the bread. can i make that tonight and keep it in the fridge till tomorrow??

i think ill also make a big caesar salad (the prebagged ones), some cookies (the already perforated ones - all i have to do it put em on the cookie sheet), and the artichoke dip. anyone have any other super fast, easy, BRAINLESS ideas??

my head is literally mush right now. im sure theres any easy, stress free answer. my brain just isnt trained to solve easy problems right now...

how about something in the crockpot? wings? does anyone have a crockpot recipe for something like that? i have a crockpot but ive only used it once. :blushing:

Yes the Greek Cheese Torta can be made ahead of time, and personally I think it is better with crackers. I will keep thinking for you.

You can do sweet & sour meatballs in the crockpot. Have bf pick up the premade meatballs at Costco in the freezer section. Tomorrow throw them in the crock pot with sweet and sour sauce and cook all day. Viola' sweet & sour meatballs. You could make rice to go with it.

I have an artichoke dip that is easier and (I think) better. You can make it ahead too, and then throw it in the oven when you need it. I just recently posted it. The thread was "Artichoke dip" I think!

My favourite easy dessert for a party is the brownie truffle cups, do a double (or triple) batch. They are so quick and easy and YUMMY!

or fjust regular meatballs, Crockpot-add frozen meatballs-jarred spagettin sauce- and cook!

I was going to suggest the same thing!! But this version is my fave!!

GRAPE JELLY MEATBALLS

2 12 oz jars Heinz chili sauce
1 32 oz jar grape jelly
1 bag meatballs (about 80 in a bag)

Put chili sauce and jelly in a large pot, heat until jelly is melted and sauce is smooth, stirring often. Add frozen meatballs; heat until meatballs are thawed and then simmer for 3 hours.

I've made Greek Cheese Torta the night before several times.

I do this same recipe but buy the little smokies in the big bags at Sam's (Costco for you) Always a hit.
vwpamperedchef said:

GRAPE JELLY MEATBALLS

1 32 oz jar grape jelly

Put chili sauce and jelly in a large pot, heat until jelly is melted and sauce is smooth, stirring often. Add frozen meatballs; heat until meatballs are thawed and then simmer for 3 hours.

FYI Costco also carries an already made Spinach Artichoke dip that is super! Maybe you can get that and save yourself some prep time.

You could also get the mexican layered dip from costco and serve with tortilla chips.

And if I can recall correctly Costco also carries a cheese and pepperoni platter...(you do not have to order it its made by I think Hormel).

Frozen appetizers in the freezer sections...some are on coupon until dec. 7

Greek Cheese Torta is great with Rosemary and Olive Oil Triscuits!!!!

thecougchef said:
how about something in the crockpot? wings? does anyone have a crockpot recipe for something like that? i have a crockpot but ive only used it once. :blushing:
I don't have a recipe for wings in the crock pot, but I do have a recipe for a Buffalo Chicken Dip that can go in the crock pot that is really good... crackers or tortilla chips... hmmmmm. I think that I just got the recipe on Allrecipes... super easy and good!

As long as BF is going to Costco, they have Nestle chocolate chip cookie dough in the refrigerated section, too. It's in a tub - makes oodles of cookies!Mini quiches (from frozen)If Costco didn't have the veggie trays, why not throw one together yourself? Get a bag of baby carrots and one of mini sweet peppers. And a tub of dip. arrange on SA, and you're good to go.

Congratulations, Meghan! All I could think when I saw the title of the thread was, "What a great theme for a graduation party!" LOL!I can't add any ideas. The other smarties took all my suggestions. Guess that's what I get for stealing most of my good suggestions from them. ;)

raebates said:
Congratulations, Meghan! All I could think when I saw the title of the thread was, "What a great theme for a graduation party!" LOL!
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/giggle.gif

You need a brain-shaped jello mold!

Or fried eggs ("this is your brain...").

I have a brain-shaped gelatin mold. It really freaks people out. If you make peach flavored Jello with fat-free evaporated milk and add a few drops of green food coloring it looks amazingly lifelike.

vwpamperedchef said:

GRAPE JELLY MEATBALLS

1 32 oz jar grape jelly

StacieB said:
I do this same recipe but buy the little smokies in the big bags at Sam's (Costco for you) Always a hit.

my friends mom used to make this for us with the lil smokies and i couldnt for the life of me remember what the other ingredient was besides the grape jelly. i think ill have shaun pick up a pack of those lil smokies at costco...

chefann said:
As long as BF is going to Costco, they have Nestle chocolate chip cookie dough in the refrigerated section, too. It's in a tub - makes oodles of cookies!

Mini quiches (from frozen)

If Costco didn't have the veggie trays, why not throw one together yourself? Get a bag of baby carrots and one of mini sweet peppers. And a tub of dip. arrange on SA, and you're good to go.

haha. chefann you make it sound so easy! but ive stressed too much for it to be THAT easy :D

raebates said:
Congratulations, Meghan! All I could think when I saw the title of the thread was, "What a great theme for a graduation party!" LOL!

thanks rae!

chefann said:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/giggle.gif

You need a brain-shaped jello mold!

Or fried eggs ("this is your brain...").

the only theme im going to need once this is over is "who's got the wine bottle?"

janetupnorth said:
Greek Cheese Torta is great with Rosemary and Olive Oil Triscuits!!!!

i just had to re-read this thread because my brain really is fried.
i didnt even see this post janet! haha. i just wrote down these crackers so ill remember tonight. thanks!

Another really easy crockpot thing is to do a boston butt pork roast in it. It super cheap and feeds alot. Right now they're on sale for .99 a pound here. Add some buns and barbecue sauce. You could even try to find some mini buns to make them more like appetizer sammies. Hope you have a great time and congrats!
God bless,
Amanda

Meghan- just print this thread out for your BF and tell him to get on it. :)

Hope your party goes well tonight!! Congratulations on finishing your degree! I know what a relief that is!! I was a "December grad" too!!

When you get a chance to breathe, we'd love to hear your menu!!

vwpamperedchef said:
Hope your party goes well tonight!! Congratulations on finishing your degree! I know what a relief that is!! I was a "December grad" too!!

When you get a chance to breathe, we'd love to hear your menu!!

okay. so. im still not breathing because i technically havent graduated yet - it is currently finals week (had the party a week early so it wouldnt interfere with christmas parties, etc). friday i cleaned my house, did some homework and prepared myself for my guests. it was just a casual house party but it was MY party so i bought myself a little black dress that was more appropriate for a fancy christmas party. i put my dress on & then put an apron on over that so i could make my artichoke dip and the wings in the DCB. i get everything out to do the artichoke dip & I HAD NO ARTICHOKES!! :grumpy: UGH! so the bf ran to safeway & to get artichokes (as everyone is arriving). so while he is at the store, i figured id just start making the wings. we just got a new microwave & as im being surrounded by family, i discover that the DCB DOESNT FIT IN MY NEW MICROWAVE!! :grumpy::grumpy: so i called up shaun & said "honey - just buy whatever buffalo wings are in the frozen aisle."

A family friend poured me a glass of wine & things ran a little more smoothly after that. :blushing:

Our Menu:
Greek Cheese Torta with Janet's recommendation of Rosemary triscuits
Buffalo Wings
Artichoke Dip
Lil Smokies with the grape jelly & chili sauce
a BIG Caesar Salad
& my daddy made Peanut Butter Pie :D

My director was there & she took a picture of my setup because it was mostly SA's & PC food.

it was an "adult only" party & i think my aunts & uncles took full advantage of that because my house was packed until a little after midnight.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I obviously needed the help since i couldnt even remember to get artichokes for my artichoke dip :yuck:

Glad it went well! Congratulations early!

Glad to hear it went well pretty good menu turn around for 24 hours notice!! Good luck with finals!

What is a "Grad Party. My Brain Is Fried."?

"Grad Party. My Brain Is Fried." is a phrase used to describe the overwhelming exhaustion and stress that comes with planning and hosting a graduation party.

What are some tips for planning a "Grad Party. My Brain Is Fried."?

1. Start early and make a checklist to keep track of tasks and deadlines.2. Delegate tasks to friends and family to help alleviate some of the stress.3. Keep the menu simple and consider catering or potluck options.4. Set a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.5. Don't be afraid to ask for help or scale back if needed.

What are some popular menu ideas for a "Grad Party. My Brain Is Fried."?

1. BBQ or picnic-style foods such as burgers, hot dogs, and grilled vegetables.2. Build-your-own taco or burger bar.3. Finger foods like mini sandwiches, fruit and veggie platters, and cheese and cracker trays.4. Pasta dishes like baked ziti or mac and cheese.5. Desserts like cupcakes, cookies, and ice cream sundaes.

How can I make my "Grad Party. My Brain Is Fried." more budget-friendly?

1. Consider hosting the party at a park or backyard instead of renting a venue.2. Make DIY decorations and centerpieces.3. Choose affordable food options like potluck or catering from a local restaurant.4. Use paper plates and plastic utensils instead of renting or buying expensive dinnerware.5. Skip hiring a professional DJ or photographer and ask a friend or family member to help out instead.

What are some fun activities or games for a "Grad Party. My Brain Is Fried."?

1. Create a DIY photo booth with props and a selfie stick.2. Have a scavenger hunt with items related to high school or college memories.3. Set up a DIY s'mores station or outdoor movie night.4. Have a karaoke or lip sync battle.5. Create a memory book for the graduate where guests can write down their favorite memories and well wishes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
akrebecca
  • pampered1224
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
wcsis
  • PCMelissa