• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Going to Disney, Need Tips, Advice :)

In summary, the conversation is about a person's upcoming trip to Disney World and SeaWorld with their three children. They are seeking advice on park strategies, rides, places to eat, and other tips for making the most out of their trip. The conversation includes recommendations to use FastPasses, bring snacks for the plane, take breaks during the day, and wear comfortable shoes. They also discuss various websites and guidebooks for planning the trip.
peichef
On Sunday (3 days :)) I'm heading to Disney World & SeaWorld with my 3 kids (8,8, 5). This will be their first plane ride & the first time I've been to Disney since the days before Epcot.

I'm looking for your best advice re: park strategy, rides, things not to miss, things okay to skip, best places to eat, etc. etc.

I've been scoping out all the sites I can find, but I figured you guys probably have lots of tips, tricks & advice I can use.

TIA :)

Go early to the parks - get the fast passes to the rides that are the most popular. That way you can come back at a designated time and get right to the front of the line to get on those rides and not waste valuable time sitting in line. We went a couple of years ago and my kids had a blast! Have fun:)

Best advice is in Birbaums books on Disney! They have an adult one and a kid one (so your 8 year olds can read it)

Fastpass rock! Do one park a day and map out what you want to see and in what order.

Where comfy shoes!

Eat at the hotel before going to the park and get there as soon as it opens - we take a break in the afternoon and then go back at evening time - sometimes we snack late morning and then have a late lunch and light dinner -

They say go to the left on lines - it tends to move faster - (haven't tried it )

Have fun and takes lots of pics!!

Also, go to the back of the park and work your way forward. Most people start at the front and work their way back.Have fun!

My kids could write a guidebook, lol.. (they are 9 and 6)... what parks are you hitting, where are you staynig, and how much do you want to do/see? What kind of tickets are you using (hoppers??)?

It is a slower time of year so you should be able to get alot done.

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin
Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World
Home Page of MousePlanet.com, your resource for all things Disney
PassPorter.com: Travel Guidebooks, Travel Advice and Information, and Disney Guides -- Home of PassPorter Walt Disney World, PassPorter Disney Cruise Line, and PassPorter Disneyland

I hope you weren't planning to do sit-down dining in some of the nicer restaurants -- it's probably pretty hard to get reservations at this point... that being said, the counter/walk-up food is pretty good in most places.

I am so jealous! I wanna go back already (were there for a day in December before our cruise). We are Vacation club owners and try to go at least every other year.

Bring snacks for the plane ( not drinks ) also a DVD player if you have one, stuff to do on the plane

chef131doreen said:
Bring snacks for the plane ( not drinks ) also a DVD player if you have one, stuff to do on the plane

I made up surprise envelopes for my kids for this trip... didn't spring it on them till we were on board and buckled in. Nick got a new Nintendo game and 2 books in his. Sarah got coloring books, new markers/crayons, and a couple new games for her Leapster. (The Nintendo and Leapster were already packed in their backpack carryons for the trip).

Joy -- we'll be at the park M-F. We have park hopper passes & are staying off-resort for numerous reasons.
Don't plan on much (if any) sit-down dining. I have read studied, taken notes & memorized) the Fodor's guide & the Frommer's guide. I have been visiting allears & mousesavers sites as well.
Thanks for the other sites. I'll check them out tonight :)

Take a nap! None of you will have much fun if any of you are cranky. :(

Get there early and leave mid-day to take a nap, swim in the hotel pool, whatever, just get away for awhile. Then, when you are rested and refreshed, come back and start enjoying all over again.

I just got this link in a Family Fun email and thought I'd share.
http://familyfun.go.com/family-travel/disney/expert/dony0502savingmoney_tp/dony0502savingmoney_tp.html?CMP=NLC-NL_Wkdr&link=Section4Link1

I agree a park per day is awesome. We went when the twins were almost 5 and Rachel amist 4. We took our time at the parks and the Fast passes were great for those harder to get on rides. I was suprised at how the food and drinks were not as expensive as I thought. Wear comfy shoes, sun screen, camera, video. The strollers are awesome. I know your ages are older, but it helped to carry the gear too. Have a great time.

1) They won't stop you at the gate if you bring in bottled water into the Disney parks. That was a lifesaver for us (bottled water can cost $3 each...so we'd bring in at least three or four with us and then more later in the day when we returned after a nap).
2) If you go to Hollywood Studios, and you REALLY want to do the Toy Story ride (it's a 3D arcade ride), make that your first stop or get a Fastpass as early as possible. It's a fun ride, but we were glad we went early because it was slam-packed later in the day and I don't know if I could have justified a 70-minute wait for a five minute ride. :)
3) Animal Kingdom has "campsites" for Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald (and Chip and Dale and others, depending on the time of day). If you want your pic with Mickey & Co., go there DURING the Lion King show. Before the show and after the show that area is packed, so about five minutes after the show begins is ideal. Also in Animal Kingdom, the musical show for Finding Nemo was pretty cute. We didn't do Mount Everest because our kids are much younger, but that might be a fun ride for those who like roller coasters.
4) Downtown Disney is a great place to hang out if you're looking to spend an evening doing something different. There's a huge movie theater there. Your kids would probably like Disney Quest, but there's an additional charge for each person to get a ticket, and I'm not sure what kind of spending you would/wouldn't like to do. There are lots of shops to browse through, lots of restaurants to choose from on all different budget levels (even a very jazzy McDonald's). Our favorite, if we can afford it, is the Rainforest Cafe. There's also a Rainforest Cafe at the entrance to Animal Kingdom.
5) Sea World...one of my favorite parks! Check out the underwater viewing area for the dolphins, feed the stingrays, and make plans to see the Pets Ahoy! show...it's really fun. Journey to Atlantis is a good ride, but with a steep drop toward the end...not sure how your kids feel about that kind of thing.

Have fun and take tons of pics!!! Safe travels. :)

sklay723 said:
1) They won't stop you at the gate if you bring in bottled water into the Disney parks. That was a lifesaver for us (bottled water can cost $3 each...so we'd bring in at least three or four with us and then more later in the day when we returned after a nap).
2) If you go to Hollywood Studios, and you REALLY want to do the Toy Story ride (it's a 3D arcade ride), make that your first stop or get a Fastpass as early as possible. It's a fun ride, but we were glad we went early because it was slam-packed later in the day and I don't know if I could have justified a 70-minute wait for a five minute ride. :)
3) Animal Kingdom has "campsites" for Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald (and Chip and Dale and others, depending on the time of day). If you want your pic with Mickey & Co., go there DURING the Lion King show. Before the show and after the show that area is packed, so about five minutes after the show begins is ideal. Also in Animal Kingdom, the musical show for Finding Nemo was pretty cute. We didn't do Mount Everest because our kids are much younger, but that might be a fun ride for those who like roller coasters.
4) Downtown Disney is a great place to hang out if you're looking to spend an evening doing something different. There's a huge movie theater there. Your kids would probably like Disney Quest, but there's an additional charge for each person to get a ticket, and I'm not sure what kind of spending you would/wouldn't like to do. There are lots of shops to browse through, lots of restaurants to choose from on all different budget levels (even a very jazzy McDonald's). Our favorite, if we can afford it, is the Rainforest Cafe. There's also a Rainforest Cafe at the entrance to Animal Kingdom.
5) Sea World...one of my favorite parks! Check out the underwater viewing area for the dolphins, feed the stingrays, and make plans to see the Pets Ahoy! show...it's really fun. Journey to Atlantis is a good ride, but with a steep drop toward the end...not sure how your kids feel about that kind of thing.

Have fun and take tons of pics!!! Safe travels. :)
thanks for the tips. My DD (5.5) is only the size of a 3 yr old (41 inches tall & 33 lbs) so we are limiting ourselves to the rides we can ALL go on. She is just happy that she is tall enough for the Tower of Terror:eek:. My kids are thrill seekers when it comes to rides. They get that from me (excpet I am terrified of heights & have never done a "wild" roller coater).
I hadn't thought of taking them to a movie in Downtown Disney, but that might be a fun thing to do.
Thanks again :)

One more place that is awesome is the fountain at Downtown Disney. It's free, wet fun! Just make sure to take a towel and a change of clothes. I was totally unprepared for it and ended up having to hit the towel stand nearby and run to Rainforest Cafe for a change of clothes. My DD (who was 3.5 at the time) played there for probably 2 hours! The water just comes up in jets, doesn't pool anywhere, so, it's not swimming, just lots of fun for the kids with plenty of shaded areas around for the adults to sit and watch.

We just went in May of 08 and had a great time. Well except for my 3 year old staying sick most of the time. I don't think the traveling agreed with him. We would order waters (ice water in a cup, free) and then add those packets of kool aid to it. You could use any of those packaged mixes like that. Hope you have a great time!
God bless,
Amanda

Get the "Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World." It is a great book - if it is in current print. They usually have a new one each year.

Here is some of my advice from the last time we went. We picked one park for the day. Ex. Magic Kingdom. We got there as soon as it opened. Did not waist time going down Main Street or shopping. Headed left toward Frontier area. Got on Pirates of the Carribean and then the roller coaster w/Brear Rabbit (can't remember the name). We then headed to Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents. Then went to Small World, but got a fast pass for Peter Pans Flight first. I then took the two youngest on Cinderellas Carousel while hubby went to get a fast pass for Space Mountain. We got lunch and then went on the tea cups - there is no more 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride:(! We then headed to the Alien ride (near Space Mountain). We then watched the afternoon parade. Afterward we could ride Space Mountain. We went on the cars which were near by after that. Went to the Castle and made reservations for dinner - late dinner right after the fireworks and Spectro Magic parade - have no idea if they still do this. If you watch the fireworks be sure to be at the castle because Tinker Bell flies on the right side of the Castle - too cool and goes very fast! We then ate dinner in the castle - I heard it has gotten really expensive now. They have a set price they charge per person. We then head back to Mickey's area - I think it's called Toon Town? Anyway, it was the best time to go through that area. Everyone w/really small kids were gone. We got to walk right up and have pictures taken w/Mickey:)! We then hopped on the train which runs right through there and had it take us to the front of the park to leave - no walking that late in the day:)!

Trust me, you must know the park layout and have a plan or you will not see everything you want to see! This plan was set up for us by my husband's friend who goes to Walt Disney World every year. This plan was from about 7 years ago, so things may have changed, but not a lot. There were some other rides we hit in there, but I can't remember them all. We saw everything we wanted to see in one day.

The next day we went to the MGM Studios. This was nice for the second day since it is a lot of sit down shows. The best one is at the end of the day - do not miss it if you go. It's called Fantasmic (I think). It's AWESOME! This is the only think I would say DON'T MISS. Even though this is more relaxing of a park, I would have had a one day break in between and just stayed at the hotel pool and relaxed if I had to do over again. Everyone was really tired!

You will have so much fun when you go! I love Disney. I would like to go one more time w/my family, but I don't know if it will happen. I would like to take the kids to Epcot now that they are older. I would also like to see Animal Kingdon which I never have before.

We stayed in a hotel near the shopping area (Downtown Disney). This worked out great because we could walk over to the huge Disney store and let the kids shop. We told them there would be no shopping in the parks since we want to spend our time there going on rides/attractions.

Please excuse the run on sentences and the spelling errors in this post:)! I'm very tired and in a hurry - sorry for the inconvenience!

Again, enjoy!

We took our kids when they were 5 & 3. We did Epcot first (before Magic Kingdom) because that way they wouldn't know what to expect at any park. They LOVED Epcot and had a blast. Not sure if they would have liked it as well if we went to Magic Kingdom first.

1. What are some must-do experiences at Disney World?

Disney World offers an endless amount of experiences, but some popular must-do activities include riding the classic attractions like Space Mountain and It's a Small World, meeting your favorite Disney characters, watching the parades and fireworks shows, and trying the unique and delicious food options.

2. Is it worth staying at a Disney World hotel?

Staying at a Disney World hotel definitely has its perks, such as complimentary transportation to and from the parks, extra magic hours to enjoy the parks before or after regular operating hours, and the immersive Disney theming. However, there are also many off-site hotels that offer affordable prices and still provide shuttle services to the parks.

3. How can I save money on my Disney World trip?

There are several ways to save money on your Disney World trip. Some tips include booking during off-peak seasons, taking advantage of package deals, bringing your own snacks and water bottles to the parks, and considering staying at a hotel outside of the Disney property. You can also check for discounts through your employer, AAA, or other memberships.

4. What is the best way to navigate the parks?

The best way to navigate the parks is by using the My Disney Experience app. This app provides real-time wait times for rides, show schedules, and interactive maps to help you plan your day. You can also make dining reservations and manage your FastPass+ selections through the app.

5. Are FastPasses worth it?

FastPasses are definitely worth it, especially for popular attractions. They allow you to skip the regular standby line and save time waiting in line. You can book your FastPasses up to 60 days in advance if you are staying at a Disney World hotel, or 30 days in advance if you are staying off-site. It's important to plan and prioritize which rides or shows you want to use your FastPasses for.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kandi2candy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Heather92007
Replies
Views
KimberleePowell
Replies
Views
3RingChef