• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Expert Vacation Advice for Cancun Trip: Packing, Money, and Safety Tips

In summary, Sarah is worried about sunburns and taking sunblock with her on the plane, and Gail advises taking a wallet-type thing to carry cards and cash, as well as visiting one of the ruins and taking a day trip to Isle Mujueres.
itsjustCarla
The hubby and I are going to Cancun in a few weeks for our 20th wedding anniversary and I am NOT a seasoned traveler. I knew that here would be a great place to get H-E-L-P !!

We are going with another couple & we've all decided to just take carry-ons. My questions start with....should I take my purse or just a wallet-type thing to carry cash, credit card, passport, etc?? Will they let me take sun-block on the plane with me? (I do NOT tan and I've been warned about sunburns). Any advice what to do or not to do down there??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No, you will not be able to carry a full-sized sunblock with you.

I'd opt for the wallet type thing to carry your cards. It's easier to keep close to you, and takes up less space in your carry on.

Also (and, this is true no matter where you travel), keep that wallet in your front pocket (guys, too!). That way, you don't have to worry about pickpockets.

sarah is right about keeping your wallets in your front pocket. something i use to do going to lots of theme parks and touristy type places in cali, i use to make sure that i never kept all of my cash in said wallet just in case. even if your wallet doesn't get stolen, you could always misplace it. i always like to have at least a small stash for emergencies on me or with my things. i never had any problems with lost or stolen wallets, but i was always glad i had the back up.

Hi Carla. We have vacationed in Mexico over 20 times and have been to Cancun about 8 times. Check if your hotel/timeshare has airport pick up, if so take it. Leaving the airport upon arrival is your most expensive ride (some sort of union run thing). Money exchange is easy -- ATMs are readily available. US currency can be used in most places.Make sure you visit one of the ruins (one is close, and one is farther away). You can buy sunblock down there and will need a hat. There are big grocery stores and even a Walmart in town. I can give oodles of info if you like. It is a great place but has gotten very commercial. You should also visit Xelha (?sp) a natural reserve park. Be sure to go on the underground waterfalls ride through the current there. Take a day trip to the very nearby island of Isle Mujueres and rent mopheads there to take a tour around the island.I love Mexico, it is so totally relaxing!!! Bus service to and from most places is very readily available and inexpensive. Taxi's aren't too bad there, either.Have a blast!!
Gail

Carla looks like you got great advice. Happy 20th wedding anniversary and have a great trip! DH and I will be celebrating our 27th on November 8th.

I usually carry a large bag (along with luggage) to keep a book, magazine, CD player, etc. in on the plane. I do bring my purse, but don't tend to take it anywhere once we are there. Most hotels have room safes so be sure to keep any extra money you won't need that day in the safe along with your tickets, passports, etc. in. I sometimes take a fanny pack when we venture out somewhere. Otherwise my husband brings some money in his pocket. Things are very safe in Cancun. They certainly realize that most of their income comes from tourism.Bottled water is readily available (be sure to stay hydrated) and I can attest to the wonderful bottled beer! Ask at the restaurants if their water is purified, and they'll tell you. Almost all of them are. If you're worried, order bottled water. As brochures will tell you, don't be tempted by the street food vendors. We do take Imodium with us. They also have bottled soda everywhere.Are you aware of all the timeshare people that are going to approach you? They will, starting at the airport -- if you want to go on one, make sure you get at least $200 worth of goodies, cash or excursions, for your time.

Harriet, congrats on your 27th! We just celebrated 25 in April.

gailz2 said:
Harriet, congrats on your 27th! We just celebrated 25 in April.

Thanks, Gail! Congratulations to you too on your 25th! :sing::thumbup:

Thank you all for your well wishes and advice - it is all truly appreciated. We have one week to go before we leave and I am soooo excited. I hit a few great sales today for some summer clothes.

I am planning on taking a carry-on and an additional bag...not going to mess with checking luggage in. I went on the airlines' website, and it says that all my carry-on liquids have to be 3.4 oz or less and everything must fit in a quart size bag. Am I understanding it correctly? Is there a limit to how many things can go in the bag as long as they are less than 3.4 oz. and all fit in the bag & the bag closes?

I am going to fry down there, so I'm just going to have to buy a mondo-sized bottle of sunblock when I get there. I will take a small one with me to start out with. Augh!! So many decisions!!

I didn't know you could get canned coon. I usually have to scrape it up off the highway.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I didn't know you could get canned coon. I usually have to scrape it up off the highway.

:yuck: Ewwwwwwwwww. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!:yuck:

Related to Expert Vacation Advice for Cancun Trip: Packing, Money, and Safety Tips

What should I pack for my trip to Cancun?

When packing for your trip to Cancun, it's important to consider the climate and activities you'll be participating in. Be sure to pack lightweight, comfortable clothing for warm weather, such as shorts, tank tops, and sundresses. Don't forget to bring a swimsuit and cover-up for beach days. It's also a good idea to pack a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen to protect yourself from the strong sun. For activities like hiking or exploring ruins, bring sturdy walking shoes. Lastly, don't forget to pack any necessary medications, travel documents, and a small amount of cash.

How much money should I bring for my Cancun vacation?

The amount of money you should bring for your Cancun vacation depends on your personal spending habits and the length of your trip. Plan to budget for food, transportation, souvenirs, and any excursions or activities you want to do. It's recommended to have some cash on hand for small purchases, but most places in Cancun accept credit cards. It's also a good idea to notify your bank and credit card companies of your travels beforehand to avoid any issues with international transactions.

Is it safe to travel to Cancun?

Cancun is generally considered a safe destination for tourists. However, as with any travel, it's important to exercise caution and use common sense. Avoid walking alone at night and stay in well-lit, populated areas. Keep your valuables secure and be aware of your surroundings. It's also a good idea to research any potential safety concerns or scams in the area before your trip.

Do I need any specific vaccinations before traveling to Cancun?

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are no specific vaccinations required for travel to Cancun. However, it's always a good idea to check with your doctor to ensure you are up-to-date on routine vaccinations. You may also want to consider getting a typhoid or hepatitis A vaccine, as these can be contracted through contaminated food or water in some areas of Mexico.

What should I do in case of an emergency during my trip to Cancun?

In case of an emergency, it's always a good idea to have a plan in place. Make sure you have a copy of your travel documents and important contact numbers, such as your hotel and the local embassy or consulate. If you have travel insurance, be sure to have their contact information easily accessible. It's also a good idea to research the nearest hospitals or medical facilities in case of a health emergency. Lastly, stay calm and follow any instructions from local authorities.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
mommyhugz1978
  • Stampaholic1961
  • National Conferences and Meetings
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies