• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Goat Meat Recipes: Seeking Ideas for Home Butchering

In summary, this recipe calls for goat or lamb with bones, garlic paste, ginger paste, green cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns, star anise, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf, red chilli powder, cinnamon, black cardamom pods, black peppercorns, vegetable oil, chopped onions, basmati rice, yogurt, salt to taste. First, put 6 cups of water in the pressure cooker or deep pan and add the spices, meat, and salt. Put the muslin bag with the spices and meat in the center and tie the edges tightly. Add the ginger, garlic pastes, meat and salt to the pressure cooker/ pan and close. Boil till the
tlag1986
Gold Member
Does anyone have any experience with goat meat recipes? We raise goats and would like some recipes for butchering time.

Sorry. I've got you covered if you ever need a recipe for groundhog, though. ;)

I'll try to remember that. Thanks Rae.

raebates said:
Sorry. I've got you covered if you ever need a recipe for groundhog, though. ;)

Goundhog?????:eek::yuck:

well, maybe not, my family does eat squirell

Goat meat can be treated like lamb, but cooked longer. It is pretty good in stews. If you go to Recipezaar, you might be able to find goat recipes from other parts of the world.

Good luck!

Symara said:
Goundhog?????:eek::yuck:

well, maybe not, my family does eat squirell

It's not too bad. It's a surprisingly lean meat. It tastes like a cross between venison and really lean beef. It's not something I'd serve again, but I could live on it if I had to.

How did you come across this? At a game store?

We have a store that sells game meats here. It sells natural products and game meats.

People need to try some things they may be surprised. We raise our own meat-pork, chicken, beef, lamb, and goat. I have to admit it does help with the economy the way it is. We are fortunate to live on 40 acres out in the boonies.

I just gave my rabbits to my nephew Bobby he is autistic and likes to raise them.

tlag1986 said:
People need to try some things they may be surprised. We raise our own meat-pork, chicken, beef, lamb, and goat. I have to admit it does help with the economy the way it is. We are fortunate to live on 40 acres out in the boonies.

I agree, I never had tried venison until I met my husband, and while it was an acquired taste, I use it in everything now. He usually kills 2 or 3 deer a season, and now that I know how to season it, it's all we use. I'm too cheap to pay for ground beef when I have free venison in my freezer;)

Just a comment. I'm too squeamish for doing/watching the killing or the butchering, but I do think it's cool that you can hunt or raise you own meat.

Lisa, you may find me at your doorstep one day with a cooler and some of my PC commission dollars! bcmama, you're too far away ;-)

Goat Pulao

This tasty rice dish is a classic at North Indian meals. It gets its name from the Yakhni (meat stock) it is cooked in. I like to serve Yakhni Pulao with just a simple vegetable raita but you can go all out and add a curry dish too.
Ingredients:
1 kg goat meat or lamb with bones, cut into 2" (or bite-sized) pieces
2 tbsps garlic paste
2 tbsps ginger paste
6 green cardamom pods
6 cloves
1"piece of cinnamon
1 black cardamom
10 black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsps coriander seeds
1 large bay leaf
1 star anise
1 tsp red chilli powder
4 large onions - 2 chopped fine, 2 sliced very thinly
3 tbsps vegetable/ sunflower/ canola cooking oil
2 1/2 cups Basmati rice washed well
3 tbsps fresh yogurt
Salt to taste
Preparation:
If you are using a pressure cooker, put 6 cups of water in it. If using a deep, heavy-bottomed pan, put 8-9 cups of water in it.
Cut a piece of muslin cloth into a 6" square and place the cinnamon, black and green cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, star anise, coriander and cumin seeds, bay leaf and red chilli powder in the center of this square. Gather up the edges and tie tightly with a piece of string to form a bundle. Put this bundle in the pressure cooker/ pan.
Add the ginger, garlic pastes, meat and salt to taste to the pressure cooker/ pan and close. Boil till the meat is almost cooked.
Remove the muslin bag (you can throw it out now) and separate the meat from the stock and keep aside. The stock should measure 6 cups. If there is more, boil it down till you get 6 cups. If less add hot water to it to get 6 cups.
In a separate deep pan, heat the cooking oil and add the chopped onions. Fry till light golden.
Now add the meat, stock, rice and yogurt and mix well. Cook on medium flame till the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the flame to a simmer, cover and cook till the rice is done. The rice is done when you press a few grains between your index finger and thumb and they feel firm but mash completely (just like al dente pasta). Turn off the fire and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
This step is optional - While the rice is resting, fry the sliced onions in cooking oil till caramalised and golden. Drain and keep on paper towels.
Open the pan and stir the rice well, taking care not to break up the pieces of meat.
Garnish with fried sliced onions (optional) and serve piping hot with a vegetable raita or curry dish of your choice.

try this link, it has a lot of goat recipes...
http://www.jackmauldin.com/goat_recipes.htm
Tara

Thanks Susan my DH is always wanting new a inventive recipes. This is not one I have.

Thanks Tara I will check it out.

Symara said:
How did you come across this? At a game store?

We have a store that sells game meats here. It sells natural products and game meats.

Found this one in our back yard. ;) It is sometimes advantageous to live in the geographical center of nowhere.

Surely there is someone out there that has more goat recipes.

My rules is I never eat anything I can observe playing in my yard.

My rules is I never eat anything I can observe playing in my yard.
This is going to tick a few people off, so I'll hide it.
[Whining] But, the neighborhood cats are so tasty!

Our family of 6 would have starved if we didn't eat what played in our pasture.

I won't allow my boys to kill the squirrels only because it has taken 12 years to get 6-7 of them to run around here.

Here is a recipe similar to how my mom cooks it. I am looking for another one that uses beer. Just had a WONDERFUL goat curry from a Pakistani restaurant this weekend. If yo can not get the sour orange you could use lemon or lime but the flavor is slightly different or you could go to a local hispanic market and maybe find some sour orange marinade.

Fricasé de Cabrito
(Goat meat stew)

Ingredients:
(Serves up to 8 adults)
It cooks equally well in the range or in the oven.
Preparation time: About one hour

(A)
4 lbs young goat (kid) meat, cut in small pieces
1 Seville or sour orange (citrus aurantium)

(B)
2 tablespoonfuls salt
2 teaspoonfuls crushed garlic
1/4 teaspoonful ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoonful oregano (ground or leaf)
2 tablespoonfuls cooking vinegar

(c)
8 to 10 very small cooking onions, peeled
1/4 lb cooking bacon
1/4 lb cooking ham
1/2 cup olives
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup capers
1 cup olive oil
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup Spanish red peppers
3 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup White Rum

1 cup Red Wine

Procedure:

Soak the meat in sour orange juice and let stand for at least thirty minutes. Drain the sour orange juice and mix with the ingredients listed under (B). Baste the meat with the resulting paste. If possible, allow to stand in the refrigerator for several hours before cooking.

Heat two tablespoonfuls of olive in a deep pan. When hot, add the meat slowly and turn the pieces frequently to sear all the meat surface. Add the White Rum and carefully apply a match to light the rum. It should extinguish itself after a few seconds.

Add the cooking bacon, turning frequently. After one or two minutes, add the cooking ham. Add the ingredients included in (C), bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the meat is tender. If necessary, add some water to assure a thick gravy. Add the red wine shortly before serving.

Serve with white rice or, preferably, with boiled root vegetables.

Related to Goat Meat Recipes: Seeking Ideas for Home Butchering

1. What are some popular ways to prepare goat meat?

Some popular goat meat recipes include slow-cooked curries, grilled or roasted chops or steaks, and stews or braises.

2. Can I substitute goat meat for other types of meat in recipes?

Yes, goat meat can be substituted for other types of meat in most recipes. It has a similar texture to beef and can be used in place of beef, lamb, or pork in many dishes.

3. How do I properly butcher a goat at home?

Butchering a goat at home can be a challenging task. It is recommended to seek guidance from a professional butcher or attend a butchery demonstration before attempting it on your own. It is important to have the right tools and knowledge of proper cuts to ensure the best results.

4. Are there any health benefits to eating goat meat?

Goat meat is a lean and nutrient-dense protein source. It is lower in fat and cholesterol compared to other types of meat and is a good source of iron, zinc, and vitamin B12.

5. Can I freeze goat meat?

Yes, goat meat can be frozen for later use. It is recommended to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container before freezing. It can be kept in the freezer for up to six months.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DessertDivaFL
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
janezapchef
  • deanna_g
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • beloved