• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Getting Nervous About the All-Men Show!

In summary, this Saturday, there is a show for just guys who are serious cooks/chefs. There will be a Cuban Cooking Class taught by one of the participants. The plan is for the guys to make the Fajitas and the pineapple salsa, but now the host is second-guessing if this is too simplistic. There are lots of potential menu items, and I suggest sticking with the original plan. If you want to provide a new recipe, then literally give them a snazzy one to take home. Have fun!
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
My show for just guys is this coming Saturday.

These are not men who are coming to buy for their wives - these are men who are SERIOUS cooks/chefs. (yes - a couple of them who are coming have worked or are working as chefs now.) I've attended a Cuban Cooking Class taught by one of them.:eek:

My plan had been to do the DCB Fajitas, and pineapple salsa. But, now I keep second guessing if this is too simplistic? The host keeps talking about how much these guys love to learn new recipes - he mentioned Paella, and Cuban Black Beans and Rice, and several other more difficult dishes.

I'm wondering if something from the new 29 Minutes Cookbook would be better?

I've run in Chef circles, and some are just regular people, but some can be very elite in their estimation of their skills....am I overthinking all of this?

Even people who love to cook elaborate and fabulous meals need to cook up something fast and delicious once in a while. I suggest sticking with your original plan.

I agree with lisa, even if they are pretty simple, you are atleast getting the point across of what our tools and products are capable of!

PLUS! When taking a test, everytime I second guess myself and don't go with my original feeling, I normally get it wrong. LOL

You're fine as long as they don't think they're Gordon Ramsay.

LOL KG, that would be horrid at any show!!!

If you don't want Gordon send him my way - I'll take him off your hands and deal with him.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
You're fine as long as they don't think they're Gordon Ramsay.

Thanks...that really settled my nerves. :yuck:

wow your show sounds like a lot of fun and great potential for big $$. i second the motion to make something simple. remember the point of this is to highlight the tools, not the recipe. i would make something that has the guys getting their hands on our big ticket items - cookware, knives, stoneware.

if these guys are all accomplished chefs, then use that to your advantage - pander to them a bit that they are the real chefs, you are an ordinary gal using these tools to put a good dinner on the table in a short period of time. they know just as well or better than you how to use these tools, etc, etc.

if you/the host feel it's necessary to provide a new recipe, then literally give them a snazzy recipe to take home.

don't be intimidated - you are there to provide them with the tools THEY will use to make great meals. HAVE FUN!!!

I cannot wait to hear about this!

And Becky you are gonna WOW them with how easy our job is, that they will begging you for an agreement!!

I emailed the host the recipes for the Fajitas and the Pineapple Salsa, and he thought it sounded great! (whew!)

There are going to be at least 12 guys there, so I also suggested a dessert. We are going to do the Pina Colada Upside Down Cake. But, I'm going to have that in the oven when they arrive.

I'm excited - but still nervous. And you are right Susan - that's why I wanted to do this menu - to maximize the number of tools I can get into their hands! I KNOW they will love the knives and cookware, if they can use it.

Just because they're foodies doesn't mean they won't appreciate an easy recipe or two. :) And we all know that they'll fall in love with the tools.

Like others have suggested, focus on the tools and NOT the recipe! I would also feature the mandoline...big time! The ones that chefs typically use are much like the old PC mandoline, where it you are not careful you will get cut.

Get them talking about what's important to THEM when preparing recipes (quality cookware, knives..etc). Then, when they start gabbing about quality cookware, you can tell them that PC's cookware is the same quality (high heat conductor, fast heat transfer, can go from stovetop to oven) and costs MUCH less than the other brands and have a lifetime warrenty.

Stuff like that :) I would LOOOOVE to have a show like yours! You are gonna have a blast!

Wow! This was so much FUN! Hilarious group of guys, and they were really into it!
The one guy who has been a chef, was REALLY into it (and I found out he is THE TOP Blues/Jazz Musician in the GR area!), and was having so much fun with the products - when I started talking about the knives, and the UM, etc...he kept stealing my best lines! For instance, I always say that a dull knife is the most dangerous thing you can have in your kitchen...but he said it before I could! Then I usually joke about how Emergency Room Dr's would rather treat a cut from a sharp knive than a dull knife, and he said that before I could! It kept happening, and finally I just said "Hey, Jimmie - you're stealing all my best lines!" Then, while I was cleaning up, he came into the kitchen and asked me lots of red flag questions! Like - how often do I work per week, and how much I make per show.....I gave him some info, and will follow up with him tomorrow, when I talk to him to get his order.

Only 3 guys placed their orders at the show. The host told them all he was closing on Wed., and that they just needed to get their orders to him by then. They heard that as "Put down your catalogs and forget about shopping right now, lets just have some fun.":rolleyes: But, with the 3 orders, I am at $313, and 1 booking for a Couples Show!

They LOVED the Pineapple Salsa! I am so glad I had printed out the Pineapple Wedger Tips w/ the Salsa Recipe on it. We made a double batch of Salsa, and they ate it all! (8 men) We also made a double batch of the DCB Fajitas, and they ate all of that except for enough for maybe one more. I had french bread and the oil dipping seasonings for them to munch on when they first got there - they ate all of that too. AND I had a Pina Colada Upside Down Cake (They LOVED the 12 inch skillet!) and they ate all of that except for 2 slices!
They were funny - because they all wanted to make sure they had all of the recipes to take home with them. I had the DCB Brochure, and the Pineapple Tips, and also the Fajitas recipe. At the end, they were all scrambling to make sure they had all of their recipes.:D:D

They were just a whole lotta fun. We laughed all the way through the show - and I have to say, they were more into it than most of the women I have at shows! Now, I want to do more of these!

Becky,
How did you originally book this show? Had one of the men attended another show you did? Just wondering....would like to book an all men show myself...sounds like lots of fun!
Jen

jross93 said:
Becky,
How did you originally book this show? Had one of the men attended another show you did? Just wondering....would like to book an all men show myself...sounds like lots of fun!
Jen
I did nothing to book this show. I met his wife one day at church, and she said that her husband loves to cook and loves PC, and that he'd been wanting to do an all-men show, but didn't know a consultant. Then, he was talking to my DH, and gave him his business card, and told him to tell me to call him to set something up.

But, now I'm hoping from this show, and from telling people at my shows that I do shows for men (hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right.:eek:) that I'll get more bookings. They were all into having Grilling Shows this summer, and if the Host doesn't sign (yes - he's thinking about it!) he's going to book another show for Summer, where we can do a Bobby Flay type throwdown around the grill!

ChefBeckyD said:
I did nothing to book this show. I met his wife one day at church, and she said that her husband loves to cook and loves PC, and that he'd been wanting to do an all-men show, but didn't know a consultant. Then, he was talking to my DH, and gave him his business card, and told him to tell me to call him to set something up.

But, now I'm hoping from this show, and from telling people at my shows that I do shows for men (hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right.:eek:) that I'll get more bookings. They were all into having Grilling Shows this summer, and if the Host doesn't sign (yes - he's thinking about it!) he's going to book another show for Summer, where we can do a Bobby Flay type throwdown around the grill!

Well, good for you, Sugar! :) LOL:D
That made me giggle when I read it- but I bet your "man-show" was great!!

ChefBeckyD said:

But, now I'm hoping from this show, and
from telling people at my shows that I do shows for men (hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right.:eek:) that I'll get more bookings. They were all into having Grilling Shows this summer, and if the Host doesn't sign (yes - he's thinking about it!) he's going to book another show for Summer, where we can do a Bobby Flay type throwdown around the grill!

I can see it now...chicks at a mens' show...

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/03/funny-pictures-peep-show-easter-candy.jpg

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I can see it now...chicks at a mens' show...

http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2008/03/funny-pictures-peep-show-easter-candy.jpg

I'm the one with all the money stuck in my elastic...umm, what would that be?:D

Too funny!! Congratulations Becky! I'm sure if your host follows up with his friends you'll be sitting pretty with a $1k show!! Way to go! Good work.

ChefBeckyD said:
I'm the one with all the money stuck in my elastic...umm, what would that be?:D

Um, apron, yeah, that's it! Your apron.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Um, apron, yeah, that's it! Your apron.

YES! That's exactly what I was thinking...;)

congrats on doing this show, Becky! Sounds like it went great and was tons of fun. Way to go on getting over your nervousness on doing this type of show. :)

how much fun Becky!! I'm happy it turned out so well for you! It's the guys that know how & like to cook, i have discovered that they are my best customers!! They know quality when they see it!
Congrats! Make sure you let us know if you recruit that guy and how the show turns out! I'm happy for you!:D:thumbup:;)

I wonder if they were more into it than women because they are "new" to this sort of thing, where as women have been attending them for a long time and know how it goes.

I'm glad you guys had a great time!

This is hilarious! My Host just called to ask me a couple questions about some outside order transactions...and he told me that the guys in his band (they were all at the show) went out and bought me a thank-you gift for being so good-natured about all of their goofing off at the show! He told me that the show was all they talked about while resting between sets at their gig that night! Can you imagine - all of the band members, at this nightclub, talking about their Pampered Chef party? :D:D:D The image makes me giggle! (If you could see these guys - tattoos, ponytails, very much a Blues/Jazz Band look!)

I don't know what it is yet, but I'm sure it will be something hilarious!

But now, they are acting like a bunch of women. I have one booking from this show, but they are deciding who books from the next show, so that they can all get a host bonus. (instead of all just booking from this show) Gheesh!

Sounds Awesome Becky! I have met a few men at events and such lately and have tried to get the to do a Guy only show... no takers yet!

ChefBeckyD said:
But now, they are acting like a bunch of women.

Unless they're in drag, I wouldn't worry about it.

;)

What did you end up using for an invitation? Did you make one up...find one...would you share? I have an interest for a "man" show or possible couples show. I'm not sure which way it's gonna go yet, but I can tell you they guys are excited to see the stuff for real after perusing the cattie!;)

He ended up doing all online and personal invitations. I was just going to use the Game Day invite if I mailed them.

Becky, my money is on a VERY funny apron for you........like the bikini body gal (not that you don't have a bikini body) OR even funnier the muscle guy that you can wear at your next show with them - since you're just one of the guys now!

1. What should I cook for the all-men show?

The most frequently asked question for the all-men show is what to cook for the event. With a group of serious cooks and chefs, it can be intimidating to come up with the perfect menu. Some suggestions could include paella, Cuban black beans and rice, or dishes from the new 29 Minutes Cookbook.

2. Is my planned menu too simple?

Another commonly asked question is if the planned menu is too simple for the event. It's important to consider the preferences and skill levels of the guests, but don't be afraid to challenge them with new and unique dishes. It's always a good idea to have a mix of simple and more complex recipes to cater to everyone's tastes.

3. Is it better to stick with traditional dishes or try something new?

Some people may wonder if it's better to stick with traditional dishes or try something new for the event. It's always fun to experiment with new flavors and recipes, but it's also important to consider the preferences of the guests. If you're unsure, you could always ask the host for their input.

4. How do I handle the pressure of cooking for such a skilled group?

It's natural to feel nervous about cooking for a group of skilled chefs and cooks. The best way to handle the pressure is to be confident in your skills and the dishes you have chosen. Remember that these guests are coming to learn from you and enjoy the food, so don't let their skills intimidate you.

5. Am I overthinking the menu for the event?

Lastly, many people may wonder if they are overthinking the menu for the event. It's important to put thought and effort into the menu, but don't let it consume you. Remember to have fun and enjoy the process of cooking for this event. Your passion and enthusiasm for cooking will shine through in the dishes you prepare.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jesusluvsu2005
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
beckypchef
Replies
Views
jbdowd0798
Replies
Views
ceg