• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrations with Downline Participation in Meetings? Let's Discuss.

In summary, the director provides incentives for coming to the meetings, but some consultants do not feel appreciated or appreciated enough. The director provides business supplies to those that attend the meetings and communicate with the director.
StephsKitchen
It has been a little frustrating for me as a Director because my downline does not come to meetings, return phone calls or emails. I know that the majority of them really aren't into their business.... or they haven't done that well because they don't work it, or haven't learned enough.

Is there anyone out there that feels the same as I do?? It is really discouraging to me that I try so hard or put an incentive out there and I don't even get a response. I know I shouldn't take things personal, BUT it is hurtful to plan something and get nothing from it.

Anyhow... help!!:confused:

We cannot make someone want what we want for them no matter how hard we try. Continue offering help and training, continue sharing with new prospective consultants, continue loving what you do! I have had months when no one came and others when everyone did.

Have faith!

This summer my director and her upline are doing a Bingo game - Three of the squares include coming to the meetings in June, July and August

The include things like listening to training materials, going to conference, doing a recruit interview, a certain number of shows etc. It doesn't have to be blackout bingo but there are incentives for each line.

We have a really nice incentive program in our cluster

I have already done a couple of things toward getting a bingo - I enjoy the meetings. On most of the other incentives we do you are no eleigible to receive your incentive or reward until you come to the meeting - Unless it is an excused absence.

Have you asked your team about it, especially the ones that seem the most interested? Maybe you can change up the frequency or time or date? Mabye in the summer since everyone is too busy you can do a conference call meeting instead of in person? My director gives out a bonus buck for each positive for the month before. Then you can add those up and turn them in for a gift cer that you want to anywhere, not just Pampered Chef. Maybe people would be more interested in earning those for coming to meetings or participating in things.

A non director consultant's point of view:
Wow! You've been a consultant for five years. You have a lot of experience to draw from for your teaching. You're a director too, so you must have a lot to offer your crew. They are missing out on a wealth of knowledge for sure.
Have you asked your consultants what they would like to learn at the meetings? Maybe you could ask each of them to talk about something or demonstrate something so they are vested in the meeting. I just started selling again so I haven't been to a meeting, yet, but when I used to sell PC I really liked going to my meetings because my director built a relationship with me in between meetings. She also held them during the day because it worked for us. At the time I just wanted to get out of the house with my baby. Then I moved and did the hospitality thing. I learned so much at those meetings and saw my business grow. That's what brought me back to them. It was hard because the meetings were in the evenings, and I didn't always want to go. Daytime worked better and I liked leaving my evenings open for family or shows. But because the meetings were so beneficial, I made time to go to them. I would talk to each consultant and ask each one what they want and why they aren't coming. Word it different, of course. Some people are self motivated (probably you?), and it's hard to understand what other people need and why. That's why you need to ask them. I tend to be that way (self motivated), but I have learned to build relationships because people always want to know you care about them more than you care about what their doing for you. Even if/though you are trying to do something for them, they may not be seeing it that way, yet.
JAE

As a Future Director, my recruits will "confide" in me about things they like or don't like about the way our Director handles things.

One of the things my group really appreciates is the ability to go home from a meeting with a couple of business supplies, whether it be a few catalogs, invitations, or just a handful of sales receipts.

My director has a list of things that will "earn" us supplies. Things like....

submitting $1250 or more in sales
Submitting 4 or more shows
Attending 3 meetings in a row
Demonstrating a recipe at a meeting
Viewing/listening to a cd or dvd and sharing a "report" on it as a training during a meeting
Attending a clustermates' show and getting new ideas, to then share at meeting

There's probably more I'm not thinking of, but you get the general idea.
She has a basket, with "picks" in it. We get to be recognized, then awarded however many "picks" for the month, and choose what we want out of the basket.

Another thing my girls seem to appreciate is kind of an "open forum", to discuss whatever's "bugging them"...usually brainstorming for business, etc.

My director used to be annoyed that no one came to the meeting and actually took notes. I talked to my girls, then "reported back" to her. They explained that, after working all day long, coming to our meeting is something they look forward to, to be able to just "connect" with other Consultants and talk about whatever they need to in their business. They are very content to attend meetings in this sort of "relaxed atmosphere". They told me, in no uncertain terms, that they do not want to feel like they've attended a lecture or a classroom when they leave.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but I found it rather "eye-opening", to get their perspective on things.

I agree with others on here. I think you should just ask each of them how you can best help them. Find out what their goals are. You may not really know, even if you think you do. Then, you can ask them, kind of like our Customer Care calls, how often they'd like to hear from you, etc.

Best wishes!!
Paula

Sometimes it helps to assign each of them something to contribute to the meeting: a review of an audio workshop, bringing a food or beverage item, teaching their host coaching skills, doing a demo.

Also, a reminder call the day before really helps.

We have a few directors in the area that we are close to because of being in the same downline. My director only has a few so we have decided to have our meetings together at a church hall with 3 sometimes 4 directors together.
we have such a good time we do have raffles too ( on time, if you bring someone, ect.) also a pick box with PC supplys or office supplys ( xx in sales, xx bookings that month , did you get the xx that month, did you bring a recipt ) We also have someone do a demo or talk about a topic and it doesnot have to be a director anyone can be involved.
I have been seeling for almost 8 years and i can count on one hand how many times I missed a meeting . I think the motovation and reconition is very important in wanting to do well.

Definitely find out what your TEAM needs from you. Poll them. Ask them what the best day for them to attend a meeting is, what they want help with and go from there. Even if 1 or 2 come, it's worth it. It falls into the category of "If you build it, they will come." Use the meeting planner. Send an evite out with what you are going to be training on. And make sure it's FUN!!! Keep in mind that if people work, it can be a drag all day long. If they are home with screaming kids, that can be a drag... all day long. If the meeting isn't fun, why would they want to come? Be sure you're making it worthwhile. There are CDs in the paperwork supply about running meetings. Get them and use their ideas. I do my recognition FIRST THING and no one wants to miss it! That gets them there on time. Also be sure to end on time. Those who want to stay and hang out are welcome to, but others who work early shifts or have kids at home can leave. I also give roses for recognition and no one wants to miss out on getting theirs! And if they don't come to the meeting, they can't get their roses the next month. (Must be present to win idea!)

As far as calling the team without them calling you back... I went through this myself. I have 21 that I call EVERY week. I don't have a set appointment time to call them but generally it's Tuesdays of each week. I call every single one and average actually getting two of them in person. The rest I leave messages for. It was REALLY frustrating!!!! BUT... I had a change in my thinking when I called everyone and told them that I was putting in all of this time and wasn't sure how they felt about it (or if they appreciated it really, but I was trying to be gentle!) In any case, the feedback I got from them BLEW my mind! They all said that even if they didn't do a show in a month or work very much, my phone calls (messages) meant so much to them and proved that no matter what, I wasn't giving up on them. After I heard that, I figured I could call them every week. Like I said, I mostly leave messages but I'm done in less than 30 minutes on average. If someone goes inactive, I call until they are into 3 month of inactivity, and then I stop calling them. I keep them on my weekly e-mail newsletter for one year until they are totally gone as a consultant.

Hope that helps --- Don't give up on them. Most people just need someone to have a little faith in them!!! It might be YOU!

My Directors has a monthly meeting AND a weekly "training" on Tuesday mornings. We prepare a recipe and talk about what is going on, ideas etc. It is very casual. I love it though. It keeps me on top of my business... and I can get out of the house with my baby. People that attend the morning meetings are not always the same ones that attend the monthly meetings. So it gives people more opportunity than just once a month.

I think all of the advice that has been posted so far is helpful. The other thing I want to tell you is that it is NORMAL! I have talked to my director about this as well. She is an executive and some months ends up with 3 people at her meeting. One thing that has helped me is that I have a lot of hospitality consultants (Hi Deb, Sherri, Cynthia and Danielle) They are all working their business, and share that excitment with the rest of the the team. Often I end up with half hosp, and half mine.
I also asked everyone what they would like to get out of the meetings. And I am changing this around to make sure that we keep the meetings on track and within a reasonable time frame. Everyone loves to get together and visit, but 3 hour meetings are hard.

I would like to add that the way a director approaches their downline about mtgs is key as well. At times reminder emails come across as almost a threat which obviously has the opposite effect, resulting in a low turn-out.

Thanks everyone for your input. I put out an email poll and I will call them all back later today. I know I shouldn't take things personally, but honestly it gets hard after a while. Does anyone agree??

I agree that it's hard not to take it personally. Keep trying new things and get feed back. Do what you can with what you have, and keep learning more. Keep us updated.
JAE

Perhaps for the summer you could just change things up a bit. Go for fun and conversational. In the fall you could go back to more info-packed type meetings.

Another idea is to check out the Lemonaid Lady's books. There's one on team meetings, which has "different" ways of doing things. Also, she is releasing a new team meetings book, and I think it comes out in August.

I realize the company already gives our directors a guideline to follow each month, but there's nothing set in stone that says you have to ALWAYS use it. I agree with the others, that it might be fun to try a new approach.

With summer here, you may even want to plan a picnic for August. By then we will know the fall products. You could have everyone bring one of the new Season's Best recipes to a picnic, which is fun, plus a great way to try them and even rate them to see if they make a good "demo" recipe!!

Best wishes!!
Paula

Oh I just thought of another good way to boost attendance at your meeting. Do activities that get your team members bonded to each other! They are more likely to come and participate if they have a friend to do it with. I am always so glad when I hear that my team members are talking and emailing each other between meetings or on a regular basis.

finley1991 said:
Definitely find out what your TEAM needs from you. Poll them. Ask them what the best day for them to attend a meeting is, what they want help with and go from there. Even if 1 or 2 come, it's worth it. It falls into the category of "If you build it, they will come." Use the meeting planner. Send an evite out with what you are going to be training on. And make sure it's FUN!!! Keep in mind that if people work, it can be a drag all day long. If they are home with screaming kids, that can be a drag... all day long. If the meeting isn't fun, why would they want to come? Be sure you're making it worthwhile. There are CDs in the paperwork supply about running meetings. Get them and use their ideas. I do my recognition FIRST THING and no one wants to miss it! That gets them there on time. Also be sure to end on time. Those who want to stay and hang out are welcome to, but others who work early shifts or have kids at home can leave. I also give roses for recognition and no one wants to miss out on getting theirs! And if they don't come to the meeting, they can't get their roses the next month. (Must be present to win idea!)

As far as calling the team without them calling you back... I went through this myself. I have 21 that I call EVERY week. I don't have a set appointment time to call them but generally it's Tuesdays of each week. I call every single one and average actually getting two of them in person. The rest I leave messages for. It was REALLY frustrating!!!! BUT... I had a change in my thinking when I called everyone and told them that I was putting in all of this time and wasn't sure how they felt about it (or if they appreciated it really, but I was trying to be gentle!) In any case, the feedback I got from them BLEW my mind! They all said that even if they didn't do a show in a month or work very much, my phone calls (messages) meant so much to them and proved that no matter what, I wasn't giving up on them. After I heard that, I figured I could call them every week. Like I said, I mostly leave messages but I'm done in less than 30 minutes on average. If someone goes inactive, I call until they are into 3 month of inactivity, and then I stop calling them. I keep them on my weekly e-mail newsletter for one year until they are totally gone as a consultant.

Hope that helps --- Don't give up on them. Most people just need someone to have a little faith in them!!! It might be YOU!

Can you be my director??????:rolleyes: I do love my Director she is very sweet and perky.. but I would LOVE to have a personal phone call!!!!!!!!!!!! I get with her once in a while and we do motivational calls ... then life gets to us.. and we eventually stop again... :) Go girl for being so consistent!!!!!

The one piece of advice I can offer that ha snot been offered before is this: If you can't change your team...change your team!
Keep recruiting...you'll start getting people who are interested in coming to meetings and working their businesses...

I started reading this thread and didn't pay any attention to the date. Suddenly, I'm reading a post by Paige! Dang, I hate when that happens. My heart skips a beat every time!

MomToEli said:
I started reading this thread and didn't pay any attention to the date. Suddenly, I'm reading a post by Paige! Dang, I hate when that happens. My heart skips a beat every time!

Sandy,
I did the exact same thing! I almost just skipped right over her post when I saw her, that's what I've been doing when one of her posts pops up. Because I just get an ache in my heart when I see her avatar. :( :( :(

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.This is an *incredible* thread though - another one of those little things that make me excited to recruit.

1. Why are people not attending my meetings?

There could be a variety of reasons why people are not attending your meetings. It could be due to conflicting schedules, lack of interest in the topic, or poor communication about the meeting details. It's important to address these issues and make changes to ensure better attendance in the future.

2. How can I make my meetings more engaging?

One way to make your meetings more engaging is to involve everyone in the discussion by asking for their input and ideas. You can also use visual aids, such as presentations or handouts, to keep attendees interested and focused. Additionally, try to keep the meeting concise and on-topic to prevent boredom.

3. What can I do to encourage attendance?

To encourage attendance, it's important to communicate the meeting details clearly and in advance. You can also offer incentives or rewards for those who attend, such as a small gift or recognition. Additionally, make sure the meeting serves a purpose and is relevant to all attendees so they feel their time is well spent.

4. Should I cancel the meeting if only a few people RSVP?

It depends on the importance of the meeting and the number of people who RSVP'd. If the meeting is crucial and will greatly impact those in attendance, it may be best to proceed with the meeting even if only a few people can attend. However, if the meeting can be rescheduled or is not urgent, it may be better to cancel and reschedule for a time when more people can attend.

5. How can I improve attendance for future meetings?

To improve attendance for future meetings, gather feedback from those who did attend and ask for suggestions on how to make the meetings more appealing. Additionally, make sure to send out meeting reminders and follow up with those who RSVP'd to confirm their attendance. You can also consider changing the meeting time or location to better accommodate everyone's schedules.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PC Mom 55
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefashleigh
  • chee65
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chee65
  • ktraceyk