• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Frustrated...guest Participation...or Not...

In summary, the conversation is about the challenges the speaker faces when trying to get women to participate in her cooking shows. She mentions that women either prefer to just sit back and visit or start crowding around the table and asking questions. She also talks about different strategies she has tried, such as giving a small gift to volunteers and setting up products around the table for people to participate in the demonstration. She also mentions the importance of observing successful consultants and learning from them. Finally, she discusses the option of doing game-filled shows if she is unable to get anyone to participate in the demonstration.
Laura4
It seems like in my area, women either would like to just sit back, relax and visit, and if I ask anyone for guest participation, then I feel like crickets are chirping, and I'm taking too long to prepare the recipe and it's like, "come on, lady...". And I HATE being stared at while I cook. :(

or

if I don't invite them to participate, then they start trying to speed things up by crowding the table, "whatcha doing?" and then start fingering the products and asking about it, and like last night, the host kind of FINALLY whispered, "is there something I can help with?", and then she started messing with the garlic press and started something new, then everyone started gathering.

So how do I go about kind of sprinkling in that I'd like volunteers?

What about giving a small gift to someone who volunteers to demo a product? I heard this on an audio training, and liked it. Going to try it myself.Or if you do something else for a game - like the "Ticket Game" for a prize drawing, they can get an Extra Ticket. My Hosp.Director did this at her show.

I'm in an area where they don't like to really participate either...so I do the got it/love it ... love it/want it game. I have one person in charge of tickets (or I use a deck of cards) and anytime someone talks about something they love you can to yell got it/love it or love it/want it! I explain the game at the beginning and I jokinly tell them that they cannot just sit there and stare at me...they have to speak up!

Another thing I do.. If I have the space.. is set up products around the table or island during the demo. We all stand around the area, and when it comes time to do certain steps people are already in front of the products. so, I'll just say.. hey Jane, you are right there.. could you wisk that up for me? Or whatever... you get it :)

The biggest thing, I think, is to go with the flow of the show! Don't ever let them see you sweat. Have fun whether they are participating or not. :)

Have you observed any other consultants in action? Pick someone out of your team or a sister team who is very successful. Watch her/him and take notes. That is what I do when I feel I need new ideas :)

It's been a few months since I've been to a show.
I sweated too much last night and I am kicking myself SO BAD.

My problem too is if I haven't done a show for say, a month, I get out of practice.
Then the nerves kick in.

Laura4 said:
It's been a few months since I've been to a show.
I sweated too much last night and I am kicking myself SO BAD.

I did this in the very beginning, too - and still do in the summer. Don't feel bad, some people do just sweat a lot. If it's nerves, you'll get over it the more you shows you do.

As for interactive here are a couple of suggestions (I didn't click on the link to the thread you posted, so these may already be in there):

I, personally, start the show by telling people I do interactive shows and expect everyone to participate. If nobody raises their hand or comes up when I ask for a volunteer, I will pick some one. I also tell them if they don't participate they don't eat (this really does work - and well!).

I went to another Consultant's (a friend, but not on my team) Grand Opening, and she had printed out and handed each guest information cards for each and every product being demo'd. When it was time to use that product in the demo, the person holding that card had to read the info, then come up and do the next step in the recipe. Everyone had fun with this, and it took A LOT of pressure off the Consultant trying to remember tips for all the tools.

If nothing else works, and you just can't get anyone to participate, try doing a game-filled show instead. Either don't have a recipe (remember, the shows are about the products, not the recipes), or have something already made before the guests arrive. Then, do a couple of games, like Queen of Shoppers, Have It/Love It/Want it. If you go in the Files section here and search 'games' you'll find a couple of extensive lists to give you more ideas. If you really want to demo tools, still, bring apples/onions/cucumbers/cheese/nuts/chocolate/garlic, etc. which can be used to show off quite a few products without making an actual recipe.

Thanks a TON!! I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from this and all of these threads!!

I love the suggestions here. I had my first show, my Grand Opening last night, and I had 2 that didn't want to help but mainly the girls loved helping!

I find that it really depends on the crowd. Some groups love to be involved (with a few exceptions). Other groups don't want to talk, move, or even grunt.

LOL Rae....so true. I let them be. =)

Such great ideas here!

I always say at my shows that if they dont want to volunteer then they will be "volun-told"
gets a few chuckles.

I have not asked for volunteers at my shows for awhile because no one ever wants to, well Sunday I had a show and I was chopping apples with the food chopper and asked if anyone wanted to try as they were all gathered around the counter. The one lady was right next to me and I said "go ahead and try" and she looked at me and RUDELY said, "I can do the same thing with a knife, I don't want to try" SO I was shot down and now I think I will just keep on doing it myself. I will have to go back and read some of the postive posts here.

I feel like I do best when I go back and forth. I encourage participation, then do some steps on my own while chatting, then ask for more participation. I feel like this has given them enough time to chit chat and relax (it IS a party afterall) while still having them try out the products. But I think it can start to drag on if you have a different guest do every different step. And people have their own reasons for not wanting to volunteer.

sassypip said:
I have not asked for volunteers at my shows for awhile because no one ever wants to, well Sunday I had a show and I was chopping apples with the food chopper and asked if anyone wanted to try as they were all gathered around the counter. The one lady was right next to me and I said "go ahead and try" and she looked at me and RUDELY said, "I can do the same thing with a knife, I don't want to try" SO I was shot down and now I think I will just keep on doing it myself. I will have to go back and read some of the postive posts here.

Hmmm, I might have been tempted to challenge her to a contest. I would have handed her a knife, cutting board, and apple and said, "Let's see who can chop an apple faster."

Yes, I would've said something about it's faster or the chopper helps you let out frustrations.

Related to Frustrated...guest Participation...or Not...

1. Why do some guests seem hesitant to participate in Pampered Chef parties?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. Some guests may feel uncomfortable with the idea of participating in cooking or kitchen activities. Others may feel pressured to purchase products or may not be interested in the products being showcased. It's important to create a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere at the party to encourage participation.

2. How can I encourage more participation from guests at my Pampered Chef party?

One way to encourage participation is to make the activities fun and interactive. Consider incorporating games or challenges that involve using Pampered Chef products. You can also offer small incentives or prizes for guests who participate. Additionally, creating a comfortable and non-judgmental atmosphere can make guests feel more at ease and willing to participate.

3. What if a guest is not interested in purchasing Pampered Chef products?

It's important to remember that not all guests will be interested in purchasing products. Some may simply be attending to support the host or to socialize. It's important to not pressure or push guests into making a purchase. Instead, focus on providing a fun and enjoyable experience for all guests, and those who are interested in purchasing will do so on their own.

4. How can I handle a guest who is being disruptive or uncooperative?

If a guest is being disruptive or uncooperative, it's important to address the situation calmly and professionally. You can politely remind the guest of the party rules and expectations, and offer to help them participate if they are having difficulty. If the behavior continues, you may need to politely ask the guest to leave the party.

5. What can I do to make sure all guests feel included and engaged during the party?

One way to ensure all guests feel included is to offer a variety of activities and demonstrations throughout the party. This will allow guests with different interests and comfort levels to participate in different ways. Additionally, try to involve all guests in conversation and make them feel welcome and valued. Encouraging guests to share their own experiences and tips can also help them feel more engaged.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• AJPratt
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • lisasfuncooking
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Chef Bobby
  • Laura4