• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Favorite Places to Eat in Chicago

In summary, the Chicago food scene is extensive and there are many places to choose from. Some places are more expensive than others, but all of them are delicious. Giardonos Pizza is a favorite and the Weber Grill Restaurant is also highly recommended.
StacieB
Gold Member
Hey all, Was wondering where your favorite places to eat in Chicago are? Our Cluster wants to try some new places this year so start sending them my way! Thanks in advance!

We went to PF Changs and to Bubba Gumps while we were there. It was a fun time :)

We went to the Weber Grill Restaurant last year. Delicious!

Giardonos Pizza is where we go every year. Yum!

Piazzaria Uno is an icon

Atwood Cafe, though a bit pricey.

There's a breakfast place about a block or so from the Hilton (the 2bath one). I think it is called Egg-trodinary Egg or something like that. The singage is bright yellow. SOOOOO Good!! The Weber Grill place is fantastic!

Chef Kearns said:
There's a breakfast place about a block or so from the Hilton (the 2bath one). I think it is called Egg-trodinary Egg or something like that. The singage is bright yellow. SOOOOO Good!! The Weber Grill place is fantastic!

Yolk? Does that sound right?

Yes Jeanine I think that's it!! LOL!! Not egg at all. LOL! Oh well. It is tasty tasty! And the prices were reasonable.

pamperedpals said:
Giardonos Pizza is where we go every year. Yum!

YES! YES! YES! I loved it!!! I can't go this year, so have a piece for me, too! :) Actually, I looked at their website and I can order a pizza and they'll pack it with dry ice and ship it! Isn't that funny?! It's expensive of course, but very tempting!! :D

I grew up in NJ and we were pizza snobs. But I have to say, that Chicago pizza was the BEST I've had! It's so different, so I guess I can't really compare it to traditional New Yorkers pizza, but I was in heaven eating it. I even took pictures of my slice and put it on my blog. :love:

babywings76 said:
YES! YES! YES! I loved it!!! I can't go this year, so have a piece for me, too! :) Actually, I looked at their website and I can order a pizza and they'll pack it with dry ice and ship it! Isn't that funny?! It's expensive of course, but very tempting!! :D

I grew up in NJ and we were pizza snobs. But I have to say, that Chicago pizza was the BEST I've had! It's so different, so I guess I can't really compare it to traditional New Yorkers pizza, but I was in heaven eating it. I even took pictures of my slice and put it on my blog. :love:

Don't do it!!! You can probably make your own version much better! We had a "Chicago Night" this past winter when our Carolina Hurricanes hockey club played the Chicago Blackhawks (it happens only ever 2 years or so)....so we ordered Chicago Hotdogs and Deep-Dish Pizzas from Lou Malnati's. The pizzas were awful! And my DH likes their stuff when we are in town...but definitely NOT the frozen/shipped kind. It was just nasty and we'll never do it again. From now on, we'll make our own Deep-dish with my stones, etc. The key is- you make it in reverse for the toppings (sausage on bottom (if you have it on there), cheese, veggies, then sauce is last I believe. But I'm sure there is a website SOMEWHERE in the great-wide internet with instructions. :) ).

esavvymom said:
Don't do it!!! You can probably make your own version much better! We had a "Chicago Night" this past winter when our Carolina Hurricanes hockey club played the Chicago Blackhawks (it happens only ever 2 years or so)....so we ordered Chicago Hotdogs and Deep-Dish Pizzas from Lou Malnati's. The pizzas were awful! And my DH likes their stuff when we are in town...but definitely NOT the frozen/shipped kind. It was just nasty and we'll never do it again. From now on, we'll make our own Deep-dish with my stones, etc. The key is- you make it in reverse for the toppings (sausage on bottom (if you have it on there), cheese, veggies, then sauce is last I believe. But I'm sure there is a website SOMEWHERE in the great-wide internet with instructions. :) ).

That's what I was curious of. I figured it wouldn't be the same. ;) The crust is the thing that I want to know how to duplicate. The flavor was awesome! Oh, and the sauce was soooo yummy, too! I wish I could get a recipe for it.

Shula's!!! Sure, I know its a chain, but we don't have any around here and OMG the steaks are awesome. If you like creme brullee--- you get a vat of it! I am dreaming about it now.

Cheesecake factory...yum!

DebbieJ said:
whatever you do, please don't eat at a chain restaurant that you have in your own hometown. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Chicago!

Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide
Chowhound Boards - Chowhound

I agree! I wouldn't go somewhere that we have around here; that wouldn't make any sense. And, I was actually surprised when I got home to learn that Shula's was a chain. We just have the crappy chains around here. Deb, you're lucky to live in an area like Chicago... not much by way of sophistication in these parts.

We usually take one evening and order in. We order pizza from Giordano's to be delivered to us at the hotel, order a movie, get into our PJs, and have a relaxing evening in. It's a lot of fun and gives us a little down time in all the craziness.

There is a little dinner behind and down the street from the Hilton called Eleven - small little diner -- awesome!!!
Of course, the pizza places are awesome!
Weber Grill is fabulous!
My dad loves the Original Pancake House, though I've never been.

oh -- I think it is the Grand Luxe, above the Ann Taylor store?! Anyway, we ate for a brunch -- omg -- fabulous pancakes, then you can get homemade chocolate chip cookies for dessert!! Heaven ....

There's an Original Pancake House in Indy. Good stuff.

For the last 3 years, I have treated my team members to a very nice dinner at Tavern on the Park. It is pricey but OHHHH so good!!!! I have never had more than 3 attend with me. I do not get conference gifts, etc. and it is my way of thanking them for spending time and money for investing in their business. You don't have to dress up fancy, just our usual dress that we wear for workshops is fine. The French Onion Soup is out of this world. :chef:

http://www.tavernatthepark.com/

Thanks all, will check these places out!

Ann - I checked out that menu. YUM!!! Usually I'm happy if I can find 2 or 3 things on a menu that I would want to get. I could make a whole dinner just from the appetizers. You're a great Director to take your team there.

DebbieJ said:
whatever you do, please don't eat at a chain restaurant that you have in your own hometown. There are so many wonderful restaurants in Chicago!
Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide
Chowhound Boards - Chowhound

I so agree!! I lived in Chicago for over 10 years and I have so many favorites, I never know where to begin! So, for steaks, I go to Sullivans or Gene and Georgettis, I know its pricy, but the steaks are out of this world! Try off the beaten path places, they are what are the heart of Chicago and so make the city the culinary powerhouse, of dreams.

You might need to take a cab or take the train to get to a few places, but it is sooooooo worth!

FYI: Chicago is also home to two of the Top Ten Coffee Houses in the Nation: Metropolis Coffee & Intelligentsia! Not neccesarily around the corner from McCormick, but if you are in the area, I would suggest you check them out!

We are looking to go to a Comedy club one night any one know of any good ones

chef131doreen said:
We are looking to go to a Comedy club one night any one know of any good ones

OMG!!! Second City!!! Its ONE of the best in the country!!! SO many comedians got thier start there. Last year my DH came to Conference with me & went there, said it was THE BEST part of his trip!!!

Becca_in_MD said:
Ann - I checked out that menu. YUM!!! Usually I'm happy if I can find 2 or 3 things on a menu that I would want to get. I could make a whole dinner just from the appetizers. You're a great Director to take your team there.

Like I said...there are usually only one or two others than me. I think I ask them to pay for their drinks, however. I was trying to think of the one sandwich I had there (oh it was much more than a sandwich!!) I think it was a prime rib French dip...and it was mainly meat not the grizzle that sometimes can come with prime rib. I am not sure who enjoys it more...my team members or me!!

I want to go the the Comedy Club. Maybe this year since we have more time we can do that. One of my team members wants to go to the aquarium.

I'll go to the comedy club with you Ann. I went to their site and couldn't see how much the tickets were. Anyone know?

BethCooks4U said:
I'll go to the comedy club with you Ann. I went to their site and couldn't see how much the tickets were. Anyone know?

My husband bought them in advance, he says they were cheap, like 25.00.
Ann Shedd Aquaruim is AWESOME, I have gone 3 years in a row now & will go this year as well!! I think its 25.00 for an all day pass & there are a few shows as well!!

BethCooks4U said:

I will keep it in mind. I have to see when the events are taking place for my ED. Because I am now an AD they my plan more.

When I was a Flight Attendant( dont want to say how many years ago that was) we went to Dicks Last Stand...... If that is still there it was awesome food and your server is like a comedian. They use and abuse you and we had such a blast going there.

gaddischef said:
There is a little dinner behind and down the street from the Hilton called Eleven - small little diner -- awesome!!!
Of course, the pizza places are awesome!
Weber Grill is fabulous!
My dad loves the Original Pancake House, though I've never been.

OMG! When I saw this Title on the front page I had to click into it to post my favorite place...................ELEVENTH CITY DINER! Fabulous....I have been wishing to go back there this whole yr since last conference!!! I have been to conference for the past 5 yrs. but never ate somewhere that has impacted me like this lil diner! My girlfriend, Shawn Prouty, from Chandler AZ have been talking about this place and getting to go back when we get there this yr!! So....Roark and Prouty give it 2 thumbs up!:D

gaddischef said:
There is a little dinner behind and down the street from the Hilton called Eleven - small little diner -- awesome!!! .

Ate there a couple of times last year.. Had a blast!

I agree about the pizza, Amanda. I am orginally from NJ myself. It is very hard not to be critical of Pizza and Bagels eaten anywhere but NJ. I can not wait to try Chicago pizza.

batroark said:
OMG! When I saw this Title on the front page I had to click into it to post my favorite place...................ELEVENTH CITY DINER! Fabulous....I have been wishing to go back there this whole yr since last conference!!! I have been to conference for the past 5 yrs. but never ate somewhere that has impacted me like this lil diner! My girlfriend, Shawn Prouty, from Chandler AZ have been talking about this place and getting to go back when we get there this yr!! So....Roark and Prouty give it 2 thumbs up!:D

YES, YES, and YES!!! This is my absolute fave place to eat in Chicago now too! I don't know if I will have anyone to hang out with on this trip to nc so if anyone wants to go to this diner with me....I am there!! The best 'loaded' french toast ever! I don't really know what it was called but it had strawberries and whipped cream and it was just so darn good!!

http://www.elevencitydiner.com/home.html

babywings76 said:

Is this the one that was on TV for the best pizza in Chicago?

bubba Gumps all the way! I look forward to it every year. Go online and get a free smoothy from them. It's valued at $4.75 I think. It was yummy!

Chef Kearns said:

Yolk is supposed to be awesome!

going to try TOPOLOBOMPO this chef has a tv show and 3 restrants in Chicago, all original Mexican flair! can't wait

sharpechef said:
going to try TOPOLOBOMPO this chef has a tv show and 3 restrants in Chicago, all original Mexican flair! can't wait

Rick Bayless--great food. Frontera Grill is right next door. VERY BUSY. Get a reservation if you can.

Several months ago I purchased 5 tickets for a walking pizza tour with Second City Pizza. It sounds amazing!! However, we're getting in too late and leaving too early to use the tickets. If there is anyone who lives in the Chicago area or will be there for conference early or stay past Friday I am willing (I NEED) to sell them. I will sell them for what I paid. The tickets were $20 a piece.

Chef Kearns said:
Several months ago I purchased 5 tickets for a walking pizza tour with Second City Pizza. It sounds amazing!! However, we're getting in too late and leaving too early to use the tickets. If there is anyone who lives in the Chicago area or will be there for conference early or stay past Friday I am willing (I NEED) to sell them. I will sell them for what I paid. The tickets were $20 a piece.

I'll ask around, Sandra. Since I live here, we can use them anytime. I bought two for myself already.

Thank you Deb!! I hope I can move them. They sound awesome. I've tried to contact the company to see if they could somehow schedule one for us since we're coming in from out of town. I know that's a long shot, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Related to Favorite Places to Eat in Chicago

1. What are some popular restaurants in Chicago?

Some popular restaurants in Chicago include Alinea, Girl & the Goat, and The Purple Pig.

2. What are some budget-friendly options for dining in Chicago?

For budget-friendly options, try Portillo's, Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, or The Wiener's Circle.

3. Where can I find the best deep dish pizza in Chicago?

The best deep dish pizza in Chicago can be found at Giordano's, Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, and Pequod's Pizza.

4. Are there any rooftop restaurants with a view in Chicago?

Yes, there are several rooftop restaurants with a view in Chicago, such as Cindy's Rooftop, The J. Parker, and Raised, an Urban Rooftop Bar.

5. What are some must-try local dishes in Chicago?

Some must-try local dishes in Chicago include Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, and deep dish pizza.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jwpamp
  • Chef Bobby
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
Replies
Views
ChefShalon