• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Farmers Market Tips for Newcomers

In summary, Heather suggests doing a Farmers' Market like any other fair, having products displayed, giving out catalogs, and taking samples.
chefmom
Hi!!! I am doing a local farmers market this month and could use some suggestions. I figured I set up a table for people to "play" with the products with apples and pototoes. I think I read something about doing a cert. for the vendors??? I have done one craft fair and this is my 2 SS, and I don't know what to expect--new to this town/state. Thanks. I LOVE this site!!! :D

RE Farmers MarketHello
I do a farmers market may-oct in our town, every other week. if you email me at [email protected], i can tell you more.. tons of stuff you can do! What state are you in??
take care
Heather

Heather,

I would like some ideas for Farmers Market as well. Could you post them here for us all, so you won't get bombarded with lots of individual requests? I know we would all greatly appreciate it! :D Of course, any one else with ideas should jump right in also!

Thanks,

Dawn

I would do it just like I would any other fair...have my products displayed, have old catalogs to hand out, free prize drawing slips to fill out for a free product or free kitchen show, and I take samples (dip with pretzels, cookies, etc.)

There are a bunch of files here. Just do a search for FAIRS.

OK - so you all want to do Farmers' Markets. I do two in my town. Not a bad idea - BUT, the nitty gritty is as follows: You MUST follow the guidelines put forth by the Farmers' Market Assn - food MUST be in season - which means no apples or broccoli in the middle of the Spring! Even though your PRIMARY interest in the PC, customers come there, and the market is made expressly for, local farmers' produce. There have been other PC consultants booted out because they did not follow these guidelines. Be very aware of the rules of each market - they will give you copies of the guidelines.

1. What are the best days and times to visit the farmers market?

The best days to visit the farmers market are typically on weekends, as most markets are open on Saturdays and Sundays. As for the best time, it is recommended to arrive early in the morning when the market first opens. This will ensure you have access to the freshest produce and a wider variety of options.

2. How do I know which produce is in season at the farmers market?

One of the best ways to know which produce is in season at the farmers market is to research ahead of time. You can also ask the vendors at the market for their recommendations. Another helpful tip is to look for signage or labels on the produce that indicate when it was harvested.

3. Can I negotiate prices at the farmers market?

While some vendors may be open to negotiating prices, it is not common practice at farmers markets. The prices are typically set by the farmers themselves, taking into account their production costs. However, you can always ask if they offer any discounts for bulk purchases.

4. Are there any tips for selecting the best produce at the farmers market?

Yes, there are a few tips for selecting the best produce at the farmers market. First, look for produce that is free of bruises or blemishes. Also, pay attention to the smell and feel of the produce. It should be firm and have a fresh, earthy smell. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask the vendors for their recommendations on the best produce of the day.

5. Can I bring my own bags to the farmers market?

Yes, most farmers markets encourage shoppers to bring their own reusable bags or baskets. Not only does this help reduce waste, but it also makes it easier for you to carry your purchases. Some vendors may even offer discounts for bringing your own bags.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Bill Faber
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
babywings76
  • ChefEileen