• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Family Car/Van/Suv Recommendations??

In summary, the person loves their Hyundai Santa Fe, their Saturn Vue, and their Jeep Patriot. They recommend the Edmunds website to read customer reviews before purchasing a car.
janezapchef
Gold Member
I'm stealing someone else's idea to ask for recommendations on this. Our little cars are getting very old, and we are going to need to buy a new one soon. We want to go bigger, but we're not sure we HAVE to have a van. We definitely aren't against them, but we aren't made of gold either. Anyone have a family car you love and want to share what's so great about it? My kids are 4 and 2 if that puts it into perspective, and we generally drive our cars into the ground. So, any advice???????
TIA,
Jane :)

LOVE my hyundai santa fe

I love my Saturn Vue. Love it. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Unless it was for one that was fully paid for, of course! :) But honestly, it holds a LOT, great for kids, gets pretty good gas mileage.

sklay723 said:
I love my Saturn Vue. Love it. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Unless it was for one that was fully paid for, of course! :) But honestly, it holds a LOT, great for kids, gets pretty good gas mileage.

Ooh Ooh! I completely second this!

I LOVE:love: my Vue! It is the perfect vehicle for me! It does everything you want a car or SUV to do, easy to get kids and cargo in and out of it, handles and drives well, and gets good gas mileage. I went with the 4 cyl. stick shift....because if we want something with more get up and go...we have DH's truck. Mine gets me everywhere I need to go - at about 25 mpg around town and 30 mpg when we are driving highway!

eta - Mine is a 2002 - we bought it new when they first came out....and I still love it today as much as I did when I first bought it - and I've had absolutely no problems with it!

I have a Honda CRV. I have had it 4 years and put almost 81,000 miles on it. I have not had ONE problem with it. I do baby my car though. I always change the oil when I should and put new tires and brakes on it, you know the normal stuff. It has the side curtin air bags all the way around the car. I like the height of the car because when Bean was little I didn't have to bend down to put her in the car. Now she can just climb right in. It gets GREAT gas mileage, even better then my husbands little car. I had the whole thing Teflon'ed when we got it. Well worth the money. When my 5 year old spills something it just rolls right off.

Last edited:
DH and I bought a Jeep Patriot a year and a half ago when I was pregnant because we wanted something a little newer and safer. But I didn't want something that I had to try to climb into either.We had 2 Jeep Cherokee's which we loved, but they don't make them anymore. The Patriot is great because on the outside it's similar to a car (low to the ground), but it has a ton of room on the inside. Last summer we took a trip with my parents and my dad (who's 6'5") spend 6 hours in the backseat behind me. He had plenty of head and leg room and I didn't have to ride with the seat jammed into the dashboard, plus our lab rides comfortably in the very back too.We get decent gas mileage. It usually averages out to the mid 20's, but we also drive about 80 miles a day with it and half of that is over the interstate. So city driving would be lower.And the seats are pretty kid-proof. If they get wet the liquid just beads up on it. And you can get it with side curtain airbags, and even with heated front seats (which I highly recommend for those cold winter mornings!)

Thanks everyone! These are definitely some choices I hadn't considered yet!

Anyone else?

I just bought a Land Rover LR2. The LR is very comfortable and have great features. Ti is very roomy. We were considering getting the 2009 Suburau Forrester but the passenger seat was very uncomfortable. We travel alot and it would be painful to ride in the passenger seat longer than 30 minutes. I recommend this website to read customer reviews. http://www.edmunds.com

Test drive the car on the interstate.

Thank you everyone! I will let you know what we decide on when it happens!

Oh, and I check out Edmunds quite a bit, but I think word of mouth from people in similar circumstances as you means a lot more than random customer reviews. That could be my brother, who's not married and has no kids saying a car is great, but that's not the same as a review from a mom/dad. I wish they let you know that stuff on there! Ha!

Thanks again!

We just bought a Volvo XC90. OH MY WORD!!! We LOVE it!!! It is so roomy and nice. The seats are comfortable and my daughter loves the built in DVD system. There is a built in booster seat in the second row perfect for the little ones. Not a lot of leg room when you put people in the third row, that is really just for kids. But it is so nice and has tons of great standard features.

Happy shopping!!!

My sister has the Chevy Equinox and absolutely LOVES it! I drive a Surburban and adore it, but it does eat gas! (actually my 2008 is better then my 2004 was) I think you should try a bunch and see what feels most comfortable! Best of luck!

PamperedDor said:
My sister has the Chevy Equinox and absolutely LOVES it! I drive a Surburban and adore it, but it does eat gas! (actually my 2008 is better then my 2004 was) I think you should try a bunch and see what feels most comfortable! Best of luck!

I agree. We test-drove almost every small SUV type vehicle out there before deciding on the Vue. For me, it was the most comfortable for driving - had adult sized leg room in the back seat (MANY of the small SUV's don't), and all the other things I mentioned. But we tried all kinds before deciding.

toyota sienna I love it--

Love my Volvo XC70! Not as big as an SUV, but bigger than a sedan - perfect for my family. And, so easy to load my PC stuff :)

We just purchased a Honda Odyssy, and LOVE IT. A couple of our friends have bought the Hyundai mini-van (don't know the model name), and really love them as well. They say the seats are wider and more comfortable.

I have a Buick Rendevous, LOVE IT!

Sport/Utility Of The Year: Subaru Forester

Love mine! It's not huge so be sure to check and see if it will work for your family. It's great for carrying my Pampered Chef stuff and I would think two kids would fit fine in the back seat. Good gas mileage, safe and doesn't cost a fortune. Subarus are built to be run for many, many miles.

Toyota Sienna...love it. I have owned lots of vehicles before and this is the only one I have loved enough to keep. I only have 8 payments left...yeah! It has 135,000 miles on it and it is still going strong.

arwen513 said:
DH and I bought a Jeep Patriot a year and a half ago when I was pregnant because we wanted something a little newer and safer. But I didn't want something that I had to try to climb into either.

We had 2 Jeep Cherokee's which we loved, but they don't make them anymore. The Patriot is great because on the outside it's similar to a car (low to the ground), but it has a ton of room on the inside. Last summer we took a trip with my parents and my dad (who's 6'5") spend 6 hours in the backseat behind me. He had plenty of head and leg room and I didn't have to ride with the seat jammed into the dashboard, plus our lab rides comfortably in the very back too.

We get decent gas mileage. It usually averages out to the mid 20's, but we also drive about 80 miles a day with it and half of that is over the interstate. So city driving would be lower.

And the seats are pretty kid-proof. If they get wet the liquid just beads up on it. And you can get it with side curtain airbags, and even with heated front seats (which I highly recommend for those cold winter mornings!)

They still make the Jeep GRAND Cherokee though and I really do like ours a lot! We really like our car and 3 car seats can fit in the back (very snug but they fit) and we have leg room if we ever ride in the back!

We have a Honda Odessey and love it, prior to that we had a Honda Pilot which I loved as well, but if you have more than 1 car seat it didn't work to well. Trunk space was small when the 3rd row was not down, but it drove great and I loved it. I love Hondas, never had a problem with my Hondas :)
Good luck

Ok. I hate my chevrolet trailblazer. I got it on 05 and tried to trade it at honda a few weeks ago, get this, they offered me 7k! needless to say, I am keeping the gas guzzler. It's a cute car, but resale is horrible and gas is even worse. I've also had a few minor things go out on it. Good luck in whatever you decided

We got a Kia Sportage two years ago and I really love it. It is easy to drive, and not too bad on the gas. We have a Kia dealership here in the area who offers ALL OF YOUR SCHEDULED MAINTINENCE FOR FREE, so that is why we went with the Kia over the Saturn VUE. My SIL has the VUE and loves it!

Love my Hyundai Santa Fe. Check it out for safety -- can't be beat -- airbags all over the place. The warranty is also fabulous. I take care of my 3 grandsons daily (twins are 4 and baby brother is 1.5) and often go places with them. The back seat fits my two boosters and one car seat. I also have the luxury of two extra fold down seats in the rear, but haven't used them. The back gate opens nicely to fit a stroller and any shopping bags. And did I forget, it also nicely carries all the Pampered Chef that I would ever need to take to a party or fair at a nice level for easy entry and exit.The Santa Fe goes automatically into 4 wheel drive for me, which is nice in snow country of NYS.I used to have a Honda CRV which was okay for the twins, but when their baby brother came along I upgraded.Good luck with your car search.

pjpamchef said:
I have a Buick Rendevous, LOVE IT!

TOO FUNNY pjpamchef!!! We have way too much in common! LOL I have a Buick Rendevous also! Love mine too. I don't think they make them anymore though. It is the most comfortable SUV I've ever been in, feels just like riding in a luxury car. They have the same suspension as the Buick cars.

I haven't read through everyone else's replies, but I can tell you that Subaru rocks.
My mom is on her second Forester and is looking to buy the 2009 next fall.
We also just bought a 2005 Outback and so far we love it!

They both have tons of room, are super safe and are great to lug kids and stuff around!

From a PC standpoint - I love how the cargo area is not set in like a car. You can just slide your totes in and out without having to LIFT it in and out of the trunk!

Subaru's also have great resale value and they last forever, so you might pay a little more for a used.
Like I said, we bought a 2005 Outback with 79,000 miles for $12,400 but we definitely feel like we got a great deal!

Thank you all so much! I feel SOOOOO much more informed now!

I have a Kia family. My sister in law and I both drive Kia Sedona vans and my dad has a Berrego and an Optima. I love my Sedona. It has a lot of great features (like indicators that tell me when tires are low) and they cost less than other foreign made vans. My dad just got a Berrego, which is the 7 passenger SUV. He had a Sorrento before that. He liked the Sorrento but wanted something he could take my brother's family with him and have enough room for all.

Yeah I have a trailblazer too. Hate it. But I can't get more than 8,000 for it and we owe 9,000. So it stays. But I hate it.

nikked said:
We just purchased a Honda Odyssy, and LOVE IT. A couple of our friends have bought the Hyundai mini-van (don't know the model name), and really love them as well. They say the seats are wider and more comfortable.

I second this!

LOVE THIS VAN!

Its so comfortable and roomy

I don't have one, but I LOVE the Ford Edge... & my aunt has a Lexus RX330 that is absolutely amazing..

I have a Ford Explorer... GAS GUZZLER... I haven't got better than 18mpg since I bought it a year ago.. But it is a nice vehicle..

Nanisu said:
Yeah I have a trailblazer too. Hate it. But I can't get more than 8,000 for it and we owe 9,000. So it stays. But I hate it.

When we were overseas we had ordered a tralblazer but decided to go mini-van instead. Thank goodness! But I traded my mini-van in a year ago for a Chrysler Aspen. Oh I love my truck!!!:love:

I have a Toyota Sienna and I LOVE It!! Rides like a car, but has enough room for everyone. If you want, I can let you test drive it at the next cluster meeting!

I have a KIA sadonnaand love it! We bought it when I was eight monthe preg. with Christopher. I was able to get in and out easy and the girls are able to get in by themselves. Three kids in car seats with no problem. TONS of cup holders and we love that the back seats are stow & go. And you can't beat the warranty on a KIA!!!!

Nanisu said:

YouTube - Chevy Trailblazer SS and Corvette Ballet My husband drives for a living and this is what he did in a trailblazer! He worked for GM at the time and was doing a moral boost for the workers at the factory. We really aren't sure how it got on youtube, since it was a high security deal! I have given my thoughts on American cars in the past. I only have to say that GM is doing really bad. They have laid off so many and we got caught up in the last lay off despite my husband's expertise and abilities in teaching. He was hired by VW the day he was laid off by GM! Buy the van you want. I am a little disheartened by the whole GM experience. He worked their l5 years! I heard that the company will be bankrupt by June 2009. I am not recommending you buy one, but rather warning you that if you do you may not have a dealership to honor "factory warranty". Sooo sad! We loved GM!

I have a Honda CRV- had it since 1998 and it has 170,000 miles on it and has NEVER broken down! I LOVE my car and would buy another one just like it if it died today.

I have a leased Trailblazer. I HATE the MPG!! Actually, my car salesman called me last night and said with the incentives going on right now he can get me out of my lease 6 months early. We're looking at the Uplander or Malibu. I like the Uplande b/c I would like a van to have more room but I like the MPG of the Malibu. Basically, I am sure the payment will help me make my decision. I did find out my insurance will go DOWN with the Uplander and it will go UP with the Malibu.

In theory I want the van but I am a little nervous about not liking it nice I get it. He is letting me come get one Friday and drive it until Saturday to help me decide.

He is suppose to call me today with an estimate on my payments for each.

I agree the the TB is a gas GUZZLER!! It's bad when a Tahoe get sbetter MPG. I had minor problem when we first got it too and had to fix something minor a few months ago. That's another reason I want it gone, I do not want the minor to turn into major. And I will NEVER lease again!

Last edited:
I looooove the looks of the malibu Jennifer, but have you looked at the trunk? That was the car I was going to trade for but the trunk is almost nonexistant. Good luck with the car search.

tabnat80 said:
I looooove the looks of the malibu Jennifer, but have you looked at the trunk? That was the car I was going to trade for but the trunk is almost nonexistant. Good luck with the car search.

No I haven't - just looked at them going down the road. If I do not have much room inside a big trunk is a MUST! The one thing I love about my TB is being able to put whatever I want in it without having to goget Russell's truck.

How have you been?

I'm researching the Vollkswagon Routan.

My car dealer just called my estimated payments are as follows:

Uplander 450
Malibu 325-350
Impala 385

I wanted to stay around $360, so, it looks like the Uplander is out unless he comes up with some savings.

My best friend has an Impala and loves it. She has 3 kids -- ages 7,4 and 2 and plenty of room in the car and the trunk. I would seriously consider it if I go with a "car" and not something bigger. Just fyi.

And, thank you so much again to everyone for chiming in here. My husband was blown away when I showed him all of the responses! :)

1. What are the top recommended family cars/vans/SUVs?

The top recommended family cars/vans/SUVs include the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Tahoe, and Subaru Ascent.

2. Is it necessary to have a van for a family?

No, it is not necessary to have a van for a family. Many families find that SUVs or larger cars provide enough space and functionality for their needs.

3. Are there any specific features to look for in a family car?

Some important features to look for in a family car include ample seating and storage space, safety features such as airbags and backup cameras, and child-friendly features like built-in DVD players or power sliding doors.

4. How do I determine if a car is suitable for my family's needs?

Consider your family's size, lifestyle, and budget when determining if a car is suitable for your needs. Test driving and researching different models can also help you make an informed decision.

5. How often should I replace my family car?

This depends on the individual car and how well it has been maintained. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to replace a car every 8-10 years or when it starts experiencing frequent and costly repairs.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Marg
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
Replies
Views
PamperedCaniac
  • Dayna
  • General Chat
Replies