• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Best Car Suggestions for Families: Ford Escape Hybrid, Honda Accord & More!

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker needing a new car and seeking suggestions and opinions from others. They have three kids and are looking for a 2 row, 5 seater with a roomy backseat. They are considering the Ford Escape Hybrid, Honda Accord, Mazda 5, VW Passat wagon, and Subaru Outback wagon. Others suggest the Chrysler Pacifica, Toyota hybrid SUV, Ford Flex, Chevy Malibu, Nissan Altima, Nissan Rogue, and Chevy Equinox. Some recommend getting a car with 3 rows to fit all the car seats. The speaker's sister has a Pacifica and loves it, while the speaker drives a Suburban and is considering a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry for a smaller
peichef
DH needs a new car. Soon. Since he's basically left it up to me to decide what to get, I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, etc. I think I'll use this week to test drive cars (so as to keep my mind off missing my DD who starts school tomorrow).

Note: his one condition is NO MINIVAN. (Which is a shame b/c I have wanted a mini van since about 1984/85.)

We have 3 kids - 2 in boosters, one in a car seat (she's five, but tiny. At this rate, she' may not get to a booster seat until she's 8.) So if we go with a 2 row, 5 seater, it needs to have a roomy back seat. We are tight in the back with our Santa Fe (not the car we're getting rid of) .

So, here's what I'm thinking... but please add your suggestions (& opinions if you own any of these vehicles).

Ford Escape Hybrid
Honda Accord
Mazda 5
VW Passat wagon
Subaru Outback wagon

Thoughts, suggestions,.....

I have a Chrysler Pacifica 3 rows. It is a cross over and i LOVE IT i will never give it up!

how about the toyota hybrid suv?

i have a scion xa, which is tiny. if i had to do it all over, i'd seriously consider one of the ones on your list or the toyota hybrid suv

have fun!!!

What about a Ford Flex? Get's good gas mileage and seats 7. I know it is a newer vehicle, but I didn't know if you were looking at used or new.

I love my Chevy Malibu!

I have an Escape, and I love it. That being said, I have the V6, and I only have one car seat, so I can't say much for the space thing.

There were two reasons why we did not go with the hybrid:

1. Hubby wanted me to have the V6 for it's power
2. The hybrid cost so much more that even with the tax break and a $3000 rebate from work, we still couldn't see the gas savings as overriding the extra cost.

Oh, my mom has the VW Passat Wagon, she bought it before they moved back to Finland (My dad got a Honda CR-V). She doesn't need car seats for us kids anymore, so don't know about that either. She does keep mentioning how it is all computerized, and she's still figuring out how some of the things work a year later.

We like Nissan's. I have an Altima and my DH has the Rogue (small cross-over). We only have 2 carseats and I think a third would be a tight squeeze in the Altima, but I think would fit well in the Rogue. We love the Rogue.

If given the choices that you mentioned above, I'd go with the Escape, I used to have a Tribute (which is the exact same thing as the Escape) and I think it would be good with 3 seats, not sure about the sedan-type cars.

Good luck car hunting!!!

May I suggest a Chevy Equinox? It's a cross-over (cross between a mini-van and an SUV). Love mine! :love: It's an AWD and isn't too bad on fuel (10.2 L/100 km).

Let us know what you decide!! :)

I have two boosters and a rear facing convertable car seat, and I haven't found any car that can fit all of them 3 across, not to mention that if I can shove them all 3 across it is hard to get the middle child in, and probably not safe. IMO you really need something with 3 rows. I have a minivan, but even with an SUV with 3 rows you will be able to spread the carseats over the 2 rows. I would also look at an SUV with foldable or removable middle row seats to allow easy access to the back row. We totally removed one of the seats in our middle row to allow my bigger ones tons of room to get in their seats, and I have my 15 month old rear facing in the other seat in the middle row. Good luck!

PChefPEI said:
May I suggest a Chevy Equinox? It's a cross-over (cross between a mini-van and an SUV). Love mine! :love: It's an AWD and isn't too bad on fuel (10.2 L/100 km).

Let us know what you decide!! :)

My sister has this and LOVE LOVE LOVES it!!! Pacifica is a cutie as well and I have never heard anyone disllike it - I drive a Suburban and love it (2008) and we are buying a littler car for the around town stuff (and to teach #2 how to drive since my car is big and dh drives a silverado truck!) Looking into a Honda accord or Toyota Camry.....

I cannot help you, but wanted to chime in and say I LOVE MY VW BEETLE. Seats only 4, and the back is tight. ;)

You know, a lot of car companies have incentives for test drives -- gift cards, etc. Check for those before you go driving!

I had the Pontiac version of the Chevy Equinox and long story short...Pontiac bought it back from me less than 18 months after I bought it AND gave me an unbelievable deal on a 2008 Buick Lucerne... Love my new land cruiser (that's what I call it-it rides sooo smoothly!)

Anyway, I had an Envoy and LOVED it! I only traded it in so DH could have a pick-up. I miss my Envoy, even though I LOVE my pretty, new Buick...

The Rogue is a fun cross-over to drive I had a boss that let me drive his. I prefer SUV's-

Shop around and tell the dealer you will not pay a dollar over dealer invoice.

I've never paid anything over dealer invoice and DH and I buy or lease a car every 3-4 years. (and before you poo-poo me for that luxury- we do not have any children so we waste our money on new cars!) ;)

peichef said:
DH needs a new car. Soon. Since he's basically left it up to me to decide what to get, I'm looking for opinions, suggestions, etc. I think I'll use this week to test drive cars (so as to keep my mind off missing my DD who starts school tomorrow).

Note: his one condition is NO MINIVAN. (Which is a shame b/c I have wanted a mini van since about 1984/85.)

We have 3 kids - 2 in boosters, one in a car seat (she's five, but tiny. At this rate, she' may not get to a booster seat until she's 8.) So if we go with a 2 row, 5 seater, it needs to have a roomy back seat. We are tight in the back with our Santa Fe (not the car we're getting rid of) .

So, here's what I'm thinking... but please add your suggestions (& opinions if you own any of these vehicles).

Ford Escape Hybrid
Honda Accord
Mazda 5
VW Passat wagon
Subaru Outback wagon

Thoughts, suggestions,.....

The honda may be tight for 5 people and the Mazda 5 will be because I sold mine with just 1 child. LOL
I personally love my Jeep Cherokee and I have 2 - 5 year olds (one is my nephew that does school carpool with me but they are in booster seats) and my newborn in the back seat everyday in a HUGE Chicco Carseat LOL!! The Chysler 300 is a roomy car.... LOVE volkswagons!! Also the volvo's are very nice and roomy!! My FIL has the escape and it is nice but honestly his is not as roomy as I thought it would be but my MIL has a Dodge Charger and she has lots of room!!!

1. Which is the best car for a family, Ford Escape Hybrid or Honda Accord?

The best car for a family ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the family. Both the Ford Escape Hybrid and Honda Accord are popular choices for families, but they have different features and capabilities. The Ford Escape Hybrid is a spacious and fuel-efficient SUV, while the Honda Accord is a reliable and comfortable sedan. It is important to consider factors such as budget, size, and desired features when deciding between these two options.

2. Is the Ford Escape Hybrid a good choice for families with young children?

Yes, the Ford Escape Hybrid can be a great choice for families with young children. It offers ample space for car seats and strollers, as well as plenty of storage room for all the necessary gear. The hybrid engine also makes it an environmentally friendly and cost-effective option for family trips and everyday use.

3. How does the Honda Accord compare to other family cars in terms of safety?

The Honda Accord consistently ranks high in terms of safety and reliability, making it a popular choice for families. It comes equipped with advanced safety features such as a rearview camera, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking. Additionally, the Honda Accord has received top ratings in crash tests from reputable organizations such as the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

4. What sets the Toyota Sienna apart from other family cars?

The Toyota Sienna is a popular choice for families due to its spacious interior and versatile seating options. It can comfortably seat up to eight passengers and offers features such as a rear-seat entertainment system and a built-in vacuum cleaner. The Sienna also has a strong reputation for reliability and safety, making it a top choice for families.

5. What are some key factors to consider when choosing a family car?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a family car include safety, space, and budget. It is also important to think about the specific needs and preferences of your family, such as the number of passengers, desired features, and type of driving (city or highway). Additionally, researching the reliability and fuel efficiency of different car models can help narrow down the options and find the best fit for your family.

Back