• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Facebook Users - Beware of Virus in Message

In summary, someone on Jennifer Stephens' friends list got a virus and she was able to warn them before it affected them.
AnnieBee
Gold Member
This afternoon I got a Facebook message from (I thought!) Jennifer Stephens that included a link that I stupidly clicked on. Now I have an annoying virus on my laptop that I can't get rid of... DH is still working on it... I'm kicking myself for clicking on it, I'm normally VERY cautious about links and emails...

So, if anyone else gets a FB message from me or Jennifer (or anyone else for that matter!) DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK. Just delete the whole message without looking at it. Or only click on links if there is something personal in the message that lets you know that it is really from that person. For instance, I recently sent a message that included links to sites for some recipes. This person knew (I hope) that it was from me from the content of the email, because I talked about the recipes, and my name was in the body of the "email" too.

Hope this helps someone to avoid this annoyance...

PS Jennifer, don't worry, I don't blame you!

Thaks for letting us know

I got a virus a couple weeks ago. I was on Farm town and all of a sudden it said I had a virus, my DH spent all day getting the stupid thing off. He finally paid for a program to get it off and it still took us 3 or 4 times.

Poor Jennifer! She tried to warn people before they got it. Thankfully I got her warning. I Hope your computer gets fixed. Jennifer doesnt have a CS account anymore! And she feels terrible!! Sorry Annie (from Jennifer!)

Someone on my friends list was hit with one the other day. A message with a video link was sent to everyone in her list. So if you see a message in your FB inbox with a subject like "video link from XXX", don't even open it. Just delete it.

What do you mean she's not on CS anymore???????????

And yep, I did see her warning this evening...

I'm not on FB too much, and when I checked in today and saw that I had a message I was so excited I went there before I had read anything anyone had posted...

DH thinks he has finally fixed it. I'm still kicking myself for clicking on the link, I am normally SO carefull and err on the side of caution. I'm fairly savvy about scams and thatt kind of thing.

Oh well, lesson learned!

Now I just hope that I haven't infected anyone else...

I got a FB message from someone I know from another board. I PM'd her and said I could not understand her message and could not access FB at work and asked her to PM me if it was important. Turned out it was a virus that sent out the e-mail. Good thing I was at work b/c I clicked on it without thinking!

vwpamperedchef said:
Poor Jennifer! She tried to warn people before they got it. Thankfully I got her warning. I Hope your computer gets fixed. Jennifer doesnt have a CS account anymore! And she feels terrible!! Sorry Annie (from Jennifer!)

I wondered what happened to her! Sorry she's not on here anymore, I'll have to look her up on FB...

Does anyone know what the virus is called? My sister got a virus and thought her daughter got it some how, I'm thinking she or her husband may have done it since they are on Facebook ALL of the time!

It was some kind of virus you get when you try to look at a video.

Thanks,

Ah Ha!! Now I know where I got the virus I was fighting last Thursday. It took me till midnight to clean my laptop up.
Thanks for the info!!

Annie, she hasnt been on CS for MONTHS. Her subscription expired and she did not renew.

pampchefrhondab said:
Does anyone know what the virus is called? My sister got a virus and thought her daughter got it some how, I'm thinking she or her husband may have done it since they are on Facebook ALL of the time!

It was some kind of virus you get when you try to look at a video.

Thanks,

Don't know what it is called. DH did all the windows up-dates and up-dates for our virus checker (we use AVG) and was finally able to get rid of it.

I think it is a kind of "hijacker" virus, for what that is worth...

And I think Jennifer still has it, because I just got another suspicious looking FB message from her!

Please let me know if anyone gets anything from me... Hopefully we took care of it quickly enough...

chefann said:
Someone on my friends list was hit with one the other day. A message with a video link was sent to everyone in her list. So if you see a message in your FB inbox with a subject like "video link from XXX", don't even open it. Just delete it.

I received two of those emails this week and just deleted them!:eek:

And another "doodle picture" one or maybe it was spam... floating around awhile ago on FB!

the virus I got it popped up and said I had a virus and to get rid of it click here to download the virus scan. Well I freaked out couldnet get a hold of DH and accidentaly clicked on the link. DH was able to get it off but it took some time.

Jennie, I had the same thing happen a week or so ago. Freaked me out! I think for me it was just a pop up thing to make it seem like I had a virus. Either that or it was, but since I'm on a Mac it didn't do anything. Still kind of confused on that. :rolleyes:

AnnieBee said:
Don't know what it is called. DH did all the windows up-dates and up-dates for our virus checker (we use AVG) and was finally able to get rid of it.

I think it is a kind of "hijacker" virus, for what that is worth...

And I think Jennifer still has it, because I just got another suspicious looking FB message from her!

Please let me know if anyone gets anything from me... Hopefully we took care of it quickly enough...

I use AVG too! Cool!! I had the free version and upgraded to the cheap version when it was done doing it's thing I had 16 infections and it 'healed' them all. But it took f o r e v e r!

There are still more floating around on Facebook. I got a message from another cheffer and the subject was how did you get into this video. I deleted it.

Really sad that everywhere we go online things like this are happening.

My computer is doing it's normal virus scan this morning and I hope I come out clean!

GRRR.. I received two of these this week, DID NOT click on the links but still got the stupid virus after opening the inbox message to see the link but totally avoided clicking on the link. DH is trying to fix my laptop but says it's not looking good! :(
Sorry peops on FB~

heat123 said:
GRRR.. I received two of these this week, DID NOT click on the links but still got the stupid virus after opening the inbox message to see the link but totally avoided clicking on the link. DH is trying to fix my laptop but says it's not looking good! :(
Sorry peops on FB~

Yep - I got a message from you today about my new career in video!

I knew it wasn't really from you though.;)

I am currently trying to get rid of one also! It looks like it has hit a ton of people, it's a little scary how easily these people who create these things can screw with your lives!

1. How can I tell if I have received a virus in a Facebook message?

If you have received a suspicious message from a Facebook user that includes a link or a request for personal information, it is likely a virus. Be cautious and do not click on any links or provide any personal information.

2. What should I do if I have clicked on a suspicious link in a Facebook message?

If you have already clicked on a suspicious link in a Facebook message, immediately run a virus scan on your device and change your Facebook password. It is also important to report the suspicious message to Facebook.

3. Can I get a virus from simply opening a Facebook message?

No, you cannot get a virus from simply opening a Facebook message. However, clicking on links or downloading attachments within the message can potentially expose your device to a virus.

4. How can I protect myself from viruses in Facebook messages?

To protect yourself from viruses in Facebook messages, be cautious of messages from unknown or suspicious users, avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from these messages, and regularly update your antivirus software.

5. Can I trust messages from my Facebook friends?

While most messages from your Facebook friends are likely safe, hackers can also use their accounts to send out viruses. If a message seems suspicious or out of character for your friend, it is best to verify with them before clicking on any links or providing personal information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• WendyE
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • winklermom
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • magentablue