• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

My Facebook Page Is for My Customers and Hosts

I don't know, a million times...it might be better to not share info at all. I understand your concerns, Noora, and I think that it's important to be thoughtful about how we share our content on social media. We should always be sure to give credit where credit is due, and be mindful of the way that our content may be used by others.
NooraK
Gold Member
This is something that kind of came up before Spring Launch. I do not intend this to be personal against anyone, but I know I've been in a situation (more than once :D) where I did not realize something until someone else pointed it out to me. And I don't believe anyone is doing the things I am experiencing with any malicious intent.

I created my Facebook Page as a way to connect with my Customers and Hosts.

I know a lot of other consultants have "liked" my page, and I also have "liked" many other consultants' pages to see what they're doing. I am all for sharing ideas, tips and tricks and helping each other out, it's one of the things I most love about this business.

That being said: If you have a question about how I did something (e.g. linked a newsletter), please do not post the question on my page wall for all customers/hosts to see. Please email me or send me a message.

I do love it when people post on my wall or comment on something I've posted, but please do not do so as your page. I'd rather see "Suzy Queue" than "Suzy Queue - Independent Pampered Chef Consultant" comment on a recipe I posted. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, you wouldn't want to take the chance that your customers go off to another consultant's website. If you want to post as yourself, please do so, I love to get comments, I just ask that you post it in a way that makes it appear that you might be a customer. The true customers probably won't ever know the difference.

Again, I do not mean this personally against anyone, and I'm not trying to call anyone out. I just wanted to put it out there, as I'm sure it's just a case of someone not realizing what it looks like on the flip side.

Oh, and P.S. If you do see something you like and would like to borrow it, please do so, but I'd appreciate it if you give me credit. A simple "Thanks, Noora" comment on the post is sufficient (this is one of those things that I didn't realize the effects of until someone kindly pointed it out to me).

I agree with you.... it seems that people forget to give credit to people when they 'borrow'.

Well Said.

Cathy pclady said:
I agree with you.... it seems that people forget to give credit to people when they 'borrow'.

I didn't really think it was that big of a deal until I saw that someone had copied something I wrote word for word, and I had actually "written it from the heart". Before, if someone shared a picture I posted, or a link, or a promo, I didn't see it the same way. And I admit, in the past, I was guilty of forgetting to give credit.

lesliec said:
Well Said.

Thank you :)

Very good points, Noora.

I've actually tried to stop looking at other pages so as not to be tempted to share on my page. I think it's true that we all like credit, and should most times do so when appropriate. I also agree that we shouldn't post as a consultant on another consultant's page.

Playing devil's advocate and also just curious about a couple of things, so please do not think I disagree with your post:

FB is an info buffet...lots of great links and tips that we tend to snag and share with our friends even on a personal level...I've often wondered what is appropriate or not...am I supposed to mention where we snagged the witty comment or link?

Here at CS, we all share with one another and definitely do not give credit when we share in our emails or newsletters with our customers. All the recipe booklets, host incentives, kam's flyers...we change to our info and do not say, thanks to so and so for doing it.

On FB, I've seen plenty of friends use a line of mine or a very similar version of my day, or child status and even team news. I find it funny and have never really minded. I have had consultants blatantly snag my stats from both personal and fan page and pasted word for word on their pages...some of them amusingly referring to my mom because they did not read the entire post I suppose. Again, haven't minded. Only a few have actually asked for permission and I just assumed it was ok to not "get credit". I have seen my specials posted and used by others.

I've seen tips of the day, with no reference as to where the info came from.
If we all have to continuously thank laurie or so and so for the info...after a while, wouldn't we look a bit silly and have our customers wondering who laurie is?

I have been encouraging my customers to email links and recipes to me to post, and I give them credit hoping to get more interaction going. Hoping that works!

Also, do we need to give credit for a link that we see on someone else's post?

I've seen tips of the day, with no reference as to where the info came from. I am trying to get better at making sure to say, from a great friend or saw this on xx.com. I am also trying to appropriately list resources for recipes so as not to violate anything.

I am still learning the subtleties and etiquette of social media, and have wondered whether this or that is appropriate or right.

Maybe we can all brainstorm on where to find links and tips...how we're finding our info, etc. ?

There is no official rule that you have to give credit to anyone for whatever it is that you post, although if you're borrowing from a more official source, I would recommend it to avoid plagiarizing.I've also find it amusing when I post a promo and then see the same promo with my exact wording show up multiple times throughout the day in my news feed. I don't really mind that kind of copying at all. The only ones that really got me were the ones that were just status updates (not specials or links to something) that were based on something personal. As for the question about your customers starting to wonder who the person is that you're borrowing from, here's my thoughts: Your customers are your customers because you are you, not someone else. If you find yourself constantly borrowing from a certain person, maybe it's a reminder to take a look at whether it's really the real you that's coming across on your page. Nothing wrong with liking what someone else posts, but if there are lots of other sources for fun, useful information besides other consultants' Pages.I don't really expect that by posting this everyone will magically start giving credit to where they found stuff, I just wanted to mention it, in case someone hadn't considered the other point of view. And it really wasn't my biggest concern, I was more concerned about other consultants posting on my Page as consultants and how it came across. If you really dig down deep, it comes back to the Golden Rule: Treat others as you would like to be treated. :D

Imagine how Pampered Chef feels - with THEIR Facebook page. :) With so many consultants using it as their personal chat room, etc.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Noora. I agree that the credit should be given, and I do. =) As I mentioned, lately I have been avoiding seeing other fan pages to avoid similar posts. I've been scouring my fav sites and magazines for my tips and recipes. I take from PC official page liberally and do not give them credit though. =)

I do understand why you would be affected seeing something personal made generic. I see some friends compete with one another on being wittier, another group in competition with mommyhood and so on. I have had someone take a few of my snippets and run with it. I have learned to be more conscientious when posting and to allow the trivial to slide...but there are days, boy...lol

I don't plagiarize...I always site the source for recipes and/or links. I was thinking more along the lines of cooking tips or great interactive questions...those thought provoking comments that some are better at creating. Some people are just naturally good at social media, while others struggle along. :)

I know my fans love me...but I want them to be fans of my page because they find it relevant and useful, not out of loyalty. I am me...it's finding time to find those great recipes, tips and ideas that some days escape me. =)

Facebook is one of those places where anything you post can be taken by anyone, and run amuck with it. And I don't want you to think that I meant what I wrote personally directed at you (or anyone else for that matter), I was using the general "you". I know I should grammatically use "one" but that sounds so hoity-toity sometimes. :D

I know what you mean about finding the time. I really don't have any time. FB is blocked at work, and by the time I get home, I don't have time to get on the computer until after the kids are in bed. I did find a solution though: HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard for Teams using Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin. It was mentioned in Jen Fong's blog as a way to schedule posts in advance. It's free, and I've used it for just over a week now, and I'm pretty happy with it. She does recommend not making all of your posts via HootSuite, since "organic" posts get better ranking, but I don't really have much of a choice.

I have debated whether to comment or not because I am one of those "thieves." I regularly borrow from other consultant pages - cooking tips and recipes. I expect that others will do the same, as a matter of fact I have encouraged my team to use whatever they want on their pages. I had someone ask where I found all of these great tips, I replied " I have an amazing network within the PC." I thought it was a pretty good recruiting seed. How many people worry about having to know everything before they get started and I planted a seed of reassurance that you don't.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

True, Loreo. But, there's a difference between copying something that's simply a generic hint like "If you have lots of grease to get rid of after dinner, soak it up with a piece of bread. Let it dry out a little, then put it out for the birds," and copying something that is clearly a personal anecdote. That's especially true if you have not asked if you may use it.

Noora,

How do you link the newsletter to your Facebook page?

cookingwithlove said:
Noora,

How do you link the newsletter to your Facebook page?

I use MailChimp for my newsletter service, and they provide me with links to my newsletters once they're sent, and an app for the sign-up form.

loreo said:
I have debated whether to comment or not because I am one of those "thieves." I regularly borrow from other consultant pages - cooking tips and recipes. I expect that others will do the same, as a matter of fact I have encouraged my team to use whatever they want on their pages. I had someone ask where I found all of these great tips, I replied " I have an amazing network within the PC." I thought it was a pretty good recruiting seed. How many people worry about having to know everything before they get started and I planted a seed of reassurance that you don't.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

raebates said:
True, Loreo. But, there's a difference between copying something that's simply a generic hint like "If you have lots of grease to get rid of after dinner, soak it up with a piece of bread. Let it dry out a little, then put it out for the birds," and copying something that is clearly a personal anecdote. That's especially true if you have not asked if you may use it.

Yes, I agree that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. And I also agree with Rae. There's a difference between taking the video I found on Food Network's FB Page versus using the status update that says "My family and I have a tradition of _____________." word for word.

NooraK said:
I use MailChimp for my newsletter service, and they provide me with links to my newsletters once they're sent, and an app for the sign-up form.

Got it. I switched to the company newsletter and do not think there is a way. I tried sending it to my FB email, but it did not come through right.

cookingwithlove said:
Got it. I switched to the company newsletter and do not think there is a way. I tried sending it to my FB email, but it did not come through right.

I believe there is a link in the Newsletter that you can click to get a web version. You can then use a website like tinyurl.com to shorten the web address if you want to. But that's just for the Newsletter alone.

If you wanted to use the HO Newsletter because you like it, but want to be able to share other emails as well, you could set up MailChimp and then send the newsletter and emails to yourself, and then put them into MC to be sent to your customers. You do need something like Outlook that allows you to view the source of your email to be able to copy and paste the HTML into MC.

Noora,

I in no way took it personally because frankly I am not guilty of it. he he I completely understood that you was general, and do agree that we need to beware of blatant copy and paste technique and originality. =)

I also have asked permission in the past and give a thanks credit comment as requested in the past. I was just thinking aloud and playing the other side of the coin. :)

You are one of the most helpful, technical savvy people I know and I appreciate the time you take whenever someone posts a question. Your patience and ability to simplify the technological is impressive.

Thanks for the hootsuite tip, I'll definitely look into it. I have been debating on whether to list links on my page as I don't necessarily want to continue to send my "fans" elsewhere...but oh the time it would save! ha ha

I send you a big kudos for working, raising a family, running a PC biz AND maintaining a FB page. You are a problem solver and wanted to make sure to point out that you rock!

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Noora,

I in no way took it personally because frankly I am not guilty of it. he he I completely understood that you was general, and do agree that we need to beware of blatant copy and paste technique and originality. =)

I also have asked permission in the past and give a thanks credit comment as requested in the past. I was just thinking aloud and playing the other side of the coin. :)

You are one of the most helpful, technical savvy people I know and I appreciate the time you take whenever someone posts a question. Your patience and ability to simplify the technological is impressive.

Thanks for the hootsuite tip, I'll definitely look into it. I have been debating on whether to list links on my page as I don't necessarily want to continue to send my "fans" elsewhere...but oh the time it would save! ha ha

I send you a big kudos for working, raising a family, running a PC biz AND maintaining a FB page. You are a problem solver and wanted to make sure to point out that you rock!

I figured you knew, but I also didn't want someone else reading the thread to get the wrong impression. I also appreciate the good conversation :)

I list links to other sites. I don't like listing links to the PC site, because I don't want to take the chance that the customer will go through the lead system, but if I send them to The Pioneer Woman's website for a recipe, I feel confident they'll come back to my FB page if they need something PC. I also feel that by doing so I create an environment that's not All PC, All Day, and is more useful to my customers.

Hopefully I can balance the work/family/PC stuff so that I can build my business to a point where the work part is no longer necessary, but not ticking off DH in the process :D

I agree with many of your points Noora. I have been hesitant to "like" other consultant's pages for that reason (my customers seeing other consultant names, etc.). I prefer just to bookmark them as my favorites and just see what kind of tips everyone is sharing.

What is the purpose of having a Facebook page for my customers and hosts?

The purpose of having a Facebook page for your customers and hosts is to create a space where you can easily communicate with and engage your target audience. It allows you to share updates, promotions, and important information with them, as well as receive feedback and interact with them in a more personal way.

How do I make sure my Facebook page is effective for my customers and hosts?

To ensure that your Facebook page is effective for your customers and hosts, it is important to regularly post relevant and engaging content, respond to comments and messages in a timely manner, and make use of features such as events and groups to foster a sense of community. It is also helpful to regularly analyze your page insights to see what type of content resonates best with your audience.

Can I use my Facebook page to promote my products or services?

Yes, you can use your Facebook page to promote your products or services to your customers and hosts. However, it is important to strike a balance between promotional content and other engaging posts to avoid overwhelming your audience. You can also consider using paid advertising options on Facebook to reach a larger audience.

Do I need to have a separate Facebook page for my customers and hosts?

No, you do not necessarily need to have a separate Facebook page for your customers and hosts. However, you may choose to create a separate group specifically for your hosts to provide them with a more exclusive and personalized experience. This can also help to keep your main page focused on your customers.

How can I encourage my customers and hosts to interact with my Facebook page?

One way to encourage interaction on your Facebook page is to regularly post engaging content such as polls, questions, and contests. You can also ask for feedback and suggestions from your audience to make them feel more involved. Additionally, responding to comments and messages promptly and showing appreciation for your customers and hosts can also help to increase engagement on your page.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jules711
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
FelicityG92
  • Aprilthediningdiva
  • Pampered Chef Facebook Marketing
Replies
Views
MissyPC
  • pamperedlinda