• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Etiquette for First Communion Gifts in a Catholic Family

In summary, his nephew has his first communion this weekend and is going to Toys-R-Us for a gift. Is it appropriate to get him something still on the list from his birthday last month?
wadesgirl
Gold Member
DH's family is catholic (I am not). His nephew has his first communion this weekend. Are we required to give a gift? I figured we would but I didn't want to show up with one if no one else was going to. Also he had a wish list for his birthday last month at Toys-R-Us, I figured we would just get him something that was still on the list. Is this appropriate?

I think a nice card would be OK. A gift is not required. If you have a christian store around, they have quite a few things that would make a nice gift. I don't think something from Toys-R-Us is appropriate. I think it is very sweet that you would check.Sandi

I'd find out from his mom if he has a cross in his room or if there's something else he'd like to signify the occasion (rosary, etc). Most people either give a religious item or cash/savings bond for these occasions. Personally I don't feel that toys are the appropriate gift for this.

ETA: cash gifts vary but even $10 would be enough.

When I had my first communion, I got a ton of cards with $5 to $10 in them. However, that said, the best gift I got was a bible. It was "The Way". It is not a King James version so it made sense to me. There is a catch though - you have to make sure you get the correct version! There is a Catholic version and a non-catholic version. The Catholic version does NOT contain the book of Revelations. It has a green cover where as the other one is blue. In fact, I still have it. It is only about 40 years old!

pampered1224 said:
When I had my first communion, I got a ton of cards with $5 to $10 in them. However, that said, the best gift I got was a bible. It was "The Way". It is not a King James version so it made sense to me. There is a catch though - you have to make sure you get the correct version! There is a Catholic version and a non-catholic version. The Catholic version does NOT contain the book of Revelations. It has a green cover where as the other one is blue. In fact, I still have it. It is only about 40 years old!

The Catholic version also contains some books that the Protestant versions don't. A difference in canonization. (meaning what the Church Fathers believed to be the written Word of God)

I would go with the card with cash in it..or go to a Christian bookstore and see if you can find something

There is a Bible called the Catholic Youth Bible. It might be a little old for him right now, but I bet not for long. The Bible is not easy to understand and this one has a section at the bottom of each page that explains the meaning. I think the paperback one costs about $20. This is something he would always have.Sandi

See the more I got to thinking about it, the more I wasn't for sure so that's why I asked here. Here's the thing, this kid is spoiled rotten! A mere $5-10 gift would not suffice with them (kids or parents - trust me). I do like the idea of a bible or something... maybe I'll call my sil and see what she thinks.

wadesgirl said:
See the more I got to thinking about it, the more I wasn't for sure so that's why I asked here. Here's the thing, this kid is spoiled rotten! A mere $5-10 gift would not suffice with them (kids or parents - trust me). I do like the idea of a bible or something... maybe I'll call my sil and see what she thinks.
That's sad. Why can't people be grateful for the thought anymore?

ChefBeckyD said:
That's sad. Why can't people be grateful for the thought anymore?

Trust me... DH and I live in a trailer we paid cash for and basically live pay check to pay check. His brother and his wife live in a gorgeous house in a very upscale neighborhood in our town. It's not good enough for her though, she's constantly looking for something better (what your basement isn't a walkout... we don't even have one!). Since they couldn't find someone to buy their house recently they have upgraded the kitchen and basement to the tune of over $50,000! The only reason why she bought her SUV was a few years ago she felt bad picking up her kids from daycare in a car (yah she really said that). So yes, for this family, it is all about the money and the presents.

Excuse my mini rant there!

Well I talked to DH and he still believes we should "get the kid something he wants". Lucky for me I have a show that day (don't expect to tell me two weeks before that your kid's first communion is coming up and not have a show on a Saturday afternoon). I know it sounds bad but sometimes their constant throwing their wealth in our face is annoying! I'll show up just in time for the after party to die down and rescue DH!

Related to Etiquette for First Communion Gifts in a Catholic Family

What are some popular First Communion presents?

Some popular First Communion presents include personalized Bibles, rosaries, religious jewelry, picture frames, and keepsake boxes.

Can I personalize a First Communion present?

Yes, at Pampered Chef, we offer personalization options for our First Communion presents such as engraving on jewelry or customization on keepsake items.

What is an appropriate budget for a First Communion present?

The budget for a First Communion present can vary depending on your relationship with the child and your personal budget. We offer a range of gifts at different price points to fit your needs.

Do you offer gift wrapping for First Communion presents?

Yes, we offer gift wrapping services for our First Communion presents for an additional fee. You can add this option at checkout.

What if I am not sure what to get for a First Communion present?

If you are unsure of what to get for a First Communion present, you can browse our selection of First Communion gifts or reach out to our customer service team for personalized recommendations.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
Chef Endora
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies