• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ethical Dilemma: Can My Fundraiser be Stolen?

In summary, the chairperson of the organization may not be happy if the other consultant books the fundraiser before you do. You should be honest with the other consultant and the chair of the organization and let them know that you booked the fundraiser.
courtneybelken
Okay, this is my first time posting. I have an ethical situation. I have booked a fundraiser for an organization. One of their members has recently decided to become a PC consultant. Now, she wants to book the fundraiser. Can she steal my booking?

I have called the solution center and am waiting for a callback. So, any feedback, advice, ....prayers, would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance!

Have you spoken with the chair person? Is this person on your team?

IMHO, It wouldn't be right for the other consultant to take it if you already have it scheduled.

I agree with Anne. You may need to be honest with the other consultant and the chair of the organization. So not fair!

if you have already booked it, i don't see what the problem is..............this other consultant was just too late.............

i'm sorry............i'm kind of blunt sometimes...............the other consultant should look for business somewhere else.......not parasite off of you.............

It also sounds to me that if the organization let this person do the fundraiser then it could be a little-bit unethical since she would be making money off of her own organization.....make sense?

Well she can make money off her own organization cause it like doing your kids school or church.
I would also be blunt and talk to the other consultant and tell her we Pampered Chef people don't do that to each other . She is not going to have a very good business if she is going to go around and steal business . I would just explain to her that you have been working wih this fundraiser and she needs to step back and unforchetly this one is not hers .

If the fundraiser is already booked (not just a "yes we should do that someday"), then it is yours. The other girl is just out of luck. I'd call the chairperson ASAP and explain that you take your business very seriously and that you have already begun devoting your time and efforts into this fundraiser.

I'd think there might be a conflict of interest situation with the other girl doing the fundraiser.

Ultimately, it is up to the organization who they choose to go with. It sucks that you booked it and someone else is trying to get it. If that happens, you'll have to suck it up and move on though.

I would hope she doesn't "steal" if from you if already booked.

I know the feeling though...I recently had a potential show (not booked) be taken by a director in the area (who I am not under) because she nagged this person non-stop. In the long run though, I'm hoping she (the host) will see how I handled myself and choose me next time.

Good luck!

If you already had the fundraiser set up, then I would tell the other consultant that she's a day late and a dollar short! That one is yours! Make sure you keep in contact with the chairperson of the group. Unfortunatley there area a lot of low-down sneaky people that will try to steal shows and customers from you...so stay positive and helpful and people will remember YOU! Good luck...I hope your fundraiser is successful!!!!

YOU GO GIRLS! I love this website....and all of you!!!! :eek:

....unless the consultant in question is best buddies with the leader of the org.:(
As unethical as it would be, it's not illegal - and if she has an "in" with the organization, they may feel that they would rather keep the fundraiser "in-house". It's a bummer, but if you make a big stink about it, you may be the one who comes off looking bad. I would question the leader about the fundraiser, and just ask her for clarification on the issue.

chef131doreen said:
I would also be blunt and talk to the other consultant and tell her we Pampered Chef people don't do that to each other .

Yes, I agree with that.

chef131doreen said:
She is not going to have a very good business if she is going to go around and steal business . I would just explain to her that you have been working wih this fundraiser and she needs to step back and unforchetly this one is not hers .
Hey, what goes around comes around. And, no, she won't have a good business if she does this.

Keep up posted on what happens! I hope it turns out ok for you. It's a shame that some people are like this but it does happen (not just with PC either) I had a friend who quit PC years ago because of people deliberately trying to steal her shows. I don't know how they found out about them but they would find who she had shows with & convince the hosts to switch to them & hold the show on the original date!!

Was in the same boat...This ALMOST happened to me, too, but ended up happily enough...

Last year I was at a show and a lady booked a fundraiser for her church's Missionettes group. She called the pastor, got the ok for the date and room, and we started planning. A day or two before the invites were to go out, I get a call from Tina (the chairperson) telling me that apparently there is a church member who is a PC consultant and they have to go with her...on that date...at that time...using the show layout I designed! What the He**?

No one there even knew she was a consultant; they found out only after this consultant's FRIEND saw the notice in the church bulletin and called her (the consultant doesn't even attend). She raised a big stink about it. I held my head high and conceded, said that I would be hurt if someone booked a fundraiser at my church with another consultant (although my church KNOWS I'm a consultant).

The chairperson was awesome. She said there was NO WAY this consultant was going to do the show, and canceled the fundraiser all together. She did a catalog show with me ($500ish) and said that we will get this done. This past January she called me and said the other consultant quit the church, so we were free to do the fundraiser. We had it, did pretty well, and I now have a loyal host and customer.

I would probably handle it the same way again, and even though I would be really upset if they did go with the other consultant, I'd bless and release...

Thank you so much for all of the responses! I was literally in tears when this all came about!

I did call the home office and someone returned my call. PC says that it is ultimately up to the organization, as to who gets the show. I am trying to give the other consultant the benefit of the doubt, but it is not looking too good (for her). I think the "board" members of the organization will make the right decision and stick with me. I will know for sure tomorrow and will definitely let y'all know!

My recruiter and director are so awesome!! They are really supporting me with this and my director has volunteered to contact the other consultant's director and politely tell her how unethical this is:)

Thanks again!

courtneybelken said:
My recruiter and director are so awesome!! They are really supporting me with this and my director has volunteered to contact the other consultant's director and politely tell her how unethical this is:)

Thanks again!

I was thinking of suggesting that you contact the other director but having YOUR director contact HER director is a great idea :)

That is an awesome idea. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Just to put a different spin on it....The other consultant may not being trying to "steal" the show. It may be that someone in the organization found out she was selling PC and said, "oh we have to go with you. we haven't finished the planning yet so it will be fine." The other consultant may be completely clueless of "stealing" anything....

Yes, let us know!

If it doesn't work out, maybe we can get PamperedLaura to whip out her "sweet ninja skills".

beepampered said:
Just to put a different spin on it....The other consultant may not being trying to "steal" the show. It may be that someone in the organization found out she was selling PC and said, "oh we have to go with you. we haven't finished the planning yet so it will be fine." The other consultant may be completely clueless of "stealing" anything....

I believe this is what happened!!! It all worked out. The lady I have been working with called me this morning and said that they want to stick with me. I think there is a little "drama" going on within this particular organization to begin with, so it just became a bigger issue than it really needed to be.

Now, my new issue is being nervous about my FIRST fundraiser (now look who has the drama!).

Thanks again for all the support and advice. I am using this site more often!!!

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am glad it worked out! You can always do a search for fundraisers and there are LOTS of ideas! And, you can always ask!

i dont know if this has already been said .. but maybe you do the fundraiser and whatever bookings you get off of that, give to her ONLY IF SHE SIGNED UNDER YOU ... if she is just some other consultant, its YOUR show, not hers.

Related to Ethical Dilemma: Can My Fundraiser be Stolen?

1. What is an ethical dilemma in the context of a fundraiser?

An ethical dilemma in a fundraiser refers to a situation where there is a conflict between what is considered morally right and what is beneficial for the fundraiser. It may involve issues such as honesty, integrity, and fairness.

2. Can my fundraiser be stolen?

Unfortunately, yes. Fundraiser theft can happen when someone takes advantage of the fundraising efforts and diverts the funds for their personal gain without the knowledge or consent of the organizers.

3. How can I prevent my fundraiser from being stolen?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent fundraiser theft. First, make sure to have a clear and transparent process for handling funds, including documentation and oversight. Second, carefully select and train volunteers and organizers to handle the funds. Third, use secure payment methods and keep track of all transactions. Finally, regularly review and audit your fundraising processes to identify any potential vulnerabilities.

4. What should I do if I suspect my fundraiser has been stolen?

If you have reason to believe that your fundraiser has been stolen, it is important to take action immediately. Contact the appropriate authorities, such as the police, and document any evidence you have. You should also inform your organization's leadership and seek legal advice.

5. How can I ensure ethical practices in my fundraiser?

To ensure ethical practices in your fundraiser, it is important to have a clear code of conduct and ethical guidelines that all organizers, volunteers, and participants must adhere to. This should include transparency in handling funds, fairness in distributing rewards or prizes, and honesty in communicating with donors. Regularly review and reinforce these guidelines to ensure everyone involved understands and follows them.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
jcsmilez
  • jigsmom
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
chefann
Replies
Views
pampered1224