• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Religion Do You Let Your Child Believe in Santa and Why?

In summary, Debbie and Jennifer feel that Santa steals God's glory and authority, and that Jesus is the real reason for the Christmas season. They stress the importance of Jesus' birthday throughout the year, and sometimes bake Jesus a birthday cake.

Does your child believe in Santa?

• No I do not allow that we are Christian.

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • No I do not allow that we are non-Christian.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I do allow that and we are Christian.

Votes: 117 80.1%
  • Yes I do allow that and we are non-Christian.

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DebbieSAChef
I was just curious to see if parents allow their kids to believe in Santa and why? I am doing a Sunday school lesson on this and wanted some input.

I personally do not let my children believe in Santa for these reasons:

I feel that God should always get the glory and credit for any blessing we receive. Even if they come from friends and family, Jesus is the ultimate giver of all things. Santa robs God of the glory.

If I trick or lie to my children they will not trust me. I always want to be honest to them about everything!

Children will associate Santa and Jesus as myths and dismiss them when they are older.

Santa is given godly attributes and thus steals God of not only his glory but his authority. (He sees when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good)

It also teaches children to only try to be good at Christmas time. Rather than honoring father and mother all year round.

I have spoken to people who have told me these things for themselves personally, so I know it does happen. I was just curious and wanted to know each person's reasons and beliefs on this.

Debbie :chef:

Hmmm...I believed in Santa until I was 10. That did not make me feel any of the negative things you expressed above. With my own DD, we allowed her to believe in Santa until she figured it out at about 8 yo. She was saved at 6 so it certainly did not affect her relationship with God. We still fill stockings for my DD, SIL, me, and the children. When Ali got old enough not to believe in Santa, she "helped" buy things for the stockings and helped fill them.

I feel if God/Jesus is talked about 12 months of the year, then children are not going to be confused. My grandson has some "Christmas books" out all the time... We read one the other day about the animals, Mary, and baby Jesus. My little Really Wooly Nativity stays out all year long. I have a 16 x 20 picture of Jesus and the children up in my room and my grandson knows that is Jesus and he is only two.

I don't feel Santa is wrong and is the "spirit of giving" that is not a bad concept. Those who say "Santa can give you anything you want" are giving him too much power but that is their problem.

After reading Jennifer's below, I do want to add we read the Jesus Christmas Story multiple times throughout the Christmas season. Since my grandson loves to help cook, I love the idea of Jesus' birthday cake and we will start that tradition this year!

Last edited:
We do allow the belief in Santa. But we tell Luke and will tell Cole, that Christmas is Jesus' birthday and that is why we celebrate. I tell him that is why Santa brings him the gifts is b/c it is Jesus birthday. We constantly stress that without Jesus there is no Christmas. We also started last year baking Jesus a birthday cake. I decided that if I bake my children a cake on their birthday then by us all baking Jesus a birthday cake that it will make it more real for them now while they are younger.

As so many on here know, I am a strong Christian. I grew up believing in Santa and it has in no way affecting my Christianity. And if it had and I thought it would affect my children believing, then we would not have the belief of Santa.

But I do not have any problems with those that do not allow Santa but I do not want those children telling my children that he is not real. I think that is a parent choice. I already worry when Luke realizes there is not one, that he will tell Cole or some other child before they realize it on their own. My friend had to deal with this with one of her other friends b/c they do not allow Santa and my friend does.

My beliefs pretty much line up with yours Debbie. I was hurt when I found out Santa wasn't real and it did change my viewpoint of my parents at the time. I remember feeling confused and a little scared.

Not everyone who lets their children believe in Santa gives them a rounded upbringing.

Personally I do not believe any of that...not saying your thoughts are wrong, but I have never seen nor heard that before. The Christians I know always place God first and teach their children that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are who blesses us. Also, we teach that Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas and that his most holy gift was/is our salvation. And that the reason we exchange gifts is another way of acknowledging his great gift. St. Nickolas was a real person. And he gave gifts as a celebration. We teach that Santa is not the real reason we celebrate Christmas but that he is a wonderful extra that we can enjoy. As far a teaching kids to only be good at Christmas...if a parent is truly teaching the love of Christ and the ways of Christ that won't be an issue. I don't have a clue how parents who do not believe in God or Jesus handle this situation. I personally love Santa. I grew up in a home that always enjoyed Santa and the mystery around him. When I finally figured out that he didn't give us the presents, I was not angry with my parents for telling me a lie. I don't consider it a lie. It is a game and it is fun. My kids are old enough now to know that Santa doesn't exist today, but we still have gifts under the tree from Santa. I know a lot of people think differently than I do. My SILs all told their children there was no Santa...and they were devestated at first because all the other kids believed. I had to threaten them with not bringing my children around if they spoiled the fun. My children do not think I lied to them. They just laugh and enjoy Santa.

I have always told my children...when they asked for outrageous things that I couldn't afford or didn't want them to have...like a motorcycle, that Santa loves them but he doesn't always bring what we want, but he sometimes brings what we need. They have never been disappointed at Christmas time.

I still believe.

The Nativity sets are always in THE place of honor and notice in our home and we have always celebrated Jesus' birth at Christmas. Christmas Eve Service is the high point - stressed as more important than Santa coming.

I see no conflict in believing in Santa along side celebrating our religious beliefs.

ETA: If I'm not mistaken, it's mostly Christians who follow the traditions associated with Santa.

DebbieSAChef said:
I feel that God should always get the glory and credit for any blessing we receive. Even if they come from friends and family, Jesus is the ultimate giver of all things. Santa robs God of the glory.

I'm not at all religious... but I want my child to know that I buy them presents! DS is getting some from Santa, but most from me and hubby.

If I trick or lie to my children they will not trust me. I always want to be honest to them about everything!

Santa is a magic thing, and I don't consider it lying. It's about belief. I don't believe in god, but that doesn't make it any less real for you!

Children will associate Santa and Jesus as myths and dismiss them when they are older.

I doubt you would let your children believe that!! I don't mean that in a negative way... I don't want my reply to across that way!

Santa is given godly attributes and thus steals God of not only his glory but his authority. (He sees when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good)

As a parent, I know when DS and DD are awake, I look in on them when they are sleeping. I know when they've been bad! ;)

It also teaches children to only try to be good at Christmas time. Rather than honoring father and mother all year round.
I've been using the good list/bad list for the past 5 months!!! I see it having all year round potential!

I think Christmas is a magical time. As said before I am not religous (could you guess?), so for me it is a time of family and togetherness.

Those are my thoughts! Probably not the response you were hoping for, but there you go!! Hope your Sunday School goes well!

Kate

I totally agree Shawnna! I still believe in Santa! I feel that, in the TRUE spirit of Christmas, there are Santas everywhere. I try to instill values & morals in my children everyday of the year, not just at Christmas. So, to all the Santas out there, Merry Christmas!!

Do your kids believe in the Tooth Fairy? What is the difference? This is not to offend anyone. Just my 2 cents on the topic.

Santa is fun. I still "pretend" that Santa brings the presents and I write "From Santa" on the gifts. My kids are 11 and 13. They stopped believing a long time ago.

When they were younger, I told them that Santa only brings presents to the kids who believe in him, to avoid confusion when older kids said there isn't a Santa. It all worked out and was fine. My kids are not overly sensitive, but if your kids are overly sensitive and could get feelings hurt, you may need to be careful with the fantasy. I do not consider it lying to pretend there is a Santa, or a tooth fairy or the Easter bunny. We have to be sensitive as parents in how we reveal the truth or explain the truth when the kids find out. KWIM?

I still believe!!It's in my heart and the heart of our children as well. They did not feel tricked or lied to and they are all very giving and caring young adults. Their behavior wasn't better because of Santa watching or knowing it was better because of our discipline and love for them which resulted in high expectations.they have always been the first to organize food drives, coat drives and backpack/school supplies in HS and now in college. Their most wanted gifts are still from Santa and others from us and they are 15, 18 and 20. Although for the past 2 years they have all said they wanted nothing for Christmas, yes they are spoiled and want for nothing but, at Christmas they are just happy to have us all together and happy and do not place the emphasis on gifts. (which does make it hard for Mrs. Claus to coordinate with the little elves)
It will be their choice as parents to decide what they want to raise their children with as far as traditions (that is what I consider it a tradition).

Just seen the other replies regarding the Nativity books... My son loves them and are one of his favourite choses.

I am trying to let him make his own mind up and not let my opinions dictate his beliefs!

I don't want anyone to get upset. I did post MY beliefs and what our family does just to give you an idea. I really want to know why you do or don't.
If you have Jesus and Santa as part of your family's Christmas, I just want to know why or why not.
I don't want you to attack what I posted and get defensive. I also don't put up a Christmas tree, teach my kids about the easter bunny or the tooth fairy. But that's another topic...LOL. I have honestly talked to people who were devastated that Santa was a lie, and now Christ is a myth to them just like Santa was so if you tell me it's not that detrimental to your kids, I believe you. But it was detrimental to other kids, even me. I am not lumping everyone together in one group.

I am trying to put together some input for a presentation I am doing to our Sunday school children. None of which believe in Santa. I have had kids tell my children that Santa was coming to their house on christmas and that they better be good or they wouldn't get anything. My kids, being kids, told them it wasn't true. I mean they were being honest not mean. My kids were confused as to why other parents would tell their kids that. I told them some parents celebrate Christmas different than we do, but that it was not their fault for being honest. I don't want them going along with something just for the sake of pleasing a child who is trying to get my children to believe in a make believe person that I am strongly against. My kids were 5 and 4 at this time.

I believed in Santa until I found presents in my parent's trunk one year and was angry that they lied to me. I also considered God just a myth. A Santa in the sky who was only there for deluded people who didn't understand reality. Of course now I know I was wrong and was finally presented the true God of the bible. Thank you Lord for saving me!

When my oldest found out from a friend, he asked me about it while we were shopping (and little brother was right there). I pulled him aside and told him that he was now in on a great fun grown up secret and reminded him what fun it all was. He was so excited to be "grown up" and helped keep the excitement for his brother.

A few years later Santa came to our house on Christmas Eve (they got an Atari from Santa and later that night were getting games from other relatives so they had to get it early) - even the oldest thought he must be real - it was so fun! For years he asked who it was. I would never admit anything.

...like I said I still believe.

I haven't decided yet what we are going to do - we have our first child and he is getting ready to turn 2. We don't hide him from Santa but we don't take him for pictures and things like that either. We are Christian and we know the real reason for Christmas and we will always be teaching that to our child(ren) but I don't feel that Santa robs God of anything if the parents don't teach it in that form. I didn't vote in the poll because we haven't chosen but I don't think it is wrong for a person to teach their children to believe in Santa.

I do have a question....if you feel this strongly and are teaching a Sunday school class, what are you going to teach? Are there parents in this class that do allow their children to believe in Santa? How are you going to handle that?

Please, no one attack Debbie for her thread. This is her belief and she is in no way demeaning any of us for how we handle it. This opinion comes from "knowing" her on this board for two years. Debbie loves everyone and wants everyone to love and believe in Jesus for the salvation.

But Santa Claus does exist - he is known as St. Nicolas and he did bring gifts.

My kids 1,3 and 5(going on 45) believe and if and when they want to stop that'll be up to them.

They also know who God is and they two eldest love putting the crib up.

pcsharon1 said:
I haven't decided yet what we are going to do - we have our first child and he is getting ready to turn 2. We don't hide him from Santa but we don't take him for pictures and things like that either. We are Christian and we know the real reason for Christmas and we will always be teaching that to our child(ren) but I don't feel that Santa robs God of anything if the parents don't teach it in that form. I didn't vote in the poll because we haven't chosen but I don't think it is wrong for a person to teach their children to believe in Santa.

I do have a question....if you feel this strongly and are teaching a Sunday school class, what are you going to teach? Are there parents in this class that do allow their children to believe in Santa? How are you going to handle that?

Thank you for posting your opinion to this thread. I really appreciate everyone getting on here to do that. I really do want to hear all sides.

Well everyone at our church does not teach their children about Santa. If we had a visitor I would talk to their parents before and tell them what I would be discussing so they could choose to keep their child out. But we rarely have visitors on Wednesday night prayer service who don't know how our church believes or stands on that issue.

Keep em coming!

Debbie :D

jrstephens said:
We do allow the belief in Santa. But we tell Luke and will tell Cole, that Christmas is Jesus' birthday and that is why we celebrate. I tell him that is why Santa brings him the gifts is b/c it is Jesus birthday. We constantly stress that without Jesus there is no Christmas.

This is exactly what we do. In fact, each year, Santa leaves a "thank you" letter to the kids and reminds them of that very same thing.

Trina

St. Nicolas DID exist. That is what I tell my kiddos. I try to teach them as much truth about Christmas as possible. We do put up a tree. We make a cake for Jesus. We just do not believe in Santa, the Easter Bunny (what's that about anyway?..actually I read from another post about a sex goddess or something), and other lies that parents re-enforce. I do believe they are lies. Fantasy, yes. It can be fun and lighthearted when shared in that manner and not REAL. But many times I've seen my friends INSIST to their children that that stuff is real. That is where I disagree.

I agree that there are a lot of people out there who make Santa more important than Christ.

But for those who can define the line between Santa and Christ, Santa can be an addition TO the season. The concept is based on unconditional giving, without recognition. As the children grow older, just explain that the tradition was based on a real person who did bring gifts to children and that once his life ended people continued with the "idea" of being able to give to the younger children. Even though Santa may not currently be a living breathing person, the IDEA of Santa is very much alive!!! :D Now that the child knows that Santa is an idea, he/she can participate in the "giving" side and see how much fun it is to keep the "idea" alive. If explained in the right context, the child looks forward to helping to be Santa for youger children/siblings in the future. It also teaches them the importance of being able to give a gift, enjoy the reaction and not expect a pat on the back for a job well done. ;)

How you present it will determine if the child feels deceived or excited to participate.Children can pick up on your emotions even when you are trying to sugar coat something. If you truely believe in the concept of Santa, then you'll be able to convey that excitement to your child and you'll do just fine. :p

tmo2008 said:
This is exactly what we do. In fact, each year, Santa leaves a "thank you" letter to the kids and reminds them of that very same thing.

Trina

In my letter from Santa last year, he said that without Jesus he would not be coming to bring the gifts.

I like the idea about a Thank You note too!

Definitely not attacking Debbie. I am a firm believer in respecting others opinions.

We, too, were raised knowing that Jesus was first before Santa. We always had to go to church first (midnight mass) before anything was acknowledged with Santa. My mother was very strict about that.

I also think a lot of it has to do with how it's handled and for each person. We are all different, which is what makes us all so beautiful. Things that hurt my feelings or make me angry - don't necessarily do the same for others. My Santa belief did not affect my belief in God or abandon my mother's trust. It was always viewed as a "surprise" instead of a secret because we did not keep secrets in our house. But everyone is different.

I don't know. I understand what everyone is saying and, like Debbie, enjoy hearing other peoples' views on things and agree that this thread should not be abused.

Just my humble opinion...

My sister's kids (they are the religous side of my family, and I'm soooo glad she had her church when she got breast cancer, but that's a whole new thread!!) believe in Santa. They have presents, stockings, trees the lot.

But not haloween. They went to a Hallelujah Party at the church instead. This year I got told off by my 7 year old nephew for going trick or treating!

babyicebean said:

My kids 1,3 and 5(going on 45) believe and if and when they want to stop that'll be up to them.

They also know who God is and they two eldest love putting the crib up.

I am not talking about the real St. Nicholas:

Who was born in what is modern-day Turkey during the 3rd century A.D. He was raised as a Christian and when his parents both died of an epidemic, he used his inheritance to serve others. He was made Bishop of Myra and suffered persecution for his faith under the Emperor Diocletian, spending some time in prison. Notably, he attended the Council of Nicea in 325 A.D. and contributed to the statement of orthodox Christianity regarding the deity of Christ. He died in 343 A.D. Various legends sprang up around his life in the subsequent years including one where he secretly provided the dowries for three sisters who hoped to be married. He apparently tossed bags of gold through the open window of their house which landed in stockings hanging around the fireplace. This gave rise to the tradition of putting out stockings.
Over the next two hundred years, St Nicholas was transformed into the red-suited, jolly old man by the influence of artistic depictions of him and the poem "The night before Christmas" penned in 1823. During this time, he became known by the name "Santa Claus", from the Dutch "Sinterklaas", and he was associated with the celebration of Christmas.

The Santa we are most familiar with today bears little resemblance to the historical St Nicholas, and is actually hugely influenced by the Coca Cola corporation. They ran a thirty year Christmas advertising campaign commencing in the late 1930's where Santa reached the pinnacle of red-suited rotundity.

The real St. Nicholas was a godly man who lived his life serving Christ and because of his wealth was able to give to others.

I am talking about Santa Claus, the jolly big guy who carries billions of toys on his sleigh and in a few hours delivers to the whole world on Christmas eve when everyone is alseep. One who does not bring glory to God in any way because he takes the place of God in December and gets praise from kids all over the world. This is the St. Nick my kids do not believe in. They know the real St. Nicholas well. Again this is my personal belief but I am trying to explain it. I am not attacking anyone, just trying to get you to understand why I believe what I do.

We celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birthday - and have nothing to do with santa
We celebrate Easter as Jesus' resurrection - and have nothing to do with the easter bunny
We celebrate Thanksgiving as a day to thank the Lord for ALL His many blessings to us through out the year (although we should be this thankful everyday :~D )
We don't celebrate halloween - it's just another day to us

As a Christian, I want my family to be able to honor the Lord in everything. I do not want them to replace these family values, traditions, morals, or what have you with thoughts of 'getting something out of it'. It's how I choose to "train" them.

I let my kids believe in Santa and we are Christians. We are constantlt teaching our kids about Christ. We dont belong to a church that does midnight mass or anything like that so as a family on Christams Eve we watch a dvd about Christ that our church has put out, then we read the Christmas story.

I have a good friend who is the same religion as me that does not teach her kids about santa. She grew up with Santa but her DH did not. Her MIL actually believes that Santa is evil, I have been worried that her kids would tell my kids that Santa is not real and I figured when that time comes I would talk to them about it. But until them I let them believe.

There's no Santa??:(

I will always believe :)

babyicebean said:
~~~ yes you are totally right~~~ St. Nicolas was a real person :)

"Santa Claus" as we know him in his red suit really is a North American tradition and image. Different European Counties all have a slightly different version. Some cultures just celebrate St. Nicolas.

The modern Santa Claus is a composite character made up from the merging of two quite separate figures. The first of these is Saint Nicholas of Myra, a bishop of Byzantine Anatolia, now in modern day Turkey famous for his generous gifts to the poor. The second character is Father Christmas, which remains the British name for Santa Claus. Father Christmas dates back at least as far as the 17th century in Britain, and pictures of him survive from that era, portraying him as a well-nourished bearded man dressed in a long, green, fur-lined robe.

The Evolution
When the Dutch still owned the land that later became New York, they brought the Saint Nicholas' eve legend as Sinterklaas with them to the Americas, but without the red mantle and other symbols. Sinterklaas was Americanized to "Santa Claus" but lost his bishop's apparel and was at first pictured as a thick bellied Dutch sailor with a pipe in a green winter coat.

Santa Claus appeared in various colored costumes as he gradually became amalgamated with the figure of Father Christmas, but red soon became popular after he appeared wearing such on an 1885 Christmas card. His horse was converted to reindeers and a sleigh, the black peters were converted to elves, and, in an attempt to move the origin of the festivities away from their pagan background to a more Christian one, the date was moved forward a few weeks to the celebrated day of the birth of Jesus: Christmas.

We read the book "Santa are you for real?"--it tells the story of Saint Nicolas, and where Santa came from, and we let them believe that he is a friend of Jesus. My kids are 23 and 20, and we did Santa till they were about 5 and then read them the story.

Debbie, I agree with a lot of things you've said. And I do not have kids, which is why I debated whether to vote in this poll.

However ... if I have children we will let them believe in Santa. There is really no way out of it, as my dad "helps" Santa for a living.

When they are old enough to discuss the difference between reality and Santa, we will discuss the REAL story of St. Nicholas, and explain that the other stuff about him is just a fun legend, and that we don't want to "spoil" the fun for those who are younger.

I just asked my 8 yr old daughter what Christmas was all about - after reading this I wanted to hear what she had to say - to see what I am teaching her

Lucy said that it was Jesus Birthday

I asked her about Santa Claus - she said that he is a man that started a tradition with giving presents to people on Jesus' birthday and to honor Jesus because if Jesus was still alive that is what he would want do for us. She said that it is time to celebrate Christ the Lords Birthday and she loves buying gifts to give to people. She tells them that the gifts are from her and Jesus.

We also make a birthday cake for Jesus - we eat it after breakfast - which is about noon.

Everyone has their own opinions and that is what this world is made from. What a GREAT place

:chef:

Wow Jennifer your words are exactly mine. I too grew up in a very Christian home and continue to. We let our children know that Jesus birth is the focus of this special day. 2 gift maximum for each child, because we are blessed. We pick gift tags off of the trees and each of my children shop for those that are unfortunate. Santa is only talked about for a short time by my children, while Jesus is a year round conversation. It's just mystery and fun and that's all for my children. I don't psycho-analyze the lasting effects, etc. Look at me. I turned out great.

Just a note: I'm a public school teacher. I still have a Christmas tree (not holiday tree) in my classroom, I still play Christmas music, my students put Christmas ornaments on the tree, and they hear the story of Jesus birth through a public school library book (The Best Christmas Pageant Ever), we watch the movie and I continue to "sprinkle" that little bit of goodness that seems to fade away as we begin hearing Christmas music Oct. 27 and listen to the "got to have it" commercials.

Good for you Julie!! I'm so pleased to hear you are able to share (just a little bit) the love and miracle of Jesus Christ in your job.

I'm mixed. I never talked about santa until last year when my daughter was 4 and only b/c she was in school. I told her he's not real, but pretend. She enjoyed that. He's real to her like her other imaginary friends, I think.She truly has a love for Jesus and santa has nothing to do with that for her. They aren't related in her head. She's excited about Jesus' birthday. She's also excited about santa b/c we made cookies and put them out for him. She thinks that's funny. She also likes to care for her dolls and wrap presents for them. I was stressed about this last year b/c it just doesn't make sense to me to do the whole santa bit. But then, I figured it out at a young age and just really didn't care. I thought it was fun to do the "from santa" thing. Silly...not important.Our daughter knows that all of the presents come from us and just a little gift, like a movie or book would come from santa. Anyway...my two cents. I'm just so glad she's attending a Christian school!

St. Nicholas is a Catholic Saint and for many years, the celebration of St. Nicholas Day was held distinctly separate from Christmas and celebrated primarily by the Dutch. In fact, Christmas was originally only a Holy Day of Obligation when you had to go to Mass. There wasn't even a special meal or family gathering. It evolved into the gift-orgy we have today, primarily because it has been promoted by advertisers in that way. True Christians teach the real meaning of Christmas. When Santa comes to our house, he brings only one gift. The kids get one or two presents from Mom and Dad and from their grandparents. Most of our attention at Christmastime is on the giving trees at Church and we adopt a large family every year with whom we can share our blessings. Like others who have posted similar sentiments, my children are learning that being a follower of Christ is about giving to others. They learn that St. Nick teaches us to give generously without expecting acknowledgment for doing a good deed, in the way that Jesus taught us.
"Take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father." Matthew 6:1

Good for you myinnerchef. It's true. Children learn to give to others. To make Christmas even more special: for years my husband worked in retail. Christmas was put out the day after Halloween. He would work overtime prior to Christmas and then Christmas Eve go in to set Valentine candy. Crazy! Because of his schedule, we started getting a tree a few days before Christmas, and decorated on Christmas Eve. This was a tradition in many homes at the turn of the century. Today, we still enjoy decorating the tree on Christmas Eve, putting our Angel on top, opening each special ornament.

Funny note: One year we bought a tree with a crooked trunk. Twice it fell on Christmas Eve, so we tied it to the wall. It fell again. After breaking many ornaments, reluctantly, we finally had to take it down and put it back in the driveway on Christmas day. Our neighbors thought we never put the tree up!

Shawnna said:
Personally I do not believe any of that...not saying your thoughts are wrong, but I have never seen nor heard that before. The Christians I know always place God first and teach their children that God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are who blesses us. Also, we teach that Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas and that his most holy gift was/is our salvation. And that the reason we exchange gifts is another way of acknowledging his great gift. St. Nickolas was a real person. And he gave gifts as a celebration. We teach that Santa is not the real reason we celebrate Christmas but that he is a wonderful extra that we can enjoy. As far a teaching kids to only be good at Christmas...if a parent is truly teaching the love of Christ and the ways of Christ that won't be an issue. I don't have a clue how parents who do not believe in God or Jesus handle this situation. I personally love Santa. I grew up in a home that always enjoyed Santa and the mystery around him. When I finally figured out that he didn't give us the presents, I was not angry with my parents for telling me a lie. I don't consider it a lie. It is a game and it is fun. My kids are old enough now to know that Santa doesn't exist today, but we still have gifts under the tree from Santa. I know a lot of people think differently than I do. My SILs all told their children there was no Santa...and they were devestated at first because all the other kids believed. I had to threaten them with not bringing my children around if they spoiled the fun. My children do not think I lied to them. They just laugh and enjoy Santa.

This post is the closest to how I feel, and how we are teaching our son.

I believe that God is a God of imagination and play too. He created us human, and I think it brings Him joy to see us being human, doing human things. He gave us wonderful, imaginative minds that are great at developing and using stories to teach important life lessons,(that's the way that Jesus taught) and also just to bring fun and laughter into our lives. Santa to me is a part of that. Imagination, wonder, and a sense of fun and joy. If kids are devastated by the fact that there is no Santa, then I would guess it's because the fun and play of Santa hasn't been balanced by the eternal truth of Christ.

Santa has a place in our Christmas - but my son knows the story and meaning of Christmas, and why we celebrate. He's a pretty smart little guy - and we are pretty good parents - I'm not concerned in the least that he is going to be damaged, or that his faith in Christ is going to be compromised by having some fun with Santa too.

I haven't ready through this thread carefully. I just skimmed it, so I'm not sure how everyone else explained or expanded on their answers.We are a Christian household that definitely believes in Santa. I consider Santa to be a personification of the spirit of generosity that abounds at Christmas. Our son always knew the reason for Christmas was to celebrate Christ's birth. When he finally asked whether we really bought the gifts he got from Santa, I told him yes. I told him about Bishop Nikolas of Myra. I told him that by giving gifts in St. Nikolas' name and not our own, we practice a generosity that doesn't point to ourselves. I also told him that now he was a part of the secret.Make-believe is an essential part of childhood. For us, Santa is part and parcel of that make-believe. I completely understand those parent who choose not to indulge in the make-believe of Santa. Every set of parents needs to decide what works best for their family. A few years after he learned about the secret, we talked about Santa and the difference between make-believe and telling lies. When he was in preschool and kindergarten he had an imaginary friend--a flying dog named Super Dog. We all talked to Super Dog. Super Dog sometimes had his own seat at the dining room table. In reality, Super Dog didn't exist. In his little imagination, Super Dog was almost as real as any of his other friends. To us, Santa was no different. He agreed. He and his future wife (if one exists) will have to decide for themselves what they will do.As a teacher of children age 3 through kindergarten at our church, I choose to keep Santa out of my classroom. I don't discourage talk about Santa, but I do steer the focus back to the birth of Jesus and why he came. For some of our children, our classroom is the only place they hear the true purpose of our Christmas celebration.

We are a Christian house and totally believe in Santa. I loved Santa when I was little, and we did midnight mass and the whole bit. Now, on another thread that I started I was asking about gifts...my parents got my sister and I one or two things from Santa...and my grandfather dressed as Santa every year and came to our house...I thought we were so special because no other kids got personal visits from Santa on Christmas Eve! I was 8 when I found out about it. I had no negative feelings about it whatsoever. I NEVER thought that God or Jesus was a myth because there was no Santa! God is God, no matter what. God does not mix with anything else. I certainly would question a child whose life was "ruined" or because they felt "betrayed" forever that there was no Santa. I think that's a little over the top. I'm not attacking anyone, just stating that if Santa is played THAT important of a role in the house where they would feel the effects of it for the rest of their lives, there's something going on in that house and with that family that is bigger than finding out Santa is not real.

Santa Rocks! We put out cookies for Santa and food for the reindeer. I feel whatever you beleive in is fine and I respect whatever your beliefs are. To each his own, right :)
My teenager believed in santa until he was 9. DD ( who is 2 1/2) is so excited about Santa and presents, but she is learning in nursery school about jesus birthday.
We also have a tradition, a book called The Elf on the Shelf, it is cute. We havea antivity scene and go to church but we also go see Santa and beleive :)

You mean to tell me there is NO Santa Clause!!!!:cry::cry:

We do Santa, although DH's family didn't, and he didn't initially want to because of that, and because of the whole "deceiving our kids" thing. But I grew up with Father Christmas, loved it and want my kids to have the same fun and excitement.

Overall, our oldest DD heard so much about Santa through friends and story-time, that we ended up going along with it (much to my delight, and actually DH enjoyed seing the kids excitement too). As Christians we absolutely keep the focus of Christmas on Jesus and his birth, and the gift that that is. We talk about how Santa gives us gifts to remind us that Christmas is Jesus's birthday, and to remind us that jesus gave himself as a gift to us. Also, our kids get very small stocking gifts from Santa. We are clear about what comes from us, I don't want them thinking they can get whatever they want from Santa, they need to learn the value of a $!!

We also have a really neat Advent Calendar, which is a back drop of a nativity. Each day we hang up a tiny ornament that is part of the Christmas story (be it the star, and angel, a sheep etc all the way through to Mary, Joseph and Jesus). I came with readings for each day that build to give the whole nativity story. We love it, it keeps us focused every day of December on what Christmas is about.

I don't think that there is anyway that our kids will doubt the existence of God and Jesus when they find out that Santa is not real. We teach them and it is part of our everyday life, not just on Sundays and/or holidays. THere is and will be so much evidence for my kids that they can trust me and DH about our faith (or trust us in general), that I can't believe that finding out that SC is not real will be that devestating for them.

My DD did comment last year on Santa knowing who is naughty and nice (which she picked up from the song, not me), and she said that Santa must know Jesus, because Jesus knows everything! And had she thought that Santa was "god-like" and all-knowing I would have set her straight! But I kind of like that idea that Sant and Jesus are friends, and Santa asks Jesus about that :).

And I agree, with whoever it was above who said that if you have discipline problems year around because of kids only being good near to Christmas, then IMO the problem is not Santa but the parenting.

Oh, and I also agree with the point about the value of giving without the recipient knowing it was you, once our kids find out, and having them help in the gift giving tradition.

I agree with so many of you... Shawna, Becky, Rae (love your point about kids imaginations and make-believe), Julie to name a few (I can't remember all of the posts!).

I'm not going to get in on the whole "debate" except to say that we do let our kids believe in Santa. Heck, I still believe in him to an extent! I am a Christian, and though I do remember it hurting when I found out, I don't remember ever questioning if Jesus or God existed because of it. Just the Easter Bunny and the tooth fairy.

I just wanted to chime in and say the book "The Autobiography of Santa Claus", though fiction (of course) is a very entertaining look at how Santa came to be from St. Nick. I absolutely loved the book. And, again, I'm saying it's entertaining, not necessarily educational. I didn't read through all of the thread to see if anyone mentioned it, so, if it's a repeat, sorry.

Jane, I love that book. It's a wonderful look at history and how Christmas traditions came about in various areas. There are two sequels: How Mrs. Claus Saved Christmas and The Great Santa Search. They both speak to the true meaning of Christmas in much the same way the original does.

Another TERRIFIC book is "One Wintry Night" by Ruth Bell Graham (Billy's wife).

It is a beautiful, creative Christmas story, which takes the reader from Creation to the Birth of Christ, and then to His death and resurrection. It has gorgeous artwork that kids love, and it is a story that the whole family can enjoy!

We will be reading a chapter a night in the month of December.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0801038480/?tag=pfamazon01-20

We believed in Santa throughout our childhood. We had no choice...money was tight, but there was always lots under the tree for me and my three brothers and sisters. I was convinced Santa was real because my I didn't think my parents could have afforded all of that stuff.

Later, when I figured it out, I just thought that there was a semi-truck or something that went through the neighborhood selling toys cheap, and that's how my parents afforded it. :)

Now, I look back on it with fond memories, and appreciate my parents for the sacrifices my parents had to have made to make Santa's presents special. I never once thought they lied to me. I thought instead that they did everything they could to make the season special and full of great memories.

BTW, my mom has always been very religious. We always say "she'd a'been a sister if she hadn't a'been a mother". We went to church faithfully, knew what Christmas was all about, and spent our childhood in service to others (service projects, etc.) I consider myself a well-rounded, generous, contributing member of society.

However, I do not practice any religion currently. It has nothing to do with Santa, it has to do with my un-belief in organized religion.

Just my opinon... I am a Christian and I have not flat out told my child there is a REAL Santa that delivers gifts and so on. She believs in him and I have not told her differently. If asked directly I would word things in a way that left it to her imagination. I have to say though that we can teach our children and other children that no matter what we give God the Glory! He is the reason for Christmas, and the thought of Santa is to share gifts for being good and living life by God's Book. I personally do not think Santa robs Jesus if children are taught to Glorify God thru all means. Also my mom let me think there was a Santa and I did not stop trusting her. So I do not think that would really be an issue.
Lastly if a child associates Santa and Jesus as myths then they are being taught incorrectly (so to speak). My child who is 6 on this Saturday tells people all the time, mommy I love you so much and I would not trade you for anything but for God. She loves god first in everything and she think we pay Santa money for the gifts he brings. However she knows that Jesus paid the ultimate gift for her. Just my thougts though. :)

tmo2008 said:

Trina

It was the "thank you" letter/card from Santa that stopped my childhood belief. I am the middle child of 3 and one year, I think I was in 3rd grade I was looking at each of our Christmas letters from Santa and one was in my dad's writing and the other two in my mom's. I walked right out to the kitchen lined them out on the counter and looked at my mother and said "you wrote these two and dad wrote this one, there is no santa, it's you." She looked at me and said the first thing that came to mind..."Don't tell your brother!" haha.
In no way am I ruined or hurt that there was no Santa. I totally taught and allowed my DD to believe. She is almost 12 and last year finally told me she didn't believe anymore. On one hand she likes it better b/c she can help pick out what she gets for Christmas and on the other hand, she is sad that Santa isn't real. It was a fun time and now it is over...for her. Not for my nephews who are just getting into that phase.
I do have to say that the only thing my DD has said about no Santa, Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy is that she misses the money under her pillow now that she is losing all of her big teeth that are worth more money. LOL.
I loved the idea of Santa and my DD did as well and on some levels she still kinda believes. I think it can be fun for some, and unfortunate for others like those you spoke to that were "hurt" by the truth.
Good luck with your class!

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it. I am having a good time getting all of this information and writing out my lesson.

<h2>1. Should I let my child believe in Santa?</h2><p>This is a personal decision for each family to make. Some parents choose to let their children believe in Santa while others do not. It ultimately depends on your own beliefs and values.</p><h2>2. Why do some parents not let their children believe in Santa?</h2><p>There can be a variety of reasons for this. Some parents may feel that God should receive all the credit for blessings, rather than Santa. Others may want to be honest with their children and not deceive them. Some also believe that believing in Santa could potentially diminish belief in Jesus as a real figure. Additionally, teaching children to only be good at Christmas time can be seen as a negative influence on their behavior throughout the year.</p><h2>3. What is the potential harm in letting children believe in Santa?</h2><p>As mentioned before, some parents may feel that it takes away from the glory and credit that should be given to God. It can also potentially cause children to associate Santa and Jesus as myths and dismiss them when they are older. Additionally, giving Santa godly attributes can take away from God's authority.</p><h2>4. Are there any potential benefits to letting children believe in Santa?</h2><p>Again, this is a personal decision and can vary from family to family. Some may see it as a fun and innocent tradition that adds to the magic of Christmas for children. It can also be a way to encourage good behavior during the holiday season.</p><h2>5. What do other parents think about letting their children believe in Santa?</h2><p>There is no one answer to this question as opinions can vary greatly. Some parents may feel strongly about not letting their children believe in Santa while others may see it as harmless. It ultimately comes down to each individual family's beliefs and values.</p>

1. Should I let my child believe in Santa?

This is a personal decision for each family to make. Some parents choose to let their children believe in Santa while others do not. It ultimately depends on your own beliefs and values.

2. Why do some parents not let their children believe in Santa?

There can be a variety of reasons for this. Some parents may feel that God should receive all the credit for blessings, rather than Santa. Others may want to be honest with their children and not deceive them. Some also believe that believing in Santa could potentially diminish belief in Jesus as a real figure. Additionally, teaching children to only be good at Christmas time can be seen as a negative influence on their behavior throughout the year.

3. What is the potential harm in letting children believe in Santa?

As mentioned before, some parents may feel that it takes away from the glory and credit that should be given to God. It can also potentially cause children to associate Santa and Jesus as myths and dismiss them when they are older. Additionally, giving Santa godly attributes can take away from God's authority.

4. Are there any potential benefits to letting children believe in Santa?

Again, this is a personal decision and can vary from family to family. Some may see it as a fun and innocent tradition that adds to the magic of Christmas for children. It can also be a way to encourage good behavior during the holiday season.

5. What do other parents think about letting their children believe in Santa?

There is no one answer to this question as opinions can vary greatly. Some parents may feel strongly about not letting their children believe in Santa while others may see it as harmless. It ultimately comes down to each individual family's beliefs and values.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• janezapchef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
littlemaisyPC
Replies
Views
AnnieBee
  • lacychef
  • General Chat
Replies