• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Do We Know This Person? - Article at Escanaba, MI Daily Press

In summary, the article discusses how a local contest in Escanaba, Michigan allowed contestants to use published recipes without credit. The author emailed the author of the article to ask if she knew about the contest's rules, and the author responded that the majority of recipes in a typical family's recipe box were once published without credit and that it is up to the originator of the recipe to find out where they originated.
ParishKitchen
"http://www.dailypress.net/stories/articles.asp?articleID=12961" article at Escanaba, MI, Daily Press.

I don't know but that is our recipe "Tangy Pepper-Pecan Brie":eek:

Wow! At least give PC credit!!:eek:

People have no shame!!

That's nuts! Don't those contests have to be ORIGINAL recipes??? Not recipes you have stolen from someone else!!

That's lame.

Yeah really!! Although now we can say it's an AWARD WINNING recipe!! :)

OMG! The least she could have done was make up a new name!

Perhaps they WERE allowed to use published recipes? That's the only thing that would make sense here...didn't alter the recipe at all, didn't alter the name at all...

?????????????

she must be a consultant or recent host to have the recipe already.

At least they only got a ribbon, not a montary prize or a kitchen remodel

Yikes... at least make up a different name for the recipe.. too much of a coincidence!

But even if they were allowed to use published recipes (which most cooking contests I know of do not allow you do to), shouldn't the name/company that originally published the recipe have their name listed as well? I'm thinking that since it is such a new recipe and most people don't know about it yet, that it was "stolen" and turned in as original. That is just sad.

Could we even submit a PC recipe as a Consultant without consent from HO?

Probably not.

I love to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but yikes!:eek: .... at least she could have changed the name! Maybe for benefit's sake she tweaked the recipe! I hope so!:rolleyes:

Is there a way to look up a consultant? I tried to see if she was a past host, but didn't come up with anything. Interesting!

Ok, so I have to admit that I emailed that gal who wrote the artile to ask if she happen to know about the rules of the contest. Hey, I figure since the author's email address was posted with the article, why not. Maybe I'm more curious than anything. ;)

Last edited:
Leigh0725 said:
Ok, so I have to admit that I emailed that gal who wrote the artile to ask if she happen to know about the rules of the contest. Hey, I figure since the author's email address was posted with the article, why not. Maybe I'm not more curious than anything. ;)

Interesting! I wonder what she'll say!

If you really want to know if this person is a consultant all you have to do is contact HO. They will tell you and they will give you her PWS address if she has one.

I didn't read the article, but if this is a local contest, it may not be for an original recipe, maybe it's just for your favorite recipe.......

Setting the contest aspect aside, we are supposed to get permission from HO to have recipes reproduced in the media. Despite the fact that the recipe in the article is NOT identified as a PC recipe, it is the same as one (of course, she may have come up with it on her own, coincidentally, but the name being exactly the same shoots a hole in that theory).

Leigh - let us know if you hear anything from that person.

I can't believe someone would use a recipe from PC and not give credit!!! The nerve of some people!!!! Geez!

Not sure what to think. I'm knee deep in some work for my FT job, but will try to respond later tonight. I just wanted to post what the author wrote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for your comment.

It's the general concession of our newspaper that recipes are not subject to copywrite rules because there's no way for anyone to check the authenticity of any recipe. I would suspect that the majority of recipes in the average family's recipe box (including my own) were once thought up by someone and published (maybe in a Betty Crocker cookbook or Taste of Home magazine) and later passed along from family to family and person to person without any thought of where they originated.

Likewise, someone who wants to add that Ladies Day recipe to his/her own collection would just throw a copy of it their own recipe box, make it for a church or family function, and if asked for the recipe, would just provide a copy of it, and so on and so on. They may or may not mention where they got the recipe from.

It may be the case that someone down the road makes a variation or two and maybe renames it, in which case, that also becomes an original recipe.

I agree that it doesn't seem right that the originator of the recipe rarely gets the credit, but I don't think there is much that can be done about it.

Dorothy M.
Lifestyles editor

I thought that would be the response I've heard it before when I see our recipes as the big $$$ winners in Taste of Home magazine or it's sister publications. Many of our recipes havebeen winnners or featured recipes in those magazines.

In general, I think they are correct. And if the contest required original submissions, I don't think it is up to the newspaper to try to verify the authenticity of it. However, in this situation, there should be little doubt in anyone's mind that this recipe is not original... the chance of this being a coinsidence is about the same as the 1000 monkeys with typwriters recreating Shakespere. Anyone contact HO about it?

Usually you have to sign something saying that this is your original recipe - don't you?

katie0128 said:
In general, I think they are correct. And if the contest required original submissions, I don't think it is up to the newspaper to try to verify the authenticity of it. However, in this situation, there should be little doubt in anyone's mind that this recipe is not original... the chance of this being a coinsidence is about the same as the 1000 monkeys with typwriters recreating Shakespere. Anyone contact HO about it?
I did. I didn't post that I did because I didn't want to get flamed about it. I sent a note to the Test Kitchen. I buttered them up first with a genuine compliment about the new recipes this season, :) then I mentioned that we may have found an instance of copyright infringement, and I gave them the link to the article.

I just checked my email, and this is the reply I received from them:
Hello, Ann!

Thank you so much for contacting The Pampered Chef Test Kitchen hotline!
This is very interesting. I will forward the article to our legal
department. I wonder what the legal ramifications are for this sort of
thing. If I happen to hear the outcome from our legal department, I'll
let you know.

Thank you again for alerting us to this copyright infringement. You and
our other Consultants are our eyes and ears to what we sometimes cannot
see.

Have a wonderful day!
Sincerely,
Joanne

CS Detective Agency strikes again! Thanks to ParishKitchen for the original post.

Last edited:
I always did want to be a criminologists!!!!

jrstephens said:
I always did want to be a criminologists!!!!

me too! i would make the BEST detective!! my husband better not EVER think of cheat on me and he knows it! lol :angel:

chefann said:
Chef Success Detective Agency strikes again! Thanks to ParishKitchen for the original post.
If you get a reward you better share it with the rest of your Detective-Wanna-Bees! :p

Will do. Although it really should go to ParishKitchen for finding that article in the first place. I was just the busybody who forwarded it. :)

Thank you for your work, Ann.

Aw, shucks, thanks. :) To be completely honest, I didn't want to say too much because for all I knew, Jodi Bizeau could have been a longtime member of this site loved by all, and I was afraid of getting flamed for insensitively attacking poor Jodi. :angel: But now that we're all in agreement, I'll just come out and say it...

:eek: :yuck: :thumbdown: :mad: :grumpy:

BTW, I did notice that she omitted the vegetable oil from her recipe and changed the instructions to remove product references. That's pretty clever, but for goodness' sake, couldn't she have thought to change the recipe name just a little bit? The only reason I found this article was that I Googled "Tangy Pepper-Pecan Brie Cups" (the recipe cards on the new supply order form). Had she called it "Sweet, Spicy, Nutty Baked Brie," nobody would have been the wiser.

Ann, thank you for having the cojones to take this matter up to HO! :thumbup:

I had a Home and Garden party a couple of years ago and was looking in their cookbook and found several Pampered Chef recipes. Same name and all. Of course they have stones so they left the names of those in there also. I asked the consultant about it and she said that alot of times their reps turn in recipes and it was probably one of them. The taco ring and chicken and broccoli braid were two that I remember. I couldn't believe that!!!
Crystal

We've all got favorite recipes that are based on published ones, but really. This is just beyond the pale. BTW- the Pillsbury Bake-Off requires that recipes be different from published recipes by at least 2 or 3 ingredients. Otherwise, they're considered a variation instead of an original recipe.

Like someone else said, at least she didn't win a ton of money or something. But, it would be highly coincidental if she just happened to come up with that recipe on her own, a month & a half after it was introduced to consultants.

I noticed, too, that she removed all product references. Except one. The instructions make mention of a stone. ;)

The recipe isn't even published yet! She HAS to be a consultant!

she could have received the recipe card from a consultant

chefann said:
We've all got favorite recipes that are based on published ones, but really. This is just beyond the pale.

BTW- the Pillsbury Bake-Off requires that recipes be different from published recipes by at least 2 or 3 ingredients. Otherwise, they're considered a variation instead of an original recipe.

Yeah, I remember a couple years ago a consultant entered the PBO w/a PC recipe - Strawberry Bruschetta (sp?), but used another fruit (I think rasberries). She won a big prize too. There is no way I could feel right about doing this even if I did change 2-3 ingredients.

But, I'm sure if you look hard enough, not all PC recipes are completely original either... after all the test kitchen people eat like the rest of us and I assume use their personal experiences to "perfect" other recipes they have tasted through the years. But at the same time, I'm going out on a limb and will assume that the test kitchen staff have enough integrity to change more than two or three ingredients before calling it "an original PC recipe".

katie0128 said:
But, I'm sure if you look hard enough, not all PC recipes are completely original either... after all the test kitchen people eat like the rest of us and I assume use their personal experiences to "perfect" other recipes they have tasted through the years. But at the same time, I'm going out on a limb and will assume that the test kitchen staff have enough integrity to change more than two or three ingredients before calling it "an original PC recipe".

Exactly........... I know I have made the brie with apricots/brown sugar/nuts for many many years.

I love Brie :love:

crissy11 said:
I had a Home and Garden party a couple of years ago and was looking in their cookbook and found several Pampered Chef recipes. Same name and all. Of course they have stones so they left the names of those in there also. I asked the consultant about it and she said that alot of times their reps turn in recipes and it was probably one of them. The taco ring and chicken and broccoli braid were two that I remember. I couldn't believe that!!!
Crystal
I was wondering about that... someone taking our cookbooks, copying each recipe, changing the name and maybe a few ingredients and call it their own:eek: ?

I agree that there are many recipes people use that are very similar to our recipes and to each other. And the simplicity of the brie recipe would increase the chances that it would be accidentally duplicated. But almost word for word instructions? And the exact same name? I don't know about you, but tangy wasn't the first adjective that popped into my mind when I had it, so the likelihood of someone coming up with that name on their own is pretty slim.

Last edited:
ParishKitchen said:
Aw, shucks, thanks. :) To be completely honest, I didn't want to say too much because for all I knew, Jodi Bizeau could have been a longtime member of this site loved by all, and I was afraid of getting flamed for insensitively attacking poor Jodi. :angel: But now that we're all in agreement, I'll just come out and say it...

:eek: :yuck: :thumbdown: :mad: :grumpy:

BTW, I did notice that she omitted the vegetable oil from her recipe and changed the instructions to remove product references. That's pretty clever, but for goodness' sake, couldn't she have thought to change the recipe name just a little bit? The only reason I found this article was that I Googled "Tangy Pepper-Pecan Brie Cups" (the recipe cards on the new supply order form). Had she called it "Sweet, Spicy, Nutty Baked Brie," nobody would have been the wiser.

Ann, thank you for having the cojones to take this matter up to HO! :thumbup:

WOW! Anne has Cojones!:eek: :D

ChefBeckyD said:
WOW! Anne has Cojones!:eek: :D
1) I'm Ann with no "e".
2) I'm not touching that one with a 10-foot pole.

:D

chefann said:
1) I'm Ann with no "e".

I KNEW that!:( My bad!

and the other....just made me laugh!:D

chefann said:
1) I'm Ann with no "e".

touchy, touchy!!! LOL! Ann! A little sensitive about the "e", are we now?:eek: ;) I know though, I can't tell you how many times I have to say, Cathy with a "C"!! :grumpy: Sometimes I get grumpy! My last name is one, I ALWAYS have to spell! You don't pronounce the "h" and when I just say it without spelling it, people MURDER it, when they try to say it back to me!:rolleyes: My kids get grumpy:grumpy: about it all the time! My hubby is so use to it, that 1/2 the time he says it with the "h" just so people will at least come close to pronouncing it right!:yuck: :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

MissChef said:
touchy, touchy!!! LOL! Ann! A little sensitive about the "e", are we now?:eek: ;) I know though, I can't tell you how many times I have to say, Cathy with a "C"!! :grumpy: Sometimes I get grumpy! My last name is one, I ALWAYS have to spell! You don't pronounce the "h" and when I just say it without spelling it, people MURDER it, when they try to say it back to me!:rolleyes: My kids get grumpy:grumpy: about it all the time! My hubby is so use to it, that 1/2 the time he says it with the "h" just so people will at least come close to pronouncing it right!:yuck: :eek: ;) :rolleyes:
I'm not usually too sensitive about the e - I was just giving Becky a hard time. I was on a team at work that associated occasionally with an "Anne with an e" who was a royal PITA (pain in the rear). :)
I will admit that my last name is very hard. What bugs me is when people have it in front of them on printed materials and still spell it wrong - especially the stupid things! I just got an application for our car club this week (I'm the membership chairperson), and it was addressed to Ann Szware. Replacing the c on the end with an e is one of the more common misspellings - it's like people think, "I got past the hard part, and this paper in front of me MUST be wrong."

Related to Do We Know This Person? - Article at Escanaba, MI Daily Press

1. What is the article about?

The article discusses the "Do We Know This Person?" program at Escanaba, MI Daily Press, which aims to connect community members with their local law enforcement agencies by featuring photos and information about wanted or missing individuals.

2. How does the program work?

The program works by publishing photos and information about wanted or missing individuals in the Escanaba, MI Daily Press, as well as on the paper's website. Community members are encouraged to contact the local law enforcement agencies if they have any information about the featured individuals.

3. Who can participate in the program?

The "Do We Know This Person?" program is open to all community members who wish to help their local law enforcement agencies in locating wanted or missing individuals. Individuals can also submit information anonymously if they prefer.

4. Is the program effective?

Yes, the program has been successful in locating wanted individuals and providing closure for families of missing persons. The Escanaba, MI Daily Press has received positive feedback from both law enforcement and community members about the program's effectiveness.

5. How long has the program been running?

The "Do We Know This Person?" program has been running since 2011, when it was first launched by the Escanaba, MI Daily Press. It has since become a popular and valuable tool for the local community and law enforcement agencies.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies