• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Preventing Auto-Voting: The Importance of Verification Codes on Websites

In summary, the paper was serious about preventing scripts from auto-voting, but they could have implemented a verification code like the goofy letters you have to type in to comment on many blogs.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
chefann said:
If the paper were serious about preventing scripts from auto-voting, they could implement a verification code, like the goofy letters you have to type in to comment on many blogs.

That's what chefann had to say about the automated voting that was going on in the GJDS poll for top 10 stories of the year. Many websites require such a verification code, which uses a graphic file. Why? 'Bots can't read characters in a graphic, it requires human interaction to read the characters and enter them in a text field.

Well, the Rhinelander Daily News uses such a verification code. My friend, Jessica McBride noticed that, and had a rather amusing experience with it. I'm not going to repeat it here, because this is a family site.

But you could log on to Jessica's blog and read it yourself.

http://mcbridesmediamatters.blogspot.com/ for the article entitled, "http://mcbridesmediamatters.blogspot.com/"

Oh, you know I HAVE to go read that now! :) That hits close to home!

Oh my! Too funny! :blushing:

That's hilarious!

My aunt and uncle used to play a game with my cousins, making words out of the letters on license plates. For example, LRM might be "living room." About a year ago, I got a note from my aunt asking for good vanity license plate suggestions for my uncle. Why? Because his new randomly-generated license plate had just arrived, and the plate number was FCK 666. (highlight the words to see it better - I didn't want to just put it out there in case it offended anyone.)

I know some people who would gladly buy that plate from him!

chefann said:
That's hilarious!

My aunt and uncle used to play a game with my cousins, making words out of the letters on license plates. For example, LRM might be "living room." About a year ago, I got a note from my aunt asking for good vanity license plate suggestions for my uncle. Why? Because his new randomly-generated license plate had just arrived, and the plate number was FCK 666. (highlight the words to see it better - I didn't want to just put it out there in case it offended anyone.)

ROTFLMAO..............................................................

Related to Preventing Auto-Voting: The Importance of Verification Codes on Websites

1. What is a verification code?

A verification code is a unique combination of numbers and/or letters that is used to confirm the identity of a user or to verify a transaction.

2. Why do I need a verification code for Pampered Chef?

At Pampered Chef, we take the security and privacy of our customers seriously. A verification code helps us ensure that the person using our website or making a purchase is authorized to do so. This helps protect you and your personal information from fraud or unauthorized access.

3. How do I receive a verification code?

The method for receiving a verification code may vary depending on the specific situation. You may receive a code via text message, email, or through a specific app or program. If you are unsure of how to receive your verification code, please contact our customer service team for assistance.

4. I didn't receive my verification code. What should I do?

If you did not receive your verification code, please check your spam or junk folder in case it was filtered there. You can also try requesting a new code or contacting our customer service team for further assistance.

5. How long is a verification code valid?

The validity of a verification code may vary depending on the purpose and platform it is being used for. In most cases, a code will expire after a certain amount of time or after it has been used. If you need a new verification code, you can usually request one through the same method as before.

Back