• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theDeath of Journalism & Improper Use of the King's English

For those of you who are still struggling with basic grammar and spelling- here is a great website that I use all the time- http://www.grammarly.com
The_Kitchen_Guy said:
This one isn't on any of your websites because I took it near my home. (It's in the humor thread, too.)

Impatients.jpg

Seriously?!?! That takes the cake, KG!

Gee, it looks like everyone's in a hurry these days. I wonder if the baskets are impatient for Easter to arrive. Signage is often really bad around here. One year my pastor had to explain to the people at a local fast food place that their "Fish for Lint" sign needed an e instead of an i. He said it took him several days to tell them because until that point he was always laughing too hard to say anything.

You know, I was a homeschool mom for 12 years (yep, we did school ALL 12 years, until we graduated from high school!), and I can tell when people make a small mistake or slip up. And I can usually tell from a post if someone has a learning or processing issue--my son is autistic so I tune in to that. Those things don't irk me at all--what irks me is ridiculously bad spelling or a sentence that is not even close to put together correctly. All of us that post here with the exception of a few have slip ups. That's no big deal, but the ones that are really bad are the ones that sound just plain uneducated, and yet you know they are not.

raebates said:
Gee, it looks like everyone's in a hurry these days. I wonder if the baskets are impatient for Easter to arrive.

Signage is often really bad around here. One year my pastor had to explain to the people at a local fast food place that their "Fish for Lint" sign needed an e instead of an i. He said it took him several days to tell them because until that point he was always laughing too hard to say anything.

That's what I do in my dryer every since I poked a hole in the lint trap.

One of my favorite jokes involves grammar. A young lady from the deep south was invited to a swanky dinner party up north. In order to be friendly, she turned to the lady seated on her right and asked, "So, where y'all from?"The woman's response was a cool, "I am from a place where we do not end our sentences with a preposition."The young lady paused, took a deep breath, pasted on a smile and said, "So, where y'all from, witch?"That one makes me grin every time.

raebates said:
One of my favorite jokes involves grammar.

A young lady from the deep south was invited to a swanky dinner party up north. In order to be friendly, she turned to the lady seated on her right and asked, "So, where y'all from?"

The woman's response was a cool, "I am from a place where we do not end our sentences with a preposition."

The young lady paused, took a deep breath, pasted on a smile and said, "So, where y'all from, witch?"

That one makes me grin every time.

LOL - I've heard that one many times, but always with a different word that rhymes with Witch. :D

Nanisu said:
You know, I was a homeschool mom for 12 years (yep, we did school ALL 12 years, until we graduated from high school!), and I can tell when people make a small mistake or slip up. And I can usually tell from a post if someone has a learning or processing issue--my son is autistic so I tune in to that. Those things don't irk me at all--what irks me is ridiculously bad spelling or a sentence that is not even close to put together correctly. All of us that post here with the exception of a few have slip ups. That's no big deal, but the ones that are really bad are the ones that sound just plain uneducated, and yet you know they are not.

Their are sum regular pesters hear that make the same eros ale the thyme. Eye donut think they are dumb but there just lay sea.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/giggle.gif

chefann said:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb315/chefann1138/smilies/giggle.gif

Cute sign Chefann.

ChefBeckyD said:
LOL - I've heard that one many times, but always with a different word that rhymes with Witch. :D

Yeah, I always clean it up a bit. :p

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Their are sum regular pesters hear that make the same eros ale the thyme. Eye donut think they are dumb but there just lay sea.

Do you ghost write for the Peru Daily Attempt?

Don't you just love publications with appropriate names?

raebates said:
Gee, it looks like everyone's in a hurry these days. I wonder if the baskets are impatient for Easter to arrive.

Eggsactly!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

For me, it is just plain exhaustion! But usually one of my friends...Becky...Kacey...someone points out my blatant errors to pick on me! :D

Don't worry, still love you guys! :love:

Love the flower sign KG!!!!

Funny related story, we were in CEVO training last night (Coaching the Emergency Vehicle Operator). It is a politically correct way to say Emergency Vehicle Operations Training. Anyway, we had to look at a diagram and figure out the "dangers". Of course, we are a bunch of hams and digressed immediately. I pointed out the guy on the park bench that might suddenly get up and cross the street. That led to him feeding the pigeons and them flying in front of the ambulance. Of course, at the point I corrected them and said, "No, it would be Canada Geese."

There were two Jr. Firefighters two rows up (HS students) that I could here whispering back and forth to each other, "I thought they were Canadian Geese". I didn't have time to comment but chuckled to myself.

Of course, at that age, I would have made the same mistake. It took me 20 years to figure out that when my dad kept teaching me about his lenure, that it was actually a linear amplifier!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Don't you just love publications with appropriate names?

No, don't really get into Playboy. ;)

I don't think Peru would Attempt it, actually.

Yeah, it's a rather half-hearted attempt.

<h2>1. What is the most vulnerable part of a jet engine?</h2><p>The most vulnerable part of a jet engine is the fan, which can be bent or smashed by an ingested bird.</p><h2>2. How can pieces of busted blade cause damage to the rest of the engine?</h2><p>Pieces of busted blade can rip through the rest of the engine like shrapnel.</p><h2>3. Is "bust" a proper word to use in this context?</h2><p>No, "bust" is not a proper word to use in this context. It is not a verb and should not be used to describe damage or breaking.</p><h2>4. Have any dictionary writers included "bust" as a verb?</h2><p>Some dictionary writers have included "bust" as a verb, but it is still not considered proper usage by many, including the writer of this article.</p><h2>5. Can you provide other examples of poor English usage in the media?</h2><p>Examples of poor English usage in the media include: dumb headlines, grammatical errors, juxtaposition, spelling errors that cause confusion, and more. This is a common occurrence and can be seen daily in various media outlets.</p>

1. What is the most vulnerable part of a jet engine?

The most vulnerable part of a jet engine is the fan, which can be bent or smashed by an ingested bird.

2. How can pieces of busted blade cause damage to the rest of the engine?

Pieces of busted blade can rip through the rest of the engine like shrapnel.

3. Is "bust" a proper word to use in this context?

No, "bust" is not a proper word to use in this context. It is not a verb and should not be used to describe damage or breaking.

4. Have any dictionary writers included "bust" as a verb?

Some dictionary writers have included "bust" as a verb, but it is still not considered proper usage by many, including the writer of this article.

5. Can you provide other examples of poor English usage in the media?

Examples of poor English usage in the media include: dumb headlines, grammatical errors, juxtaposition, spelling errors that cause confusion, and more. This is a common occurrence and can be seen daily in various media outlets.

Back