• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover the Power of Vegetarian Cooking with These Easy and Quick Recipes

In summary, it's possible to do a Vegetarian Power Cooking show, but it would require substituting tofu or other meat substitutes in some recipes. Soy is an allergen, and it would be best to ask if anyone attending is allergic to it.
Hathery
Gold Member
Is it even possible to do a Vegetarian Power Cooking show? All the recipes I've seen are for chicken, etc. because it's so easy and quick. If anyone has ideas of how you could do vegetarian power cooking recipes, bring it on! Thanks!

Could you just substitue Tofu or would that not work?

Maybe for some of the recipes. I wouldn't want it to seem too vegetariany (you know w/ tofu and meat substitutes), just....meatless! :)

Morning star farms I think it's called or Boca burgers are the "hamburger" substitutes that I have eaten before and they are good, you can try those!

I think there's something called Soy Crumble that's a ground meat substitute.

I would do a mixture of veggie crumbles, and vegetarian meals.

You could most definitely do veggie crumble sloppy joes, but then, what about a bean taco, and a vegetarian chili....or a portabello mushroom stroganoff?

I'm not a big fan of tofu - just can't get into it, and I think it's not mainstream enough for it to be appetizing or appealing to people as a show demo....but if you can do meals that are vegetarian and tasty - I think people will be attracted to meatless meals.

I do all the power cooking with SHRIMP to substitute--

I have done all of the current Power Cooking recipes as shows and for personal meals at home using Boca Meatless Veggie Crumbles (available in the veggie burger section of the frozen section of most grocery stores). I am not a vegetarian, but as an avid WW member, veggie burgers and substitutes from Morningstar are quite tasty and because of the high fiber values, most are low in points. My experience at shows is that if the non-vegetarians at shows are not told that what they are eating isn't hamburger, and you cook the crumbles with the onion and garlic ahead of time just like the burger, most never even know because the texture is great as is the flavor.The package will tell you how many packets are equivalent to a pound. Although I find that it is a VERY acceptable substitute, the one thing that you will want to pay attention to is that it is more expensive than hamburger. If your host is wanting vegetarian power cooking, though, they are likely aware that the vegetarian options are more expensive.HTH! Ardi

ardipc said:
I have done all of the current Power Cooking recipes as shows and for personal meals at home using Boca Meatless Veggie Crumbles (available in the veggie burger section of the frozen section of most grocery stores). I am not a vegetarian, but as an avid WW member, veggie burgers and substitutes from Morningstar are quite tasty and because of the high fiber values, most are low in points.

My experience at shows is that if the non-vegetarians at shows are not told that what they are eating isn't hamburger, and you cook the crumbles with the onion and garlic ahead of time just like the burger, most never even know because the texture is great as is the flavor.

The package will tell you how many packets are equivalent to a pound.

Although I find that it is a VERY acceptable substitute, the one thing that you will want to pay attention to is that it is more expensive than hamburger. If your host is wanting vegetarian power cooking, though, they are likely aware that the vegetarian options are more expensive.

HTH! Ardi

The other thing to take into consideration is that Soy is an allergen - many people are allergic to it. I have 2 good friends who both have serious reactions to soy, and it upsets my DH's stomach. I'd ask if anyone attending was allergic to Soy, the same way that I ask if anyone is allergic to nuts.

ChefBeckyD said:
The other thing to take into consideration is that Soy is an allergen - many people are allergic to it. I have 2 good friends who both have serious reactions to soy, and it upsets my DH's stomach. I'd ask if anyone attending was allergic to Soy, the same way that I ask if anyone is allergic to nuts.

Thanks so much for pointing that out! I hadn't even thought of that, and from my previous post it likely sounds as though I've ambushed people at shows with this. I have not done that. The only time I did it without telling people was with the stroganoff for a large non-PC party at my own house. After, I did tell our guests, and everyone was quite surprised. With parties, I've only ever done it when the host requested it, largely due to the fact that they and their circle of friends and acquaintances wanted that.

Thanks again for pointing that out, though! :)

Ardi

The reason I ask is because I am a vegetarian. I personally would like to choose meatless entrees (just because the idea of touching meat or watching it prepared disgusts me! haha) I wouldn't want to force the hostess into any sort of meat-substitute, I'd just prefer a meal that didn't have any meat to begin with. So yes, something like mushroom stroganoff, etc...things that just don't require meat or meat substitutes. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Still looking for ideas if anyone has any...

You could just offer appetizers, bevs and desserts for your shows. There is nothing that states you HAVE to offer main dishes.

If you really want to offer a meal, then I think the 29 minutes to dinner CB has some vegetarian choices.

(just because the idea of touching meat or watching it prepared disgusts me! haha)
And not to sound stupid, but are you OK working with already cooked meat? If you have the host make the meat ahead of time - and do a hands on demo - you might not need to even get close to the meat at all!!

NON PC Recipes

You cook a pot of beans and then can make four different recipes for the week, it dosen't feel like your having the same old thing (because your not ) You have soup--- but only once if you want it that way. Or just repeat the soup recipe only, and have only black bean soup ... The recipes serves 2 but can be doubled to serve 4. You can also add many of ingredients to the freezer bag. I am just now trying to gather vegan and vegetarian options for my shows.

Spicy Black Beans
1 lb dry black beans
5 cans vegetable broth ( 10.5 oz )
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large garlic cloves minced
bay leaf
1/2 salt
soak beans overnight. combine beans, broth and next 8 ingredients in large pot and bring to boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer two hours or til beans are tender, remove bay leaf and stir in salt.

Spoon 1 cup beans (including liquid ) into each of 6 labled zip locks. Store in fridge 1 week or freezer 6 mo. yeild 6 cups

Black beans and rice
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped tomato
2 Tablespoon chop green pepper
2 tablespoon chopped onion
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped and seeded jalapeno
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup spicy black beans ( one ziplock )
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned vegetable broth
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoons salt
dash of cumin
1 cup cooked long grain brown rice
coat a nonstick skillet with pam,add oil. Place over med heat til hot, add tomato and next 4 ingredients and cook 10 minutes mashing beans slightly with back of spoon. To serve spoon mixture over rice
makes 2 servings.

Black bean salad
1 cup spicy black beans, undrained
1/4 cup of corn
1/4 cup chopped zucchini
2 tablespoons chopped red bell
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
1 tablesspoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon seeded chopped jalapeno
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
combine all ingredients in small bowl stir well. cover and chill at least 2 hours.
serves 2
Black bean soup
2 cups spicy black beans ( two ziplocks )
3/4 cups vegetable broth
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoon dry sherry (opt)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon fat free sour cream
process first 5 ingredients in processor til smooth. Transfer bean mixture to sauce pan and cook til hot. Stir in sherry ( if using) and lemon juice. To serve top with fat free sour cream. (serves 2)
Black Bean tostadas
2 corn tortillas
1/2 cup ff cheese
1 tablespoon chop jalapeno
1 cup spicy black beans drained
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 cup shredded lettuce
1/2 tomato
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
2 tablespoon diced avacado
2 tablespoon ff sour cream
place tortillas on bake sheet coated with pam. Bake 350 for six minutes, then turn and bake anouther 2 minutes or until crisp. Topp with cheese and pepper, bake 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
coat a small saucepan with cooking spray add spicy black beans, cilantro,and cumin mashing beans slightly with spoon. cook over medium heat til hot,stir occ..spoon mixture over tortillas , top evenly with lettace, and remaining ingredients (serves 2)

Darcia!

Those are GREAT recipes! We love black beans at our house - thanks for some new recipes.:thumbup:

I am not a vegetarian, but we try to eat non-meat meals a couple times a week, and try to use meat as more of a condiment for other meals too.

Beans are such a great alternative!

kam said:
You could just offer appetizers, bevs and desserts for your shows. There is nothing that states you HAVE to offer main dishes.

If you really want to offer a meal, then I think the 29 minutes to dinner CB has some vegetarian choices.

And not to sound stupid, but are you OK working with already cooked meat? If you have the host make the meat ahead of time - and do a hands on demo - you might not need to even get close to the meat at all!!

I just wanted to have a few Power Cooking ideas on hand for if the theme comes up. I know a lot of people are really impressed with that show type, and just don't want to miss out :)

No, I'm not okay w/ working with any meat. If a host insists on meat, I will literally not be okay with doing any of the prep. I won't forbid it or anything, but I'll just have to pass that part off to the host or guests. Hooray for interactive shows in that respect! hehe.

Darcia, those are great recipes. Thank you!

Hathery said:
No, I'm not okay w/ working with any meat. If a host insists on meat, I will literally not be okay with doing any of the prep. I won't forbid it or anything, but I'll just have to pass that part off to the host or guests. Hooray for interactive shows in that respect! hehe.

Maybe if a host picks the Power Cooking, during the host coaching, you could explain that you like to do the Power Cooking as a hands on so everyone can see how easy it is to do at home (if you don't want to share about being a vegetarian). That way the host will expect that it will be a hands-on and can maybe help with getting the guests "into" it.

Those are great recipes!I was just going to say that the thing about power cooking is you need one common ingredient that is going to be used in all 3 ... the black beans are perfect! Instead of cooking the meat, you could drain, rinse and spin them in the salad spinner .... then divide it up. Maybe one of those "industrial size cans" would work!

MORFIA said:
I do all the power cooking with SHRIMP to substitute--

Ummm...shrimp is an animal, therefore would not be eaten by a vegetarian. (Vegans do not eat animals or animal products or use animal products; vegetarian do not eat meat. There are those that would qualify by saying "I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken" but that's like saying you are a little bit preganant : ) )

Soy crumbles and the like are expensive if you wanted to substitute in equal measure. You could use TVP or cube up tofu.

Much better to find vegetarian Power Cooking type recipes than adapt these that are heavy on the meat.

Robin

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

You could always just go to the show and explain quickly that you're a veg-head and don't feel comfortable touching/preparing meat but that it's an interactive show and they can try the tools out or something.

I'm not trying to be snooty, but if you don't eat meat that's fine. But I can say as someone who does I'd be really annoyed if I went to a party like that and teh consultant refused to do a meat recipe. I'm not a fan of pushing your beliefs (no matter what they are) on people like that. I'd suck it up as much as you could and just get over it for that show.

Or just talk about the Power Cooking and making something else (app, dessert, etc).

redsoxgirl said:
You could always just go to the show and explain quickly that you're a veg-head and don't feel comfortable touching/preparing meat but that it's an interactive show and they can try the tools out or something.

I'm not trying to be snooty, but if you don't eat meat that's fine. But I can say as someone who does I'd be really annoyed if I went to a party like that and teh consultant refused to do a meat recipe. I'm not a fan of pushing your beliefs (no matter what they are) on people like that. I'd suck it up as much as you could and just get over it for that show.

Or just talk about the Power Cooking and making something else (app, dessert, etc).

Right, I don't believe in pushing my beliefs on anyone either. That's why I was looking for ideas of things that aren't CLEARLY vegetarian, like mushroom stroganoff, etc.

I always add a lb of mushrooms with onions and garlic use the mix and chop(it works great as a meat substitute!). I have used cooked whole grains of wheat 1 cup to 3 cups liquid (boiled in veg. stock 45-50minutes until tender then drained) and added them to the mushroom mixture and it has a great texture. DH is not a big meat eater. It works great for power cooking when I do the mushroom/wheat mixture. This is about equal to 2 lbs of meat. Much cheaper than the meatless frozen textured stuff. I also make a gluten meat substitute (not one for a gluten free diet for sure) where I cook wheat gluten and grind it in a meat grinder (reformed) and then mix it with meatless dishes for texture. It works great! Why not use TVP? That works perfectly and doesn't even need to cook very long, just needs re-hydrated. Look for it in the health food section of most grocery stores. That has soy too for those who may be worried.

Cool idea about the mushroom mixture!

Related to Discover the Power of Vegetarian Cooking with These Easy and Quick Recipes

1. What is "Vegetarian Power Cooking?"

"Vegetarian Power Cooking" is a concept that focuses on utilizing plant-based ingredients to create healthy, nutrient-dense meals that provide sustained energy and support a vegetarian lifestyle.

2. Can non-vegetarians also benefit from "Vegetarian Power Cooking?"

Absolutely! "Vegetarian Power Cooking" is not just for vegetarians, but also for anyone looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into their diet and reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle.

3. Is "Vegetarian Power Cooking" time-consuming?

Not at all! In fact, "Vegetarian Power Cooking" can actually save time in the kitchen by utilizing efficient cooking methods and prepping ingredients ahead of time. Plus, many recipes can be made in large batches, saving time on future meals.

4. Are there enough protein options in "Vegetarian Power Cooking?"

Yes, there are plenty of protein options in "Vegetarian Power Cooking"! From beans and legumes to tofu, tempeh, and plant-based protein sources like quinoa and nuts, there are numerous ways to incorporate protein into vegetarian meals.

5. Can I still get all the necessary nutrients on a vegetarian diet?

Absolutely! With a well-planned vegetarian diet, it is possible to get all the necessary nutrients. "Vegetarian Power Cooking" focuses on using a variety of whole, nutrient-dense ingredients to ensure a well-balanced and nourishing diet.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
RMDave
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • butler4604