• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Did You Forget the Hot Pad? A Warning from My Painful Experience!

In summary, Sandi's hand got burned when she was moving the skillet out of the oven, and the pain was so intense she cried off and on. She's been wearing an ice pack to help soothe the pain, and her hand is feeling better but the blisters are still there.
pamperedcheermom
Has anyone tried the Jerk Pork Roast out of the new 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook? If not, you should. It's really good. However, when you take the skillet out of the oven remember to use the hot pad. I remembered........so what's the problem? After you sit it on the counter and remove the pork roast you still need to use the hot pads to move it to the sink. :eek: That's what I didn't do. I was standing there holding the skillet, all 350 degrees of it, in my right hand. I think I went into shock from the pain and was afraid I would drop it on the floor and burn it. I made it back to the counter and threw it down. Luckily my "Round up from the Heart" trivet was sitting there for me to throw it on. Today I have blisters forming on the inside of my right hand on four of my fingers and across the palm. I cried :cry: off and on yesterday from the continuing instense pain and the only thing that helped was putting my hand in ice water. I had to sleep with an ice pack on the nightstand and my hand laid on it all night. At some point, the pain stopped and I went to sleep! :indif:

The recipe is good so you need to try it. Just don't forget the hot pad when you're moving the skillet around!

:eek: :cry: I'm glad the recipe was good but I'm so sorry about your hand!

Have you seen a doctor? That sounds awfully second degreeish to me...you need to get that looked at.

So sorry Sandi!BTW, I just did the Chicken Artichoke recipe from that cookbook, and it also uses the SS pan in the oven. So it's another one to be cautious when handling.P.S. A few days ago, I cut myself with the forged bread knife. It was the first time I was using it. Boy, that serrated edge felt deadly on my forefinger! I felt the pain all night, too!

I made the pork roast with the jerk seasoning. Very good! When I took the pan out of the oven I left the oven mit on the handle so I wouldn't forget to use the mit to pick it up again. Sandi, I hope your hand gets better, soon.

I had a host to this with MY skillet, my sister AND myself!!! Sorry to hear about your painful experience and I hope your hand is feeling better soon. Hope it makes you feel better to know you aren't alone.....

I made the Lasagna Skillet and did the same as JAE...I left the mitt on it so NO ONE would try to pick it up...

I am sooooo sorry to hear you got burned. I had a bad burn before where I had to sleep with an ice pack so I can sympathize & empathize with you. I agree with KG...you should definitely have it looked at. They can give you something to prevent infection & to dull the pain. Hope it feels better soon.

a natural healing for burns is a potatoe
it will absorb the heat

then aloe
and dont forget the vitamin e so there is no scarring

and advil for the pain :)

hope it feels better soon

WOW that an Ouch, sorry you had to go through this! I hope the recipe was worth it!

Thanks everybody! My hand is feeling much better today. However, the blisters are still there and I know they're going to bust at some point. THAT'S when it will hurt again. As long as I can still go to work and do my job (I'm accountant so I'm on the computer all day) and cook supper and wash clothes when I get home, I'm good. Nothing got done on Sunday so I have a lot of catching up to do this week! And I have a show on Sat at my neighbors house. I met with her on Sunday afternoon (had to borrow an ice pack when I got over there and our meeting seemed very long but it was because I was in pain) and we went over all the details. Everybody needs a host like her! She's invited close to 50 people but has had definate responses from a/r 15. She already has $165 in outside orders and some of the people coming have never been to a PC show. So I feel like it'll be a good show for me. Looks like I'll be wearing gloves while I cook. By then, the blisters will probably look pretty nasty.

Sounds like you have a great show lined up, Sandi.I'm sorry about your owie. Does it help to know that most of us have done something frighteningly similar at one time or another?

I hope your hand gets better, so you won't have any problems with your show. It's a shame not all hosts are like that one!

Ouch Sandi! I did that once when I made the garlic bites (not nearly as bad as yours though) I hope your hand gets beter soon.......the upside of this (speaking from personal experience).....you will NEVER make that mistake again!

I had a host do that a few years ago with the pineapple upside down cake
what did she do?? Screamed and HANDED it to the person standing next to her!!
They both were burnt pretty bad. It's just something you don't think about...... but how many times have we scolded our children for doing soemthing dumb when it probably was "natural" to them, like the guest holding out her hands to help her and having it burn her. (The guest had been standing near here when she took it out of the oven)

I did the exact same thing making chicken last week. Hurt like a biscuit. Hope you feel better soon! And thanks for the idea of keeping the handle covered, ladies--I will definitely do that next time!

I've done that, not once, but TWICE! Can we say really, really stupid? :eek: :blushing:

Hope your hand heals quickly. Maybe the fluid in those blisters will just reabsorb back into your hand. :eek:

I love the idea of leaving to pot holder on the pan, but with the way my kitchen is set up I have to put the hot pan on top of my electric stove, so leaving cloth up there wouldn't be smart. But I'm thinking here ... I know I've seen hotpads that slip right onto pan handles. I'm going to look for some, and if I can't find any they'd be a snap to make ... hmmm ...

semi-hijack
Sandy, those type of pot holders are REALLY easy to make. Just make sure you get 100% cotton fabric and batting, so it doesn't melt. If you line them with ironing board fabric (the silver stuff that's heat resistant), they're even better.
hmmm.... now I'm thinking of making some of these and putting them in my Etsy shop.

I'm hijacking a bit here... I made a meal from the 29 minutes cookbook that was painful because it was SO NOT 20 minutes! I did the shrimp & orzo... it was AMAZING!!! However, it took me 30 minutes to peel and devein the shrimp... so not figured into the 29 minutes timeframe!!!!!

heather9892 said:
a natural healing for burns is a potatoe
it will absorb the heat

then aloe
and dont forget the vitamin e so there is no scarring

and advil for the pain :)

hope it feels better soon
I didn't realize you could do that with a potato.

finley1991 said:
I'm hijacking a bit here... I made a meal from the 29 minutes cookbook that was painful because it was SO NOT 20 minutes! I did the shrimp & orzo... it was AMAZING!!! However, it took me 30 minutes to peel and devein the shrimp... so not figured into the 29 minutes timeframe!!!!!

They think you will buy them already done.

I did this same thing just the other day when I did a brownie in the skillet.

Sandi~

Sure hope you are feeling better and the pain doesn't come back!

About a year ago, I did something pretty dumb, but didn't have the foresight not to drop the hot thing on the floor! I was cleaning my gas stove...and remembered (yea!) :thumbup: that I had turned on one of the burners so the grate would be hot. I used my oven pad to take the grate off and put it straight into the sink. Well, when I went to take of the center piece off of each of the burners (they are painted black to match the stove and are totally removable to clean...) I forgot it was hot! :( I picked it up and burnt the inside edge of my right thumb, index, middle, and ring finger. :eek: I dropped it onto the floor and ran to the sink to run cold water on it. As I was standing there crying and cooling off my fingers...it dawns on me that our carpeting in the kitchen is that thin industrial like stuff that probably has plastic in the fibers. Sure enough, I use a spatula to pry it up and OUT of my carpet, where it has melted a black circle into the fibers. :grumpy: UGH! My fingers felt like they were burning for two days! So I certainly feel for you!

chefann said:
semi-hijack
Sandy, those type of pot holders are REALLY easy to make. Just make sure you get 100% cotton fabric and batting, so it doesn't melt. If you line them with ironing board fabric (the silver stuff that's heat resistant), they're even better.
hmmm.... now I'm thinking of making some of these and putting them in my Etsy shop.

If you do, I'll take a couple ... :D Or maybe you can use me as your offical tester ... :D :D

MomToEli said:
If you do, I'll take a couple ... :D Or maybe you can use me as your offical tester ... :D :D
I'll let you know. I'm out of town this weekend, so can't do anything until next week at the earliest.

KellyTheChef said:
...it dawns on me that our carpeting in the kitchen is that thin industrial like stuff that probably has plastic in the fibers. Sure enough, I use a spatula to pry it up and OUT of my carpet, where it has melted a black circle into the fibers. :grumpy: UGH! My fingers felt like they were burning for two days! So I certainly feel for you!

Mini-hijack: The Furry Guy makes fabulous old-fashioned popcorn. You know what I mean--a pan, oil, salt, popcorn, and a lid. He brought the pan in, gave me a bowl of popcorn, then placed the hot pan on the area rug on our livingroom floor. :eek: We had a nice, shiny spot until we replaced that rug. I still occasionally tease him by reminding him to leave the pan in the kitchen. ;)

Are you feeling better Sandi??? :(

pamperedcheermom said:
Has anyone tried the Jerk Pork Roast out of the new 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook? If not, you should. It's really good. However, when you take the skillet out of the oven remember to use the hot pad.

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!! I did the EXACT same thing a few years ago!!! My hand hurt sooooo bad... I cried and like you, the only thing that kept it from being unbearable was having my hand in cold water. I know it has already been a few days, but if you haven't seen your MD yet, you need to go! If the blisters pop on their own, you run the risk of them becoming infected and having more pain! After I burnt my hand (and about 12 hours had passed), I finally went to the ER (mom worked there, so I waited for her shift to start). The blisters were HUGE. The MD used a needle to drain the fluid, put a burn cream on my hand and wrapped it in gauze. Then I was told to keep my hand dry for a few days and keep the blisters well covered until they healed. It was a pain (pun intended), but I have no scaring from it and learned my lesson about using hot pads!

Painful remedyI had a similar experience when I first tried the stainless saute pan although I only briefly "forgot" and so wasn't burned too badly.

I have since made it a habit to always put the oven mitt over the handle as soon as I put the pan down and then leave it in place so that if I do forget and grab the pan, I won't be burned.

Hope this helps.

pamgranny

re: burnsHi Sandi,

I know your hand is feeling better now but please DO still see your doctor. Infection from burns is very common, I know I am an EMT and I see so many people with burns.

They will give you silvadine or something similar which will make the pain go away for good because it is like liquid ice, LOL love this stuff, and it will help you heal with very little scarring. They may also drain the fluids for you which will also help with the pain.

I am also a firefighter and have had second degree burns on my arms and hands so I do know how painful they can be...........please see you doctor....

Blessings,
Flora

Go to the doctor!!!!I burnt my hand really bad years and years ago. I spilled hot caramel on it. I too put it in water for the pain. The doctor said not to do that. I don't know exactly why. Anyway, the whole entire palm of my hand was covered with a giant blister and I had smaller blisters on my fingers. They thought they were going to have to cut my rings off but didn't end up having to. I had to rub it with all kinds of cream to prevent scarring and I think I even had a prescrition for a pill. I don't remember if it was a pain pill or some sort of antibiotc. I was only 19 or 20 yrs old, so it is a little fuzzy. Anyway, I had to go to the doctor every other day for about 3 weeks so he could check it and make sure it wasn't getting infected.

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H2: What is the recipe for the Jerk Pork Roast from the 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook?

The recipe for the Jerk Pork Roast can be found in the 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook. It is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is worth trying.

H2: Has anyone tried the Jerk Pork Roast out of the new 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook?

Yes, many people have tried and loved the Jerk Pork Roast from the 29 Minutes to Dinner cookbook. It is a popular recipe among readers.

H2: What happened when the author forgot to use a hot pad while cooking the Jerk Pork Roast?

The author experienced a painful burn on their hand when they forgot to use a hot pad while cooking the Jerk Pork Roast. The hot skillet caused blisters and intense pain.

H2: How did the author treat the burn from the hot skillet?

The author used ice water and an ice pack to alleviate the pain from the burn caused by the hot skillet. They also had to sleep with an ice pack on their hand to help with the pain.

H2: What is the author's advice for making the Jerk Pork Roast safely?

The author's advice for making the Jerk Pork Roast safely is to remember to use a hot pad when handling the hot skillet. This will prevent any burns or injuries while cooking. The recipe is worth trying, but don't forget the hot pad!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• nikked
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
nikked
  • ChefCKHall
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
cincychef
  • gilliandanielle