• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Need Nut-Free Dessert Ideas for Allergic Kids?

In summary, Chocolate Chip Sensation!! My version has a cool whip topping with grated hershey bar on top is a great option for a dessert that is non-nut, and not made in a facility with nuts.
Does anyone know of a fun dessert to make for kids that has to be non-nut,
and not made in a facility with nuts. I'm thinking of a fruit dessert pizza made with sugar cookies dough. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chocolate Chip Sensation!! My version has a cool whip topping with grated hershey bar on top

Aren't Hershey bars made in a facility with nuts?

It varies. I can get Hershey Choc Chips and there is no warning. But some of the Hershey Bars DO have the warning. Go figure.I know that one of our cub scouts parent's always asks the brand of mini-chocolate bars when we serve them as treats/rewards. I've learned from him (peanut allergy) that the Hershey Brand candy bars ARE ok (obviously the non-nut variety). I don't have kids with food allergies, but both of our Dens my boys are in have several boys with the nut allergies. I do my best to provide nut-safe snacks, and in my DH's den (he's the leader), I'm the only one the one parent trusts to do this! (shocking) Betty Crocker brand I believe are usually ok, Duncan Hines is not.I would think the Fruit Pizza would be perfect....just find a sugar cookie dough that doesn't have the warning about the facility. You could also do something with Chocolate Chip Cookie (I think there is a pizza recipe with that cookie) - just be sure to get HERSHEY Brand chips (hard to find sometimes!). I make mine homemade. Be careful about the tools you use also- so maybe find out HOW sensitive the kids are. Your kitchen/tools would qualify as a "processed in a facility that handles nuts". :D I just am careful to keep the tools very clean (hot dishwasher).You also have to be careful of any additional ingredients - watch the oils, extracts, "Honey Nut" cheerios...etc. They may have nuts and you do'nt realize it. And if you aren't sure, then give the list of ingredients/recipe to the host to verify it would work.

Ooh I didn't think of that! You can top it with anything really. I've had some top it with hershey syrup, other candy bars or sweets or just leave it plain.

esavvymom said:
It varies. I can get Hershey Choc Chips and there is no warning. But some of the Hershey Bars DO have the warning. Go figure.

I know that one of our cub scouts parent's always asks the brand of mini-chocolate bars when we serve them as treats/rewards. I've learned from him (peanut allergy) that the Hershey Brand candy bars ARE ok (obviously the non-nut variety). I don't have kids with food allergies, but both of our Dens my boys are in have several boys with the nut allergies. I do my best to provide nut-safe snacks, and in my DH's den (he's the leader), I'm the only one the one parent trusts to do this! (shocking)

Betty Crocker brand I believe are usually ok, Duncan Hines is not.

I would think the Fruit Pizza would be perfect....just find a sugar cookie dough that doesn't have the warning about the facility. You could also do something with Chocolate Chip Cookie (I think there is a pizza recipe with that cookie) - just be sure to get HERSHEY Brand chips (hard to find sometimes!). I make mine homemade. Be careful about the tools you use also- so maybe find out HOW sensitive the kids are. Your kitchen/tools would qualify as a "processed in a facility that handles nuts". :D I just am careful to keep the tools very clean (hot dishwasher).

You also have to be careful of any additional ingredients - watch the oils, extracts, "Honey Nut" cheerios...etc. They may have nuts and you do'nt realize it. And if you aren't sure, then give the list of ingredients/recipe to the host to verify it would work.

WOW! That's a lot to think about. Thank you so much for all that info!!!

wadesgirl said:
Ooh I didn't think of that! You can top it with anything really. I've had some top it with hershey syrup, other candy bars or sweets or just leave it plain.

Thanks for your reply! I'll look into it!! :)

Please know that nut- allergies are usually tree nut allergies, not peanut allergies. My Grandson has tree-nut allergies and label reading has become second nature. My daughter cannot use any of our seasonings as they are made in a tree-nut facility. I think anything with fruit would be great. Find out if this includes peanut allergies and maybe find a dip for fruit - or the mango salsa or pineapple kiwi salsa. He loves both of those. Also know that coconuts are considered tree nuts and some kiddoes with this also react to fresh peaches as the pit carries many of the same toxins. Epi-pens have become part of our lives.

otisbg said:
Please know that nut- allergies are usually tree nut allergies, not peanut allergies. My Grandson has tree-nut allergies and label reading has become second nature. My daughter cannot use any of our seasonings as they are made in a tree-nut facility. I think anything with fruit would be great. Find out if this includes peanut allergies and maybe find a dip for fruit - or the mango salsa or pineapple kiwi salsa. He loves both of those. Also know that coconuts are considered tree nuts and some kiddoes with this also react to fresh peaches as the pit carries many of the same toxins. Epi-pens have become part of our lives.

Wow, I'm learning so much today. Thank you so much! Do you know off hand if Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough is made in a tree-nut facility? I'm trying to find it on-line but am having no luck.

I am sorry - I do not know - you will have to read the label. My dear GS also has dairy & egg allergies so no premade doughs are acceptable. Good luck - it can be done! There is an excellent website - I think it is "Kids with allergies" and they have many wonderful ideas.

1. What ingredients should I avoid when making desserts for allergic kids?

When making desserts for allergic kids, it is important to avoid common allergens such as dairy, eggs, nuts, and gluten. It is also important to check the labels of all ingredients for potential allergens.

2. Can you recommend any allergy-friendly dessert recipes?

Yes, we have a variety of recipes that are specifically designed for kids with allergies. These recipes use alternative ingredients such as dairy-free milk, egg replacers, and gluten-free flours.

3. Is it safe to use pre-packaged mixes for desserts for allergic kids?

While some pre-packaged mixes may be labeled as "allergy-friendly," it is important to still check the ingredients list to ensure it does not contain any allergens. It is also recommended to double-check with the child's parent or guardian to ensure the mix is safe for their specific allergies.

4. Can I use regular baking pans and utensils for allergy-friendly desserts?

It is recommended to use separate baking pans and utensils for allergy-friendly desserts to avoid cross-contamination. If this is not possible, thoroughly wash and sanitize all equipment before use.

5. Are there any tips for making desserts that are both allergy-friendly and delicious?

Yes, there are many ways to make delicious desserts that are also allergy-friendly. Some tips include using alternative ingredients such as coconut milk or applesauce, adding extra flavor with spices and extracts, and experimenting with different types of flours and sweeteners.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Cooking with Nicole
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Cooking with Nicole
  • pamperedmomto3
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Intrepid_Chef