• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Truffle Recipe with Semisweet Candy Coating - Easy to Make!

In summary, the recipe calls for a butter/brown sugar mixture, mini semisweet chocolate chips, and flour. Cookie dough balls are formed, chilled, and then dipped in a dark chocolate coating.
ChefJoyJ
I found a yummy sounding truffle recipe that sounds super easy to make, but I can't find a key ingredient - semisweet candy coating. Does anyone know what that is, where I can find it, or how to make it? I would appreciate any help - these were going to be a food gift this year. I'll post the recipe for everyone too...

Thanks so much!!

Cookie Dough Truffles

("The filling at the center of these yummy candies tastes like genuine choc chip cookie dough - w/o the worry of raw eggs. Folks gobble them up!") -- from Taste of Home holiday recipe collection 2007

1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c mini semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 pounds semisweet candy coating, chopped (what is this???)

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour, milk, and vanilla; mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Shape into 1 in. balls; place on waxed paper lined baking sheets. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.

In a microwave safe bowl, melt candy coating, stirring often until smooth. Dip balls in coating; place on waxed paper lined baking sheets. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. If desired, remelt remaining candy coating and drizzle over candies. Store in refrigerator.

How yummy and easy do these sound??? :chef:

Last edited:
Have you tried Hobby Lobby or Michael's? They carry all kinds of candymaking items like coatings, flavorings, molds, packaging, etc. They carry milk chocolate and dark chocolate wafers so maybe worth a try? I haven't heard of the semi-sweet either. :(

ErrorMaybe it was an error. I have this recipe that I use and it's like yours. I have never heard of such a thing as far as semi sweet candy coating.

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH TRUFFLES

Ingredients
1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups flour
1-2 packages of baking candy chocolate

Procedure
In a medium sized bowl, mix in your sugars with the softened butter. Add in your vanilla, and the chocolate chips. After it's all mixed up, you can add your flour. Set into freezer for about 10 minutes so it will start to harden. Then roll into about 1 inch balls and then place into freezer for at least 15 minutes. While the cookie balls are freezing, melt the candy chocolate in a bowl, but make sure it doesn't carmelize. Then with a fork, drop the cookie balls into the chocolate and cover completely. Remove from the chocolate and place on a piece of wax paper. They should begin to harden as they sit, if not place into freezer.

I JUST FOUND THIS ON A WEBSITE. MAYBE IT MEANS DARK CHOCOLATE WHICH IS SEMI SWEET NOT MILK CHOCOLATE OR ENTIRELY SWEET.

Note: Some Dark chocolate "semi sweet" candy melts tend to be thicker than milk or white. As long as all the chocolate buttons are melted there’s no reason to continue heating.

Debbie :chef:

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain Wilton makes candy coating discs in different levels of chocolate - like milk, dark, etc.....
Ghiradelli's also makes a dark chocolate candy coating - but I've only found it at Sams Club and one Gourmet store around here. (De Rueze)

DebbieSAChef said:
1-2 packages of baking candy chocolate

Your's sound yummy too - are these truffles good??

Okay - call me dense (or not a knowledgable baker), but what is baking candy chocolate? Chocolate almond bark? Where do you find baking candy chocolate?

candy coating is a bit of a different consistency then solid semi-sweet chocolate chips-- its a little waxier and it holds up better. They aren't interchangable, but if you can't find the candy coating you need, you can make it by mixing gulf wax (you can find at any grocery store in the baking aisle) with semi-sweet baking chocolate... i'm not sure of the proportions though..

VERY SIMILAR TO ALMOND BARK-- the same consistency

Related to Delicious Truffle Recipe with Semisweet Candy Coating - Easy to Make!

What is semi-sweet candy coating?

Semi-sweet candy coating is a type of chocolate coating that is made with a combination of cocoa powder, sugar, and vegetable oil. It has a slightly bitter taste compared to milk chocolate, but is still sweet enough to be used as a coating for various types of candies and treats.

Is semi-sweet candy coating the same as dark chocolate?

No, semi-sweet candy coating is not the same as dark chocolate. While both are made with cocoa powder, sugar, and vegetable oil, dark chocolate contains a higher percentage of cocoa solids and has a richer, more intense flavor. Semi-sweet candy coating, on the other hand, has a milder flavor and is specifically designed for use as a coating for candies and treats.

Can I use semi-sweet candy coating for baking?

Yes, semi-sweet candy coating can be used for baking. It is commonly used for making chocolate-covered cookies, pretzels, and other treats. However, it is not recommended for use in recipes that call for melted chocolate, as it may not have the same consistency and flavor as traditional chocolate.

How do I melt semi-sweet candy coating?

To melt semi-sweet candy coating, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and heat it in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until it is completely melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can melt it in a double boiler on the stovetop. Just make sure to stir constantly to prevent burning.

What are some recipes that use semi-sweet candy coating?

Semi-sweet candy coating can be used in a variety of recipes, such as chocolate-dipped strawberries, chocolate-covered pretzel rods, and chocolate bark. It can also be used as a drizzle or coating for cakes, cookies, and other baked goods. Check out the Pampered Chef website for more recipe ideas using semi-sweet candy coating.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
babywings76
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • catlwilles
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies