• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Delicious Homemade Turkey Gyros - My Boss Loved Them!

:thumbdown:I wonder if it would be better to bake the meat in the mini loaf stones or even just shape it and bake it on the small bar pan or something? This may help it keep it's shape, and be easier to slice.....The gyro recipe I use is baked. It's the Good Eats recipe -...
riggs62
Has anyone else made these yet? I made them yesterday for my boss for a working lunch at my house....We both love Gyros and these were a great alternative to make at home. Next time I'm going to use ground lamb and see how it tastes. But even with the turkey, these were awesome! I couldn't get them to slice very neatly with the bread knife, but it still had a great presentation on the Cranberry SA Square. Loved it.

riggs62 said:
Has anyone else made these yet? I made them yesterday for my boss for a working lunch at my house....We both love Gyros and these were a great alternative to make at home. Next time I'm going to use ground lamb and see how it tastes. But even with the turkey, these were awesome! I couldn't get them to slice very neatly with the bread knife, but it still had a great presentation on the Cranberry SA Square. Loved it.

No, I haven't made these yet. They look scrumptious but I just got my cookbook yesterday and have a couple different recipes I want to make first. But I LOVE Gyros and have found it VERY difficult to find a good one down south!! Hopefully these will taste as good as I am used too.;)

Smashie said:
No, I haven't made these yet. They look scrumptious but I just got my cookbook yesterday and have a couple different recipes I want to make first. But I LOVE Gyros and have found it VERY difficult to find a good one down south!! Hopefully these will taste as good as I am used too.;)

I used to live in Columbia SC - and there were a couple really good Greek restaurants there - and a really good Greek Street Festival downtown too.

There are NO Greek restaurants here in West Michigan!

I have some ground lamb in the freezer and was thinking about trying these with half turkey and half lamb.......

ChefBeckyD said:
There are NO Greek restaurants here in West Michigan!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That settles it, Becky! You are coming to visit me and we're making a trip to downtown Detroit to Greektown! mmm.... big sloppy gyros and spanakopita and saganaki followed by baklava...

CAN I COME TOO!!!! PLEASE PLEASE SAY THAT I CAN COME TOO!! LOL. That sounds so yummy.

chefann said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That settles it, Becky! You are coming to visit me and we're making a trip to downtown Detroit to Greektown! mmm.... big sloppy gyros and spanakopita and saganaki followed by baklava...

Ohhh that sounds so good! I love all that stuff!!! When I first lived here, there was a Greek restaurant about 3 doors down from the bookstore I managed - it wasn't great - but it was okay - and then they closed down and became a Subway restaurant!

The Greek Orthodox Church here has an annual festival with TONS of food and music. It's so much fun, great food too. We only have 3 Greek restarants here, and that includes the crappy places at the mall. They had quite a few where I'm from, I miss it!

I also thought about half lamb, half turkey...hmm...Yummy

chefheidi2003 said:
CAN I COME TOO!!!! PLEASE PLEASE SAY THAT I CAN COME TOO!! LOL. That sounds so yummy.
Sure!

Actually, there's a large Greek community in Chicago, too. If you have extra time around Conference, that's a great chance to go get some yummy Greek food.

Funny you should post this. My husband and I just made these last night.

Very YUMMY! We also had a little trouble cutting them neatly with the bread knife. But overall, they turned out and tasted great. The cucumber sauce really made it. It was so good.

I wouldn't recommend this as a demo. We had to use my Exec. non-stick pan, so it took a little longer to brown. We had to be careful turning them so the turkey didn't fall apart.

But at least at my Sept. shows, when the cookbooks are on sale, and I show the NEW cookbook, I can say that I made that recipe.

We have also made the Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice recipe from the New cookbook. Very good as well. That went together much easier, and my husband took the leftovers to work the next day for lunch. We loved it.

Tracy
:thumbup:

I wonder if it would be better to bake the meat in the mini loaf stones or even just shape it and bake it on the small bar pan or something? This may help it keep it's shape, and be easier to slice.....

The gyro recipe I use is baked. It's the Good Eats recipe - and has fantastic tzatziki sauce, too. mmm.....

Anyhoo... it would probably keep its shape better, but wouldn't brown as much, or would take longer.

I made these and thought they took longer to cook than what the book said. I couldn't slice them too thin, or it fell apart. Overall though, I really loved them. That cucumber sauce MAKES IT! I made extra and was eating that on everything for a week! :D

Related to Delicious Homemade Turkey Gyros - My Boss Loved Them!

1. How do I make the tzatziki sauce for the turkey gyros?

To make the tzatziki sauce, you will need Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, minced garlic, lemon juice, and fresh dill. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.

2. Can I use a different type of meat instead of turkey?

Yes, you can use chicken, lamb, or even beef for these gyros. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.

3. Can I make these gyros ahead of time?

Yes, you can prepare the ingredients ahead of time and assemble the gyros when you're ready to eat. The tzatziki sauce and marinated turkey can also be made a day in advance.

4. What kind of bread should I use for the gyros?

Traditionally, pita bread is used for gyros. However, you can also use flatbread or even tortilla wraps as a substitute.

5. Can I use store-bought tzatziki sauce instead of making it from scratch?

Yes, you can use store-bought tzatziki sauce for convenience. However, making it from scratch will give you a fresher and more flavorful sauce.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krley
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
Replies
Views
Ginger428
Replies
Views
Paula R. Lewis