• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with 'Harrassing' Leads: Tips from a Craft Fair Vendor"

I mean, I don't know, people who come to my house... they're just like "so what do you do?" and I'm like "um, well I do crafts and stuff" and they're like "oh, okay" and then they're like "do you do parties?" and I'm like "um, no, I don't do parties" and they're like "well, I'll go to your booth and see if you have any party ideas or anything" and then I'm like "NO, I don't" and then they're like "well, okay" and they leave. But with the ones that come to my house and are like "so what do you do?" I'm like "I
caynreth
Ok, Yesterday I did a craft fair. It was the first year this particular fair has been held, so I wasn't expecting huge turn out or a lot of orders placed. I did get one order, though.

Only about 10 slips filled out, though. And half of those, as they were filling it out said things like "oh great, so now you have my information so you can call and HARASS me constantly." And those people marked nothing on the slip, except for the one whom I quoted directly above who drew a big question mark on her slip. How do you deal with people who SAY they don't want you to call them? Do I not call? Do I call anyway and act like I have no memory of who they might be at all? With only 10 leads from this fair, I hate to miss any opportunities.

I have to say one lady was hilarious! She walked up and said "Pampered Chef! I used to go to a lot of these parties. I didn't know you guys were still around." When I asked her about hosting a show she was quick to say "NO! I have NO INTEREST in EVER hosting a show." So we talked for a few minutes about the products, and then another lady walked up and I was answering some of her questions while the first lady stood there, obviously listening while I discussed the hosting benefits with Lady #2, flipping through a catalog and then she walked off. As she did I handed her the fair card someone generously posted here with the Cranberry Bark recipe on it and thanked her for stopping by. 5 minutes later she was back with the recipe in hand asking what a micro cooker was. I explained and she said that she never used plastic in the microwave, so I gave her several other non--plastic suggestions, and she thanked me and walked off. 5 minutes LATER she was back a THIRD time asking "so, I'm not saying I WOULD, but HYPOTHETICALLY, IF I was to have a party what's the best number of guests to have to make a successful show?" I began my answer "oh, well HYPOTHETICALLY..." LOL. Humans are funny creatures.

and that connection with her was what she was looking for----No matter what she does you have gained her trust kudo's to you----

I always say "would you like to enter my drawing? I promise not to stalk you, I really don't have the time. But, I will call you once to thank you for coming by the booth - don't pretend you don't know who I am, okay?" If they still ask me not to call unless they win, I note that on the slip and then shred their info after I do the drawing (provided they don't win).

cmdtrgd said:
I really don't have the time.

I like that as an answer to "Now you are going to call and harass me." I mean really, come on. Do you think I want to call someone who thinks I'm going to be annoying? Not really!!!

It usually gets a chuckle out of them, too.

I tell them that I need their contact information incase they are the winner, but that if they don't want me to contact them otherwise to just leave the rest of the form blank. Then if the slip is blank (or no's) I just shred them after the event.

I find humor is always the best medicine for obnoxious people. I've never had anyone say they didn't want me calling and harrassing them. If I did, I'd say what Kate said. I do call everyone. If it is blank I always start by thanking them for stopping by my booth and mentioning I noticed their slip was blank. Can I ask you the questions you didn't mark? (This gives permission to follow through). When your goal is truly to thank people and let them know what services you offer, rather than go straight to the "Want book a party".

There are some companies who will harass.... I made the mistake of entering a drawing w/ Melani Brothers... I think they do windows or something... I must've said no a thousand times and they kept going on and on and on with the sales pitch!! Filnally I had to hang up on them because they guy would not take no for an answer! So I can understand why people are wary of filling out their info on the drawing slips but... I HATE HIGH PRESSURE SALES! *sigh* I love that PC pretty much sells itself so we don't have to be push or anything, just informational :eek:

It's funny though b/c most people who go to the fairs and fill out the slips should know that they will be contacted!

Do they think that people are there giving out free stuff for the heck of it?!? NO! It's to get business. Anyone with common sense should know that.

No one should get stalked, but they should expect to be called or contacted and if they don't want to, they should not fill out their information on the slip.

What I hate is when you fill out a form from a company and instead of calling you to find out what info you want from them they send you a bunch of stuff in the mail and NEVER call!! What is the point in that? Then they just keep on sending stuff.

Well, I did a health fair this weekend and I booked 7 shows and a good solid lead on a Wed. Registry but MOST of the people were totally just there for the free stuff. They would fill out my dpslip and then ask if they could have my nice red pen... "why aren't you giving away your pens???" DUH ... people need to be able to fill out their slips???? Many really were there ONLY for the free things... several tried to pick up my PC display products and put them in their BAGS! Two asked if they could CHOOSE which one they wanted!!!!!!! DUH Again... But God blessed the day with so many shows and they dated them at that! Only one for March didn't set a firm date... those were people who SAID they wanted shows while we were talking. I have 2 more to call from what they marked on their slips and two who want Fund Raiser info. SO ... despite the vulture like quality of most of the folks... many others were seriously thrilled to see a PC display and I'm SO TOTALLY praising God for how great it went. The organizers do a SUPER job!

SO.... in light of how most of these people acted .... would you be calling the ones who didn't express some interest?

Chef Kearns said:
What I hate is when you fill out a form from a company and instead of calling you to find out what info you want from them they send you a bunch of stuff in the mail and NEVER call!! What is the point in that? Then they just keep on sending stuff.
Maybe they got tired of getting hung up on. LOL!:D

I just participated in a craft fair and I say the same type of thing "The info only is used by me and I don't stalk b/c I have a 4 yr old and just don't have the energy. Also, if you aren't interested in having a show, it's OKAY to say no. I don't ever want someone to do it if they don't want to b/c what's the point." They feel better after that. As if, I toss the ones that mark no? Nope, I don't include the ones that don't mark anything. I put on the top COMPLETE slip to be included. It's cute how people feel bad about putting no_Ohh...and whoohoo! I have $1000 in sales and cash n carry sales. Several new leads for just a customer base, shows and a wedding shower/registry. I didn't have TIME to actually book anything, just fill out slips and have them sign up! AND I had help in my booth. Next year, bigger booth and MORE help! Christmas shopping has begun!!

I do say the have to fill out everything and I WILL call them once. If they don't completely fill it out, they can't win the prize.What did you have with you for $1000 Cash and Carry?!?!?

That included orders too. I had 10 Mix n Chops that ALL sold quickly and several Cranberry Bar Boards from the outlet, plus other outlet items. Bunch of mini-serv spatulas and some cran scrapers. Season's Bests and Decorator Bottle Sets. It just really adds up. I ordered for this show b/c it's huge. I also have stuff that discontinued or I have and don't need/want anymore. People LOVE it b/c there ARE people that don't order. They'll even buy MY stuff even though it's been used! That happened a lot too. That's fine with me. I just have to make sure to reorder it for myself!!

oh and batter bowls. Who knew? I had 2 large and 2 small b/c I'd just use them for gifts and I could have sold 2 more large ones!!

If they ask me not to call, I won't call..those people won't leave their phone number anyway...but I do ask them to give me an email if they don't want to leave a number and I explain to them about the newsletters, recipes, etc, and if they want to CONTACT ME for anything then that is their choice. Usually that takes the pressure off. And they comply!

When people balk at giving their number (even at shows), I tell them I'll call them to make sure they are happy with their products, but I don't have the time to stalk them.

Like others have said, it usually gets a laugh and I get the number. One woman who was hesitant to give me her number has since placed more individual orders with me because I followed up with her.

sfdavis918 said:
I like that as an answer to "Now you are going to call and harass me." I mean really, come on. Do you think I want to call someone who thinks I'm going to be annoying? Not really!!!

I can't believe this is an issue. Do people think I have that much time on my hand. I work a full time job and do this on the side. I don't have time to talk to annoying people.

At my shows, I've got into the habit of drawing a frowny face :( on those slips who have come from people who I wouldn't do a show. Yes I'm trying to build this business but I'm not going to deal with the attitudes. I just refuse.

To answer the original question, if you dont' feel they want to be called, don't call them. Trust me. There are plenty of people out there who love our products. No use dealing with someone who is just going to give you a hard time.

Some people are just afraid that people other than you are going to call them or that you'll expect them to have a show. I've had people put no down for a show, tell me they don't do shows at all, but like to order and then agree to do a catalog show b/c they hadn't thought of that as an option. True, if people really don't seem receptive to you, you may want to indicate that on the slip. When I have time, I write notes on them so I know what we talked about. I love getting email addresses though. SO much easier to keep in touch with.

What is considered a "harrassing" lead?

A "harrassing" lead is any customer who has requested to not be contacted or has expressed discomfort with the amount or type of communication they are receiving from a Pampered chef consultant.

How can I avoid harrassing leads?

One way to avoid harrassing leads is to always respect a customer's preferences regarding communication. If a customer has requested to not be contacted, make sure to honor their request and remove them from your contact list.

What should I do if I accidentally contact a harrassing lead?

If you accidentally contact a harrassing lead, apologize for the inconvenience and make sure to remove them from your contact list immediately. It is important to respect a customer's wishes and not continue to contact them if they have expressed discomfort.

Can I report harrassing leads to my manager?

Yes, if you are experiencing harrassment from a customer, you should report it to your manager. They can provide guidance and support on how to handle the situation and may also be able to intervene on your behalf.

How can I improve my relationships with leads to avoid harrassment?

Building strong relationships with leads is key to avoiding harrassment. Make sure to listen to their preferences and respect their boundaries. Communicate openly and honestly with them and always prioritize their comfort and satisfaction.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• samcmills
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
monica_sweetconsultant
  • lemmiskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
lemmiskitchen
  • schel