• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Difficult Hosts: Tips for Managing Guest Orders

In summary, this host had a $1100 show and the guest orders were a challenge. The host had trouble separating the orders and handing them out. The host was also stressed about the show. However, the host said it wasn't as bad as she had imagined. The host had a son who helped her with the show.
GinaG623
Have you every had a host that complained or gave you a hard time because they had to separate the guest orders and hand them out?

Not here, have had plenty of other complaints from hosts before.

There's just no pleasing some people.

This was a first for me!!! And, I did state the everything was coming to here. Selective hearing I guess!!! Very frustrating...but I think I was able to make her happy. :)

My last host had a huge show, over $1100 and some guests were friends who she hasn't seen a while who live 45 minutes away. They all had it shipped to the host. She was fine with it, but when the delivery day arrived, I met up with her to give her the outside order receipts and she made a comment about not looking forward to sorting and bagging the orders. (I imagine it'll stink having to get things to people, too. ;) ) She sells jewelry and made a little comment after rolling her eyes about not looking forward to sorting/bagging, of how that's one thing she LOVES about her business...everything comes already bagged and ready for each guest. :rolleyes: Okay, but there's no way HO can do that for us! I don't think she was upset about it, just she felt it was going to be a lot of work. I'd be excited to look through all the boxes and see what everyone got, but that's just me I guess. ;)

When I have bigger shows like that, I suggest to the host to go through all the boxes and separate all the items and put them in piles (mix n chops in one place, bamboo spoons in a pile over there, etc) and it seems to flow better that way rather than digging though all the boxes and different bags of little items. At least that's what I found to be helpful even for myself when I have a show shipped to me and I have to separate. It IS overwhelming, but if you suggest a system for them, maybe they will have a better attitude about it.

Someone (I think Carolyn) offers to help un-box and sort shows over $1000 for her Hosts. It does take that much more of your time, but I'm sure the host loves it.

I had a host that was totally stressed about even having the show. She told me several times how stressed it made her but after the show she did say it wasn't as bad as she had imagined, that I made it easy (I told her that!). She had a $1100 show. I told her how the products come and tips to make it easier and that I'd come help her if she wanted me to but for this part she was totally calm. "Oh, no it's fine. I can spread them out & my son can help. That's fun."

You never know. Your host was comparing what she does with our business and found another reason she prefers hers. Isn't it great that there's something for everyone's passion out there?! ...hey, maybe she was trying to recruit you?

chefsteph07 said:
When I have bigger shows like that, I suggest to the host to go through all the boxes and separate all the items and put them in piles (mix n chops in one place, bamboo spoons in a pile over there, etc) and it seems to flow better that way rather than digging though all the boxes and different bags of little items. At least that's what I found to be helpful even for myself when I have a show shipped to me and I have to separate. It IS overwhelming, but if you suggest a system for them, maybe they will have a better attitude about it.

This is what I do and then I tell the host, "You will have so much fun! It's one of the best parts about hosting cuz it's like Christmas! You get to see all the cool stuff everyone else got and start making a new wishlist for yourself!"
When they're done, they usually comment on how fun it was to see everything.

For a $1000 show, I would be happy to have the stuff shipped to ME and I would sort and bag and then drop it all off to my host. Wouldn't really take THAT much more time and it would keep my host happy. And a Happy Host will tell others about you!

smilingdee2002 said:
For a $1000 show, I would be happy to have the stuff shipped to ME and I would sort and bag and then drop it all off to my host. Wouldn't really take THAT much more time and it would keep my host happy. And a Happy Host will tell others about you!

Actually, I offer that to all hosts within 30 minutes of my home, further if the show is at least close to $1000. That is when I'm able to do it. lol

Thanks for all the feedback. I've never had an issue til the host that emailed me last night about it. I personally enjoy getting the orders.
I'm going to ask every host up front to see what is easier for them.

I had a host who was apprehensive about sorting the orders. I went to her home and helped her open everything. She read off what the person had purchased, and in which box it was packed, I found the items, and we made piles for each person, with their receipt. At the end, we double checked everything and put them in bags (and some large orders in boxes). She was amazed how quickly and easily it went.

babywings76 said:
My last host had a huge show, over $1100 and some guests were friends who she hasn't seen a while who live 45 minutes away. They all had it shipped to the host. She was fine with it, but when the delivery day arrived, I met up with her to give her the outside order receipts and she made a comment about not looking forward to sorting and bagging the orders. (I imagine it'll stink having to get things to people, too. ;) ) She sells jewelry and made a little comment after rolling her eyes about not looking forward to sorting/bagging, of how that's one thing she LOVES about her business...everything comes already bagged and ready for each guest. :rolleyes: Okay, but there's no way HO can do that for us! I don't think she was upset about it, just she felt it was going to be a lot of work. I'd be excited to look through all the boxes and see what everyone got, but that's just me I guess. ;)

I heard this same thing from my aunt who is a consultant for a jewelry company. Of course they can put them all together, they are usually time boxes!! And those tiny boxes usually come in one small box depending on the size of your show. Some of my PC's shows come in 4-5 boxes! I can only imagine how many boxes if they did them by customer!

Actually, I heard that they were doing a test market of presorted orders to the host. It was a while ago so I'm thinking it was cost prohibitive with our products.

BethCooks4U said:
Actually, I heard that they were doing a test market of presorted orders to the host. It was a while ago so I'm thinking it was cost prohibitive with our products.

Plus, some of the larger stones, and cookware pieces don't even fit into our large bags!

For hosts that live within 30 min of my house, I offer them two options:

- The show gets shipped to her house & she sorts or
- The show gets shipped to my house & I sort, BUT she has to come and pick it up from me.

I get some that don't mind and some that prefer me to sort. I just don't like to sort & then have to drop it off, so I make them come get it. =)

NooraK said:
Someone (I think Carolyn) offers to help un-box and sort shows over $1000 for her Hosts. It does take that much more of your time, but I'm sure the host loves it.

That's me - only the ones who live within a mile or two of me. :D

I have but no one ever takes me tup on it. Except yesterday when I had fedex call me about an address error. It was a friends show so I had them bring it here instead as I knew she was going out of town last night. I had it all boxed and ready to go when they got home.

I've never had a host of mine complain. Though at my last show someone who also argued with me that it's illegal to tax shipping in NY. It's not and I know have a print out from irs.gov that states it's mandatory to tax it so I won't have that issue. Anyway she said something that made me believe that she didn't like that option. She didn't book a show, but my host signed anyway so if she does it will likely be with her and I'm ok with that. Since she's a paralegal and doesn't seem to understand tax laws!

I've had a few shows shipped to me but most of them were because the people weren't comfortable with things being left by fed ex if not home. And if I have it shipped to me I figure I'll sort it as well since it will be pretty easy for me. And I always offer to come help if it's a large show but no one has ever taken me up on that so far.

I always offer to help, but most of my hosts don't mind. I've even had hosts have another party just to help sort orders. This way they all get to peek and I've even gotten some online orders and a cooking show as a result!

No, not even with my BIG HUGE SHOWS that I offered to help with. They all politely declined my offer. :)

I always suggest a sorting party. The host calls her friends to come over and sort their own stuff. I have gotten a couple of catalog shows from it. They see things that they did not order and place another order.

cookingwithlove said:
I always suggest a sorting party. The host calls her friends to come over and sort their own stuff. I have gotten a couple of catalog shows from it. They see things that they did not order and place another order.

That is such a cool idea..I might try to start remembering to suggest something like this. Thank you for the suggestion.

cookingwithlove said:

AWESOME idea!!

When I hosted my show back in February, it was almost a $1k show. Because I live in an apartment complex, I wasn't comfortable with having things shipped there because I don't trust my neighbors (with good reason - when my new consultant kit got delivered, it also got stolen! I had to get a replacement! A+ for HO on that one - getting it to me in two days and adjusting my 30/90 days!).
Anyway, I had it shipped to work instead, which worked out GREAT since a lot of my orders were from coworkers, and I spent my lunch sorting (with the help of quite an attractive man I work with :) ) - my coworkers got their orders right away, and I had the added bonus of getting the same attractive man to carry what was left out to my car :)
Sorting is a pain, but if you have help, it goes fast - the assembly line mode of separating out products works great! I've offered on one show to help sort but my host used to do direct sales and had no problem with it. The other two shows I've done, my hosts are a bit further away...one almost an hour, and one is half way across the country :) I'll offer the assistance, but w/most of my hosts I have lined up the next few months, I doubt any will take it.

Related to Dealing with Difficult Hosts: Tips for Managing Guest Orders

1. Have You Ever Had a Party with Pampered Chef?

Yes, we offer the opportunity for customers to host parties where they can earn free products and discounts.

2. Have You Ever Had a Pampered Chef Product Break?

While rare, accidents can happen. Our products come with a satisfaction guarantee and can be replaced if they break during normal use.

3. Have You Ever Had a Pampered Chef Recipe Fail?

Our recipes are tested multiple times before being published, but if you encounter any issues, our consultants are always available to help troubleshoot and offer tips.

4. Have You Ever Had a Pampered Chef Product Not Work as Advertised?

We stand behind our products and their quality. If you experience any issues, please reach out to us and we will do our best to resolve the issue.

5. Have You Ever Had a Pampered Chef Party Order Arrive Late?

In rare cases, there may be delays in shipping due to unforeseen circumstances. However, our customer service team is always available to assist with any concerns or issues regarding party orders.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
PamperedDor
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • evk1972
  • General Chat
Replies