• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Difficult Consultants: Tips for Maintaining Compassion

In summary, the author recommends firing the bottom 20% of the workforce, telling them that if they don't start performing, they will be fired, and emphasizing the importance of working with those who are performing.
amy07
I know you all have one too, but I am really starting to lose it with one of my consultants. At first I thought she just had a black cloud hanging over her, now I can see that she brings most of it on herself. I'm at a point where I do not even want to call her anymore because I'm tired of the self-pity. I know I need to be there to support her in her business, but to be honest when I call her all I hear is : "blah, blah, blah, excuses, excuses excuses". Translation: I am lazy and want someone to do the work for me and hand me a the check at the end of the month. Oh, and can I "borrow" some supplies from you?

phew.....feel better unloading that one. now to move on to finding her replacement.;)

actually I just realized that this is the 2nd one this week that has gotten to me, guess I better find 2 new Consultants:rolleyes:

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Yes, we all have them. I have several who SAY they want ______ (the sky) but then they don't DO anything to get there. HELLO!

One of them just had a recruit fall into her lap so I am hoping that will be the thing that makes her get off her butt.

bethcooks4u said:
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Yes, we all have them. I have several who SAY they want ______ (the sky) but then they don't DO anything to get there. HELLO!

One of them just had a recruit fall into her lap so I am hoping that will be the thing that makes her get off her butt.

if that doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

But how inspiring to know that sometimes those recruits do just fall from the sky!!:pray:

Yes, we all have them. I just finished reading "It's Called Work for a Reason" by Larry Winget. A lot of people don't like him because he's a "tell it like it is" kind of guy and a little in your face. But there is a lot of truth to what he says and I really took it to heart.

His basic premise was the 20-60-20 rule. You have your top 20% who are performers. He said with these types to get out of their way and let them do their jobs. Then you have the bottom 20% who are the drains/zeros. They are the ones constantly needing us. He said to fire them. Well, we can't do that, but basically, when they perform, they get our attention. Until then, let them wallow and work with those who are worthy of our time and attention. Stop being so nice. Then with the 60%, our job is to either move them to the top 20% or the bottom 20% so we know where they stand.

Now, before I get hate responses, I DIDN'T WRITE THIS!!! I'm just quoting him. But I will say I have 2 deadbeats that are wasting my time and energy. I told them (and later found out that I was wrong with my info) that they need to be active as of April 1st or their agreement will be dissolved (not so according to the new career plan Q&A). But at least now I know where they stand. They are both trying to get something together for March. YAY! If they don't, well, they know where they stand too...

The bottom line is, do we really want people on our teams who AREN'T working? I know I don't. So I'm focusing my energy on those who are and getting them moving forward.

Bless and release.... :angel:

I'm checking my library's catalog now to see if we have that book or can get it on transfer!

this gal in particular NEEDS the money - her husband lost his job about a month ago. But instead of doing what she needs - she is spending her time working on his resume. I'm thinking to myself: If he isn't working then he has PLENTY of time to be working on his resume - she can check it over when she gets home.

Funny I just told my gals that luck is sometimes hard to see, it is usually wearing overalls and looks like work ;)
No hate mail from me, I actually list them on my cluster that way 20/60/20.
I hate when I know they need it but won't take one baby step in the right direction. I used to give them extra attention. Then I missed something that a working girl did and said...no more! Set a timer and give them 15 minutes of your time when they call you. Keep them on the emails and when they want to work or are able to you WILL hear about it!
xoxo,
Cheryl

koolotus said:
keep them on the emails and when they want to work or are able to you will hear about it!

love that!!!!!

This is what I sent to my team.....

Hi guys!! This morning I’ve been cleaning (trying to play catch up before baseball for the next 3 days) and thinking about a lot of Pampered Chef stuff. There’s a few things we need to go over:
1. Strawberry Festival March 7-8th. I still have a couple slots that are available. They are first come first serve. The following times are available:
Saturday: 7:00 – 10:30 ___ ($2.38)
10:30 – 2:00 Carrie ($2.38)
2:00 – 5:00 ______ ($2.04)

Sunday: 10:00 - 1:30 ______ ($2.38)
1:30 – 5:00 Stacey ($2.38)

Please let me know if you want that slot. Also, if you are the first and last shift (which is all that’s available) you’ll be responsible for showing up early and staying late to help me set up and break down.  It’s a lot to do on my own!

2. Spring/Summer Season- Make sure you place your order for the necessary spring items you need. If you need a general idea on what you’ll need (of course this is what I know I’ll use so your order may vary), this is what I ordered:
100 S/S Catalogs (they’re cheaper that way and I’ll probably order at least 100 order before the end of the season)
100 mini s/s catalogs for the fair and to send out to past hosts
Free receipts
Invitations
Recipe cards
Jamaican Jerk Rub
Sweet and Smoky bbq rub ( I did the 10 min pork at a show on Thursday and sold $240 worth to 2 people that night!!! That’s $480 in sales between 2 guests!!! Will definitely be doing that again!)

3. If you have not submitted $200 between January/February, you need to do so by Saturday February 28th. If you don’t, you will become inactive and lose your career sales as well as any PC $’s earned. You DON’T want to do that!! So make sure you submit $200!!!

We are doing AWESOME this month so Congratulations to EVERYONE who is working their business!! Remember you need to punch the clock with Pampered Chef, things will NOT just fall in your lap! Remember that the phone is your friend and you can’t book shows without it!!

ALSO-I’ve attached some new BONUSES that Pampered Chef just posted on CC!! Pick up the phone today to book those shows!! You’ll want those TRIPLE points!!

I haven't heard anything about it yet (from my team) and I sent it at noon!!!

Amy....{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I have an FD that has been "all most" a director for far too long (I mean close for 2 years). She is about to give up. She is one away from qualifying for the old Career Plan and they girl has now submitted NOTHING! She now will not answer her phone. In the meantime, all but one of the other four are about to go inactive. She has one gal that is a FIRE CRACKER!!

She is so frustrated and trying to muster up the compassion to keep recruiting. It is so hard. Luckily, my SD has gotten her to let her recruit leads talk with her. I tried earlier this month and she will not coordinate it with me. I know she wants to do it on her own, but we all just want to get her there and then she will probably be ok.

I see so many talented people come to this business and then just give their....NOTHING. The team end of my business is the least rewarding because with my day job, we go over the plan, it is put into action and then there are results. But with direct sales, it seems like you put a major amount of effort into people and they just do...what ever.

Related to Dealing with Difficult Consultants: Tips for Maintaining Compassion

1. How do I handle a consultant who constantly complains and brings down the morale of the team?

It can be challenging to deal with a consultant who is negative and constantly complaining. First, try to understand the root cause of their behavior. Are they struggling with personal or professional issues? Once you have identified the issue, have an open and honest conversation with the consultant. Offer support and resources to help them overcome their challenges. Encourage them to focus on the positive aspects of their business and team. Finally, set clear boundaries and consequences if their behavior continues to affect the team's morale.

2. What should I do if a consultant is consistently missing deadlines and not meeting their sales goals?

Start by having a one-on-one meeting with the consultant to discuss their performance. Ask them if they are facing any challenges or need additional support. If they are struggling, offer to work with them to create a plan to improve their performance. Set realistic goals and deadlines and check in regularly to monitor their progress. If the consultant continues to miss deadlines and not meet their goals, have a follow-up conversation to discuss the consequences of their actions and consider terminating their contract if necessary.

3. How can I handle a consultant who is constantly causing conflicts and drama within the team?

When dealing with a consultant who creates conflicts and drama within the team, it is important to address the issue immediately. Meet with the consultant privately and discuss the impact of their behavior on the team. Encourage them to communicate directly and respectfully with their team members. If the behavior continues, consider involving a mediator or HR representative to help resolve the conflicts. Set clear boundaries and consequences if their behavior does not improve.

4. What steps should I take if a consultant is not following company policies and procedures?

If a consultant is not following company policies and procedures, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible. Start by reminding the consultant of the policies and procedures they are expected to follow. If they continue to ignore them, have a formal meeting with them to discuss the consequences of their actions. Document these conversations and provide written warnings if necessary. If the consultant continues to not follow company policies, consider terminating their contract.

5. How do I maintain compassion while dealing with difficult consultants?

Maintaining compassion is crucial when dealing with difficult consultants. Remember to always treat them with respect and empathy, even when addressing their negative behavior. Try to understand the reasons behind their behavior and offer support and resources to help them improve. Set clear boundaries and consequences, but also remember to celebrate their successes and offer words of encouragement when needed. Remember, every consultant is unique, and showing compassion can go a long way in improving their performance and attitude.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• icerneaccorie
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
pamela
  • finley1991
  • Buy and Sell Items
Replies
Views
Mel5497
Replies