• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with a Risky Bridal Shower Location: What Would You Do? | Expert Advice

but sometimes things happen and you can't control that.I would definitely avoid this area if I could.I would google the address and be very weary if I were planning on going there.
yummybytes
Silver Member
Ok -- so, I got a Bridal Show and Registry when I was making calls the other night. Awesome.

So -- I go and look up the address and it's in a HORRIBLE neighborhood. When I say horrible -- there have been several shootings on this block in the last could of months. Across the street from the address is an abandoned lot that's appaantly known to be an "open air market" for drug dealing. Cops are afraid to go in the area because they get shot at.

Now -- if the shower was on a Saturday afternoon -- broad daylight and all that, I would probably do it and bring someone with me. However, it's on a Friday night... Hubby orignally said he would drop me off and pick me up, but I don't want him driving around there with the kids, especially with it being at night. Then he got to talking to some of his friends about the area and looked it up online. Literally every hit when you type the name of this neighborhood involved a shooting, drug bust, rape, or burglary. What's worse? MANY of them were on this street with in a block or two of the house.

I never prejudge, I go to all sorts of places for parties, but EVERYONE - my director, her director, my husband, their husbands, my mother -- is telling me to cancel this one. The bride is SO sweet though. I don't want to crap out on her party just because she happens to live in a bad neighborhood. I have no idea what to do, but they are right -- it's not worth jeopardizing my life to do this. My kids, hubby, family -- they all mean too much to me.

How would you handle this situation? I'm seriously going to have to come up with an alternative plan, but I have no idea what to say to the bride. I'm a TERRIBLE liar - I just can't do it.

Tell her the truth. She knows it's a dangerous neighborhood. Tell her that it makes you a bit nervous to be coming and going from there at night. You're also a little concerned for her guests. Ask if she has someplace else (church, union hall, etc) where you can do the shower.

I agree. Lying will just catch up with you in the long run. Be honest that you really want to help her fill her kitchen, but are nervous about the area.

And, if you're apprehensive about going there, her guests probably will be, too.

Could be a really good recruit potential - Have I got that on the brain lately or what?

I thought that same thing, Kathy. (That she'd be a good possible recruit)

Could you offer to have the show at your place?

My house isn't a possibility -- bad parking and a very protective dog who literally attacks strangers and barks when kept seperated from us would not make for a pleasant time for the bride.

I would LOVE to recruit this girl -- believe me -- I've thought about it. She currently sells Mary Kay and works in a retail position at the mall (which is where I met her). She's really a doll.

If your gut is telling you to find an alternative location, then you need to do that... no amount of sales, bookings, or recruit potentials is worth risking your life or endangering your children/husband over. Tell her you would love to do a shower for her, but tell her that you will need to find another location.

Ask her if she has a friend or relative that would offer to host the show with her (at their place, if it's any better)

ITA. Tell her the truth, offer to help her find another location.

Blame your husband :D Isn't that why we got married? So we could have a fall guy? :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I would not go there. Her guests may not be nervous because they may live in the same area.

Tell her the truth and offer to do it during the day if you can't find a different location.

8 years ago I did a show on a hot summer Friday night in a seedy area of town. I wasn't afraid until the hostess and her mother mentioned that a gang was walking toward us. They literally pushed me in the car, told me to "get out here fast" and I saw them run back into their apartment.

I was completely terrified!

I don't hesitate to say no if I am not completely comfortable. I have a similar situation coming up in June. I just google the address and it is in a bad area. Now I know why she insisted addressing the show as being from 6-8.

It should be light out when I leave so that works for me.

1. How do I handle a bridal shower location that may be unsafe or risky?

The first thing to do is to assess the potential risks of the location. Is it a physical risk, such as an unstable floor or broken stairs? Or is it a safety risk, such as a location known for crime or dangerous weather conditions? Once you have identified the potential risks, you can make an informed decision about whether to proceed with the location or not.

2. Should I consult with the bride before choosing a risky location for her shower?

Absolutely. It's important to involve the bride in the decision-making process and get her input on the location. She may have specific concerns or preferences that you are not aware of. Plus, it's her special day and she should feel comfortable and safe at her own bridal shower.

3. What steps should I take to minimize risks at a potentially risky location?

If you have decided to go ahead with the location, there are still some steps you can take to minimize risks. For example, make sure there are emergency exits and first aid kits available. Consider hiring security or asking a trustworthy guest to keep an eye on things. You can also communicate with guests beforehand about any potential risks and provide them with safety tips.

4. How do I handle guest concerns or complaints about the location?

Listen to your guests' concerns and take them seriously. If multiple guests express concerns or discomfort about the location, it may be best to find an alternative location. However, if it is just one or two guests, you can offer to address their concerns directly or provide them with additional information about the location's safety measures.

5. What should I do if I have already booked the location and then discover it may be risky?

If you have already booked the location and then find out about potential risks, it's important to communicate with the venue and see if any safety measures can be put in place. If not, you may need to consider finding a different location. It's better to be safe than sorry, and the bride's safety and comfort should always be the top priority.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
cathyskitchen
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefLAM
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy