• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Chocolate Cake in the Microwave: Issues with Recipe?

In summary, this recipe does not produce a molten cake like the one described in other threads. The cake is supposed to be like a molten cake, but when it is done, the frosting is in the bottom of the pan.
reneenshelcook4u
I found a recipe on here for Chocolate cake done in the microwave with the DCB. I have had issues with this recipe and not sure what I am doing wrong. The cake is supposed to be like a molten cake. You add the frosting to the top of the cake before you bake it.

When the cake is done though, there is not molten cake, it just seems like the frosting is in the bottom of the pan.

Is that how it is supposed to be? Then when you serve it do you scoop out the runny frosting? It just seems sloppy looking and not sure I want to serve this at a show.

Any suggestions?

Search the other threads on DCB.

Thats exactly how it turns out. One of my consultants turns it out onto a platter so the frosting is on top--still not the prettiest.

If you want fast and pretty try the stoneware fluted pan in micro. Quick, easy and pretty.

Thank you for your help, I will look around some more. I love making regular cakes but I kept hearing such great reviews on this cake I wanted to try it.

It may not look pretty but people love it! My show last weekend we did a german chocolate cake with the coconut pecan frosting dumped in. I never tried it but everyone said it was great. And it was so funny when I said we were doing it, my two past hostess who had it at their parties, about jumped out of their chairs with excitement over it and everyone else was then so intrigued they couldn't wait either!

my team makes this lava cake in the rice cooker, still not the prettiest, but a bit more domed

My daughter does the chocolate chocolate with peanut butter in the dcb - it's ALWAYS
a hit with everyone... yummmmy

For it to be called a Molten Lava Cake, to me it makes more sense when it's cooked and then flipped over onto a platter. It's just kind of hard to do that with the DCB. I've done it before, but it's so large. It's nicer to just serve it from the baker. It keeps it warm, and at least the baker is pretty, even if the cake isn't. ;) For this, you are going more with flavor and ease as opposed to beauty.I love making the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake version. Some people call it a Dump cake, but that also doesn't sound quite right. :D It's so ooey gooey and delicious. It's best served warm with a big glass of milk. You have to be sure to scoop up the fudgey sauce that goes to the bottom.Aside from that, I do like the German Chocolate Microwave cake in the Fluted Stone that Carey mentioned. That one looks pretty and is the same concept.You know what I've been wanting to try is making small cakes in the prep bowls that do that, so they'd be individual servings, and more volcano shaped. They'd be more fitting of the title lava cakes. Either that or when it's done in the Rice cooker.

where do i find some of the recipes that you all are talking about?

The recipe I use is make a regular cake mix using package directions, drop in about 6 small scoops of canned frosting. Microwave in rice cooker about 7 to 9 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes then turn out onto a plate.

I sold quite a few rice cookers with this.

That's how it works, but try using the fluted stone instead of the DCB. I think it works better and looks better when turned out on to a platter. You have yummy chocolate running down the cake. I go an extra step and drizzle caramel on it and sprinkle pecans on top of that. I call it the turtle lava cake...just something I came up with :)

It is NOT a molten cake by any definition. When turned upside down, the frosting (from the bottom) streams down the cake looking (depending in what you baked it) perhaps like a volcano with lava oozing. Many of us don't call it a Molten Chocolate Cake. We much prefer calling it Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake .. named after a Cheffer we all love and respect.

Last edited:
I may have missed this, but if you add peanut butter, do you add the frosting and the peanut butter? How much peanut butter do you add?

Thanks

If you want, just add 1 cup of creamy peanut butter right after you do the dollops of the frosting. I place the PB blobs in between the frosting ones. :D

RMDave said:
It is NOT a molten cake by any definition. When turned upside down, the frosting (from the bottom) streams down the cake looking (depending in what you baked it) perhaps like a volcano with lava oozing. Many of us don't call it a Molten Chocolate Cake. We much prefer calling it Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake .. named after a Cheffer we all love and respect.

Dave, I think you're the only one who likes calling it that. No one else has ever called it by that name. :p

But, you are indeed right about it not being a molten lava cake. It's just a warm cake with ooey gooey icing.

leftymac said:
Dave, I think you're the only one who likes calling it that. No one else has ever called it by that name. :p

That Keith is because it's a trademarked (™) name.

I think we keep calling it Molten Lava Cake because of the attractive alliteration. Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake may be more accurate, but it doesn't trip off your tongue.

RMDave said:
That Keith is because it's a trademarked (™) name.

Well, that, and I didn't learn it from Keith. ;):D

I would have to call it Martha's warm chocolate fudge cake....because another director in my cluster showed us how to do it at a cluster meeting last year - and her name is Martha!

I forget ... how many minutes do you nuke this thing if you're using the DCB?I made this for a family thing ... yummy!

My microwave just needs 11 minutes. I cook it with the lid on.

what is the microwave time for the stomeware fluted pan?

Dotty said:
I think we keep calling it Molten Lava Cake because of the attractive alliteration. Keith's Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake may be more accurate, but it doesn't trip off your tongue.
True but to anybody who knows what a Molten Lava Cake is, they're going to be as disappointed as Keith and I were.I do call it a Warm Chocolate Fudge Cake and nobody has been disappointed.

Last edited:
leftymac said:

But, you are indeed right about it not being a molten lava cake. It's just a warm cake with ooey gooey icing.

Like the DCB, we could simply call it KWCFC (or KFC for Keith's Fudge Cake, or any name people are comfortable with using.

I think about the same ... try 9-11 minutes ... and then let it rest with a plate on top for a while.

There is a whole file of fluted stone recipes. It's the reason I bought mine. Roomie uses it for chickens more than anything else, though.

purpleluvs3 said:

13 to 15 minutes depending on the microwave. You'll know it's done because the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and it's not gooey looking. Then invert it on a plate for 5 minutes and remove the pan.

Be sure to prep the stone (I just spritz it with oil and use the pastry brush to make sure all the crannys are coated). If you put the frosting on top of the batter you get a perfect release every time. If you do the frosting separately you must wait for the cake to cool or it all soaks in and sometimes a little of the cake stays behind in the pan - but garnishing takes care of that.

Careyann said:
My show last weekend we did a german chocolate cake with the coconut pecan frosting dumped in. I never tried it but everyone said it was great. And it was so funny when I said we were doing it, my two past hostess who had it at their parties, about jumped out of their chairs with excitement over it and everyone else was then so intrigued they couldn't wait either!

babywings76 said:
Aside from that, I do like the German Chocolate Microwave cake in the Fluted Stone that Carey mentioned. That one looks pretty and is the same concept.

Recipes please. :D

ms_twana said:
Recipes please. :D

Oh, Tawna, I love these microwave cakes. You can make them in the DCB or large microcooker (rice cooker?)---I make them in the DCB.

Check out this thread:
http://www.chefsuccess.com/f7/yummy-dcb-dessert-61933/

there are several good recipes and ideas here, and there are a lot of DCB recipes in the files section. I actually formatted one of the files a little differently and email it to my customers when they buy a DCB.

The table of contents allows you to click on a recipe name and it will take you to the recipe.

Attachments

• DCB cookbook.doc
    382 KB · Views: 682
Thanks. I did the Molten Lava cake at my show tonight. I think I cooked it too long. After 12 minutes, the edges were still a little gooey. So I put it in for 4 more minutes, and it was the same. So, I figured maybe it's supposed to be that way. LOL. It was still good though.

I was really interested in that German Chocolate cake recipe. That's my absolute FAVORITE cake. My husband is buying my MIL the fluted pan (I needed one more purchase to get 2 half off items from my Grand Opening. LOL. Isn't he sweet?). She makes German Chocolate cakes all the time. I bet she'll be THRILLED to find out she can do it in the microwave!!!

Has anyone heard about baking a cake in the DCB using just one box of cake mix and one can diet soda? No other ingredients are used. Someone posted this on the PC Facebook Page and now I can't find it. They said you can use any combo, such as white cake mix and diet orange soda or German Choc Cake mix and Diet Dr. Pepper. Then it is micro-waved, but I don't know for how long. Also looking for quick icing recipes for it.

Hi all,Has anyone tried making the molten lava cake ahead of time (like 24 hours...) and serving it? I wanted to show off my DCB tomorrow but the host has a "dorm" sized microwave. I could make it ahead, but I'd have to do it tonight, as I'll be at work until I go over her house for her show tomorrow.

magentablue said:
Hi all,

Has anyone tried making the molten lava cake ahead of time (like 24 hours...) and serving it?

I wanted to show off my DCB tomorrow but the host has a "dorm" sized microwave. I could make it ahead, but I'd have to do it tonight, as I'll be at work until I go over her house for her show tomorrow.

It's okay the next day, but only when I reheat it. It won't be warm or ooey-gooey unless it's cooked fresh or served up and each piece warmed up in the micro again. I think I'd skip it with that crowd. You could make it in the Rice Cooker though.

ms_twana said:
Thanks. I did the Molten Lava cake at my show tonight. I think I cooked it too long. After 12 minutes, the edges were still a little gooey. So I put it in for 4 more minutes, and it was the same. So, I figured maybe it's supposed to be that way. LOL. It was still good though.

I was really interested in that German Chocolate cake recipe. That's my absolute FAVORITE cake. My husband is buying my MIL the fluted pan (I needed one more purchase to get 2 half off items from my Grand Opening. LOL. Isn't he sweet?). She makes German Chocolate cakes all the time. I bet she'll be THRILLED to find out she can do it in the microwave!!!

Here's a bunch of recipes for you including the German Chocolate Cake recipe - all for the Fluted Pan. :)

Attachments

• Stoneware Fluted Pan Recipe Collection.doc
    120.5 KB · Views: 472
kcjodih said:
Here's a bunch of recipes for you including the German Chocolate Cake recipe - all for the Fluted Pan. :)

Sweet. Thanks.

Do cakes cook the same if made from scratch? I notice most of the recipes call for boxed cake mix and canned icing. My MIL usually makes her GC cake from scratch, and that's how I'd like to make it too.

I tried to make the choclolate lava (or whatever we are calling it) in the fluted stone. I used about 1/2 the can of icing and I let it cool for at least 30 minutes. But when I flipped it out it kinda fell apart in spots. Is it just me? Did I do something wrong?

ericadboone said:
I tried to make the choclolate lava (or whatever we are calling it) in the fluted stone. I used about 1/2 the can of icing and I let it cool for at least 30 minutes. But when I flipped it out it kinda fell apart in spots. Is it just me? Did I do something wrong?

I don't think you can flip it out if you put the icing directly into the cake.

ericadboone said:

Dotty said:
I don't think you can flip it out if you put the icing directly into the cake.

When you do it in the DCB, it still can flip out just fine. (I just choose not to flip it so it's less messy, keeps warm longer, and can be stored with the lid on nicely.) For the fluted stone, I think maybe you let it sit too long.

Usually when I do the cakes in the fluted stone, I take it out of the microwave, let it sit for about 5/10 minutes, then flip it onto a platter but I keep the fluted stone still on it. I let it sit that way for 15 minutes or so and then lift it off. That gives it time to release from the pan and still be warm for all the goo to come out. That peanut butter needs to be hot so it'll be melty and can ooze and slide all over the cake. If it sat for 30 minutes, it probably cooled down too much.

1. What could be causing issues with the chocolate cake in the microwave recipe using the Deep Covered Baker (DCB)?

There are a few things that could be causing issues with the recipe. The most common causes are using the wrong size DCB, not following the recipe measurements exactly, or not cooking the cake for the correct amount of time. Make sure you are using the 2.5 qt DCB and measuring your ingredients accurately. Also, double check the cooking time as microwaves can vary in strength.

2. How can I achieve a molten cake consistency with this microwave recipe?

The molten consistency comes from the frosting on top of the cake melting and sinking into the cake as it bakes. Make sure you are using a generous amount of frosting on top of the batter before cooking and that the cake is fully cooked through before serving.

3. Is it normal for the frosting to sink to the bottom of the pan during cooking?

Yes, the frosting will sink to the bottom of the pan as the cake bakes. This is what creates the molten effect. Make sure to use a heat-safe pan or dish to catch the runny frosting when serving.

4. How should I serve the chocolate cake in the microwave with the runny frosting on the bottom?

You can use a spoon or spatula to scoop out the runny frosting from the bottom of the pan and drizzle it over the top of the cake. You can also serve it with a side of ice cream or whipped cream to help balance out the sweetness.

5. Do you have any tips for making this chocolate cake in the microwave recipe look more presentable for a show?

If you want to make the cake look more presentable, you can try using a smaller DCB to create individual sized cakes instead of one large cake. You can also use a piping bag to neatly drizzle the melted frosting on top of the cake before serving. Additionally, serving the cake with a dusting of powdered sugar or fresh berries can elevate the presentation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
DebPC
Replies
Views
cochef
  • Kelly8
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies