• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dave Ramsey Check-In: Share Your Progress on His Financial Plan!

you just pull the money out of the savings and it doesn't affect your checking account. You are correct, Dave's stuff is biblically based and I think it would fall right into line with what you believe.
Yeah Deb, that should be great. I was just sitting down to right a check to church and mark it in my spreadsheet before I headed off to church!Let us know how the morning went and how many were interested!

Woohoo! it went awesome. I talked to quite a few people after church and I am really excited about what God is going to do.

Yeah!I had a "trial" after church. The manager of all the engineers at the local mill, who is also an elder at our church pulled me aside. He is looking for a Senior Project Engineer under him and wanted to let me know. I asked more about it. I'd make double (easily probably) what I'm making now, but I'd have to work 7-4:30 and work much harder without the freedom to take my kids to school, etc. While I would LOVE the additional, challenge, the money, etc., I can't do that to my kids. I was actually in tears in the van after church (luckily everyone was gone)...don't know why except that whenever I get frustrated with my current job, this potential job comes up. I told Tim that I'd look, but I don't think the time is right and I appreciate him coming to me again. Sounds like he still will each time because the seasons of life change. It's just hard to be "tested" and not know if it's a sign to change, or a test. DD gave me a nice chat afterwards when she knew I was upset saying how much she loved me and how she was so happy I choose not to pursue it for them and to have time with them. She also 'lectured' on how the pursuit of money is not where God wants us and that by choosing how I did our family will be much happier...ah, the wisdom of a 7-year-old.I know debt reduction will be a lot further off, but ah, I am sitting at home right now with 2 wonderful kids.

OK. Bought the book at conference from the FedEx store downstairs. Would y'all recommend subscribing to the online stuff? Note: I do "enjoy" filling out forms online, so it is tempting...

Ann, I am a member of the TMMO forums and enjoy it greatly. I have gained a lot of wisdom, encouragement, and friends, too. Kinda like here. :)Only join if it fits in your budget. :)

Guess what everyone???WE'RE DEBT FREEE!!!!!! As of today! Proof that this Dave Ramsey thing works!!! :D:D:D:D

That's fabulous! Congratulations!

DebbieJ said:
Guess what everyone???

WE'RE DEBT FREEE!!!!!! As of today!

Proof that this Dave Ramsey thing works!!! :D:D:D:D

WOW! Congratulations!
I was just reading the book today...and am pouring over my budget to see if a certain purchase fits. :blushing:

I started CLEANING/PURGING my basement yesterday! I NEED to have a rummage sale but we leave such busy lives, I find more joy in just giving things away to those who need it and Goodwill is tempting - at least I can get a tax deduction.

Baby steps...literally!

DH just let me cancel the paper though! He read it but not ALL the time so why pay for it?!?!

DebbieJ said:
We're trucking along....May was a great month but June not so much. July isn't looking good either. DH has had some car repairs to deal with, but at least we've paid them in cash. :)

The best news is that our church board agreed to sponsor an FPU class in the fall!!!! DH and I will facilitate! Yay God!

Deb, I would love to go to this. If it's possible to slip me an e-mail with info, please do.

I'm sure you'd enjoy it Janice. Until Deb gets back to you, go to daveramsey.com to preview some of his stuff. There is a "free sample" lesson online I think and you can find the seminars closest to you.I'm working on reading his book right now and working on the workbook.I've done a few of his things, but need to get the whole program together. Just establishing an "emergency fund" has helped numerous times already this year...have to build it back up again though, it kept going for car repairs!

jwpamp said:
Deb, I would love to go to this. If it's possible to slip me an e-mail with info, please do.

Email sent!

DebbieJ said:
Janet, you don't have to spend the $9.95. You can do a 7 day trial, get all the info you need, and then move on. He has a TMMO book and workbook that are wonderful, as well as the book on CD.

I'm sending you a PM.

Can you send me one too? I've heard a lot about him. We are also trying to pay off our debts. I would love to have some more help!!

DH's squadron is offering this class and they paid for the kits. We are on week 7 and so far DH and I have done baby step one, and have paid close to $5,000 off in debt. We are doing the envelope system and doing really well with it. We did have some problems this pay period as I went a little baby crazy and bought a lot of things (but we needed them).

Our goal is to be debt free (minus the car payment) by the end of Sept. We are PCSing in Feb so we have also been saving up for that as well. Plus I am saving for a trip to Ireland soon.

Overall, there are times when I hate Dave Ramsey lol but DH loves him and listens to his CDs from the kit on the way to and from work, and talks about Dave all the time. If I ever get the chance to meet the man, I will thank him, for everything I have learned from him.

bumping...It seems so many of us are having financial difficulties right now. I wanted to bump this thread to encourage you that there is a way out!Check out Dave Ramsey's plan! He can help! My husband and I are now debt free and enjoying such peace--you can too!

DebbieJ said:
bumping...

It seems so many of us are having financial difficulties right now. I wanted to bump this thread to encourage you that there is a way out!

Check out Dave Ramsey's plan! He can help! My husband and I are now debt free and enjoying such peace--you can too!

That's an awesome victory!

We keep cycling on the first step as emergencies come up but we keep saving it then using it then saving it. At least debt isn't INCREASING but trying to get it to decrease now.

I think we cut out our last "frivolous" thing - the paper. We can read it online.

I did well shopping for school lunches last week too...used $6 in coupons on a $40 grocery bill! :D

This is so cool: Dave will be in our area next month to do his "Total Money Makeover Live" show. I was on his website to see how much the tickets cost ($35) when I saw a link to volunteer at the show. DH and I both signed up as volunteers and now we get to see Dave for free plus he gives you a free item of your choice. We chose a Dave book and Financial Peace Jr. for our kids. It lasts all day but they provide lunch and dinner, plus a t shirt. Also, you get to see the whole show, just like people who paid for a ticket. During the breaks, we man the merchandise tables. I can't wait. If Dave will be in your area, this is a great way to see him!

Awesome, Susan! He is coming near us in Jan/Feb, so I'm thinking about volunteering, too. Just have to see how the schedule pans out...

Dave is why I started doing PC. I wanted to earn extra cash to apply to the mortgage! Obviously we are doing BS #5/6 - college and mortgage.

YEEEEHAAAAWWW :D

esavvymom said:
Dave is why I started doing PC. I wanted to earn extra cash to apply to the mortgage! Obviously we are doing BS #5/6 - college and mortgage.

YEEEEHAAAAWWW :D

Way to go!

We are facilitating FPU right now and just had class tonight. I love it! I love that our friends who are in the class are getting it now, too.

I'm going to have to go back and read this whole thread sometime... we're starting Financial Peace University at my church this weekend. I'm so excited!

esavvymom said:
Dave is why I started doing PC. I wanted to earn extra cash to apply to the mortgage! Obviously we are doing BS #5/6 - college and mortgage.YEEEEHAAAAWWW :D
I forgot to mention, that because of Dave's program, I was smart about getting into PC. I didn't just plunk my money down without thinking. I actually EARNED it. I sold a ton of scrapbooking supplies from when I was a consultant many years ago...all things that were brand new/never touched. I made 3-times as much as I needed, so I have some working capital if I need it (hoping my first show tomorrow gives me my main starter-funds to get supplies I want/need).We've also found since starting FPU, that we've been blessed with more income in unexpected places- mainly bonuses from my husband's job. He just got his fall bonus, and it was almost twice as much as we expected! But little blessings like that have really added up since we started this and have stuck with it...and we dont' feel deprived at all! It's great. Now if only I could convince other family members/friends...we'll just live by example for now. :) My parents are listening to the FPU CDs and reading his books...so that's good.

bumping up

How do you get started. We have about $100k in cc debt right now and it is overwhelming. Most of it is because of medical bills that we have no where else to get the $ from.

Maureen

janetupnorth said:
PM Debbie - she has been through the whole course!

Go to Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

If you can commit with your husband to follow his plan you WILL see results.

How long does it take to see results?? We are having major problems right now and with my Thyroid surgery we both missed work and since it was cancer, I will be missing more work in the next few weeks, plus PC will be on hold for a couple weeks. I was just wondering if it took months or years to start to see some light at the end of the tunnel??

As long as you apply yourself to the plan, you can start seeing results IMMEDIATELY. Go check it out and come back here to ask questions or get on the Total Money Makeover boards and start reading.

I just got my envelope system. After the scare with our dog having surgery, my DH finally sees that this is the way for us to be out of debt. It is a long road but we are starting our on the right track!

Ok Deb, tell me why I should pay $89.95 to join the site for a year. (Besides the free book which I already have thanks to a wonderful person!) Tell me what it does to help you please!

janetupnorth said:
Ok Deb, tell me why I should pay $89.95 to join the site for a year. (Besides the free book which I already have thanks to a wonderful person!)

Tell me what it does to help you please!

Janet, the site is a lot like here---motivation and ideas to keep you on the path, to keep working. There are lots of people to bounce ideas off of, to share ideas, prayers, and other silly things. Sometimes, Lampo (Dave's company) will extend specials to TMMO.com subscribers only. For example, DH and I got to take FPU online for FREE as part of a beta test.

I heard there is also another (free) board called Live Like No One Else, although I have not visited it.

I think it is well worth the money. You can pay forward the book. You also get an envelope system when you sign up for a year.

DebbieJ said:
Janet, the site is a lot like here---motivation and ideas to keep you on the path, to keep working. There are lots of people to bounce ideas off of, to share ideas, prayers, and other silly things. Sometimes, Lampo (Dave's company) will extend specials to TMMO.com subscribers only. For example, DH and I got to take FPU online for FREE as part of a beta test.

I heard there is also another (free) board called Live Like No One Else, although I have not visited it.

I think it is well worth the money. You can pay forward the book. You also get an envelope system when you sign up for a year.

I DEFINITELY would pay forward the book!

Thanks for the comments. That is what I was looking for. I read the site information but wanted to hear it from someone currently using the plan.

I haven't dug into the envelope system in its entirety yet...just dabbled in my own way. I need to dig into it MORE!

Hey, for those who do Dave Ramsey, I just started a Total Money Makeover Group. Check in!

I just want to bump this again. I've dabbled with the steps Dave Ramsey offers and someone wonderful on here sent me the book which I've been gradually reading.FINALLY this month I jumped in with both feet to apply the principles. I'm already feeling less stress and better about life. If you are living beyond your means, have debt sitting, or just feel unsure about your job or the economy, get on task now!!!! You'll be glad you did.DebbieJ has a great story on how far she's come, Colleen I know does the plan and many others. If you can find a FPU and get your spouse on board with you, it will do wonders!I started a group on here...feel free to join if you need help sticking to the tasks.As Dave says, "If you live like no one else, later you can LIVE like no one else."It's not rocket science, it's basic principles you KNOW you should follow but psychologically don't always.

Yay Janet!

I just spent the last however-many-minutes reading this entire thread. I am amazed at how this system has worked for all of you. Unfortunately, all of my debt will be paid off soon, but at a huge cost - my credit score. I'm not even sure I have a score anymore.

We had thousands and thousands of medical bills the past few years. And hubby's hours were cut, so I paid what I could, but some have gone to collection and the credit cards have too. I have payment arrangements will all my credit card companies (only 3) and those will be paid off in about 4 months. We have basically been forced to use cash/debit only. My first priority after the credit cards will be to pay off the items in collection. After that, the only debt is the house and hubby's truck that we had to get him....which is at a high interest due to our lousy credit - but he had to have it.

After reading all of this, I am going to find a DR program in our area that will help us in the future. I'm re-reading what I typed, and I'm not really sure if any of this applies to this thread; I guess I am glad that I am not the only one struggling financially.

Carla, I hope you can find a Financial Peace Class in your area. If you can't, I encourage you to do what we did--start your own! Check with your church leadership and ask them to purchase the leadership kit and allow the class to meet there. We are halfway through our first class and lives are being changed. It is incredible.

Carla - also go to Dave Ramsey's site and look around - sign up for a 7-day free trial. Also look for the book Total Money Makeover. You are already doing a good thing using cash, but you'll learn so much more with budgeting. The FPU class would be wonderful for you but don't stand still. There are many even more worse off than you turning their finances around. Stick to it!!!!

Oh, and by the way--FPU coordinators get FREE access to the website. :):)

DebbieJ said:
Oh, and by the way--FPU coordinators get FREE access to the website. :):)

Sure, rub it in Deb! :p Seriously, that is AWESOME!

I don't have the time right now to read all 10 pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been covered or not. I apologize if it has. My hubby has his own maintenance business & we don't have a "regular" income. We take "draws" from the business when we need money but if the company doesn't get paid, we can't get money either. Does Dave's program cover situations where you don't have a regular weekly or bi-weekly paycheck?

Stampaholic1961 said:
I don't have the time right now to read all 10 pages of this thread so I don't know if this has been covered or not. I apologize if it has. My hubby has his own maintenance business & we don't have a "regular" income. We take "draws" from the business when we need money but if the company doesn't get paid, we can't get money either. Does Dave's program cover situations where you don't have a regular weekly or bi-weekly paycheck?

Yes, he does. I don't know much about it because it's not my situation, but I know he addresses it.

I just purchased the FPU Lifetime Family Membership Kit (it was $199 and on sale for $109). We have several classes going on in our area, I am so excited to go!

I felt that it is a wonderful investment. Thought I would bump this for anyone who has made a New Year's Resolution to get their finances in order!

Thanks for the heads up. I discussed attend FPU with my DH and he has agreed. I'll have to check into getting the membership.

Good idea Janice!Also, for anyone else interested--if you take FPU through a church, they often offer the membership kit for less. You don't have to buy the kit through the website to take the class, you order it through the church. The church purchases kits in bulk for people that enroll in the class. Most churches have the kit for $93-$100.

I'm so excited! We made the last payment on our van on 12/31. We are starting off 2009 debt-free. We don't even have a mortgage. Budgeting & using the envelope system has really helped us see where we were wasting money.

Congrats Crystal!! That is AMAZING! It's such a great feeling, isn't it?We just did our January budget last night and dumped another $1k into our savings account last night. I love it! The budget is key!

we have officially signed up to the TMMO online program. My husband and I read the books and have "dabbled" in the program for a couple months, but we are sooo serious about doing this NOW!! I am really excited.

<h2>1. What is the Dave Ramsey financial plan?</h2><p>The Dave Ramsey financial plan, also known as the "Baby Steps" plan, is a step-by-step guide to help individuals get out of debt and achieve financial stability. It focuses on creating a budget, paying off debt, saving for emergencies, and investing for the future.</p><h2>2. How do I get started with the Dave Ramsey plan?</h2><p>The first step is to create a budget and track your expenses. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back and save money. Then, you can start following the Baby Steps, which include building an emergency fund, paying off debt using the debt snowball method, and investing for retirement.</p><h2>3. How long does it take to complete the Dave Ramsey plan?</h2><p>The timeline for completing the Dave Ramsey plan varies depending on individual circumstances, such as the amount of debt and income level. On average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete the plan and become debt-free.</p><h2>4. Can I still follow the Dave Ramsey plan if I have a low income?</h2><p>Yes, the Dave Ramsey plan is designed to work for people of all income levels. It may take longer to complete the steps, but the principles and strategies are still applicable. It's important to focus on cutting expenses and increasing income to make progress on the plan.</p><h2>5. How can I stay motivated while following the Dave Ramsey plan?</h2><p>It can be challenging to stay motivated while working towards financial goals, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals, celebrate small victories, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of following the plan.</p>

Related to Dave Ramsey Check-In: Share Your Progress on His Financial Plan!

1. What is the Dave Ramsey financial plan?

The Dave Ramsey financial plan, also known as the "Baby Steps" plan, is a step-by-step guide to help individuals get out of debt and achieve financial stability. It focuses on creating a budget, paying off debt, saving for emergencies, and investing for the future.

2. How do I get started with the Dave Ramsey plan?

The first step is to create a budget and track your expenses. This will help you identify areas where you can cut back and save money. Then, you can start following the Baby Steps, which include building an emergency fund, paying off debt using the debt snowball method, and investing for retirement.

3. How long does it take to complete the Dave Ramsey plan?

The timeline for completing the Dave Ramsey plan varies depending on individual circumstances, such as the amount of debt and income level. On average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete the plan and become debt-free.

4. Can I still follow the Dave Ramsey plan if I have a low income?

Yes, the Dave Ramsey plan is designed to work for people of all income levels. It may take longer to complete the steps, but the principles and strategies are still applicable. It's important to focus on cutting expenses and increasing income to make progress on the plan.

5. How can I stay motivated while following the Dave Ramsey plan?

It can be challenging to stay motivated while working towards financial goals, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Surround yourself with a community of like-minded individuals, celebrate small victories, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of following the plan.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
IAmChefJ
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK