• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Paying Cash for Groceries...help!

In summary, the conversation is about starting a thread and using the envelope system for budgeting. The topic of using a handheld clicker or calculator to keep track of grocery expenses is also discussed, along with different methods for staying within a budget. One person shares a link for a vintage "Add-A-Matic" and another talks about how they use their job to afford going over budget.
GeorgiaPeach
Silver Member
For the record...starting a thread is SO hard :) I want to make the title something cute and catchy to grab your attention but that was all I could come up with....maybe I should have put KY. :p A while back we had a thread regarding Dave Ramsey and his Financial Peace University. He advocates dividing up your money into envelopes and paying cash for everything. Friday I completely ran out of checks so this week we are forced to begin the envelope system :)I always write a check so don't worry about exactly what is going in the cart. So if it's $70 or $78...not a problem. I'm worried about paying with cash. I don't want to have to put stuff back.I've seen (many years ago!) little hand held "clickers" that you use to tally what goes in your cart. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Know where I can get one? Anyone else pay cash and have little tips or suggestions?

My mom must have had one of those. I remember playing with one when I was a kid.

JAE said:
My mom must have had one of those. I remember playing with one when I was a kid.

See if she remembers what it's called. I thought a catalog like Harriet Carter would have them or I could google it. But don't think "grocery clicker thing" will work :)

My mom always kept track in her head. Which is why we weren't allowed to talk when she was grocery shopping.

When my husband was in the military, we were on a really tight budget. I would only spend $100 or less for two weeks of groceries. I always just took a small calculator and added everything up as I went along.

I haven't seen one of those in years!

My Mom had one of the clickers. I have no idea where you could get one today - sorry no help.

My sister used write her list up at home and the estimate prices next to them. Then when she went to the store, she kept track on a calculator so she knew if she was on target or off target with how much money she was spending. I know that this helped her out alot.

I try to stay on budget for groceries.....I use a little trick my dad taught me years ago - I keep track in my head, rounding up or down to the nearest dollar - so for example:

Ground round - $3.29 ($3)
organic eggs - $2.79 ($3)
carrots $1.39 ($1)
Apples $1.99 ($2)
Cereal $3.19 ($3)

It's amazing how it works! When I do this, I am always within a dollar or two of the actual cost ~ and I don't have to worry about if I accidently erase a total or make an error with a calculator.

My first post! They were called "Add-A-Matic"s, and there is at least one on http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Chadwick-Super-Add-A-Matic_W0QQitemZ200189219614QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0801041025a11314.I use the estimation method, too, but I am awful at keeping track as I go. I'm like ChefAnn's mom, only my kids don't actually stay quiet! So I "touch and add" a few times during the trip (of course, you have to pay real attention to prices as you put items in the cart).

I wish I could stay on budget. I did great today, but I didn't get milk or bagels because the store was out. (Yes, the store was out of the skim milk that was on sale. Seriously!) My kids love blueberry bagels, anhd they were $1 and gone. Also needed hair color and my color was gone. Sale was buy two and get a $5 off. There was only one. So, back to the store in a few days to finish. It will blow the budget, but that's one of the reasons I sell PC, so I can afford to blow my budget.

JAE said:
I wish I could stay on budget. I did great today, but I didn't get milk or bagels because the store was out. (Yes, the store was out of the skim milk that was on sale. Seriously!) My kids love blueberry bagels, anhd they were $1 and gone. Also needed hair color and my color was gone. Sale was buy two and get a $5 off. There was only one. So, back to the store in a few days to finish. It will blow the budget, but that's one of the reasons I sell PC, so I can afford to blow my budget.

What's up with the milk shortage?? I've noticed it around here. WalMart (where I do the majority of my shopping) has been out of skim 3 out of the last 4 times I've been there. Sunday had to buy a half gallon, stopped at a convenience store tonight to just grab one...nothing but whole milk. Milk in Macon is almost $1.50 more per gallon than in my in laws dinky little town in WV.

I'm afraid to use a calculator because I'd probably clear it out by accident. I think I'll try the "round up and make tally marks on my list" method. I did find a tally clicker thing for $8, looks like something I can buy at a sporting goods place...like one of those things they used to use to count people as they enter a ball game.

We've been doing this for a while and I definately think making a list is a must. If I don't have a list and have estimates for items then it's very difficult to stay in budget and get everything I need. I do try to plan ahead for those items like toilet paper, hair color, etc. that I don't purchase every week so that I spread those out. I also put an estimate next to everything and then just keep track as I go along if things are more or less than the budget. We make a game out of it and when I store up enough extra money by being under budget we all go out to dinner. It is so much easier to overspend when you don't use cash...especially at places like Costco!

MicheleC said:
We've been doing this for a while and I definately think making a list is a must. If I don't have a list and have estimates for items then it's very difficult to stay in budget and get everything I need. I do try to plan ahead for those items like toilet paper, hair color, etc. that I don't purchase every week so that I spread those out. I also put an estimate next to everything and then just keep track as I go along if things are more or less than the budget. We make a game out of it and when I store up enough extra money by being under budget we all go out to dinner. It is so much easier to overspend when you don't use cash...especially at places like Costco!
We are on DR's plan also. I have a hard time with this too. I end up stealing from another envelope if I go over. I am getting better though. I think I am going to start doing an estimate on paper and then keep track at the store.

We let our Costco membership go because we always bought things we didn't need and then spent like $200! I just go to the grocery store and buy everything. I even need to stay out of Target!!

You can use any basic counter...I'll look at work, we may have a few sitting around from back before the PCs when packers would count their packages for the tally sheets.

I round and add in my head - I'm usually within a buck or two. I use a debit card - still paying cash basically but not carrying cash. You just have to stick to your budget.

I am in the process of the Total Money Makeover with Dave Ramsey. I am so excited to be getting my finances straight. I haven't made it to the cash/envelope method yet but like these ideas for keeping track of the budget.

chefann said:
My mom always kept track in her head. Which is why we weren't allowed to talk when she was grocery shopping.
My mom did the same thing. Could not talk while we were shopping. I do remember the "grocery clicker thing" though.

I am about to use Dave Ramsey.

I don't know about the clicker, but I have a lot of friends who use calculators.

I'm doing DR's TMMO and add in my head. I know how much I can spend on groceries each week so I just add up and go. Definitely use a list and stick to it. The reality is, if yo budget $100 and your total is $110, put $10 back. People do it ALL THE TIME at the Meijer I go to. No one cares... it's not big deal. And no one is going to starve because that last $10 worth didn't make it home.Good luck... once you get the hang of it, it's not that hard!

I also use the envelope system. It is taking a while to get used to. So much easier to swipe that debit card. LOL. I have been using a small calculator or just add on my grocery list. I always round up so that I make sure I have enough.

I'm doing Dave Ramsey's plan also. DH and I are doing the Financial Peace University classes. Love it! We got our budget planned out for Jan 1. The first week at the store was a little scary! I had alreay purchased some items at another store so I only had about $78 for 1 week. I loaded my stuff on to the conveyer belt thing in order of importance... the stuff we HAD to have went first... things I could put back went on last. I just watched the total as it added up on the screen. I was ready to pull the plug when it hit $75 or so. I didn't go over... I had about 1.25 left. SUCH A GOOD FEELING!! We didn't get cash out this week - forgot so we did the debit card - I feel better with Cash. I knew if we went over with the card I wouldn't put stuff back!

A list is a must... we planned out our meals for the week and stuck by it. This week however I have to scrounge in the freezer and pantry... we didn't get all we needed because I forgot my list and now we are out of budget. We will make it but... not fun.

I can't wait to get things paid off though!! That will make this all worth while! We can do it!

If anyone's looking for a little help, there are several of us on the boards who use Grocery Game to save on groceries. It might be a little tough to start while you're following DR, but it can really help with the grocery budget.

We get free weeks for referrals, so if you're considering trying it, PM me or Colleen (finley1991) - or anyone else who wants to share that they do GG.

chefann said:

I think it was just because she wanted some peace and quiet.:love:

katie0128 said:
I think it was just because she wanted some peace and quiet.:love:
We were quiet. "Children should be seen and not heard," after all. But, man, would we get in trouble if we made her lose count in the grocery store!

Related to Paying Cash for Groceries...help!

1. Can I use cash to pay for my groceries when ordering through Pampered Chef?

Yes, you can use cash to pay for your groceries when ordering through Pampered Chef. Our online ordering system accepts various forms of payment, including cash.

2. How do I pay for my groceries with cash when using Pampered Chef?

When placing your order, select the option to pay with cash. Once you have completed your order, you will receive instructions on how to make a cash payment either in person or through mail.

3. Do I need to have exact change when paying for my groceries with cash through Pampered Chef?

No, you do not need to have exact change when paying for your groceries with cash through Pampered Chef. Our system will calculate the total amount due and any change will be credited to your account for future purchases.

4. Is there a limit to how much I can pay with cash for my Pampered Chef grocery order?

There is no limit to how much you can pay with cash for your Pampered Chef grocery order. However, if your order exceeds a certain amount, you may be required to provide additional information for security purposes.

5. Can I change my payment method from cash to credit/debit card after placing my order through Pampered Chef?

Unfortunately, we are unable to change the payment method from cash to credit/debit card after an order has been placed through Pampered Chef. If you wish to pay with a different method, you will need to cancel your current order and place a new one.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
beckyjsmith
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • NooraK
  • General Chat
Replies