• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Microsoft Announces Automated Grocery Carts

In summary, Microsoft and MediaCart have announced a joint development for a high tech grocery cart that will scan and track your purchases as you shop. The cart will automatically check you out when you leave the store, but you will need a frequent shopper card to use it. The cart will also bombard you with personalized product ads while you shop. While some may find this concept useful, others are concerned about privacy and the constant advertising. Additionally, the conversation touches on the use of plastic bags and the introduction of reusable bags.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
Microsoft has announced a joint development with MediaCart for a high tech grocery cart. The cart will scan your choices as you put them in the cart and automatically check you out when you leave the store.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/01/mediacart-microsoft.jpg

The bad news is that you will need one of those frequent shopper cards, that tracks your purchases. Advertising will be customized to you, so you'll be bombarded with product ads, as you enter each aisle, based on what is in that aisle and what your buying habits are.

No, I'm not joking. You can read about this here.

Now if we could come up with barcodes for our customers...:rolleyes:

I saw this concept a year or so back...interesting to see more now.

I've heard about these. Some stores already use them. Or something similar. They are tied to a credit/debit card, so you don't even need to go through the checkout lane.

Too much "big brother" for me.

Do they automatically bag your groceries too?

pamperedlinda said:
Do they automatically bag your groceries too?

Probably about as well as using those cheap plastic bags at Walmart...can't even get those from cart to car without losing half my stuff!!!!

I have a crochet pattern that uses those bags instead of yarn to make a better tote bag. :)

Glad they're good for SOMETHING!

chefann said:
I have a crochet pattern that uses those bags instead of yarn to make a better tote bag. :)
I have a friend who makes those - rather ingenious. she hates the part where you have to cut the bags up though.

Honestly, I would LOVE to shop at a store with one of those carts. I spend so much time in the grocery store it's ridiculous. And then waiting in line... I hate going through a checker because they never bag my groceries the right way (um, don't put my bleach with my food!). I usually do self check because I can make sure the prices are right and that my groceries are bag the way I want to take them out when I get home.

I wish it would give a calorie count too of the food items!!! :eek: For me, it would probably help me make less impulse buys. :thumbup:

chefann said:
I've heard about these. Some stores already use them. Or something similar. They are tied to a credit/debit card, so you don't even need to go through the checkout lane.

Too much "big brother" for me

Me too! Plus - the constant ads in every aisle would annoy me to no end!:grumpy:

And what happens when you put stuff back? I do that all the time - put stuff in my cart, and then decide to get something different, or decide that I am going to be strong and NOT buy that French Silk Ice Cream.......

On the plastic bag front - Meijers has started selling these great reusable bags ~ I bought 8 of them (for only $8) and use those every week - LOVE them!

[rant]
The dogooders, the ones who told us 25 years ago we had to save trees and use plastic shopping bags, are now the same dogooders bemoaning that we have to get rid of plastic shopping bags because they're an environmental hazard. They're pointing out that trees are a renewable resource...HELLO!?! That's what some of us tried to tell those idiots 25 years ago - and I think of those morons every time I try to fish a plastic grocery bag down out of a tree - or pay to much for gasoline that's diluted with corn.
[/rant]I don't mind the automated shopping cart so much - personal privacy pretty much went out the window with the Internet.

ChefBeckyD said:
Me too! Plus - the constant ads in every aisle would annoy me to no end!:grumpy:

And what happens when you put stuff back? I do that all the time - put stuff in my cart, and then decide to get something different, or decide that I am going to be strong and NOT buy that French Silk Ice Cream.......

On the plastic bag front - Meijers has started selling these great reusable bags ~ I bought 8 of them (for only $8) and use those every week - LOVE them!
My grandmother used canvas tote bags 50 years ago so she didn't build up a huge pile of paper sacks.

I used canvas tote bags in the local Pick 'n' Slave 15 years ago and got laughed out of the place.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
[rant]
The dogooders, the ones who told us 25 years ago we had to save trees and use plastic shopping bags, are now the same dogooders bemoaning that we have to get rid of plastic shopping bags because they're an environmental hazard. They're pointing out that trees are a renewable resource...

HELLO!?! That's what some of us tried to tell those idiots 25 years ago - and I think of those morons every time I try to fish a plastic grocery bag down out of a tree - or pay to much for gasoline that's diluted with corn.
[/rant]

I don't mind the automated shopping cart so much - personal privacy pretty much went out the window with the Internet.

This annoys me to no end. I know what you mean, KG. When we grew up we were raised with an awareness of the environment and against litter, etc. I see more litter than I ever remember pre-"Indian with the tear" days. Where did the fines for littering go? Seems like when the "green" people got into the corporate world, they forgot about what we learned. I try to teach my son, but he can't see what the big deal is about.:(

You could actually stand the new fabric totes up in your cart and bag as you go. Ok, they may not stand up completely empty, but you know what I mean. I have bought 4 of them and love them. I use them all the time and the deep covered baker fits nicely in the bottom for transporting, although not greatly protected.

baychef said:
This annoys me to no end. I know what you mean, KG. When we grew up we were raised with an awareness of the environment and against litter, etc. I see more litter than I ever remember pre-"Indian with the tear" days. Where did the fines for littering go? Seems like when the "green" people got into the corporate world, they forgot about what we learned. I try to teach my son, but he can't see what the big deal is about.:(
The "Indian with the tear" ad disappeared because it was so effective that littering stopped being a problem.

That's like not immunizing kids against TB because it's almost extinct.

Oh KG, you HAD to bring up ethanol...grrr...talk about a good way to raise my grocery prices...just go build a new refinery people!

janetupnorth said:
Oh KG, you HAD to bring up ethanol...grrr...talk about a good way to raise my grocery prices...just go build a new refinery people!

Okay - this is the biggest mystery to me...what is the deal with that? It gets talked about and talked about....why doesn't someone build one?

chefann said:

I've seen a knitting pattern similar to that too!

Personally, I like the bags I made out of old t-shirts that still had life, just not as fashion. LOL... two t-shirts make a VERY sturdy grocery bag, only problem is I tend to over stuff them (they stretch, a little) and then they're too heavy to carry. LOL

As for the computer cart, I don't see those holding up. I mean, the last time our grocery store redid the aisles, they put these aisle locator things on the cart and they were mostly broken off within a week... I don't see those things holding up to most folks, kids hanging off the cart and other things.. plus, how's it gonna take weighed items? I'm not looking forward to something like that. I can't even stand self-check out things... they are SOOOOO frustrating and do not work half the time. One time I really gave it a good go... 15 minutes later (for one bag of groceries) I vowed never to bother... the gal in the express aisle is paid to do her job for a reason. LOL

chefann said:

Are you offering to make plastic tote bags for anyone who sends you a bunch of Wal-Mart bags???? Are you, Are you?!?!?!?

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - this is the biggest mystery to me...what is the deal with that? It gets talked about and talked about....why doesn't someone build one?
The ecoweenie's will not allow it. They are the same ones who are blocking oil dilling in ANWR and don't want us to build any more coal plants.

lkprescott said:
...... I can't even stand self-check out things... they are SOOOOO frustrating and do not work half the time. One time I really gave it a good go... 15 minutes later (for one bag of groceries) I vowed never to bother... the gal in the express aisle is paid to do her job for a reason. LOL
I agree with you! I don't self check out either. I don't work there, why should I pay you to let me work there? Now, if they gave me a discount for doing their job I might be more inclined to self check out.

katie0128 said:
Are you offering to make plastic tote bags for anyone who sends you a bunch of Wal-Mart bags???? Are you, Are you?!?!?!?
No, but I can send you the pattern. :) I think it takes something like 50 bags, too.

pamperedlinda said:
I agree with you! I don't self check out either. I don't work there, why should I pay you to let me work there? Now, if they gave me a discount for doing their job I might be more inclined to self check out.
I love self check out! I HATE standing in lines, especially if I have a handful of items.

We don't have any in Wisconsin, it might be against the law in this regressively progressive state.

I LOVE self check my boyfriend hates it.....he says if I want to scan my items so bad then I need to get a job at wal-mart paying me to do it. lol If I had enough money to not worry about income I would LOVE to be a checker & scan items all day :) crazy huh....lol

I love the self check out things because I really really hate dealing with stupid kids. I understand that I'm still a kid since I'm only 21, but at the same time these high school kids need to quit bs-ing with their friends while at work!!! That seems to be very common at all the local grocery stores.
and those totes that you can get really cheap, at some grocery stores they give you a discount! They also have them at Target, although they give no discount.

I really hate when people go through the self-check lines with more than 15 items. It's clearly posted - go to the regular line when you have a cart full!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I love self check out! I HATE standing in lines, especially if I have a handful of items.

We don't have any in Wisconsin, it might be against the law in this regressively progressive state.

I will do whatever it takes to not stand in a line.....I don't even care if it takes me longer to do it myself, at least I'm doing something, and not just standing in line. I HATE standing in lines!

And Ann - it completely ticks me off when someone has a cart full of groceries in the 15 items or less lane - I always want to ask them if they know how to read and count!:D

ChefBeckyD said:
I will do whatever it takes to not stand in a line.....I don't even care if it takes me longer to do it myself, at least I'm doing something, and not just standing in line. I HATE standing in lines!

And Ann - it completely ticks me off when someone has a cart full of groceries in the 15 items or less lane - I always want to ask them if they know how to read and count!:D

Okay -- had to share ... found it way too funny ... was in the express lane (8 or less) today with a couple things, and there was a gal in front of me with a dozen eggs, a bag of oranges, and a bag of milk (the one gallon bag that has 3 smaller bags inside) -- the checkout clerk told her she had too many items for that lane because there were 12 eggs, 5 oranges, and 3 bags in the milk!!!! Talk about moronic!!!!!!

ChefBeckyD said:

They really should bring back pillories for people like that. And for people who empty the car ashtray on the parking lot, next to their open car door.

Are you all trying to get my heart rate up? Just thinking about the time I waste at the grocery store in line is starting to make my blood boil.
Let's see how far we can reach around the groceries that I've placed on the counter in a certain, baggable order to get something way over there because we think it would fit nicely in this little spot right on top of my bananas. Oh, and please, don't forget to put all the lite boxes in one bag and all the jars and cans in their very own bag, stacked on top of each other. One more thing, oh forget it. I just read the attitude thread.

karaboo2 said:
Okay -- had to share ... found it way too funny ... was in the express lane (8 or less) today with a couple things, and there was a gal in front of me with a dozen eggs, a bag of oranges, and a bag of milk (the one gallon bag that has 3 smaller bags inside) -- the checkout clerk told her she had too many items for that lane because there were 12 eggs, 5 oranges, and 3 bags in the milk!!!! Talk about moronic!!!!!!

At least he knew how many eggs were in a dozen! LOL... I got a dozen donuts at the store once, a while ago now and told the kid there were a dozen inside... he asks, seriously "how many is that?"... I grumbled the answer to him. My dad told me I shoulda told him 10 and gotten a discount based on his stupidity. LOL..

I do get annoyed with folks who get 20 cans of cat food and go through the express lane claiming "it's all cat food"... I'd count that as items though... even if they're all the same flavors our cashiers still scan each... individual... item.. LOL

JAE said:
Are you all trying to get my heart rate up? Just thinking about the time I waste at the grocery store in line is starting to make my blood boil.
Let's see how far we can reach around the groceries that I've placed on the counter in a certain, baggable order to get something way over there because we think it would fit nicely in this little spot right on top of my bananas. Oh, and please, don't forget to put all the lite boxes in one bag and all the jars and cans in their very own bag, stacked on top of each other. One more thing, oh forget it. I just read the attitude thread.

LOL... this is my incentive for taking my cloth bags in and doing the bagging myself, which I don't mind doing at all. Then I know where all the cold stuff ends up at least. You hand them cloth bags and they treat 'em like the plastic... one or two things in each bag :rolleyes: I actually get better service if I go in all chipper and say something like "hi! yes I did find everything I needed and today's your lucky day... put those items behind you and I'LL bag 'em for you"... then they perk up, they stand up straight and sometimes I don't even have to empty my cart, they do that for me too. :cool:

The_Kitchen_Guy said:

Kinda like it's against the law to pump your own gas in NJ, eh?

I'd rather stand in line than wrestle with those inane check out thingies. Ugh... standing in line allows me the chance to catch up on who's having an alien baby, what's going to happen next with my soap opera and allow me to put things on the conveyor belt that help me bag my stuff. Plus, I like to play the "guess which line will go faster" game with myself... I know, it's a weird little world I inhabit sometimes. LOL

lkprescott said:
LOL... this is my incentive for taking my cloth bags in and doing the bagging myself, which I don't mind doing at all. Then I know where all the cold stuff ends up at least. You hand them cloth bags and they treat 'em like the plastic... one or two things in each bag :rolleyes: I actually get better service if I go in all chipper and say something like "hi! yes I did find everything I needed and today's your lucky day... put those items behind you and I'LL bag 'em for you"... then they perk up, they stand up straight and sometimes I don't even have to empty my cart, they do that for me too. :cool:

Wow - I'm fortunate then! I have one particular checker who's line I always try to get in - she is awesome! She takes my bags (these new ones from Meijers really are great - they have side pockets so things don't tip, and flat bottoms....really nice!) and attaches them to her plastic bag holder, and packs each one carefully. Things like eggs, she leaves until the very end, and then asks if I want them on the top of a bag, in a plastic bag, or if I just want to carry them. She also makes sure all of my refrigerated/frozen stuff gets packed together - love that! Then, I don't have to dig through every bag when I get home to find the stuff that needs to be put away first.

I LOVE self check. So much faster and quicker and my items get bagged correctly. I like to put items down the belt that go together, meats, frozen, chips, boxes, etc. That way when I get home, certain bags go by the fridge to get unloaded and other bags go by the pantry area. I am that person with a cart full of stuff going through self check but I can do it pretty quickly. I hate standing in regular lines and then the cashier cannot figure something out for what ever reason.

lkprescott said:
Kinda like it's against the law to pump your own gas in NJ, eh?

I'd rather stand in line than wrestle with those inane check out thingies. Ugh... standing in line allows me the chance to catch up on who's having an alien baby, what's going to happen next with my soap opera and allow me to put things on the conveyor belt that help me bag my stuff. Plus, I like to play the "guess which line will go faster" game with myself... I know, it's a weird little world I inhabit sometimes. LOL
I got into a small tussle with a guy in NJ at one of those gigundo gas stations with about 50 pumps. I pulled up in Sonja, my '29 Ford and said I'd pump the gas. He told me no, it was against NJ law. So I stood back and watched, waiting for the inevitable. The guy had no idea where the filler is located in a Model A. The best he could do was try to "open" the chrome step, for the rumble seat, on the right rear fender. It was quite amusing, actually.

When he finally got over his little snit of self-importance because he couldn't figure out where the filler was, and asked me where it was, I told him I didn't allow anyone else to put gas in the car because I don't like someone spilling gas on the paint. I don't think he was too happy about it, and was happy to see me leave, but too bad.

:D

In addition to bagging the groceries, how about coming home with me and putting them away. Now THAT I would buy (depends on what he looks like though)!!!!!

Now, there's an entire Harlequin bodice-ripper novel right there, just waiting to be written.

"No," she said, reaching for his hand as Drew pulled the olive oil out of the sack and headed for the cupboard. "We'll need that in another room."*snort!*

That should be Olive Oyl and Popeye.Oh, K-Y?

Quit changing your Av every 5 minutes! It's unnerving.

Why, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Related to Microsoft Announces Automated Grocery Carts

1. What is the joint development between Microsoft and MediaCart for a high tech grocery cart?

The joint development between Microsoft and MediaCart is a new high tech grocery cart that will revolutionize the shopping experience. It will scan your choices as you put them in the cart and automatically check you out when you leave the store.

2. Do I need a frequent shopper card to use the automated grocery cart?

Yes, in order to use the automated grocery cart, you will need a frequent shopper card. This card will track your purchases and allow for customized advertising based on your buying habits.

3. Will I be bombarded with product ads while using the automated grocery cart?

Yes, as you enter each aisle, you may be bombarded with product ads that are customized to you based on what is in that aisle and your buying habits. This is one of the features of the high tech grocery cart.

4. Is this joint development between Microsoft and MediaCart a joke?

No, this is not a joke. Microsoft and MediaCart have officially announced their partnership and plans for a high tech grocery cart. You can read more about it on their websites.

5. Can we use barcodes for our customers in conjunction with the automated grocery cart?

It is possible to use barcodes for your customers in conjunction with the automated grocery cart. However, this would require further development and integration with the current system. Consult with your company's IT department to explore this possibility.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Jennie4PC
  • kcjodih
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • rbvernon
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies