• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creative Halloween Marketing: Is Attaching Business Cards to Candy Bags Tacky?

In summary, the idea is to put candy in bags and attach a business card, and hand out to tricker-treaters. Some people think it's tacky, but others think it's a great way to get people's attention.
ChefBeckyD said:
I used to worry about being pushy or tacky, or something like that. I started out wearing a button on my lapel that said The Pampered Chef. I started getting many comments just from that. Even got a booking that turned into more bookings, that turned into more bookings.......Then I went to my first conference and bought a PC shirt. Started wearing that.......then I got the PC Catalog Tote......started carrying that. I've never had one negative comment (except the one from another DS consultant......who was sort of snarky about it - but she has since quit selling.....ran out of bookings.:rolleyes: ) I think I have found my comfort level. I will never be someone who talks to EVERYONE I meet about PC - don't even want to be that person. But I do like wearing PC clothing etc....and letting that be a conversation starter. I get questions frequently when I am out and about - and sometimes those conversations lead to bookings or orders. When people ask, I love talking about what I do! I don't advertise any other way - I am my only medium for advertising.....so it's important for me to advertise when I can ~ and for me, what I do works great.:thumbup:

That sounds like something like what I'll end up striving for. Teasers to have folks ask... I'm also encouraging myself to get out more... taking a Curves 3 week promo thingy so that will also give me new faces to work with, so to speak.

I am very curious for those who did advertise during trick or treat to report your results...if you got any bookings, orders, etc.

Nothing to report yet:) We had a smaller turnout than I expected. We did have a group of teenage boys arrive (after I had turned out the lights). They double-rang my doorbell -- I teased them that since they had woken up my kids, they could do me a favour by giving their moms copies of my mini catalog. They were very apologetic about waking the kids, and seemed excited to give the books to their moms.
I don't think any parents minded me giving their kids the catalogs & coupon. We live on a brand new street, so it was a chance to let people on nearby streets know that PC is in their neighbourhood. If they think it's tacky, I can live with that. I'm pretty sure that if they are PC fans, they'll be pleased to find a consultant, as well as to get the new Holiday mini & a coupon.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained:)

Speaking of getting the word out in a neighborhood. I've had Avon and MK catalogs left on my mailbox flag a few times in the 8 years I've lived here. What's everyone's thoughts on that... leaving mini-catalogs on doorknobs or mailbox flags. Is it worth the time? Reason I ask is having one of those catalogs appear for me never led me to want to call the consultant so I'm wondering if it's just a waste of catalogs...

ChefBeckyD said:
I used to worry about being pushy or tacky, or something like that. I started out wearing a button on my lapel that said The Pampered Chef. I started getting many comments just from that. Even got a booking that turned into more bookings, that turned into more bookings.......Then I went to my first conference and bought a PC shirt. Started wearing that.......then I got the PC Catalog Tote......started carrying that. I've never had one negative comment (except the one from another DS consultant......who was sort of snarky about it - but she has since quit selling.....ran out of bookings.:rolleyes: ) I think I have found my comfort level. I will never be someone who talks to EVERYONE I meet about PC - don't even want to be that person. But I do like wearing PC clothing etc....and letting that be a conversation starter. I get questions frequently when I am out and about - and sometimes those conversations lead to bookings or orders. When people ask, I love talking about what I do! I don't advertise any other way - I am my only medium for advertising.....so it's important for me to advertise when I can ~ and for me, what I do works great.:thumbup:

We are very much alike! Sometimes my friends tell me "Aren't you going to tell her about PC?!" when we see someone that doesn't know. I then "have" to talk a little about it because it was brought up, but I think there's a time and place for it. I don't want to be the one people avoid because I'm always talking about PC! :) I like to think I get a lot of referrals because of that. I'm not pushy... but look out! At my shows I let it rip! LOL I also like wearing the PC clothing and carrying my PC tote at times along with a smaller purse. Someone that loves PC may notice and inquire. I have no problem striking up conversations with people and being friendly, sometimes that prompts them to ask about it.

lkprescott said:
Speaking of getting the word out in a neighborhood. I've had Avon and MK catalogs left on my mailbox flag a few times in the 8 years I've lived here. What's everyone's thoughts on that... leaving mini-catalogs on doorknobs or mailbox flags. Is it worth the time?

Reason I ask is having one of those catalogs appear for me never led me to want to call the consultant so I'm wondering if it's just a waste of catalogs...
Good Question! I had a show in a very very (may I say very again) nice neighborhood (that was my highest show ever) and I was joking with my husband that most of the people around that area are newer home owners and that I should go drop off catalogs there! :) This was a while back and I never did it, but it would be nice to know if doing something like that would be worth it. I also don't remember calling on something left at my door or mailbox. Do on to others?? :)

When I first moved in I did get a visit from the local 'welcome wagon'. I should look her up and see if she's still the welcome wagon lady and see if I can add my name to the list of local services. Only thing is... again, I got the welcome packet but never used it for contacting anyone... then again, I wasn't new to the area, per se... I'd gone to school in this area and buying the house only made me a new homeowner, not new to the area. It may be helpful for truly new neighbors and man, are there new houses going up faster than weeds...

chefsteph07 said:
I am very curious for those who did advertise during trick or treat to report your results...if you got any bookings, orders, etc.

I imagine that most won't reap the fruits of their labor for a while, but the advertising sure does get their name out there and plant that seed in the minds of prospective customers on down the road. Even when I do a live cooking show, some of the guests show no interest in hosting whatsoever and then they come to me weeks or even months later asking about doing their own show.

One quick story I have to share: I was so frustrated at one show, actually my first show I did in my home town. A gal came as a visitor which meant I automatically gave a gift to the lady who invited her. She ate all the food and I believe even seconds (I served dinner and dessert at this show), then she won the BEST door prize I had that night (mini measure-all cup), then she critiqued me making sure I was saying the same thing as her previous consultant (thankfully I did), she talked about how she always did yearly shows in her home that had tremendous sales, and then she left without buying a single thing, booking a show, or even talking to me. I wanted to cry after everyone left--I felt like a failure that night and although others were very excited about my new business and booked shows immediately and bought product, all I could think about was this one woman that I had just put a lot of money into and who obviously wasn't pleased with my performance.

A couple months later she came to another of my shows, was extremely friendly, talked like we were old buds, and booked her "yearly show" with me. Just last week she was invited to yet another of my shows and she wanted to talk with me about her show date again (she's having a baby this month and STILL wants to do a show just a month after the baby is born). I tell ya what, I learned right off the bat to never judge a book by it's cover and that it's not over until the fat lady sings. ;)

lkprescott said:
Speaking of getting the word out in a neighborhood. I've had Avon and MK catalogs left on my mailbox flag a few times in the 8 years I've lived here. What's everyone's thoughts on that... leaving mini-catalogs on doorknobs or mailbox flags. Is it worth the time?

I guess it depends on where you live, but in my small town I've never liked getting those and they go right in the trash. It felt impersonal in a place where everyone pretty much knows everyone. Now, a hand-written note addressed to me and attached to the front of the catalog is sure to get my attention (like a sticky or something). Something like: "Dear Jane Doe, I'm sorry I missed you today. I'd love to get together to discuss getting you some free products. If you're not interested in hosting a show, I completely understand. I would still like to offer you 10% off on any item this month. I attached a page with our current specials, as well. I hope to hear from you soon." If I see my name hand-written (and spelled correctly :rolleyes:) I'm quite interested and there's no pressure to host so I'm more likely to see what I might want to use my 10% off on. But again, that's just me.

lkprescott said:
When I first moved in I did get a visit from the local 'welcome wagon'. I should look her up and see if she's still the welcome wagon lady and see if I can add my name to the list of local services. Only thing is... again, I got the welcome packet but never used it for contacting anyone... then again, I wasn't new to the area, per se... I'd gone to school in this area and buying the house only made me a new homeowner, not new to the area.

It may be helpful for truly new neighbors and man, are there new houses going up faster than weeds...

I'm feeling motivated to put my money where my mouth is and give it a shot! There have to be some PC lovers there!! You look up that welcome wagon lady too. Does a welcome wagon lady have to live in the area? LOL

Addie4TLC said:
I'm feeling motivated to put my money where my mouth is and give it a shot! There have to be some PC lovers there!! You look up that welcome wagon lady too. Does a welcome wagon lady have to live in the area? LOL

LOL... I have to admit I didn't even KNOW there were still welcome wagons out and about. *giggle* Course this was 8 years ago... so perhaps they've done away with it. Okay... I'll try to find her info and hopefully get the motivation to call her.

Results!!!Tacky or not, I made up little packets to hand out to the moms when trick or treaters came to the door. It consisted of a mini catalog with my name and phone number if they were interested in a full catalog, the "be a smartie, book a party" Halloween postcard (found here) and a small box of smarties, and my business card with coupon for free gift with purchase valid the month of November only. I didn't really expect anything to come of it, just wanted to get my name out as I'm only in my 2nd month as a consultant. I handed out 19 packets. My phone rang at 9pm ... on of the moms wanted the full catalog...AND info on becoming a consultant!!!
If people find my packet tacky, they can eat the candy and throw out the catalog, but if I hadn't tried this I'd have missed this recruiting lead.
I'm interested to hear everyone else's results and experiences!

Sherry Leigh said:
Tacky or not, I made up little packets to hand out to the moms when trick or treaters came to the door. It consisted of a mini catalog with my name and phone number if they were interested in a full catalog, the "be a smartie, book a party" Halloween postcard (found here) and a small box of smarties, and my business card with coupon for free gift with purchase valid the month of November only. I didn't really expect anything to come of it, just wanted to get my name out as I'm only in my 2nd month as a consultant. I handed out 19 packets. My phone rang at 9pm ... on of the moms wanted the full catalog...AND info on becoming a consultant!!!
If people find my packet tacky, they can eat the candy and throw out the catalog, but if I hadn't tried this I'd have missed this recruiting lead.

That's awesome Sherry!

Sherry Leigh said:
Tacky or not, I made up little packets to hand out to the moms when trick or treaters came to the door. It consisted of a mini catalog with my name and phone number if they were interested in a full catalog, the "be a smartie, book a party" Halloween postcard (found here) and a small box of smarties, and my business card with coupon for free gift with purchase valid the month of November only. I didn't really expect anything to come of it, just wanted to get my name out as I'm only in my 2nd month as a consultant. I handed out 19 packets. My phone rang at 9pm ... on of the moms wanted the full catalog...AND info on becoming a consultant!!!

That is awesome! Glad to hear it led to great things for you! Okay... rethinking this, course too late this year...

Sherry Leigh said:

I completely agree. You are just providing them the information, it's their decision to engage in it, call you, book a party, order, etc.

It's the same thing as our recruiting: inform & invite. IF you don't tell anyone about your business (in any way) you won't have much business. IMHO

Thank goodness we can each build and manage our business the way WE want to. :D

Good stuff
Sherry Leigh said:

I totally agree! I give out the good stuff!! I heard so many kids say, "Wow these are great gift bags with good candy, thank you!!" If I am going to give the good stuff, I might as well give some information on how I am able to buy the good stuff! With my commission check!! LOL
And yes they can always throw (perferably give) my business card away and keep the good stuff!

Debbie :D

One of these days when I'm organized or become a totally different person (one who is organized) I will try something like this!! Great results Sherry! Congratulations!!

I did have my van, which is plastered w/PC, in the drive-way. Last year, I was stamping mini-cats while handing out candy and handed out several mini-cats, but didn't get any calls. I decided I would rather trick or treat with my daughter than obsess about getting leads. My D-SIL stayed behind and handed out our candy. I asked her if anyone asked about the PC. She said no. Oh well. If I missed out on something, I just did that's all!

I handed out about 50+ "Mummy" cards and attatched an invite to the dads for a Mens Only Show at the end of the month. I didn't want them to feel left out. I put someting on there about getting a wish list for the women in their life and getting their shopping done early this year. I invited them to shop on-line or come to the party and I could help them put a beautiful gift together.

I gave them out at both my kids schools and to the houses that we stopped at while trick or treating and to other moms/dads out with their kids. One of the guys I handed it to said, "You got me at the school, but these are great. I'll take this one too, and take it to work with me." Someone else said they needed a pizza cutter and would be calling me. I can't wait to see what happens.

Please keep us informed as to how your Men's Show goes, Niki!! That sounds like a wonderful idea. I wonder if they will feel more inclined to go since it will be only men and they know that right up front?

<h2>1. Is attaching business cards to candy bags a common marketing tactic during Halloween?</h2><p>Yes, attaching business cards to candy bags is a popular marketing tactic during Halloween. It allows businesses to reach a large number of potential customers in a fun and creative way.</p><h2>2. Will attaching business cards to candy bags make my business stand out during Halloween?</h2><p>Yes, attaching business cards to candy bags can make your business stand out during Halloween. It adds a personalized touch to your marketing efforts and can help your business be remembered by potential customers.</p><h2>3. Is it appropriate to attach business cards to candy bags meant for trick-or-treaters?</h2><p>As long as the business cards are appropriate for all ages, it is generally considered acceptable to attach them to candy bags meant for trick-or-treaters. However, it is always a good idea to double check with local regulations and guidelines.</p><h2>4. Will parents actually notice and read the business cards attached to the candy bags?</h2><p>It is likely that parents will notice and read the business cards attached to the candy bags. They will most likely be sorting through their children's candy and will come across the business card. This can potentially lead to future business for your company.</p><h2>5. Is attaching business cards to candy bags considered tacky or unprofessional?</h2><p>This can be a subjective question and may depend on the individual's personal opinion. However, as long as the business cards are tastefully designed and the messaging is appropriate, it is unlikely that it would be considered tacky or unprofessional. It is always a good idea to get feedback from others before implementing this type of marketing tactic.</p>

1. Is attaching business cards to candy bags a common marketing tactic during Halloween?

Yes, attaching business cards to candy bags is a popular marketing tactic during Halloween. It allows businesses to reach a large number of potential customers in a fun and creative way.

2. Will attaching business cards to candy bags make my business stand out during Halloween?

Yes, attaching business cards to candy bags can make your business stand out during Halloween. It adds a personalized touch to your marketing efforts and can help your business be remembered by potential customers.

3. Is it appropriate to attach business cards to candy bags meant for trick-or-treaters?

As long as the business cards are appropriate for all ages, it is generally considered acceptable to attach them to candy bags meant for trick-or-treaters. However, it is always a good idea to double check with local regulations and guidelines.

4. Will parents actually notice and read the business cards attached to the candy bags?

It is likely that parents will notice and read the business cards attached to the candy bags. They will most likely be sorting through their children's candy and will come across the business card. This can potentially lead to future business for your company.

5. Is attaching business cards to candy bags considered tacky or unprofessional?

This can be a subjective question and may depend on the individual's personal opinion. However, as long as the business cards are tastefully designed and the messaging is appropriate, it is unlikely that it would be considered tacky or unprofessional. It is always a good idea to get feedback from others before implementing this type of marketing tactic.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Pampered_Princess
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
kristyjab
  • Pedey
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • mylilchunkymonkey