• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Creating Homemade Italian Seasoned Sandwiches

In summary, the conversation is about making homemade bread crumbs with leftover bread. Different methods are suggested, such as using a food processor, baking the bread first, or using a meat tenderizer. Seasonings are also discussed, with suggestions of using Italian seasonings or adding fresh herbs. Some people save the crusts or edges of bread for making crumbs, while others toast the bread in butter before grinding it. Overall, the consensus is to make plain bread crumbs and add seasonings later when using them in recipes.
jrstephens
How do you make them? I am making sandwiches for an Easter Egg hunt this weekend and I am using cookie cutter to shape them in crosses and bunnies. I was thinking of make bread crumbs with all the left over trimmings.

How do you make yours? What seasonings do you use? I like the Italian ones in the store. I have never made them at home.

Any words of wisdom....

I would just make them plain for now (Food Chopper or Deluxe Cheese Grater will work after the bread is stale) and then later you can season them as you use them.

Another quick way is to put the stale bread into a food processor and pulse till crumbled. (Sorry, that's not a PC thing!)

To dry your bread out quickly, you can put it on a stone and into a low heat oven (250?) Or you can leave it sitting out overnight!

BTW, I agree with Deb about leaving them plain...then you can add seasonings when you are using them depending on the recipe!

For bread crumbs in a pinch I just toss a couple pieces of bread in my toaster. then let them cool, put in DCG with the small barrel and viola..... bread crumbs.

I agree with both add your seasonings after.

I also keep the edges off sandwiches from the cut n seal for bread crumbs. I toss them in a bag in the freezer.

HTH
:D

I am rather frugal. I save the ends of the bread that no one wants to eat. And I compile them in my freezer until I have enough for a 'batch'. I cut them into cubes and throw them on a pan with sides. Put your oven at 200 degrees and bake them for about an hour. Stir them and see if they are hard as a rock. If not put them back in for another 20 minutes or so. Then grind them up when they are cool. I never run out!

I make my own too but have never baked them on a stone first... I just always zip them through the blender ... hmmmm... do you like them in your recipes better when they are toasted/baked? I'll have to try that!

Thanks everybody! I will be making some this weekend after I make my sandwiches tomorrow.

I do it this way so I know they will store safely for me. I worked in a restaurant that made everything from scratch and this is how they did it. I also make a Bread and Butter Bread Pudding with different citrus zest. I 'crouton' the bread by cubing it and putting it on a tray of melted butter. You just toss it occasionally in the butter until it is crisp. Very yummy!

We save all our crusts. Generally we toss them in a designated "crumb" bowl and when they are good and dry, I just toss them in the food processor. I then store them in the freezer. I usually add some seasoning, parsley, etc and then I have "seasoned" bread crumbs.

I am too cheap to throw anything away!

I make them all the time , you need to let the bread dry out on a Bar pan in the oven on low till it is a bit hard. if you have a food prosseser that will wok the best add a few cloves of garlic some Italian seasoning and some fresh basil or pasley , them just chop up till nice and small
They really smell great and you can put them in the freezer too

Has anyone ever crushed them with the PC meat tenderizer thing?

I have a food processer but I hate dragging that thing out.

You could use the meat tenderizer, or a rolling pin. Place bread in a ziplock bag, seal and crush away.

What ingredients do I need to make homemade Italian seasoned sandwiches?

To make homemade Italian seasoned sandwiches, you will need bread or rolls, Italian deli meats such as salami, prosciutto, and mortadella, sliced cheese, vegetables like tomatoes and lettuce, and Italian seasoning blend. You can also add condiments like mayonnaise, mustard, and Italian dressing.

Can I use any type of bread to make these sandwiches?

Yes, you can use any type of bread or rolls to make homemade Italian seasoned sandwiches. Traditional Italian bread or hoagie rolls work well, but you can also use sliced bread, bagels, or even tortillas for a wrap-style sandwich.

How do I assemble the sandwiches?

To assemble the sandwiches, start by spreading condiments on one or both slices of bread. Then, add the deli meats, cheese, and vegetables in layers. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning blend on top of the vegetables for added flavor. Finally, top with the other slice of bread and press down gently to secure the sandwich.

Can I make these sandwiches ahead of time?

Yes, you can make these sandwiches ahead of time. However, it is recommended to assemble them right before serving to prevent the bread from becoming soggy. If you need to make them ahead of time, you can wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil and store them in the refrigerator.

Are there any variations to this recipe?

Yes, there are many variations to this recipe. You can use different types of deli meats, cheeses, and vegetables to create your own unique sandwich. You can also add other ingredients like olives, roasted red peppers, or avocado to add more flavor and texture. You can also try using different types of bread, such as ciabatta or focaccia, for a different twist on the sandwich.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kam
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
BadGirl
Replies