1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Okay, so I had a huge party this weekend (surprise party for my

1. ChefPaulaB

ChefPaulaB Veteran Member

Okay, so I had a huge party this weekend (surprise party for my sister) and I have a lot of sliced Italian bread left over from the Oil Dipping things, they didn't go over real well. I know that I've heard people talking about making homemade croutons and bread crumbs... I need directions for this as I've never done it and I know it might seem simple but I need recipes for everything with directions. Also, how long do they last? Can you freeze the croutons or what, how do you store them to keep them for longer? And same with the bread crumbs. I know that I have the store bought bread crumbs in the little round can thing that sit in my cupboard until I need them, but not sure if real bread crumbs would last that long...
    Also, I have a ton of lemons and limes (I used them for decorations) and would love to use them up rather than let them rot. Any ideas or suggestions for that. TIA!!!

Apr 20, 2009
  2. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Re: Leftovers

With the bread, I would make a refrigerator french toast. You can make it up and bake it in the morning. If you want directions, let me know.

With the lemons, you can juice them and freeze the juice.

3. ChefPaulaB

would love the recipe, thanks. Can you freeze lime juice too?

Apr 20, 2009
  4. Teresa Lynn

Teresa Lynn Legacy Member Gold Member

pictures??? was she surprised

I only make homemade croutons
    dump the cubes in a gallon baggie, drizzle with olive oil (I don't measure you can also use melted butter) shake seasonings over the cubes shake and bake at 375 until crunchy

for seasonings i usually use a little garlic salt, some onion powder & Italian seasoning
    You can also add parmesan or ranch dressing mix
    use your imagination

Do you have a food saver? they should keep well for at least 2 weeks

lemons.... make a pie or lemon cake or lemon bars

you could also make bread pudding or stuffing

Apr 20, 2009
  5. BlessedWifeMommy

BlessedWifeMommy Veteran Member

Yes you can freeze lime juice. Bpth lemon and lime juice is sticky and I usually store it in plastic storage containers instead of say sandwich bags.

Here is how I make the French Toast.

Cube the bread into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes. Divide the cubes, pack approx. 2/3 of them into a Rectangle Baker so they are approx 1/2 way up the side and covering the bottom. At this point you can add dollops of cream cheese if you like. Mix 6-8 eggs (depending on the size) and a cup of milk in a large batter bowl, mix in 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon Plus blend. Add add the reserved cubes into the egg mixture and pour over the bottom layer (this step makes sure the top layer gets some egg mixture). At this point you can bake it, or refrigerate it and cook it in the morning.

Note, I'm the kind of cook that doesn't measure, so I go by look. If it doesn't look full enough, I've beat a few more eggs and milk up to add to the top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven and it is done after it puffs up and looks set. At least 20 minutes (okay I can't remember how long it took last time) but check it after 20 minutes.

6. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

I freeze my lemon and lime juice in ice cube trays. When they are frozen, pop them out and put them in labeled freezer bags. If you use a regular sized ice cube tray, each cube will be about 2 Tbls. Then, when you need lemon or lime juice, you just pull out as many cubes as you need!

I also freeze bread crumbs and croutons in labeled freezer bags.

Apr 20, 2009
  7. ChefPaulaB

The party was awesome! She was very surprised, she almost hyperventilated! It was a huge success! The house looked awesome, I didn't get a chance to go around and take pictures before everyone came, the first guest showed up an hour and half early and the next 2 (that I had never even met before) showed up shortly after that, I hadn't even changed my clothes or did my hair and make up yet. Needless to say, I was a little frazzled... There are lots of pictures of people and one of the cake and the sign that I made, but none of the decorations... but it looked awesome, I was very happy with how everything turned out.

Apr 20, 2009
  8. BadGirl

BadGirl Member Gold Member

Two words fer ya:

Bread Pudding

Yep, cube up some of the bread, toss it on a lg bar pan, toast it in the oven till dry but not browned, and then mix up some egg/milkspices and pour it over the dried bread cubes. Cook as usual.

Delish.

I absolutely love the PC version of bread puddingm which I think is in "All the Best". It uses dried bagels, but you can substitute french/italian bread cubes for the bagels. It's amazing. trust me. :blimpo:

Apr 20, 2009
Have something to add?