• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking on a Stove-Eye: Tips for 1st-Timer

In summary, people have made the recipe for shows and meetings with modifications such as doubling the cream cheese, adding chicken, using a variety of vegetables, and using Roma tomatoes in place of sun-dried tomatoes. They recommend prepping some ingredients beforehand to save time, as well as boiling the water for the pasta before guests arrive. There are also suggestions for using tools as booking tools.
tabnat80
Gold Member
Hey. I'm making this tomorrow night for the 1st time as an interactive show. I would appreciate any tips you guys have for me. I need all I can get. I'm going to be cooking on a portable stove-eye for the 1st time too. TIA

Great recipe...I had to double this for my first show/open house party. So, I added some extra cream cheese and I am glad I did. Everyone raved about this recipe. I made this right before my show, so people were coming in while I was still cooking it. It helped for me to have all the vegetables cut up before hand, but I guess it depends on what kind of show you are doing. I want to make it and add fresh spinach and grilled chicken instead of the brocoli and carrots that it calls for. The sundried tomatoes really make this dish! It is so nice to do it all in one pot. A future host was at the party and requested this dish for her show!

Enjoy!

I did this at an interactive show Sunday, and there are a few things I will have prepped for next time. Drain the tomatoes into a bowl (so you can still get some of the oil), and blot them off beforehand. I didn't do this, so that I could show the jar opener, but you can still talk about that. It took too much time to dry off the tomatoes in the middle of the show.I used 3 carrots in it, and next time, I'll have 2 already peeled. Use the Ultimate Mandoline to slice the carrots (why not show a $60 tool?). I used the crinkle blade and it worked fine.After the noodles are done, add the cream cheese, let it melt, and then add the vegetables. I added them at the same time at another show, and the cream cheese just clumped up in the broccoli.

I added extra cream cheese also! This is a very good recipe.

I double the cream cheese and used the Moroccan Rub variation.
Excellent.

This is such a yummy recipe! I couldn't find sun-dried tomatoes anywhere here; so just the cherry tomatoes are good too.

We did this for a meeting and realized you want the water boiling for the pasta before the guests get there. So that the pasta is already cooking when they arrive. It eats up to much time to wait for all that.
We also talked about using the covered baker or the salad chopper as a booking tool. We thought it would be good to make some chicken in the baker and chop it up with the salad choppers. Then you could add it to the recipe. It is a great interactive recipe, have fun!

Does anyone have the recipe typed up? I am at work right now and I want to make it for dinner tonight! Thanks!

I made this for my DH and myself and loved it. Next time I would add chicken to it (DH is a meat/potatoes kind of guy). Does make a lot of food and I served it in the dots large round bowl ... so cute!!!

Colleen-
It is on Consultant's Corner. Go to the recipe section and under S/S 2008 Season's Best. You can even email the recipe to yourself and then print it out if you want.

climbercanoe3 said:
We did this for a meeting and realized you want the water boiling for the pasta before the guests get there. So that the pasta is already cooking when they arrive. It eats up to much time to wait for all that.
We also talked about using the covered baker or the salad chopper as a booking tool. We thought it would be good to make some chicken in the baker and chop it up with the salad choppers. Then you could add it to the recipe.

It is a great interactive recipe, have fun!
The pasta cooks in the broth in this recipe. I haven't had a problem with completing it in time doing the entire thing for a show. If you turn the heat up to almost high and put the lid on, the broth comes to a boil quickly, and while the pasta is cooking, you and your guests can be cutting up the vegetables.

Ok thanks Ann. We had it set up in three stations. I was inthe third station. We got to cut up the cream cheese, add the cut up vegetables (station 2) add the salt and pepper and add the cream cheese. So it seemed a long wait because we only had to cut up the cream cheese. So the problem wasn't the pasta cooking it was how the stations were divided. That is probably why we thought it would make sense to add chicken and chop it, we needed more jobs to do at our station.
Thanks for clarifying.

I just re-read my post, and I'm sorry if I sounded a little short. I could definitely see where stations with specific tasks could short-change some of the participants. I found, after making this at 2 shows, that it's a good one for "group" participation. At both shows, the person who was cutting the broccoli commented on the knife (I gave them the Chef's Knife), and told a friend to come up and try it herself. That got tools into more hands. :) (And at the first of the 2 shows, I sold 3 of the large pieces of forged cutlery.)

I made this with mini penne pasta, vegetable broth and double the cream cheese (and I didn't use low-fat), for a spring kick off meeting. Another consultant made it by the book and everyone was raving about mine. I noticed mine was a little soupy at first, but I found that if you cook it longer than recommended it thickens up!

I doubled the cream cheese and used Roma tomatoes b/c host couldn't find sundried. Just cut them open and squeeze the seeds and juice out before you cut them. It was great and everyone loved it even without the sundried though!

I certainly didn't think you were being short. I can take constructive criticism, that is how I will learn. If you said hey dumb*ss that is not true, well maybe you would have a fight on your hands:DThat is great about the knives being a good thing. I think they sell themselves by their description. I also think there are always a few that need to touch to really believe they are worth it.

I love this dish with chicken and mushrooms. Cook the chicken in either the saute pan or the grill pan and cut the mushrooms with the egg slicer plus. I used sundried tomatoes that weren't in oil and they worked fine but the tomatoes absolutely make the recipe!

I did add chicken when I made it, felt more of a main dish than a side dish!

In case anyone's looking for a meatless demo for Lenten Fridays (although there are only a couple left), you can make this with vegetable broth and it's still fantastic! One of my shows had a vegetarian in attendance, so I made it that way so she could still sample it.I'm actually making this for dinner, with chicken and mushrooms.

climbercanoe3 said:
Colleen-
It is on Consultant's Corner. Go to the recipe section and under S/S 2008 Season's Best. You can even email the recipe to yourself and then print it out if you want.

Yes, I know but I am at my day job(snicker) That's ok I can get it when I am home! Thanks

We loved this recipe when we tried it a couple weeks ago. My only critic was on myself that I should have my choppin done before I get my pasta in the pot because I am a pasta snob and it got too mushy for my liking so from now on I will prep before hand. At a show with stations would be fine because all parts would get done fast. ;) I think I'm with Ann on using the UM for the carrots and the knives with the brocolli and sun dried tomatoes.

OH and the smell is devine, when I made it at the house then went to pick up hubby from work when we came in the house it smelled just delicious!

Consultant's Corner
letscook04 said:
Yes, I know but I am at my day job(snicker) That's ok I can get it when I am home! Thanks

Just go to the pampered chef website and click on consultant's corner and sign in you can do it from anywhere. ;) Oh and Colleen I love your kitty's pic

I followed the recipe to a "T" and it came out soupy instead of creamy. Any advice for me? I thought it tasted good, but would have been much better if it would have been creamy.

Depending on how al dente you like your pasta, that will affect the final liquidity. If you don't cook it quite long enough (for firmer pasta), less liquid will cook out, and the sauce will be thinner. You can let it cook an extra minute or two uncovered after putting in the veg, to allow a little more of the broth to evaporate.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am just ready to get this show over with. My mom called and my grandmother isn't doing well. She's 89 and is back in the hospital. This time she's got the flu and ut infectoin. She's been in a nursing home rehab place for about a month trying to regain her strength from her hip surgery and hasn't been the same since her fall. I don't think she's going to make it. She's so very weak. I just want to go up there and be with her but I've got so much to do to get ready for my show. Please keep her in your prayers tonight.

purrbal said:
Just go to the pampered chef website and click on consultant's corner and sign in you can do it from anywhere. ;) Oh and Colleen I love your kitty's pic

Highjack...

Oh thank you!! My kitty is now 1 1/2 year old (about 24 lbs), that picture he was only 3 months old. ;)

Last edited:
SalliMae
letscook04 said:
Highjack...

Oh thank you!! My kitty is now 1 1/2 year old (about 24 lbs), that picture he was only 3 months old. ;)

...highjack cont...

here is our kitty who is about a month younger than your's

DSC02786.jpg

{{{{hugs}}}}
tabnat80 said:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am just ready to get this show over with. My mom called and my grandmother isn't doing well. She's 89 and is back in the hospital. This time she's got the flu and ut infectoin. She's been in a nursing home rehab place for about a month trying to regain her strength from her hip surgery and hasn't been the same since her fall. I don't think she's going to make it. She's so very weak. I just want to go up there and be with her but I've got so much to do to get ready for my show. Please keep her in your prayers tonight.

Oh I've been there sweets, keeping you in my thoughts.

The Pampered Chef ®
Creamy One-Pot Pasta
Recipe

4 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 jar (7 oz) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, undrained
3 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth (5 1/4 cups)
1 lb uncooked penne pasta
1 head broccoli (2 cups small florets)
2 medium carrots, peeled
4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil (optional)

Thinly slice garlic using Color Coated Paring Knife. Place garlic and 1 tbsp oil from sun-dried tomatoes into (8-qt.) Stockpot. Cook garlic over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until garlic is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add broth. Return to burner; increase heat to high. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in pasta; cover and simmer vigorously 8-10 minutes or until pasta is almost cooked but still firm, stirring occasionally using Mega Scraper.

Meanwhile, cut broccoli into small florets; place into Classic Batter Bowl. Cut carrots in half lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise on a bias using Santoku Knife. Drain sun-dried tomatoes; pat dry with a paper towel. Slice tomatoes into thin strips. Add carrots and tomatoes to batter bowl.

Cut cream cheese into cubes. Add vegetables, cream cheese, salt and black pepper to Stockpot. Stir until cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately in Simple Additions® Dots Large Round Bowl. If desired, top with grated fresh Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Light: Calories 410, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 65 g, Protein 15 g, Sodium 1000 mg, Fiber 5 g

Cook's Tip: For an interesting flavor twist, omit salt, black pepper, Parmesan cheese and basil. Add 1 tbsp Moroccan Rub or Greek Rub.

For a heartier version of this recipe, add grilled turkey Italian sausage or sliced grilled chicken breasts to pasta.

If desired, 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes can be substituted for the sun-dried tomatoes.

© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2001

I have to bring this dish to our cluster meeting on Monday. Any recommendations on how to keep it warm and edible?

Chef Kearns said:
The Pampered Chef ®
Creamy One-Pot Pasta
Recipe

4 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 jar (7 oz) sun-dried tomatoes in oil, undrained
3 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth (5 1/4 cups)
1 lb uncooked penne pasta
1 head broccoli (2 cups small florets)
2 medium carrots, peeled
4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Grated fresh Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil (optional)

Thinly slice garlic using Color Coated Paring Knife. Place garlic and 1 tbsp oil from sun-dried tomatoes into (8-qt.) Stockpot. Cook garlic over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until garlic is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add broth. Return to burner; increase heat to high. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in pasta; cover and simmer vigorously 8-10 minutes or until pasta is almost cooked but still firm, stirring occasionally using Mega Scraper.

Meanwhile, cut broccoli into small florets; place into Classic Batter Bowl. Cut carrots in half lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise on a bias using Santoku Knife. Drain sun-dried tomatoes; pat dry with a paper towel. Slice tomatoes into thin strips. Add carrots and tomatoes to batter bowl.

Cut cream cheese into cubes. Add vegetables, cream cheese, salt and black pepper to Stockpot. Stir until cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve immediately in Simple Additions® Dots Large Round Bowl. If desired, top with grated fresh Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil.

Yield: 6 servings

Nutrients per serving: Light: Calories 410, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Carbohydrate 65 g, Protein 15 g, Sodium 1000 mg, Fiber 5 g

Cook's Tip: For an interesting flavor twist, omit salt, black pepper, Parmesan cheese and basil. Add 1 tbsp Moroccan Rub or Greek Rub.

For a heartier version of this recipe, add grilled turkey Italian sausage or sliced grilled chicken breasts to pasta.

If desired, 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes can be substituted for the sun-dried tomatoes.

© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2001

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I can go shopping to make it!!!!

I used the greek rub substitute for this recipe and it was fantastic! Great show recipe!

purrbal said:
...highjack cont...

here is our kitty who is about a month younger than your's

DSC02786.jpg

How cute!!!!!!! WOW, I can't get over how much he look's like my cat!!! When I get home I will show you a pic.

Kitchen ShearsI could not find sundried tomatoes in oil, so I had dry ones, and the kitchen shears worked really well to cut those up. I've also used the shears on broccoli (off with their heads!)

I made this at home once and boiled the pasta too long and the broth evaporated more that it should and it was dry, so go with the recipe times.

(I also used the garlic press instead of the cutlery for the garlic and didn't notice a change in the flavor,but sold a garlic press!)

Katie

purrbal said:

...highjack cont...

purrbal here is my cat!!!

Attachments

• boots1106.JPG
    boots1106.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 375
pamperedmomto3 said:
I have to bring this dish to our cluster meeting on Monday. Any recommendations on how to keep it warm and edible?
Heat up a piece of stoneware in a 200˚ oven for a few minutes, and pour it into that. Then pop it into the insulated tote.

I made the Moroccan variation for dinner with added mushrooms and chicken. mmm...

I haven't made this yet, but would love to try this weekend. If adding chicken and mushrooms, how much of each do you think and will it take away from the creaminess making it necessary to add more cream cheese?

I didn't add any more cream cheese. Just popped in an 8-oz package of sliced fresh mushrooms and 2 grilled chicken breasts when I added the other veg.

Has anyone made this with whole wheat pasta yet??

The boxes I have seen of Penne are actually less than a pound - and I am thinking of reducing the liquid according - but I am not sure since I think(?) whole wheat pasta might cook differently - longer...?

chefann said:
I didn't add any more cream cheese. Just popped in an 8-oz package of sliced fresh mushrooms and 2 grilled chicken breasts when I added the other veg.

So just 4 oz of cream cheese plus the required veggies plus your above chicken and mushrooms, is that right? And it was still nice and creamy?

Whole Wheat Pasta
kam said:

The boxes I have seen of Penne are actually less than a pound - and I am thinking of reducing the liquid according - but I am not sure since I think(?) whole wheat pasta might cook differently - longer...?
Yes 'em, I am doing WW and I am trying to really up my fiber so I bought ww penne, it was good!

SO CUTE! {sorry to cont hi-jack}
letscook04 said:
...highjack cont...

purrbal here is my cat!!!

very cute! It's like we have two cats from the same litter but on opposite coasts. hehehe Thanks for sharing

kcjodih said:
So just 4 oz of cream cheese plus the required veggies plus your above chicken and mushrooms, is that right? And it was still nice and creamy?
That's right. I do let the cream cheese melt most of the way before I add the veggies. Otherwise, it clumps up in the broccoli.

kam said:

I just made it last night with whole wheat penne pasta, chicken and it came out REALLY good!! I used the greek rub substitute. YUMM!!! :thumbup:

I used the Julienne peeler on the carrots because I couldn't exactly figure out from the directions how to cut them! The UM is a great suggestion for shows.

Julienne Peeler
wadesgirl said:
I used the Julienne peeler on the carrots because I couldn't exactly figure out from the directions how to cut them! The UM is a great suggestion for shows.
I did the same thing when trying mine at home, I need more practice with that tool. ;)

wadesgirl said:

I just slice them as circles. I think if you were doing it as a demo maybe use the Crinkle Cutter. :)

letscook04 said:
I just slice them as circles. I think if you were doing it as a demo maybe use the Crinkle Cutter. :)
We don't use the crinkle cutter in my house... too dangerous for me, I'm a klutz!

Not sure if this applies here... but my host still had her cream cheese frozen so I set it in the saute pan while having the guests help chop up the rest of the ingredients - and it worked just like the ice cube demo!

The cream cheese defrosted in so little time and I then passed around the saute pan so they could feel how cold it was ... loved all the "oohs and ahhs" and even had 2 parties book just to get the cookware half price!

One girl told me, "I can read all the great things about the cookware, but it means nothing until I can SEE the difference first-hand" ~ and there was "no-way her skillet could do that!"

So I'm learning that some people don't want to know WHY our cookware is SO GREAT, they just want to see the magic of it! :D

letscook04 said:
I just made it last night with whole wheat penne pasta, chicken and it came out REALLY good!! I used the greek rub substitute. YUMM!!! :thumbup:
purrbal said:
Yes 'em, I am doing WW and I am trying to really up my fiber so I bought ww penne, it was good!

Did you use just one box of whole wheat penne (less than the 16 oz called for) or did you use one box plus extra from another box to make 16 oz. The whole wheat boxes of penne that my store carries is about 12-13 oz I think.

If you used the smaller box, did all the liquid get absorbed??

<h2>1. What type of cookware should I use on a stove-eye?</h2><p>It is recommended to use cookware that has a flat bottom and is made of materials that conduct heat well, such as stainless steel or cast iron. Avoid using cookware with rounded bottoms or non-stick coatings, as they may not heat evenly on a portable stove-eye.</p><h2>2. How do I control the heat on a portable stove-eye?</h2><p>Most portable stove-eyes have adjustable temperature settings, usually ranging from low to high. To control the heat, turn the knob to the desired temperature and allow the stove-eye to heat up before adding your cookware. You can also move the cookware to different areas of the stove-eye to adjust the heat as needed.</p><h2>3. Can I use a portable stove-eye with any type of cookware?</h2><p>It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions for your specific portable stove-eye, but in general, it is safe to use most types of cookware on a stove-eye. Just make sure the cookware is compatible with the heat source and is not too large for the stove-eye's cooking surface.</p><h2>4. How do I clean a portable stove-eye?</h2><p>Before cleaning, make sure the stove-eye is completely cooled down. Use a damp cloth or sponge with mild soap to wipe down the cooking surface. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals, as they may damage the stove-eye. If there are any stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to gently scrub the surface.</p><h2>5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a portable stove-eye?</h2><p>Always make sure the stove-eye is placed on a stable and heat-resistant surface. Do not leave the stove-eye unattended while it is in use. Keep flammable materials away from the stove-eye, and make sure to turn it off and unplug it when you are finished cooking. It is also important to keep the stove-eye clean to prevent any potential fire hazards.</p>

1. What type of cookware should I use on a stove-eye?

It is recommended to use cookware that has a flat bottom and is made of materials that conduct heat well, such as stainless steel or cast iron. Avoid using cookware with rounded bottoms or non-stick coatings, as they may not heat evenly on a portable stove-eye.

2. How do I control the heat on a portable stove-eye?

Most portable stove-eyes have adjustable temperature settings, usually ranging from low to high. To control the heat, turn the knob to the desired temperature and allow the stove-eye to heat up before adding your cookware. You can also move the cookware to different areas of the stove-eye to adjust the heat as needed.

3. Can I use a portable stove-eye with any type of cookware?

It is important to check the manufacturer's instructions for your specific portable stove-eye, but in general, it is safe to use most types of cookware on a stove-eye. Just make sure the cookware is compatible with the heat source and is not too large for the stove-eye's cooking surface.

4. How do I clean a portable stove-eye?

Before cleaning, make sure the stove-eye is completely cooled down. Use a damp cloth or sponge with mild soap to wipe down the cooking surface. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals, as they may damage the stove-eye. If there are any stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to gently scrub the surface.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a portable stove-eye?

Always make sure the stove-eye is placed on a stable and heat-resistant surface. Do not leave the stove-eye unattended while it is in use. Keep flammable materials away from the stove-eye, and make sure to turn it off and unplug it when you are finished cooking. It is also important to keep the stove-eye clean to prevent any potential fire hazards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• laylaleigh
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
TheChaoticCook
  • Jillmami
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Jillmami
Replies