• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Could a Heavy Snowfall Have Caused the Grocery Store Roof to Collapse?

In summary, a roof collapsed at a local grocery store this morning, injuring no one. The store was closed a few years ago and is now a Kohl's.
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
So you're walking down the aisle of your local grocery store, loading up for your next show when suddenly...

http://images.todaystmj4.com/images/roofhole.jpg

That could just ruin your whole day!

The good news is that no one was injured when the roof of the Pick 'n' Save in Brookfield collapsed this morning. We've had some pretty heavy snow the last few days...maybe I'll just go shovel off my own roof. :eek:

Here's the link http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/6183376.html from a local television news team.

Oh my gosh :eek: :eek:

I probably would have pooped my pants if I was inside when that happened!!

I can remember when I was growing up in Alaska. We were in Talkeetna, which is about half way between Anchorage and Mt. McKinley, Dad was a State Trooper and the state put 2 mobile homes up there and we had so much snow that dad was always going up on the roof, because it's flat, to shovel it off. This was in late 71 early 72, we were the first troopers there.

Leave it to channel 4 to buy the video on that one! :)

Funny - thought it'd be of the roof collapsing - someone just videotaping firefighters..

Not to change the subject..... but I will anyway. I have never heard of a store named Pick n' Save until your message.

Now remember, I work at a preschool, and I work with 12 months to 2 1/2 year olds. The words Pick n' Save mean a lot different things than a grocery store when you are talking about small children.

They 'pick' the stuff from their nose 'n save' it on their sleeves. EEEEEEWWWWWW

Gee, Tina, thanks for sharing. :p That was the first thing we all said here when Roundy's opened that chain about 25-30 years ago. It started out as a no-frills warehouse store, I never went there because everything was sold in institutional sizes. Who needs a gallon of mayonnase? It soon converted to a regular grocery store.There was an Ohio division of Roundy's that had Pick 'n' Save stores. The only one I know of anymore is in South Point.

Ah, and I grew up in Racine with Piggly Wiggly stores...people thought it was hilarious when I said that name, but now that I think about it - it is a pretty funny name for a grocery store!

Here we go again...Piggly Wiggly is considered to be the first Supermarket, at least, it was the first self-serve store.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/44/Pigglywiggly.gif/200px-Pigglywiggly.gif

genburk said:
Not to change the subject..... but I will anyway.
And you should be different from everyone else...why?

genburk said:
They 'pick' the stuff from their nose 'n save' it on their sleeves. EEEEEEWWWWWW
Lord nose, it would be easy to blow this entire thread, and we could eailly be running with it, but let snot.

My favorite bluegrass song is called, "If My Nose Was Running Money Honey, I'd Blow It All On You."

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Lord nose, it would be easy to blow this entire thread, and we could eailly be running with it, but let snot.

I admit, I can't beat that one. LOL!

MAN, I hate it when that happens!

On another note, I haven't heard of a Pick 'N Save in forever!! All the ones around here went away! For some reason, I loved the place when I was a kid...

And Waupaka has both a piggly wiggly and a pick&save. at least they did when I lived there acually I lived in Blaine right near Almond

Last edited:
Here in California our Pick n' Save's became Big Lots about 5 years ago. It wasn't a supermarket though. It carried unknown brands of almost anything your local Kmart, Walmart (anything that ends in mart) would have.

Some of the grocery chains are national but use different names in other regions. Whe I was a kid, it seemed like Kroger and A&P were everywhere. A&P stores took on a colonial look with a cupola and a weathervane. They all closed around here (Milwaukee) in the '70s. This was always a tough market, national chains never did well here because the big dog, locally, was Kohl's. The Kohl family owned both grocery stores and department stores and the grocery chain had a strangle hold on this market. The last family member sold both of the chains, the grocery stores to A&P and the department stores to someone else. (That would be Herb Kohl, Senator from Wisconsin, owner of the Milwaukee Bucks and builder of the Kohl Center at UW.) The grocery store chain closed a few years ago, they were no longer competitive in the market. The department store chain has just grown like crazy and you probably have a Kohl's store in your area.I haven't really followed the mergers of regional store groups that closely, both in grocery and department stores, but the largest grocery companies would suprise you, and many you wouldn't even know because they operate under different names in different locations.In department stores, Federated ha been aquiring department stores and changing them all to the Macy's brand. They screwed up Marshall Fields and you won't ever see me inside a Macy's again. Ever. But that's another whole thread.The largest grocery retailer is Wal-Mart. In order, the top ten largest distributors are Wal-Mart, Kroger, Costco, Safeway, Supervalu, Loblaw, Ahold USA, Publix, C&S and Delaize America. 7-11 is 11th. Roundy's, the parent of Pick 'n' Save, is the 33rd largest grocer. There. More about grocery stores than you ever wanted to know.* - Before you ask: Loblaw is based in Toronto and operates in Canada. Ahold is based in The Netherlands and in the US operates mostly out east, but also owns internet marketer, Peapod. Delhaize America operates 1263 stores under the Food Lion brand.

The_Kitchen_Guy The largest grocery retailer is Wal-Mart. In order said:
distributors[/I] are Wal-Mart, Kroger, Costco, Safeway, Supervalu, Loblaw, Ahold USA, Publix, C&S and Delaize America. 7-11 is 11th. Roundy's, the parent of Pick 'n' Save, is the 33rd largest grocer.

There. More about grocery stores than you ever wanted to know.

* - Before you ask: Loblaw is based in Toronto and operates in Canada. Ahold is based in The Netherlands and in the US operates mostly out east, but also owns internet marketer, Peapod. Delhaize America operates 1263 stores under the Food Lion brand.

and THE place to shop here in West MI is Meijers......used to be Meijers Thrifty Acres, and old timers still call it "Thrifty's"......appropriate for the majority Dutch community here!:p (Where do you think the phrases "Let's go Dutch", and "Dutch Treat" came from?) IT was the "one stop shopping" place way before I ever heard of Wal Mart!

Meijer is 12th on that list and they are now all over the midwest. They have not, as far as I know, expanded into Wisconsin yet (the birds all say "Cheap, cheap, cheap" when they fly over Wisconsin) but you can find Meijer all over Michigan, Indiana and Illinois.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Meijer is 12th on that list and they are now all over the midwest. They have not, as far as I know, expanded into Wisconsin yet (the birds all say "Cheap, cheap, cheap" when they fly over Wisconsin) but you can find Meijer all over Michigan, Indiana and Illinois.

I was at the grand opening for the new Meijer's in Holland (Michigan) last year, and sat down in the deli, only to realize that Fred and Lena Meijer (original owners) were sitting at the table next to me! They are semi-celebrities in this area - and have actually done alot for the community - Fredrick Meijer Botanical Gardens, and Sculpture Park, Lena Meijer Heart Center.....and numerous other good deeds. What I hate is that Wal Mart is now moving in and deliberately building sites across from Meijers.....I REFUSE to shop at Wal Mart!!! (plus my mom was a long time employee for Wally - and I know how crappy they are to their employees!)

You can't blame Wally World for opening there - it's been their strategy since day 1. They build next to K-Mart and pretty much killed them off, so the strategy works. If Meijer gets down in the mud with Wally World and competes that way with them, more power to them.It's interesting to watch the battle of the behemoths.The good news is that their is always a niche in the market for boutique retailers. ;) That's us, in case you missed that point.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
And you should be different from everyone else...why?

My favorite bluegrass song is called, "If My Nose Was Running Money Honey, I'd Blow It All On You."

Here is something I found while looking for the lyrics of the above song, I thought I would save KG some time in looking it up :rolleyes: and print it for you. (What a great thread for a cooking theme, huh??? :p )

What is a booger made of?

Main Entry: boog·er
Pronunciation: /BOO - grr/
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of English dialect buggard, boggart, from 1bug + -ard Date: 1866
1 : BOGEYMAN
2 : a piece of dried nasal mucus

Boogers are mucus (myoo-kuss). Mucus is the thin, slippery material that is found inside your nose. Many people call mucus snot. Your nose makes nearly a cupful of snot every day. Snot is produced by the mucous membranes in the nose, which it moistens and protects.

When you inhale air through your nose, it contains lots of tiny particles, like dust, dirt, germs, and pollen. If these particles made it all the way to the lungs, the lungs could get damaged and it would be difficult to breathe. Snot works by trapping the particles and keeping them in the nose.

After these particles get stuck inside the nose, the mucus surrounds them along with some of the tiny hairs inside the nose called cilia. The mucus dries around the particles. When the particles and dried-out mucus clump together, you're left with a booger!

Boogers can be squishy and slimy or tough and crumbly. In fact, boogers are a sign that your nose is working properly.

Gee, I'm so glad you were able to pick up on that. There was a reason I said, "...but let snot."The lyrics to the song are not posted on the web, at least, that I know of. You can find info about the song at "Comedy Songs" which is a sub-page of Mike Snider's web site. (Mike Snider is a member of the Grand Ole Opry and can be heard on WSM's Grand Old Opry on Saturday nights. (Just in case you thought I was making this up!)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Gee, I'm so glad you were able to pick up on that.

There was a reason I said, "...but let snot."

The lyrics to the song are not posted on the web, at least, that I know of. ....

Here they are....:D :D

Artist: Mike Snider
Song: If Nose Was Running Money Tab

If My Nose Was Running Money
Mike Snider

You say that I don't love you. You say my love is untrue.
Well darlin' if I was a rich man I'd prove my love to you.
I'd buy you a diamond ring and a new fur coat or two.
If my nose was running money honey I'd blow it all on you.

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you.
I'd buy you a Cadillac and a new Mercedes too.
I'd build you that mansion up on the mountaintop.
If my nose was running money but honey it's snot.

If my nose was running money, Let me tell you what I'd do.
I'd buy you a John Deere tractor and we'd get rid of that old gray mule.
I'd carry you down to the store and buy you a brand new pair shoes.
And you not have to be plowing bare footed the way you always do.

If my nose was running money, We could have anything we please.
The first time you wanted cash all I'd have to do is sneeze.
Why we'd be living high on the hog and the hog wouldn't be so lean.
If my nose was running money honey we'd be rollin' in the green.

It's a booger of a problem that I got.
I wish my nose was running money but it's snot

I'd buy you a Cadillac and a new Mercedes too.

courtesy of http://www.cowboylyrics.com

Last edited:
And Of Course...
The_Kitchen_Guy said:

OHIO TOO;

MOSTLY NORTHERN AND CENTRAL OH AND WESTERN.

LIZ

Wal Mart
ChefBeckyD said:
I was at the grand opening for the new Meijer's in Holland (Michigan) last year, and sat down in the deli, only to realize that Fred and Lena Meijer (original owners) were sitting at the table next to me! They are semi-celebrities in this area - and have actually done alot for the community - Fredrick Meijer Botanical Gardens, and Sculpture Park, Lena Meijer Heart Center.....and numerous other good deeds. What I hate is that Wal Mart is now moving in and deliberately building sites across from Meijers.....I REFUSE to shop at Wal Mart!!! (plus my mom was a long time employee for Wally - and I know how crappy they are to their employees!)

I love Wal Mart, but am starting to understand the employee things differently, but Wal Mart is no different than any of the other big corps. McDonald's/Burger King, etc don't pay their emps very well and sure could if they chose as well. I don't believe Wal Mart or any other are forcing people to work for them, it's a choice.

JMHO

Looks like there's a metric boatload in Cincinnati and I also see they have several locations in Louisville and Lexington Kentucky.

1. What can cause a grocery store roof to collapse?

There are several factors that can contribute to a grocery store roof collapse. These include heavy snow or ice accumulation, structural damage or defects, inadequate maintenance, and extreme weather conditions such as high winds or heavy rain.

2. How can I tell if a grocery store roof is at risk of collapsing?

Signs that a grocery store roof may be at risk of collapsing include visible structural damage, leaks or cracks in the ceiling, sagging or bowed roof sections, and unusual noises such as creaking or popping. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to evacuate the building immediately and contact a professional for further inspection.

3. Can a grocery store roof collapse be prevented?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent a grocery store roof collapse, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. Regular roof inspections and maintenance, as well as promptly addressing any damage or structural issues, can help to identify and prevent potential problems before they become more serious.

4. What should I do if I am in a grocery store when the roof collapses?

If you are in a grocery store when the roof collapses, stay calm and try to find shelter under a sturdy piece of furniture or against a wall. If possible, try to make your way towards an exit and evacuate the building as quickly and safely as possible. Once you are safely outside, call 911 and seek medical attention if needed.

5. Who is responsible for the safety of a grocery store roof?

The responsibility for the safety of a grocery store roof typically falls on the owner of the building. This includes regular maintenance and repairs, as well as ensuring that the roof is designed and constructed to withstand potential hazards. However, it is also important for employees and customers to be aware of potential risks and report any concerns to the appropriate parties.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • The_Kitchen_Guy
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy