• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Director Cores Starting to Melt Here in Japan :(

In summary, The levels here in Tokyo are normally around 15, but in the last hour they moved up to 20, then spiked to 25. The Geiger Counter server keeps getting too busy for me to refresh ... the last time I was able to get in was probably 15 min's ago and this is what we are facing. We have been instructed to remain indoors - minimize outdoor exposure & secure outside ventilation sources into our homes (A/C units are to be turned off). If we are exposed, we are to shower with soap & change clothes. We are not in a "treatment" zone, just a "minimize exposure" zone. We are watching CNN non-stop in my area, Sheila and
Sheila
Gold Member
This is not looking good. At the front gate of the Nuclear plant, levels are so high that in a 1 hour time frame, people would be exposed to 3 years worth of regular radiation. :(

The levels here in Tokyo are normally around 15 ... in the last hour they moved up to 20, then spiked to 25. 80 is critical. I'm still calm, but starting to worry a bit. More so for my 2 year old & 3 year old. :(

Please keep all of the people here in Japan in your thoughts/prayers. Especially those closer to the epicenter & the nuclear plants.

According to FEMA, if a full nuclear incident occurs the 2 worry ranges are 10 miles where people are affected and a 50 mile radius where crops, livestock & water sources are affected. I mapped us at 205 miles, but the base is saying 187 miles. I guess mine was driving distance, not a straight line. ;) But either way, we are out of the super stressful zone and just getting moderate raises in levels.

We have been instructed to remain indoors - minimize outdoor exposure & secure outside ventilation sources into our homes (A/C units are to be turned off). If we are exposed, we are to shower with soap & change clothes. We are not in a "treatment" zone, just a "minimize exposure" zone.

We are watching CNN non-stop in my area, Sheila and are so concerned for all in Japan. I can not imagine how frightening this all is. The news just keeps getting worse. I hear that they sent some experts in nuclear plants from the US but this seems like a situation they may have not experienced before. Tons of prayers coming to all of you. God must be deaf with all of the prayers coming from me lately!! I am confident he is listening, however!:pray:

Sheila,
I am praying for you and your family. This whole thing is so unbelievable and heartbreaking. I can't even imagine what this is like for everyone over there being affected in some way or another. Just know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

I'm also praying for you,your family and the people in Japan. Thank you for keeping us updated on the situation.

I keep watching the news and I keep praying.

:pray:

Thanks everyone. The Geiger Counter server keeps getting too busy for me to refresh ... the last time I was able to get in was probably 15 min's ago and this is what we are facing ...https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199884_1891890662187_1389121744_3024311_2956871_n.jpgI'm starting to get a bit nervous over here.

Oh, wow. That was 40 min's ago! I didn't realize it had been that long since I saw an update.

praying, praying, praying...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/189454_1891975144299_1389121744_3024345_4331648_n.jpg

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/15_24.html

praying for you, your family, and the nation of Japan. ♥

I know it is not what you want to do, but can you leave? I know your husband is there but the more I hear, the more nervous I am for you. It is not an easy task just to leave, I realize.

Also, from what the media is saying, I am so impressed by the polite manner of people in Japan. How refreshing. I feel so bad for the entire nation.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray: (they don't have a worried face...we need one right now)

Sheila said:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/15_24.html

Great link thanks for sharing.

Sheila I'm praying for you & your family & the nation of Japan to be safe!

Well, I've learned a LOT today. First of all ... the fact that that chart only goes to 100 is no big deal. It looked scary that we were almost topped out, but I learned that 100 is the maximum recommended amount for a person in 1 day. Apparently we'd have to hit 50X that amount for it to be fatal. 10X what we hit today would increase our chances of getting cancer by 5% ... so we were a lot more safe than what we thought today. The base came along & told us to all stay inside with the windows & doors closed, turning off the A/C units so we didn't draw in outside air. Then watching that Geiger Counter climb ... well it was a bit unnerving.I'm more relaxed now! ;)But we are looking at just going ahead & getting us out of here for a while. Hubby has no choice but to stay. The kids & I are free to go! I'll let you ladies know if/when that happens. Hoping for Dallas since we have friends/family there ... but I'll take Okinawa or Hawaii with friends too. We are just looking at what's easiest.

Good news Sheila! I know it's hard leaving your husband behind but better to be safe w/the kids :)

Wow Sheila!
You (and everyone in Japan but you especially) have been in my thoughts and prayers continually. I am glad to hear that you may be getting out with the munchkins. Sending many many hugs your way.

What is causing the cores to melt in Japan?

The cores in Japan are melting due to the effects of climate change, specifically rising temperatures and melting glaciers.

How is this affecting the people in Japan?

The melting cores in Japan are causing sea levels to rise, leading to increased risk of flooding and damage to coastal communities. It also affects the availability of freshwater and can lead to more frequent and severe natural disasters.

What is being done to address this issue?

The Japanese government is working on implementing measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and slow the effects of climate change. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to improve infrastructure and disaster preparedness in affected areas.

What can individuals do to help?

Individuals can make small changes in their daily lives, such as reducing energy consumption and waste, using public transportation or carpooling, and supporting environmentally friendly policies and businesses. They can also educate themselves and others about the issue and advocate for climate action.

Is this a global issue or specific to Japan?

Climate change and melting cores are a global issue, but the specific impact and severity may vary in different regions. However, it requires collective action and cooperation from all countries to address and mitigate its effects.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Sheila
Replies
Views
Sheila