• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cooking Brown Rice in the Rice Cooker

In summary, the rice cooker is a great product that makes perfect rice every time. It is better than using a micro cooker because it does not boil over and it can be used for many other tasks besides just cooking rice.
kitchenqueen
Has anyone tried cooking brown rice in the rice cooker? If so, can you tell me the directions? I know you have to cook brown rice alittle longer than white rice so I assume it is going to be different. I've cooked white rice in it plenty of times and every time it has come out PERFECT! I wanted to try to cook brown rice with dinner tonight. I appreciate any tips! Thanks in advance! :D

Yummy Brown RiceYes, I have cooked brown rice in the cooker this week at a show and it was GREAT. I bought the Uncle Ben's Brown rice and just followed the microwave directions. For a whole box I think it was 11 min. which is 7 servings. I liked it better then the white rice. :D

I've also done minute rice. Works perfect every time. You can also do the rice that has to be browned in the skillet first....just brown it in the skillet before you put in in the rice cooker.

Yum!Thank you so much for the tips. I tried it lastnight and it was GREAT! I used chicken broth instead of water (I do this too when I cook noodles for pasta salads) which really helped add some flavor. Then I added some peas and carrots too! We had it with grilled chicken. It was excellent and quite healthy I might add! :D

sounds good, did you add the peas and carrots while you cooked the rice or afterwards?

They were frozen - so I thought I'd take a chance and throw them in there with the rice. I figured if they didn't turn out, I would give it to my dogs :rolleyes: and try the rice again without the veggies. It's fun to experiment every now and then! You just need to have a plan B! ;)

Brown RiceIf you are talking about the rice with the hull still on (which is what I think of when you say brown rice) I have done it with 2 parts liquid to 1 part rice. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, then on 50% for about 20 minutes. It comes out great.

Customer QuestionI have a customer who typically uses the micro cooker to cook rice... she is wanting to know if the rice cooker is a truly superior product. Can you guys give me some insight?? If so, in what ways is it better??

maghawes said:
I have a customer who typically uses the micro cooker to cook rice... she is wanting to know if the rice cooker is a truly superior product. Can you guys give me some insight?? If so, in what ways is it better??
No boil-overs for one! It makes the rice perfect every time! Just follow the microwave instructions on the rice bag. You can use it for pasta dishes that have microwave instructions.

You can also make a cake in it! See another thread under product tips!! I made it today and it was absolutely perfect!!

I have also been using my rice cooker PLUS (love the plus!) to steam my frozen veggies and to steam tamales. I buy about 5 dozen at a time fresh from a lady, but cannot eat them before they spoil, so freeze them. Take them frozen, put them in the RC+ for about 4 minutes...shake container...2 more minutes, and get perfect tamales afterwards!

1. How much water should I use when cooking brown rice in the rice cooker?

The general rule of thumb for cooking brown rice in a rice cooker is to use 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. However, you may need to adjust the amount of water depending on the type of rice and your personal preference for texture.

2. How long does it take to cook brown rice in a rice cooker?

The cooking time for brown rice in a rice cooker can vary, but it usually takes about 45-50 minutes. Some rice cookers also have a specific setting for brown rice which may take longer to cook compared to white rice.

3. Can I add seasonings or other ingredients to my brown rice when cooking it in a rice cooker?

Yes, you can add seasonings or other ingredients such as herbs, spices, or vegetables to your brown rice when cooking it in a rice cooker. Just make sure to add them before starting the cooking process so they have enough time to infuse into the rice.

4. Do I need to soak brown rice before cooking it in a rice cooker?

No, soaking brown rice is not necessary when cooking it in a rice cooker. However, some people prefer to soak their rice beforehand to make it easier to digest.

5. How do I know when my brown rice is done cooking in the rice cooker?

Once the cooking time is up, check the rice for doneness by fluffing it with a fork. If the rice is still too firm, add a bit more water and continue cooking for a few more minutes. If the rice is too soft, drain any excess water and let it sit with the lid off for a few minutes to absorb the excess moisture.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Yakmama
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Senkimekia
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Senkimekia
  • KRISTI'SCOOKING