1. Join Chef Success Today!
    Get support for your PC business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of support threads! Totally Free!
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Urgent Cookies on Stoneware

1. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

Hey guys, I know this question has been asked before, but I can't find any of the threads right now. I just got a call from a customer who is baking cookies right now. She is lining the bar pan with parchment and baking drop cookies on it. She had to end up baking them for 20 minutes when they were only supposed to take 8-10 minutes. I've never encountered this before. What's the deal?

The stone is not new, the oven was preheated.

Mar 11, 2009
  2. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

The first batch can take longer, but after that, the time should be the same as non-stone time.

Also, baking them on the bar pan is going to yield different results than baking them on a flat stone.

Mar 11, 2009
  3. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

Sometimes cookies take longer to bake on the stone because it takes longer for the stone to heat up than a metal pan.

Mar 11, 2009
  4. etteluap70PC

etteluap70PC Legacy Member Gold Member

Is the dough cold or just mixed. That makes a difference too. Is this a new recipe for her or a tried and true?

Like others said the first batch takes longer even with a preheated stone.

Also maybee her oven has begun to go flakey... it can happen

Mar 11, 2009
  5. Chef Kearns

Chef Kearns Legacy Member Gold Member

Well, I called her back and told her the first batch theory, so I think for now she's straight!

Thank you for your help!

Mar 11, 2009
  6. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I e-mailed the test kitchens once because I was really struggling with baking cookies on the rectangle stone. I was trying to use parchment paper because some people had recommended it. My cookies were taking almost 20 minutes for the first batch too. They would look done on the outside, but be really undercooked in the middle. This is what test kitchens wrote me:

Because you are using stoneware, you may have to bake a little longer since
    stones sometimes take a little longer to get hot in the oven. I wouldn't
    waste parchment paper on the cookies though. You don't need it with
    stoneware. I only recommend parchment when baking with a metal sheet
    pan. Try baking the cookies on the stones without parchment and see how
    beautifully they come out on the bottom. They're perfect! This will also
    season your stone really well and your cookies, over time will be
    excellent when baked on your stone! I love my stones for cookies!

Since then I've used the stones just plain and now it's like they said, the stone is getting seasoned and they don't stick to it and they are coming out really nice. But the baking time is longer for the first batch, and I let them sit on the stone for a few minutes to continue cooking just a bit.

Mar 12, 2009
  7. candiejayne

candiejayne Veteran Member

I just made cookies a couple weeks ago for the first time on my stone, and the first batch did take me about twice as long, but after that the suggested baking time worked well for me.

Mar 12, 2009
Have something to add?