• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Convert Me on the Rice Cooker --

In summary, the person writing this summary says that they have not had good luck with their rice cooker and that they think that it may be because their microwave is not cooking evenly. They also suggest following the directions on the rice package instead of the U&C.
smilesarepriceless
Gold Member
I really have made rice about 4 times with the rice cooker, following the directions to the tee!! Each time with not good results...

Anyone love their rice cooker..please share any FAVORITE recipes...maybe I'm doing something wrong

smilesarepriceless said:
I really have made rice about 4 times with the rice cooker, following the directions to the tee!! Each time with not good results...

Anyone love their rice cooker..please share any FAVORITE recipes...maybe I'm doing something wrong

I personally don't have one, but my mom does and she loves it..perfect rice each time. All I can think of is -- what's the wattage of your microwave? Maybe that has something to do with it. Or, it could be that your microwave doesn't heat/cook evenly. I dunno...but that's what instantly came to my mind when I read your post.

I am having the same problem! I used it at a show the other night and the rice did not cook like it was supposed to. It never does for me! What are we doing wrong???

I've done great with plain white rice, jasmine rice, bismati rice. not so good w/brown rice or white long grain.quinoa and couscous are great in it too. i buy the Near East pkg of rice pilaf and it is good in it every time. I use the amt of water on the pkg and then 5 min on high and 15 on medium and it's perfect every time.

I only use mine for rice, so no recipes to suggest. But microwaves vary, so you may need to play with the directions to get it tuned for your particular appliance. What was the problem with your rice, Heather? If it was still crunchy, add a little (like a tablespoon or 2) water and just a little bit more time on medium power. Too mushy? Use a tablespoon less water and take 30 seconds to a minute off the time. And this is not meant to be insulting, but are you using regular rice? Instant rice, when cooked for the amount of time directed by the U&C, will be an overcooked mess. Also, if there are microwave directions on your bag of rice, use those instead of the instructions that came with the cooker.

Did you know that you can make potatoes and carrots in it in about 15 min? I have been demoing the south of the border meatloaf, but then along w/ it, I am having my hosts get red potatoes and a bag of baby carrots, cut the potatoes into quarters and dump the bag of carrots in, drizzle w/ garlic oil and micro for about 12-15 min. It has been going over GREAT!

I also have done mashed potatoes in it, it's good for a quick fix, but I still like my mashed the old fashioned way boiling potatoes. But, if I"m in a hurry I definitely will use the rice cooker.

Check out the files section on here, there's lots of great recipes you can use for the Rice cooker! :)

I'm with Ann--use the directions on the rice package instead of the U&C. It made all the difference in the world for mine.

If you have Uncle Ben's minute rice (my 8 yr old daughter loves the rice cooker) - all you need to do is follow the package directions - which for 2 servings is 1 cup rice, 1 cup water and a pat of butter - microwave on high 5 minutes - perfect rice every time!

I was having the same issue as you when I followed the product U&C. I started following the microwave directions on bags of rice, which worked but I found it to be a pain and I felt limited on what kind of rice I could get. My director showed me some recipes and claimed that one can do any kind of rice in the rice cooker - she doesnt even bother with the 50% power like I was! I love using the chicken broth, it adds a subtle, wonderful flavor! As far as other recipes, there are pages of rice cooker recipes in the file section, definitely check those out. :DHere is what she has posted on her website HTH:The Amazing Rice Cooker!!
Rice Cooker Plus Recipes
Use the Rice Cooker Plus for more than just rice. You can use it to make Macaroni and Cheese, steamed vegetables, soups, instant pasta, potatoes, pudding, oatmeal, cakes, just about anything without worrying about it boiling over the microwave and making a mess. White Rice 1C Rice (I love white Basmati rice - Lundberg brand)
2C Water (I use 1 can Swanson's Chicken Broth as part of that liquid) 1. Place rice and water in Rice Cooker Plus. Attach both lids.
2. Microwave on high for 8 minutes.
3. If you still see some liquid, put it in a couple more minutes then let it set for a bit.
4. Add a couple tablespoons of butter and enjoy!
To make more rice, simply double and cook on high 16 minutes. The rice cooker holds a 9-cup capacity of cooked rice! For Brown Rice
2 Cups Brown Basmati Rice
4 Cups water (use 1 can Swanson's Chicken Broth as part of that liquid)
1. Place rice and water in Rice Cooker Plus. Attach both lids.
2. Microwave on high for 28 to 30 minutes.
3. If you still see some liquid, put it in a couple more minutes then let it set for a bit.
4. Add 4 Tablespoons of butter. Stir after it's melted. Enjoy!

I use a Jasmine rice by Mahatma and it cooks perfect each time. I also make Kraft mac n' cheese in it for my daughter. And can we beat hot lava cake?

I have been using long grain white and following package directions. Going to try it right now with directions from above...So, if there is water left, just cook a little longer? Should there be water on top of the lid? Sorry to be so clueless, but I really do not know how to cook rice!

You'll have some condensation on the lid, but you shouldn't have standing liquid.

jcsmilez said:
For Brown Rice
2 Cups Brown Basmati Rice
4 Cups water (use 1 can Swanson's Chicken Broth as part of that liquid)
1. Place rice and water in Rice Cooker Plus. Attach both lids.
2. Microwave on high for 28 to 30 minutes.
4. Add 4 Tablespoons of butter. Stir after it's melted. Enjoy!
Please, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful when following these directions. I had a mishap with my first rice cooker. My microwave didn't go down to 50% power, so it continued on HIGH as it cooked my brown rice, and after about 25 minutes it overheated and melted.

It's tempting to just shorten the cook time and leave the power up, but the instructions are there for a reason. Dishes/cookware/the rice cooker don't themselves get hot in the microwave. What we feel on them is heat from the food transferring through the dish. Cooking rice should be done at a simmer, which is what the "5 min on high, then time on med" instructions are designed to do. If you leave it on high, the water and rice will stay at a boil and will in turn heat up the cooker more than it's designed to.

everyone --thank you for feedback, ideas.

the rice i cook primarily is enriched long grain rice. Nothing else really.

I would say the rice I have used and made before is a little on the crunchy side, when following the microwave instructions on the packages...

I'll try a little more liquid ..and a little more cook time.

Using the minute brown rice, I cook it per box instructions....1 part rice, 2 parts liquid....15 minutes on high, and let sit for 3-5 minutes (without checking it). Comes out perfect.

raebates said:
You'll have some condensation on the lid, but you shouldn't have standing liquid.

I get standing liquid on the top of the lid. I made it the other day by cooking it 8 minutes. There was still about 1/4 inch water on top of rice, so I cooked it 2 more minutes, and let stand about 5-10 minutes. It was a little sticky (not as bad as it has been when I've made ti before) and a little crunchy, but not bad.

Still not able to tell people it is awesome!

Every microwave is different. The best thing to do is start out with a basic formula--1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 5 minutes on high, then 15 minutes on 50% power. See how that works. If it's not right, make ONE adjustment (more/less water, more/less time, etc.). Write down what you did differently. When you finally get that AHA! you'll know how it's done, then you'll have perfect rice every time.

I have one and really don't use it. I bought it thinking it would be a good idea, but.
Here in Hawaii almost everyone has an electric rice cooker. It takes about the same length of time to cook rice in the micro cooker than the elec one, and the rice from the elec one is always perfect.
So for us it is kind of a useless item, but if that is all you have it is okay, just need to experiment and find out what works best for your situation.

You can always push the rice cooker for the Molten Lava Cake recipe. I always make that recipe at shows, and sell the rice cookers.

I've been very fortunate with the rice cooker; a friend of mine uses them to transport hot foods to shut ins.It's like any cooking tool - you need to tweak it sometimes. If your rice comes out gummy or water is still present at the bottom, stir it and return it to the microwave on high for a minute or two. If your rice is dry and clearly overcooked, reduce the total minutes cooking by 5 at a time and see if your results improve. I have had about 2 pots of gummy mess, but have been 30-40 pots successful with RiceARoni, Chinese sticky rice (calrose rice on the bag), Uncle Ben's brown rice, Chinese brown rice, and Minute Rice. Also, my microwave has a rice button--I just put it on for the number of cups to be cooked and let it go: works great!

Sensor!!! I totally forgot I have sensor cooking on my microwave! I am going to do that next! And it does brown or white rice. (I'm such a dork.)

scottcooks said:
I've been very fortunate with the rice cooker; a friend of mine uses them to transport hot foods to shut ins.

It's like any cooking tool - you need to tweak it sometimes. If your rice comes out gummy or water is still present at the bottom, stir it and return it to the microwave on high for a minute or two. If your rice is dry and clearly overcooked, reduce the total minutes cooking by 5 at a time and see if your results improve.

I have had about 2 pots of gummy mess, but have been 30-40 pots successful with RiceARoni, Chinese sticky rice (calrose rice on the bag), Uncle Ben's brown rice, Chinese brown rice, and Minute Rice. Also, my microwave has a rice button--I just put it on for the number of cups to be cooked and let it go: works great!

I was so jealous when I read that, until I looked at my own microwave and discovered that I too have a rice button! Can't wait to make rice now!

What is the capacity of the rice cooker?

The rice cooker has a capacity of 6 cups, making it perfect for cooking enough rice for a family dinner.

Can I cook other types of grains in the rice cooker?

Yes, the rice cooker can also be used to cook quinoa, couscous, and other grains. Just follow the recommended cooking times and water ratios for each type of grain.

How long does it take to cook rice in the rice cooker?

Cooking times may vary depending on the type of rice, but on average, white rice takes about 20 minutes to cook in the rice cooker.

Can I use the rice cooker to steam vegetables?

Yes, the rice cooker comes with a steam basket that can be used to steam vegetables while the rice is cooking. This makes for a quick and easy side dish.

Is the rice cooker easy to clean?

Yes, the rice cooker has a non-stick inner pot and a removable steam basket, making it easy to clean. Simply hand wash with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly before using again.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Chef_Anie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
chefann
  • Mizjent
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Chef Gilles
Replies