1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: Host Coaching Catalogs at beginning of show

1. TrishPCMommy

TrishPCMommy Member Gold Member

I have a host who informed me today (show is Saturday) by email:

"One thing that I do want to be sure of at the party is that we hand out the catalogs in the very beginning of the party. This way the people can look at them during the demo and get some ideas. I have found that if they have more time to browse they will find more and have more questions. So that is the one really big thing that I wanted to do different from (previous host's) party..."

:eek:I've only done the interactive shows. Am I mistaken to think if I hand out the catalogs at the beginning that I will get no participation? :grumpy:They'll be busy going through a catalog instead of participating, right? Plus, it's a Cold Stone Show... they're going to have to make their ice cream combo!

Re: Host Coaching, she was at a previous show I did and it had "been a while" since she had been at a PC Show but she's a "good Host". I told her during our 1st call and 2nd call about how I would have the guests interacting with the tools and the "try before you buy" style of Show that I do. Now, this surprise!

How do I appease her (especially this late in the game) and still do an interactive show? BTW, I also asked her a few weeks ago if my new recruit could come to the show so my recruit could get more experience seeing an interactive show. The Host said "no problem"... now I've got my recruit coming to see...??? (I'm not sure...):eek::grumpy:

Aug 7, 2009
  2. lockhartkitchen

lockhartkitchen Senior Member

I do interactive shows and the guests have their catalogs. I use the catalogs to have guests look up the pages the items can be found on and give out "bucks" for the first to find it while someone else if using the item. This could please you host and still do the hands-on approach you are looking to demonstrate to your recruit.

3. Sheila

Sheila Legend Member Gold Member

I only do interactive shows and I have my clipboards out & available from the moment that the customer walks through the door. They will open the catalogs & flip through them while other people are still arriving but I've not found them to be a distraction at all. Once I do my intro & explain that this is an interactive show, I instruct all the guests to go wash their hands so we can get started. Everyone always stands up, puts their clipboard down in their seat & goes to either the kitchen or bath to wash ... then we do the demo. I've never had the catalogs get in the way. As soon as we get a break (foods in the microwave or oven) most of them will start browsing the catalog again while we go around the room, have everyone introduce themselves, name their favorite PC item and explain why it's their favorite. ;)

Aug 7, 2009
  4. raebates

raebates Legend Member Staff Member

When I do an interactive show the people still get catalogs as they arrive. I just instruct them to leave the catalogs as they gather around the table for the interactive part.

Aug 7, 2009
  5. pamperedlinda

pamperedlinda Legend Member Gold Member

I want my catalog at the beginning of any party that I go to so I the same at my shows.

6. ChefBeckyD

ChefBeckyD Legend Member Gold Member

Same here. I feel like I'm being held hostage if I'm not given the info up front.

Aug 7, 2009
  7. chefjeanine

chefjeanine Legacy Member Gold Member

I don't give them the catalog until after the demo. I do an interactive show and I usually have everyone standing around a table/countertop. When we go to sit down, I have them pick up a lapboard and pen on the way back to their seat. I don't consider it as keeping the catalogs away from them -- we're just too busy before then.

Aug 7, 2009
  8. DebbieJ

DebbieJ Legend Member

That's what I do too.

Aug 7, 2009
  9. TrishPCMommy

TrishPCMommy Member Gold Member

Thank you for your feedback ladies!!
    Jeanine, what you do/describe is how I usually do it.
    I'm not too comfortable with the catalogs in hand and I'd like it to flow naturally for my recruit; I was hoping to practice some of the things I learned at Conference too, but not with catalogs in hand.
    I will do Rae's & Deb's approach in hopes of keeping the Host happy... with the goal that the guests will leave the catalogs to come participate...
    Thank you

Aug 7, 2009
  10. kdangel518

kdangel518 Advanced Member Gold Member

Ditto. This is exactly how I run my shows, only I give out tickets for a door prize drawing. I tell guests in the introduction that it's an interactive show, and they will be participating in the cooking. I don't find anh problems with this format.

Aug 7, 2009
  11. outwhit420

outwhit420 Novice Member

My thought is this: Certainly, we want to appease our hosts, but the bottom line is that it's your business, and your show format...and you need to be comfortable during the show.

Contrarywise, it doesn't hurt to try new things just to see what works best for you. See if giving them out at the beginning helps your sales or not...then you will know for next time and you will be able to tell your host, as the expert, that you've found that a certain way works best.

I've tried many different things...handing them out at the beginning, and the middle. I've had success at both..so I decided to compromise a little. I don't do interactive shows except for inviting guests up to try the tools...it doesn't always go over well. I find that I, many times, have trouble talking and preparing at the same time. I also find that if guests do NOT have catalogs right away, I have more of their attention....SO. I start off by having the host introduce me, then I thank the host, and the guests for coming....I share my story, talk about the business and the specials....then, I hand out my lapboards (catalog side down), and have them looking at more recruiting info., then when I'm ready to begin the recipe, I have them flip the lapboards over, and fill out their receipt and begin browsing the catalog. If I have something important to say....I make sure to get everyone's attention, usually by using a bicycle horn, or by clanging on a glass or piece of cookware.

Aug 18, 2009
  12. stefani2

stefani2 Veteran Member

my show sales seem to be higher when people get their catalogues near the beginning - that way they remember EVERYTHING that they want!

Aug 18, 2009
  13. ShellBeach

ShellBeach Veteran Member

I've never had problems with giving out the catalogs when guests arrive! I don't give them out, they are in a stack.

Aug 18, 2009
Have something to add?