• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Explain the Get Local Media Coverage Option on June CN?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of advertising and getting local media coverage for direct sales businesses. One person shares their confusion about the "Get local media coverage" option and how it generates ads. They also mention other advertising options offered by Merrill and the difficulties of getting ads published in newspapers. Another person shares their experience with having a press release published in their local paper and suggests smaller local papers may have more success. The conversation also touches on the challenges of getting coverage in newspapers and the importance of following guidelines in the Policy Guide. The conversation ends with a discussion about using community signs as a form of advertising and the shrinking space for news in newspapers.
lisasfuncooking
I had read the June CN today. I don't understand what the "Get local media coverage" is! I thought we were not aloud to advertise like that. I clicked on the tab, entered information and it just generated an ad. Does that mean I could have that printed in a local newspaper? :confused:
I heard of some advertising Merrill offered but didn't understand what that was either. I just want to see what other options are available that are approved by the HO.

It's a press release. There are details of where you can and can't submit it to in the Policy Guide, and how to use it. The idea is to send it to your local newspaper with the hopes that they'll find it interesting and contact you to write an article.

The Merrill ad generator will allow you to create print ads that you can then place in newspapers, magazines, programs for school events etc. Again, you have to follow the rules in the Policy Guide for where you can submit them, but with the ad generator you will be able to create ads with the official logo that you know are within the guidlines of what it can say.

And speaking as a reporter/editor of a local newspaper, good luck getting those things published!Seriously, do you know HOW MANY people there are in our readership area who are in some form of direct sales? In my tiny congregation, MLM people make up a good 25-50 percent of the congregation!If we run one we have to run them all ...

Thanks, I am not looking for an article to be published about me. Just wanted to try to advertise and expand to others areas I do not have any contacts in. Trying to get out of "my circle" Obviously, I have to check on cost. But will go through the policy guide to make sure I am following the rules. I try very hard to make sure I don't cross the line, example: facebook. Even though there may be others that would, I like to keep the playing field fair.
Thanks for your help.

You can place a small classified in a paper. (the smaller and more local the better) You can also put your name on a sign that charges for it, which is what I have been thinking of doing.I'm fond of telling people, "There is NO SUCH THING as a free ad! An ad, by definition, is something you pay for." Usually they want a news release, which we run at our own discretion.

Di--what do you mean you can put your name on a sign--like at a gas station? or one of those electronic things that run messages at the laundromat?hmmm. I bet I'm on the wrong track.Marghi

Our local paper printed the HWC press release in full. Surprised me. I might give this one a shot.

raebates said:
Our local paper printed the HWC press release in full. Surprised me. I might give this one a shot.

My guess is you would have better luck with smaller local papers. Even if it wasn't on the Top 100 list, I would never expect the Atlanta Journal-Constitution to even look at a press release from little old me, but I think I might have a shot with the local paper for our county. They actually just wrote an article featuring several local direct sales businesses. There was no PC person included, and I know there are several in the area.

My neighborhood has an "Ellet Community Sign" that has upcoming community events. Sometimes I see businesses on it, and often it is blank. It is right up the street from me, and every time it is blank, I think I ought to put my name on it for a week or so. It gets a lot of exposure from people driving by.

My newspaper is a small, local, county one.Our news hole is shrinking regularly ... we are coming out with a re-design which is supposed to give us more space to write. Taking it with a grain of salt.I can tell you that most newspapers would be more apt to have a story on direct sales that THEY WRITE than publish a cheesy press release that so and so is a consultant in your area. So the release might have some impact that way, might not. Depends, frankly, on the mood of the person opening the mail!

Di_Can_Cook said:
My newspaper is a small, local, county one.

Our news hole is shrinking regularly ... we are coming out with a re-design which is supposed to give us more space to write. Taking it with a grain of salt.

I can tell you that most newspapers would be more apt to have a story on direct sales that THEY WRITE than publish a cheesy press release that so and so is a consultant in your area. So the release might have some impact that way, might not. Depends, frankly, on the mood of the person opening the mail!
My first job was at a small local paper. Sometimes it also depends on if they need filler articles. But then again it's up to who ever is formatting the paper to decide what filler articles to include. Our typesetter would scan or type all the press releases we got and put them in a folder by date. Then they would be used as needed and get tossed out every once in a while.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Depends, frankly, on the mood of the person opening the mail!

Exactly! :thumbup:

OK, I'm looking for info on the Merrill ad generator and stumbled across this thread. I moved to a town of 1,100 that has a weekly paper three years ago and noticed that it had a lot of ads for the office supply (who prints the paper). I called and asked if they were open to a regular article on gardening. They were thrilled and a year later when I started my PC biz and sent them an ad to run, telling them to let me know the cost, they just ran it. Now, about every other month, they run an ad for my PC biz. I always offer to pay and always try to give them lead time so if the paper is full one week they can run it the next and it will still be timely. It might be an 8th of a page but usually it's 1/4 to 1/2 page ad and I've never had to pay. BUT I ALWAYS OFFER.

You could write an article on anything - child care, photography, home schooling, woodworking, auto repair, cooking - anything that would have a fairly wide appeal and many small papers will publish it. They know that if the paper is full I don't mind if my article gets held for the following week (it's happened once) and, 5 or 6 times they've called me for recipes with a PC plug to help them fill the paper. It's worth a shot. GO FOR NO!

Wow, that's cool, Jean! Have you gotten much business from the ad?

1. Can you explain the benefits of using June CN cookware?

June CN cookware is made with high-quality materials that provide even heat distribution and prevent hot spots, resulting in perfectly cooked food every time. The nonstick surface allows for easy cleaning and the cookware is also oven and dishwasher safe.

2. What sets June CN cookware apart from other brands?

June CN cookware is designed with the home cook in mind. It is durable, versatile, and easy to use. The nonstick surface is also made without harmful chemicals, making it a healthier option for cooking.

3. Can you use June CN cookware on all stovetops?

Yes, June CN cookware is compatible with all stovetops, including gas, electric, and induction. It is also safe to use in the oven up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. How do I care for my June CN cookware?

To ensure the longevity of your June CN cookware, it is recommended to hand wash with warm, soapy water and a non-abrasive sponge. Avoid using metal utensils or harsh cleaning products that can damage the nonstick surface.

5. Does June CN offer a warranty for their cookware?

Yes, June CN offers a limited lifetime warranty for their cookware. This covers any defects in materials or workmanship, and the company will replace or repair the product at no cost to the customer.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd
  • AlowayFamily
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
reneenshelcook4u
  • KellyTheChef