• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can You Cook Pudding on a Glass Top Stove with Batter Bowls?

In summary, the customer asked me if it was okay to cook pudding on the top of the stove. I told her that it is not okay and that she would risk breaking the bowl. I also warned her about the potential damage to the stovetop if she did attempt this.
samcmills
A customer asked me a question about the batter bowls. She wants to know if you can cook pudding for instance on the top of the stove, an glasstop one the kind that has the circles drawn on it where the burner is, not gas.

I checked the use and care and it is a no-no. Just wondered if anyone has tried it anyway and if so what happened.

My DH says it is a direct flame problem and I tend to agree with him. The customer had another person ask her this too so I just want to get a definitive answer for her and the other lady, yes or no, tell her what would happen if she did this.

sam

Don't do it!!! The bowls are not designed for stove top cooking. They'll break...

Diane

I second that! It will crack right in half or worse -shatter- and she will never get all the pieces of glass out of the nooks and crannies of those electric burners! I have never done this, but a customer of mine lost her bowl this way by accidently leaving it on a burner that hadn't cooled down yet. The bowl cracked and broke leaving her with glass and cake mix to clean out of her stove. NOT FUN!

Oh, and she's got a smooth-topped stove? The force of the cracking glass and/or its hitting the stove can scratch her stovetop too. :(

Great, that is what my DH said. Now I can tell her what happened to someone else that did it.

Thanks ladies!
sam

No no no no! The glass bowls do not distribute the heat fast enough from a direct source, that is why they will break. The bottom of the bowl will heat faster than the sides, causing it to shatter as the molecules of one part expand at a faster rate than the others. (If you wanted a scientific explanation, LOL). This is why stoneware will break on direct heat as well... it can't adjust to the temperature change fast enough. Aluminum distributes heat much faster, which is why our high-quality pans are so good. (And why low-quality ones warp... they heat unevenly.)

as I was reading this post I thought of my MIL she was cooking gravy on her glass top stove with a glass casserol dish and it literally exploded

Oh, NO don't do it.....I have a glass top too and it will not only break but damage the stovetop....even the Executive Cookware should not be dragged across those as the emblem may scratch the surface.....;O)

AND, :eek: as far as gas tops go, I was doing a Vendor Blender and there was sooo much going on and I was cooking (at a friends house in a GORGEOUS BRAND NEW KITCHEN) and I didn't know the gas burner on the cooktop was going and placed the batter bowl on top and went outside for a bit, and thank goodness my friend noticed it....It was "crackling" when she took it off....we put it on a trivet until it cooled down.....luckily it is in one piece still......:rolleyes: But didn't I feel silly......whew......

1. What is a batter bowl?

A batter bowl is a kitchen tool used for mixing and pouring batter for various baked goods such as cakes, pancakes, and muffins. It usually has a spout for easy pouring and a handle for a secure grip.

2. How do I use a batter bowl?

To use a batter bowl, simply measure out your ingredients and mix them together in the bowl using a whisk or spoon. Then, use the spout to pour the batter into your desired baking dish. The bowl can also be used for mixing other ingredients such as marinades or salad dressings.

3. Are batter bowls microwave safe?

Yes, most batter bowls are microwave safe. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions before using it in the microwave. Some batter bowls may have metal components that should not be microwaved.

4. Can I put my batter bowl in the dishwasher?

Yes, most batter bowls are dishwasher safe. However, it is best to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure the bowl can withstand high heat and harsh dishwasher detergents.

5. What materials are batter bowls typically made of?

Batter bowls can be made of various materials such as glass, ceramic, plastic, or stainless steel. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose one that fits your needs and preferences.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• bridgetbakes
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
  • Christine68
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kitty
  • EMarth123