• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can regular eggs be used as a substitute for Egg Subsitute in a recipe?

In summary, my aunt called me and she forgot to get Egg Subsitute for a recipe. She can usually use egg whites instead of subsitute, but if she's worried about salmonella, she shouldn't use raw eggs.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
My aunt just called me... She forgot to get Egg Subsitute for a recipe. Can she just use regular eggs and what would the equivelent be? Thanks!

1/4 cup egg substitute = 1 egg

He-he, I read the title and thought "why substitute a substitute" just use real eggs!

Thats what i was thinking too!!!

She can usually use egg whites instead of subsitute.

janetupnorth said:
He-he, I read the title and thought "why substitute a substitute" just use real eggs!

We were laughing on the phone because of the whole substituting for a subsitute thing! I told her that I would ask on here.

I just talked to my aunt again. She's making Congo Cookies and this is for the frosting. She said that you melt chocolate squares and butter then mix in marshmellows, vanilla, egg subsitute and baking powder. Wouldn't that leave the regular eggs raw? Isn't that why it's calling for egg subsitute. Guess I've never cooked with egg subsitute so I really have no clue. Told her I would ask again to see if it would be safe to use real eggs like this. The chocolate would be warm but you don't cook anything after adding the eggs.

Yes, it's probably because the eggs would be raw... egg substitutes are usually pasturized and stuff so the risk is lessened. She can still do it, and leave the eggs raw; lots of people use real raw egg whites in royal icing all the time... BUT if she's worried at all about salmonella in the eggs, or will be feeding these cookies to anyone very very young or very very old (or otherwise has compromised immunity), then it would be wise not to use raw eggs.

I do keep a can of egg white powder on hand to make royal icing; I'm sure that if she has any (or a neighbor does?), she could substitute that. It lasts forever in the pantry, and then I don't have to remember to buy egg substitute when I need it. =)

Hope that helps at least a little...

=) Jen

Thanks, I'll let her know. She said that she would just wait until she got an answer or went back to the store.

What can I use as a substitute for egg substitute?

There are a few options you can use as a substitute for egg substitute, including silken tofu, mashed banana, applesauce, chia seeds, and flaxseeds. Each of these options can be used as a 1:1 replacement for egg substitute in most recipes.

Can I just use regular eggs instead of egg substitute?

Yes, you can use regular eggs instead of egg substitute. Typically, 1/4 cup of egg substitute is equivalent to 1 egg. However, keep in mind that using regular eggs may alter the texture and taste of your dish.

Is it possible to make my own egg substitute?

Yes, it is possible to make your own egg substitute. You can mix together 1 tablespoon of chia seeds or ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water to create a gel-like mixture that can be used as a substitute for 1 egg.

Can I use egg white as a substitute for egg substitute?

Yes, you can use egg whites as a substitute for egg substitute. Two egg whites can be used in place of 1/4 cup of egg substitute. Keep in mind that using only egg whites may result in a less fluffy texture in your dish.

Can I use egg substitute in all recipes that call for eggs?

Egg substitute can be used in most recipes that call for eggs, but it may not work in all recipes. For example, egg substitute may not be suitable for recipes that require beating eggs to create volume, such as meringues or soufflés. It's best to follow the recipe or consult with a Pampered Chef consultant for the best substitution options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• magentablue
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
magentablue
  • Cooking with Nicole
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Cooking with Nicole
Replies