• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Can Microsoft Works open Word attachments without losing formatting?

In summary, your recruit can open Word documents using the Word Viewer 2003 if they have installed the Compatibility Pack.
crissy11
Gold Member
I have a new consultant who cannot open any of my attachments for fliers. I use Word and everything I have is saved there. I tried to copy and paste into Works (I have it just don't use it) but she says it comes to her in pieces and doesn't know where it is supposed to be put back together.
I hate for her not to get any of my fliers. She is working a booth in two weeks and I wanted to send her a coupon flier but again I only have it in Word.
How do you convert it?

Crystal

If its 07 MW if you go to "save as" you have the option to save as MW 97-2000 format. does this help? If not, you might just copy/past the flyer info onto the email you send (and not worry about adding the attachment)

I have the same problem - There is this program she can download for free. It will open all of the docs you send her and she can even make Word compatible docs in it. It is really easy to use! Darn, if I could only remember the name of it! Its at home.

Office(something) maybe.....

Anybody, Anybody....

I got the info from here.

I think it's open office... does that sound right?

crissy11 said:
Microsoft Works

THAT is the ultimate oxymoron.

The only way to guarantee that files can be opened and read anywhere is to convert them to PDF.

I have Adobe Acrobat, so I can do that. You can download a free PDF conversion tool, I'm not sure from where. Google "PDF Conversion" and you should be able to find a free utility to convert your files to PDF.

Your recruit (or anyone, actually) can download Open Office for free. Get it from openoffice.org - there are other sites out there that will charge you for it. It's an open-source suite of programs that can open and save as Office-format documents.

I don't think open office will run 2008 since MS created a new extension docx

There should be a free download from Microsoft called Word Viewer.

Your recruit should be able to open up Word Docs using it. I think Greg is right, it might not open up the new Word .docx documents. If you are using Word 2007 for PC (or Word 2008 for mac?), save your docs with the .doc extension.

I do not know if Microsoft has come out with a Word Viewer for .docx documents.

OK, I found the link on microsoft's site:
Download details: Word Viewer 2003

I have never used it myself - so I am not sure how good it is.

Edit: Reading further down to the link I provided:
By installing the Compatibility Pack after you install the Word Viewer 2003, you can view documents that are saved in the following new document formats: docx

So, install the Word Viewer then install the Compatibility pack and your recruit should be able to open even the new Word docs.

Thank you all so much. I emailed her the responses that I got and hope that she can do that.

1. What is Microsoft Works?

Microsoft Works is a discontinued office suite developed by Microsoft. It included a word processor, spreadsheet, database, and other productivity tools.

2. Is Microsoft Works still available?

No, Microsoft Works was discontinued in 2010 and is no longer available for purchase.

3. Can I open Microsoft Works files in other programs?

Yes, most versions of Microsoft Works files can be opened in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access. However, some formatting and features may not be fully compatible.

4. Can I still use Microsoft Works on my computer?

If you already have Microsoft Works installed on your computer, you can continue to use it. However, it is no longer supported by Microsoft and may not be compatible with newer operating systems.

5. Is there a free alternative to Microsoft Works?

Yes, there are several free office suites available that offer similar functionality to Microsoft Works, such as LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• quiverfull7
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Gloria&Emily
  • pc_jessica
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • TWine120