• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Cake Makers Unite! (I Need Some Advice)

In summary, the author attempted to save money by altering a princess castle cake recipe and using 3 9x13 cake pans, but the cakes would not come out of the pan. The author then added strawberry flavoring and used an entire tub of frosting on one 8x8 inch layer. To fix the problem, the author needed two more cake mixes, two more tubs of frosting, eggs, and 8x8 inch square pans. The author noted that if they had just bought the pans needed, this would not have happened. The author will post pictures after the party.
I agree with everyone else! The cake looked great. Plus no one is going to care what the cake looks like when they eat it. My SIL pays some lady to make these cakes that doesn't even look half as good and cool as the cake you made yourself!

My BIL's b'day was at the end of March, and my sister used the Wilton castle set to make him a cake (my nieces wanted Daddy to have a castle cake). We used the new chocolate Skittles as rocks around the base, and on the roofs of the turrets. And then we put a Lego dragon on it. :)

chefann said:
My BIL's b'day was at the end of March, and my sister used the Wilton castle set to make him a cake (my nieces wanted Daddy to have a castle cake). We used the new chocolate Skittles as rocks around the base, and on the roofs of the turrets. And then we put a Lego dragon on it. :)

Kacey, your cake turned out awesome! The one I did with the Wilton was really easy - the plastic pieces (doors and windows) made it look harder than it was. I wish I'd thought of the Skittle rocks and the lego dragon - cute touches! :)

Kacey!! That cake is ADORABLE!!! Qhy are you beating yourself up saying it is not. IT IS, now pat yourself on the back and be proud girl!!!:D

I hope you feel better soon!

Jennie4PC said:
Erin how did you do that cake it looks awsome.

Jane your story totally reminded me about a party I went to in July. The girl used 5 bags of powdered sugar for her frosting.
It was in last months Family Fun..yellow cake, frosting and crushed nilla wafers! The kids "tore it up"! LOL!!

Jennifer, I'm patting myself on the back right now! :) LOL

Thanks for thinking my cake was so splendid! I'm off to drink some more Theraflu...I haven't had cold in years...my niece has had three since she's lived here, and my body finally decided to join in on the "fun"....

4kids4me said:
Here are cakes I made last year. The dragon was for the Twins' 2nd bday and the castle for my dd's 4th. The dragon is from Family Fun and the castle is a Wilton cake kit. (hope this works -thx for the help!)
Twins2ndBirthdayPartyweb.jpg

naomiscastlebirthdaycakeweb.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the dragon cake! :)

Thanks Kacey - they were both really fun to make. Ok, especially the dragon, lol! :)

We have some budding cake makers here!! Excellent cakes!!!

In high school I was a self taught cake decorator. I actually sold wedding cakes.

When you are stacking cake layers, here is how to make them not sink down:

Layer One:
Say for example you have 2 - 10 inch round cake.

First, I level off the rounded top on both layers. Place the first cake flat side down onto the platter that you are going to present the cake on.(or the bottom of the cake when it came out of the pan).
You can take apricot jelly and heat it. Brush this all over the cake with our silicone brush and let it dry just a bit so the frosting has this to stick to and it also helps get the crumbs under control.
Frost this and make it no thicker than roughly 1/4 in because when weight is put on it, the frosting will bulge out the sides. There will be some places you may have it a bit thicker, because with our large spreader you can make it a flat surface.
Then place the next layer on top...but make sure you have the "bottom" of the pan" side facing up. (the two layers that were leveled off, should be facing each other). Again, brush more of the warmed apricot jelly on the cake and let it dry somewhat.
Continue to frost tops and sides. You may want to run your spreader under very warm water (shake off most of the water) then continue to work on smoothing the frosting. Make sure not to use too much water because when it dries, it will form a "crust" that will easily crack.

Purchase 1/4 inch wooden dowels in the hardware store. Cut 4 pieces that are slightly shorter than the height of the cake. Place them gently in the center of the cake in a square pattern approximately 2 inches apart.

Purchase cake cardboard that is 8 inches wide.

Layer Two:

Take 2 - 8 inch cakes.
Repeat the steps above only place this cake on to one of the 8 inch cake boards.

When you frost the entire 8 inch layer, frost over the sides of the card board to hide it.

By doing this, it distributes the weight onto the dowels and cardboard instead of "squishing" the bottom cake.

Cakes can crack...just think of your frosting as "the glue". Thin it down and patch up the cake.

For coloring, use Wilton paste colors. Also, add a very small amount of white corn syrup in the frosting you want to color so the colors will not streak.

It you want white frosting...do not use milk in your frosting, use water.

I stopped doing cakes when the nervousness I went through was greater than the pleasure!! If I could only decorate, I would be happy!!! That was my favorite part. Watch cake challenges on the Food Network or the Ace of Cakes!!! The talent is unbelievable! They are truely artists as well as chefs.

Ace of Cakes is one of my favorite shows.

baychef said:
We have some budding cake makers here!! Excellent cakes!!!

In high school I was a self taught cake decorator. I actually sold wedding cakes.

When you are stacking cake layers, here is how to make them not sink down:

Layer One:
Say for example you have 2 - 10 inch round cake.

First, I level off the rounded top on both layers. Place the first cake flat side down onto the platter that you are going to present the cake on.(or the bottom of the cake when it came out of the pan).
You can take apricot jelly and heat it. Brush this all over the cake with our silicone brush and let it dry just a bit so the frosting has this to stick to and it also helps get the crumbs under control.
Frost this and make it no thicker than roughly 1/4 in because when weight is put on it, the frosting will bulge out the sides. There will be some places you may have it a bit thicker, because with our large spreader you can make it a flat surface.
Then place the next layer on top...but make sure you have the "bottom" of the pan" side facing up. (the two layers that were leveled off, should be facing each other). Again, brush more of the warmed apricot jelly on the cake and let it dry somewhat.
Continue to frost tops and sides. You may want to run your spreader under very warm water (shake off most of the water) then continue to work on smoothing the frosting. Make sure not to use too much water because when it dries, it will form a "crust" that will easily crack.

Purchase 1/4 inch wooden dowels in the hardware store. Cut 4 pieces that are slightly shorter than the height of the cake. Place them gently in the center of the cake in a square pattern approximately 2 inches apart.

Purchase cake cardboard that is 8 inches wide.

Layer Two:

Take 2 - 8 inch cakes.
Repeat the steps above only place this cake on to one of the 8 inch cake boards.

When you frost the entire 8 inch layer, frost over the sides of the card board to hide it.

By doing this, it distributes the weight onto the dowels and cardboard instead of "squishing" the bottom cake.

Cakes can crack...just think of your frosting as "the glue". Thin it down and patch up the cake.

For coloring, use Wilton paste colors. Also, add a very small amount of white corn syrup in the frosting you want to color so the colors will not streak.

It you want white frosting...do not use milk in your frosting, use water.

I stopped doing cakes when the nervousness I went through was greater than the pleasure!! If I could only decorate, I would be happy!!! That was my favorite part. Watch cake challenges on the Food Network or the Ace of Cakes!!! The talent is unbelievable! They are truely artists as well as chefs.

Wow- thanks for all that help! I do watch the cake challenges, you think I would have remembered some of their tips when I was doing this, but I didn't. Oh, well....

I love the tip at making your white frosting white by using water- simply amazing! You are so helpful!

Oh the stories I could tell you about the good the bad and the just plain near disasters I have had in my cake days!!

Purchasing a Wilton cake decorating yearbook should give you some good tips too (at least they used to, it has been years since I purchased one).

Good luck!! And keep sharing those pictures!:chef:

baychef said:
Oh the stories I could tell you about the good the bad and the just plain near disasters I have had in my cake days!!

Purchasing a Wilton cake decorating yearbook should give you some good tips too (at least they used to, it has been years since I purchased one).

Good luck!! And keep sharing those pictures!:chef:

I might just do that...thanks for the advice! :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPaulaB
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • pchefinski
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pchefinski
Replies