• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Bounced Check Question (Yes, Another One....)

In summary, a small claims court would be the best option if the checkwriter does not show up or pay after the court date.
jwpamp
Ok, I haven't had many returned checks since I started nearly 3 years ago, and the most recent one is not co-operating.

Can someone tell me if I can take the check (my bank actually sends me one of those "Legal Copies") to THEIR bank and cash it?

I was hoping that there would be some other way to do this rather than filing a small claims.

Also, if anyone has filed a small claims -- what will they do if the "defendant" doesn't show up or pay it thru the court after the court date?

You should be able to take the check (or copy) the their bank. It may take a couple of tries, but as long as there is money in the account they will, or should cash it. If you can get a helpful teller you might be able to find out if they have direct deposit or not too, then you will know the best date to cash it.

Yes you should be able to take the check copy into her bank and cash it. If the funds are there they will do it.

Of course you can take the check to her bank. If they are a distance away, call first. But the bank will cash it for you if there are funds in the account.

If that doesn't work, which it should. Take it to small claims court. She has stolen from you and you have every right to go after the money!!

Edited to add that if she doesn't show up there is a possibility that she'll be arrested for bad check fees. I think if you call the local district justice office to find out the laws in your area.

The other bank will probably charge you to cash it if you are not their customer.

Update:

Ok, so I took the check to their bank today and explained my situation. They were very kind and issued me a Cashier's Check with the funds from the checkwriter's account (yes, they were available today).

So, I am only out the return fee my bank charged me, and if the customer wants to make good on it, that is fine. If not, oh well....

Happy ending! Thank you ALL for your help. I have never had a customer who refused to pay an NSF check before, and it's nice to know what to do now!!

Thank you again!!!

Happy to hear it went smooth. I just got my 2nd bounced chek yesterday. It is so discouraging, but I can't seem to bring myself to cash or credit only. Luckily the first check was paid plus my fee and this second one says they will do the same..
I guess it is a business hazard.

Well, the customer just called and said they had the money to pay me....too late for the check, but he said he will bring the money by for the fee.

We'll see.

I always tell my hostesses and also at the beginning of my shows that if i receive a returned check, then they will be charged the amount on the check AND a $20 returned check fee. I haven't had ANY returned checks since I started this.

I had the problem too. Except the guest closed the account and didn't want the products so I was stuck with them. Not only was I charged by my bank, but I had to pay to have them shipped back. I have now put on my outside order forms that there is a $25 fee for all returned checks.

I've done this for 9 years only had 3 bounced checks. only 1 problem guest with the check.

Related to Bounced Check Question (Yes, Another One....)

1. What happens if I accidentally write a check for more than I have in my account?

If you write a check for more than you have in your account, the check will bounce. This means that it will be returned to the person or business to whom you wrote the check, and you may be charged a fee by your bank.

2. Can I cancel a bounced check once it has been returned to me?

Unfortunately, once a check has been returned to you as a bounced check, you cannot cancel it. The funds will already have been deducted from your account, and the recipient may have already tried to deposit or cash the check.

3. How can I avoid writing a bounced check?

The best way to avoid writing a bounced check is to keep track of your account balance and only write checks for the amount you have available. You can also set up overdraft protection with your bank, which will cover the check if you do not have enough funds in your account.

4. What should I do if I receive a bounced check from someone else?

If you receive a bounced check from someone else, you should contact them and ask them to make the payment in another form, such as cash or a different check. You can also try to deposit the check again at a later time, in case the account balance has changed.

5. Will a bounced check affect my credit score?

No, a bounced check will not directly affect your credit score. However, if the check bounces because you do not have enough funds in your account, it could lead to other financial issues and potentially impact your credit score in the long run.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • jimgass
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
cmcchef
  • adauw