• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Black Mold on Bamboo Spoons: Is it a Fluke or Common Issue?

In summary, black mold on bamboo spoons is caused by exposure to moisture and lack of proper cleaning and drying. It is not a common issue, but can be harmful to health if ingested. To prevent mold growth, it is important to thoroughly wash and dry bamboo spoons after each use and avoid storing them in damp areas. If mold does develop, it is not recommended to use the spoons and they should be properly cleaned or replaced.
babywings76
Gold Member
I had a guest at a show ask me if it's a fluke thing or what, but she has 2 bamboo spoons and they both have black mold on them. She runs them through the dishwasher, so she can't figure out why they are developing the mold. They are old enough to be past the guarantee. Anyone else hear of this? Should I contact HO just to let them know?

I've had mine forever and have had no problems at all. Very weird, contact HO.

Sorry, never heard of that. You might want to call HO to see what they say.

sounds strange... maybe the sealer on them was compromised somehow???

I don't think they have a sealer on them. I've had mine for years and haven't had any problem. That's weird.

I've had mine for years and years and never had a problem, but my cousin had this happen to hers. I couldn't explain it - I just gave her another set.

1. What causes black mold to grow on bamboo spoons?

Black mold on bamboo spoons is typically caused by exposure to moisture and lack of proper cleaning and drying. The porous nature of bamboo can allow moisture to seep in and create a breeding ground for mold.

2. Is black mold on bamboo spoons a common issue?

No, black mold on bamboo spoons is not a common issue. Proper care and maintenance of bamboo spoons can prevent mold growth. However, if left in damp or humid environments, mold can develop.

3. Can black mold on bamboo spoons be harmful to health?

Yes, black mold on bamboo spoons can be harmful to health if ingested. It is important to properly clean and disinfect bamboo spoons to prevent the spread of mold.

4. How can I prevent black mold from growing on my bamboo spoons?

To prevent black mold from growing on bamboo spoons, make sure to thoroughly wash and dry them after each use. Also, avoid storing them in damp or humid areas and consider using a food-safe oil to seal the bamboo and prevent moisture from getting in.

5. Can I still use my bamboo spoons if they have black mold on them?

It is not recommended to use bamboo spoons with black mold on them. The mold can be harmful to health and can also affect the taste and quality of your food. It is best to properly clean and disinfect the spoons or replace them if the mold cannot be completely removed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• SpiritdancerIA
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
peichef
  • SnowChef
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
KellyRedHead
  • barbchan