• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Warranty Issues Not Just Cookware

In summary, Thought I would share my experience today with all of you. I did an adjustment on a DCB (Cranberry) for a host who used it once and it cracked while she was cooking fajitas in it in the MW. I did the adjustment online, it went right through, no return necessary - boom, new DCB in 3 days. Last Wednesday night one of my hosts, now a new consultant on my team, emailed me about her 'first' party and told me that she made a lava cake in her brand new (never used) white DCB and when she took it out, set it on the counter and when she took the lid off the lid tapped the side of the baker and boom -
Melissa78
Gold Member
Thought I would share my experience today with all of you...
About 3 weeks ago I did an adjustment on a DCB (Cranberry) for a host who used it once and it cracked while she was cooking fajitas in it in the MW. I did the adjustment online, it went right through, no return necessary - boom, new DCB in 3 days.

Last Wednesday night one of my hosts, now a new consultant on my team, emailed me about her 'first' party and told me that she made a lava cake in her brand new (never used) white DCB and when she took it out, set it on the counter and when she took the lid off the lid tapped the side of the baker and boom - the bottom cracked in half. (nice on her first show and with a lava cake!)

So I said "NO PROBLEM" I'll do an adjustment and i'm sure they will get a new one right out. WRONG. I did it online and got the hoopdy doo stuff about a label. So Thursday comes and I get an email from "Richard" asking me exactly what was wrong with it. So i copied and pasted the exact wording from my host/consultant. I heard nothing all THursday, Friday, weekend. Monday I emailed him back and said "Any word on this issue?" and he responded with "My apologies for the delay. Your new DCB shipped out today." Great - 2 days later she had it. Yay!

Thought I was done with this and "Richard" emails me today:
"In reviewing your particular situation and based on the information you provided in your initial e-mail, it appears that your product was not damaged under normal conditions when used according to the printed instructions. As indicated on the back of your sales receipt, a replacement, exchange or refund is not offered in cases where the item is misused or damaged contrary to the printed instructions. Understandably, we have to set standards to our guidelines, and therefore the guarantee is voided and your item is ineligible for replacement."

I got news for PC - if they think that I or anyone else is going to buy something for $69 and it breaks on first use and they don't honor the warranty??? They are out of their mind and I'll fight them tooth and nail. If this was me and I was the guest, I would never ever buy from PC again. (or any company that would do that) There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to tap the top of the dish after cooking in it without it breaking in half (not even cracked...broke in half). There obviously was a hairline crack that was not visible and the heat/tap was enough to open it up.

To boot - what an idiot! They already shipped out the new one AND it was received 2 days ago-- now they send a "You lose, you get nothing. Good day sir!" email? What a crock.

Abuse and misuse is one thing but not honoring a clear defect is something else.

This is what happens when people have abused the warranty/guarantees and gotten away with things that really shouldn't have been replaced. Not saying that is the case in YOUR's Melissa- I think that you are right...It's not like she dropped it on the counter. A simple tap- you can do that just putting it INTO the oven!This should be interesting. The cookware issues, and I'm sure this is not the first and definitely won't be the last. This will definitely make me less inclined to do returns- if I end up having to be the bad guy!

There is a big difference between thermal shock and bumping your stoneware. I'm with HO on this one.

I totally would agree if she had hit it, dropped it, banged it. Her lid touched the side of the top (I would call it the lip of the baker) when she was taking off the lid - that's called 'use' if my mind. So do I tell the guests "treat your baker like its the 'game of Operation' - be sure you lift your lid up completely straight and don't touch any part of the baker and then putting it back down will be like getting out the wishbone? If she or anyone else knocked it hard I would get it but lid + baker = contact.

Just wait until guests start getting their legit returns denied, hope PC is ready for the possible outcomes.

I totally would agree if she had hit it, dropped it, banged it. Her lid touched the side of the top (I would call it the lip of the baker) when she was taking off the lid - that's called 'use' in my mind. So do I tell the guests "treat your baker like its the 'game of Operation' - be sure you lift your lid up completely straight and don't touch any part of the baker and then putting it back down will be like getting out the wishbone? If she or anyone else knocked it hard I would get it but lid + baker = contact.

Just wait until guests start getting their legit returns denied, hope PC is ready for the possible outcomes.

I think the term "bump" is probably the sticking point. HER definition of "bump", our definition, and HO's definition. They may be thinking "bang"...she may have really just "tinked" it. I tink my lid all the time! But nothing that should result in it shattering the BOTTOM of the DCB- which didn't sound like it was even the part bumped/tapped/tinked/caressed/whatever-you-want-to-call-it. I can see chipping the lid or the part that made contact, but the bottom?? That was an accident waiting to happen. Probably the reason it happened was some unseen weakness, and the fact that it was hot made it more vulnerable to that tap/bump/etc. I BUMPED my lid on the granite counter as i was taking it out of the sink. It wasn't he first time, but it did chip off a little piece. Oh well....but it didn't shatter. They should withstand a bump or two without completely shattering. Unfortunately, there is no way anyone can check it.
So what are they going to do? Come collect her 2nd one that she already received? or charge her for it?

It seems to me like he forgot he sent out a new one. Shipping the new one was their mistake. Their mistake = they absorb the cost (IMO). She had a $1700 party and is a new consultant...if they make yet another mistake by charging her, I think it will cost them a whole lot more than $69.

Wow - now I'm worried about a product adjustment I just did for my large bar pan AND a forged cutlery Santoku! Both on the SAME day!!! :( I took out my Santoku and the tip was chipped off and bent! My husband and daughter both have NO idea what happened!! :( My bar pan was in the oven when it was preheating & then I pulled it out and set it on my stove top. A few mins later, I heard a "POP!" and I looked over & it had cracked in half!!! Thermal shock?? Amyway, I did adjustments for both & mailed them back - $12! I'm wondering if they are going to just send these or question them ... I HOPE they replace them - both are favorites and my bar pan was starting to get such a nice "season" to it. :(

cookingwithdot said:
My bar pan was in the oven when it was preheating & then I pulled it out and set it on my stove top. A few mins later, I heard a "POP!" and I looked over & it had cracked in half!!!(

Uh, I thought we weren't supposed to preheat our stones?

RMDave said:
Uh, I thought we weren't supposed to preheat our stones?

Not only are we not supposed to preheat them, we're really not supposed to set them on the stovetop either. (Unless it's on a gas range where the stove burner tops aren't much different than a cooling rack)

ShelbyMichalek said:
Not only are we not supposed to preheat them, we're really not supposed to set them on the stovetop either. (Unless it's on a gas range where the stove burner tops aren't much different than a cooling rack)

I don't see this anywhere in the use & care, or in the PIG....

Setting a hot stone on any cooler surface could lead to thermal shock.

Well, regardless of what I was supposed to do - it cracked in half! :( And I didn't purposely preheat it - I was preheating the oven & it was in there for storage. :) Although I have preheated my Stones before, so they aren't cold when I am baking on them. I had never heard not to. I just hope I get a replacement! :)

Complete different question....is thermal shock covered by our warranty? I know the use & care card discuss thermal shock. Just curious.

ShelbyMichalek said:

We can set them on a stovetop, just not on a hot eye. If the burner hasn't been on there's no reason you can't put a stone on it.

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
Complete different question....is thermal shock covered by our warranty? I know the use & care card discuss thermal shock. Just curious.
Thermal shock is not covered by the guarantee (a warranty is something that is purchased in addition to the basic coverage), because there is info in the use and care about how to avoid it. In a thermal shock situation, the user is NOT following the recommended use and care.

cookingwithdot said:
Well, regardless of what I was supposed to do - it cracked in half! :( And I didn't purposely preheat it - I was preheating the oven & it was in there for storage. :) Although I have preheated my Stones before, so they aren't cold when I am baking on them. I had never heard not to. I just hope I get a replacement! :)

Purposely or not, it did happen. Just like when my husband dropped my lid to my DCB. He didn't mean to but I swallowed my thoughts of having HO replace it because it was our fault that it broke.

See, this is one of the things that I am worried about with starting the business. :(

I've heard so many stories like this about stones cracking and things warping and people not being able to get them replaced under the warranty. I don't want to deal with that kind of situation or lose a customer because of it.

I'm sure in the stories I heard that the people just didn't follow the instructions (which is typical, a lot of people out there are stupid) but for ACCIDENTS like you're talking about and the HO doesn't wanna replace it...that worries me. :confused:

emiscookin said:
See, this is one of the things that I am worried about with starting the business. :(

I've heard so many stories like this about stones cracking and things warping and people not being able to get them replaced under the warranty. I don't want to deal with that kind of situation or lose a customer because of it.

I'm sure in the stories I heard that the people just didn't follow the instructions (which is typical, a lot of people out there are stupid) but for ACCIDENTS like you're talking about and the HO doesn't wanna replace it...that worries me. :confused:
The warranty only covers defects and such, not accidents. They would probably be out of business if they replaced everything that was accidentally broke.

It's a guarantee, not a warranty. Accidents never are covered. Sure it stinks, I hate when I do something by accident and ruin something. It's expensive and it breaks your heart, and you sit there wishing you could turn back the clock. But, it doesn't mean you are entitled to a free replacement. As stinky as that seems. :( ;) At some point we have to accept responsibility. Lots of people expect perfection and when they make a mistake, expect others to pay for it. (I'm speaking generally here, not directed at anyone in particular. :) ) If you drop your stone, or if you do something that created thermal shock, you shouldn't expect a replacement. But...if it got gently clinked or whatever (back to Melissa's situation she wrote about) and broke in such a severe way, I'm inclined to think it had a hairline crack and would request a replacement. It's such a grey area and probably hard for HO to decide how firm of a "tap" would be too much force or not and if they should cover it. This whole thing is just making me nauseous. I feel so bad for those who have these bad situations. I loved being able to say that PC has a very generous return/replacement policy, but I don't think I will be saying that anymore. I'm going to really try to make people more aware of the proper care and treatment of things.

emiscookin said:

Well, the thing you've got to remember about hearing "so many stories" is that people tend to only post the negative experiences. If everyone posted about how they had a customer who just loved their stone to death, then we'd be seriously overrun with posts.

Customers do tend to want to take the responsibility away from themselves when they've had an accident with one of our products. I've seen numerous posts/chatroom conversations about consultants wanting to do a product adjustment for a big ticket item when they know that the damage resulted in user error. And that's just not fair.

I still stand by our guarantees (stop calling it a warranty, folks!). Our products (well, most) are high-quality and well worth the price. And, I believe that HO stands behind their guarantees. But, like other people have posted, they need to crack down now because people are taking advantage of the guarantee and of the generosity of HO.

I had a boning knife that snapped in half, and a rotary grater that cracked. It cost around $10 to ship them back. After 2 weeks past it being delivered to them, still nothing on CC about the adjustment status. I emailed again with both reference numbers and the delivery confirmation # from the post office.Got an email saying they would ship within 2 days. They just showed up yesterday. This is the first time I have had to email back, asking about the status. I think they are cracking down on their return policies. I was worried about that knife, even my cheaper knives have never broken in half! The big chef's knife tip is bent, unlike a wustoff I've had for over 10 years.Let us know how it turns out with the DCB situation. That set is so heavy and hot when you take it out of the microwave. I'm always afraid I'm going to break the lid when I set it down, not the base.

they need to crack down now because people are taking advantage of the guarantee and of the generosity of HO.
Can't remember if I posted this here - a customer's dog chewed up the mini measuring cup and wanted me to put in an adjustment! I just looked at her and said no, you wouldn't try to return something to a store around here that your dog chewed up - PC isn't going to take it back, either. She was kind of miffed at me. I told her she could try the adjustment herself if she felt it was a product defect (NOT!), but I was staying out of it.

We need to Keep the Faith that Good Will Come out of This

First, I wat to say that any stone that breaks within the first few times being used probably had a hairline fracture that caused it to break so easily. This happen all the time during shipping. I would be on the phone and going to bat about this!

Let's give HO lots of emails and calls. Don't think you can quietly have this happen to your customers that paid good money for their awesome PC products! If policies don't change or you see HO abuse of the policy- then call the DSA because this is not ethical.

When HO called me back on Thursday I told them I called the DSA and was waiting for a call from someone in the Code of Ethics department. I understand why PC is making changes. (It is also why I wrote a much tamer version of my original post.) Pampered Chef has to ease up. They also need to make informative emails available for us to send from our websites to ease customers into this change. I've been asking for this for quite some time. We need something like "Did you know....emails":

"Did you know..

That our stones have a 3 year warranty? And go into details of how to use a stone and how not to use a stone."

That using non-stick sprays on any non-stick surface will ruin the non-stick surface. Tell that all non-stick cookware shouldn't need any oil...and then how to use it without ruining the warranty."

That Spring is a great time to grill! Here are a few safety tips."

Friday I spoke with Mr. Webb from the DSA. I did not file a complaint because I know the company listens to it's consultants. I called to see if what HO is doing with the Professional cookware rejections is ethical. We aren't saying they have to give everyone new products. We are saying they need to honor the warranty that came with the products at the time of sale, and to be clear about the non-stick warranty with normal use and care. I was told that we need the old receipts and use and care cards that were in place when the products were sold.

I don't want hundreds of consultants jumping ship because there is an issue we disagree with...I want my reputation to be unscathed and not be considered a liar when the company I respect rejects a return due to new policy that came out after a purchase.

I have touted this as "The last cookware you'll ever buy." This is how we were trained. I teach everyone how to properly use their cookware.

I repeat - I am fine with denying someone a replacement for an obviously abused product.

I'm not okay with vague answers about whether or not our non-stick cookware will last a lifetime with normal use and care.

I'm not okay with telling someone whose base of the DCB broke when tapped that is too bad. If you want a new one then fork over another $69 to make me richer! What is the 3 year warranty for if not to replace it when hairline fractures occur?! Give the stone the same LTD warranty as the stemware if you are not going to back up your product. No stone should crack when tapped. Same goes with the bar stone. Stoneware is hand made and fragile. Shipping can create stress lines that won't appear until after several uses.

And while I'm on it -there should be a replacement part available for the DCB lid. Even if the color will slightly vary. This is almost a crime that we don't offer this. The lid is constantly removed to check the temperature of food. If my crockpot lid breaks I don't have to buy a new pot. I can buy a lid or the company will offer me a discount on a replacement part.

This company has been an amazing blessing in my life. I roll with the changes...mostly. But, lately, I feel it is about the bottom dollar and not about making a difference in peoples lives like our mission statement says.

I just noticed...the mission statement is not in our catalog! It has been in the catalog since I started going to shows...even last season's catalog had it!

This company can keep doing good like it did for the first 29 years or it can make these kind of changes and go down the toilet. Our customers are smart and buy from us because of our impeccable reputation. If they feel cheated why would they buy again? Why buy Pampered Chef when you can go to William and Sonoma for a lifetime warranty and even Target for a 30 day warranty?

Our mission statement said it all. It's still in the Come Join Us Booklet...
Our Mission
We’re committed to providing
opportunities for individuals to
develop their God-given talents
and skills to their fullest potential
for the benefit of themselves,
their families, our customers and
the company.
We’re dedicated to enhancing
the quality of family life by
providing quality kitchen
products, supported by
service and information for
our Consultants and customers.

So, did Doris's mission change like it says instead on pg 16? There is no mention of enhancing lives with our "quality kitchen products that are supported by service and information for our consultants and customers." I can't imagine it did. I've met her several times and know that she believes the best part of the Pampered Chef is helping others and her mission statement has even been part of my cooking show.

I believe there should be better communication with consultants on how to educate our customers and ourselves on the product changes so we have faith that when we sell a product with a warranty we know that the company will do what it promises.

Please look around...go to your in-laws if you need, to see if we can find old receipts and the use and care cards. Without them we can't make the changes to support our customers...and our reputations.

I have faith that if enough consultants say..."Hey. This isn't right." They will ease up and help the guests that should get their items replaced.

chefann said:
Thermal shock is not covered by the guarantee (a warranty is something that is purchased in addition to the basic coverage), because there is info in the use and care about how to avoid it. In a thermal shock situation, the user is NOT following the recommended use and care.

Thanks Ann....didn't think it did for the exact reason you stated. I need to remember to replace my use of warranty for guarantee....saw an explanation of the difference in another post...just got to make the concerted effort to use the proper word. :D

Has anybody else noticed the change in the DCB? I have a cranberry one from over 2 years ago. It is HEAVY and thick.

Well I had a show a week ago where the hostess had bought her DCB at my party before hand. I did two recipes in the dcb so I used hers and mine for the show.

After I started my baker with a lava cake, I went to work on her's with the pork tenderloin. I was shocked! Initially, I had to flip it over to make sure it was a PC dcb.

It is seriously 50% lighter than mine, and very obviously thinner! No wonder they are having such trouble with them now. I used it without issue thank goodness, but it is a shame. :(

I also just had a hostess return ALL of her professional knives because they rusted she had them for only a week!

She showed me how she washed them and set them in the drainer to drip for a few moments, then went to wipe it down dry. It had rusted! She pulled more out of her block that went in dry but came out with rust. Every single one of her knives had rust. :eek:

Now I have had mine for over 2 years. If I mistreat mine they will rust with tiny rust spots but I have always been able to removed them with a good scrub. Her rust completely stained each area it rusted no matter what she used. I tried and could NOT get them to come out.

It's very frustrating. I worry that this is a trend that pc is going in the wrong direction. I really hope not! I love PC! :blushing:

I am usually the one that handles all returns for my customers, just a customer service that I have offered for the last 5 years. I am now thinking I should just have the customers call the PC HO directly and have them deliver the bad news/ask questions directly. How does everyone else handle the returns?

Stoneware is a tough thing sometimes, since its made out of clay. I took ceramics in high school and we had to be very careful with the things we made because there can be air bubbles or tiny cracks that will cause the clay to break. And with stoneware it seems even more likely since you are heating and reheating the stone. Its a bummer when stuff like that happens. :( And if the DCB is truly thinner that could be why they break easier. Although I really dont know if thats the case, since Im a pretty new consultant I haven't had to deal with this stuff yet and I dont own a DCB. :rolleyes:

murkey said:
Has anybody else noticed the change in the DCB? I have a cranberry one from over 2 years ago. It is HEAVY and thick.

Well I had a show a week ago where the hostess had bought her DCB at my party before hand. I did two recipes in the dcb so I used hers and mine for the show.

After I started my baker with a lava cake, I went to work on her's with the pork tenderloin. I was shocked! Initially, I had to flip it over to make sure it was a PC dcb.

It is seriously 50% lighter than mine, and very obviously thinner! No wonder they are having such trouble with them now. I used it without issue thank goodness, but it is a shame. :(

I also just had a hostess return ALL of her professional knives because they rusted she had them for only a week!

She showed me how she washed them and set them in the drainer to drip for a few moments, then went to wipe it down dry. It had rusted! She pulled more out of her block that went in dry but came out with rust. Every single one of her knives had rust. :eek:

Now I have had mine for over 2 years. If I mistreat mine they will rust with tiny rust spots but I have always been able to removed them with a good scrub. Her rust completely stained each area it rusted no matter what she used. I tried and could NOT get them to come out.

It's very frustrating. I worry that this is a trend that pc is going in the wrong direction. I really hope not! I love PC! :blushing:
You are supposed to dry them right away, not let them drip dry for any amount of time. It's the water reacting to the metal, it's a natural thing that happens. Our stainless cleaner or Bar Keepers Friend clean those spots up.

wadesgirl said:
You are supposed to dry them right away, not let them drip dry for any amount of time. It's the water reacting to the metal, it's a natural thing that happens. Our stainless cleaner or Bar Keepers Friend clean those spots up.

I wash my knives by hand and put them in the strainer. Many times I don't get back to dry them until the air has done it already and have no rust spots on any of mine.

We sell amazing products but I don't understand why so many right now think ours have to be treated so differently than other brands. I think the problem is that customers think that because we have such a good guarantee that they don't have to take any special care and people got sloppy. SO I've changed what I say at my parties:

I used to say that everything is guaranteed for... (you know the lines we say) but now I have started saying:

"Our products are a high quality and will last you a long time but like everything else they need to be taken care of. If you buy a hand tool you don't leave it out in the rain. Right? Well kitchen tools work best and stay new much longer if we care for them properly too. (holding up a use & care card) Every product we have comes with one of these. Take a second and read it. It will tell you how to care for your tool to keep it for many years. Pampered Chef stands by our products and has a great guarantee as long as you follow the info on these cards. If you do that and have an issue with anything you can call PC or me and we'll help you get it replaced."

I have found that by saying that I am not going on and on about how to care for the stoneware, cookware, knives, etc - separately during the demo. When we do that it makes them think our stuff is too much work to bother with. I had a new customer who said she didn't want our stoneware because it was too high maintenance. OTHER stoneware needs you to soak, pre-heat, etc. OURS just needs to be used, rinsed and scraped. How easy can it become? We tend to worry about the DON'Ts of the stoneware and make it sound hard. Tell them to read the use & care and concentrate on the ease of care and features at the party. Leave the don't do this part for individual conversations to answer their questions.

gaddischef said:
I am usually the one that handles all returns for my customers, just a customer service that I have offered for the last 5 years. I am now thinking I should just have the customers call the PC HO directly and have them deliver the bad news/ask questions directly. How does everyone else handle the returns?

Unless it's an adjustment or a faithful, long-term customer I give them the number and email address and let them know what kind of information the HO will need.

WOW-
I really hope PC will keep it together.
I LUV my stuff!

However I have notice a lot of changes in products.
MY SS bowl, got the original set when they 1st came out, ordered another set a few months back- well the new set when I wash in the dishwasher, pushes out the bottom so when its on the counter it rocks. I weighed the 2 bowls. there is a difference in weight.

MY rd stone- I got it 8 yrs ago...its alot thicker than todays.

My martini glasses...the original dots are thicker than the white & pink ones.

Now I am reading posts about the trifle bowl.

WOW....I really want to continue with PC, but damn... I need to be able to stand behind a product.

not liking this.......

and cookware? I am not bringing it anymore ...

Why not cookware?

That using non-stick sprays on any non-stick surface will ruin the non-stick surface. Tell that all non-stick cookware shouldn't need any oil...and then how to use it without ruining the warranty.
Say. What? I have never, ever, ever in my life heard of this. As for the knives ... I had a customer get told by H.O. that her warranty on her knife was void b/c she admitted to letting it dry in the strainer. I told her to try the baking soda and if that didn't work I would replace it under my own knife's warranty. She never took me up on it so it must have worked.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Say. What? I have never, ever, ever in my life heard of this.

As for the knives ... I had a customer get told by H.O. that her warranty on her knife was void b/c she admitted to letting it dry in the strainer. I told her to try the baking soda and if that didn't work I would replace it under my own knife's warranty. She never took me up on it so it must have worked.

What have you never heard Di? Not to use Pam or nonstick spray on your cookware? The folllowing is taken from the use and care for the 8 in saute executive pan:

Nonstick Sprays and Oil: Do not use nonstick sprays on the cookware as they cause an invisible buildup and impair nonstick coating function. Avoid overheating oils or shortening as they may leave a residue that is difficult to clean and can affect nonstick performance.

As for the knives ... I had a customer get told by H.O. that her warranty on her knife was void b/c she admitted to letting it dry in the strainer.
Wow, I let mine dry in the strainer. I actually thought you had to be wrong, that no way would the Use & Care say that. Woops! It does! On the very first line.
(I won't doubt you again!!)What an incredibly fussy restriction. I hand wash my other good knives, but have never worried about hand drying them immediately. Slob that I am, I sometimes lay knives on the counter after using them and don't immediately wash them. Other times, I lay them in the sink where water might splash on them. So this might make them rust? Ridiculous! What other knife on the market rusts if it contacts water? Uhh...none?One of my PC ones did have a small rust spot. It came off with the stainless cleaner. I am more concerned with small nicks they're getting. They are nice knives, but forget recommending them. My 20-yr-old Wusthof knives have never rusted, gotten nicks, or snapped in half like the PC ones.

ShellBeach said:
Wow, I let mine dry in the strainer. I actually thought you had to be wrong, that no way would the Use & Care say that. Woops! It does! On the very first line.
(I won't doubt you again!!)

What an incredibly fussy restriction. I hand wash my other good knives, but have never worried about hand drying them immediately. Slob that I am, I sometimes lay knives on the counter after using them and don't immediately wash them. Other times, I lay them in the sink where water might splash on them. So this might make them rust? Ridiculous! What other knife on the market rusts if it contacts water? Uhh...none?

One of my PC ones did have a small rust spot. It came off with the stainless cleaner. I am more concerned with small nicks they're getting. They are nice knives, but forget recommending them. My 20-yr-old Wusthof knives have never rusted, gotten nicks, or snapped in half like the PC ones.

WOW. I never knew this either. I always hand wash mine and lay them on the towel next to the sink to dry. I always dry them and put them away before bed - but about 50% of the time, they are already dry. I have never had rust spots on the knives. I would place my PC knives on the same level as Henckels knives (maybe I am wrong?) - but I am now curious on what other forged cuterly makers recommend.

Edit: OK, I went to Williams-Sonoma site and looked at the Wusthof and Henckels. Both say Rinse & dry immediately.
Interesting. I have had Henckels for years before my PC knives and none of those have ever rusted either and I have always let them air dry.

Last edited:
BethCooks4U said:
I wash my knives by hand and put them in the strainer. Many times I don't get back to dry them until the air has done it already and have no rust spots on any of mine.

We sell amazing products but I don't understand why so many right now think ours have to be treated so differently than other brands. I think the problem is that customers think that because we have such a good guarantee that they don't have to take any special care and people got sloppy. SO I've changed what I say at my parties:

I used to say that everything is guaranteed for... (you know the lines we say) but now I have started saying:

"Our products are a high quality and will last you a long time but like everything else they need to be taken care of. If you buy a hand tool you don't leave it out in the rain. Right? Well kitchen tools work best and stay new much longer if we care for them properly too. (holding up a use & care card) Every product we have comes with one of these. Take a second and read it. It will tell you how to care for your tool to keep it for many years. Pampered Chef stands by our products and has a great guarantee as long as you follow the info on these cards. If you do that and have an issue with anything you can call PC or me and we'll help you get it replaced."

I have found that by saying that I am not going on and on about how to care for the stoneware, cookware, knives, etc - separately during the demo. When we do that it makes them think our stuff is too much work to bother with. I had a new customer who said she didn't want our stoneware because it was too high maintenance. OTHER stoneware needs you to soak, pre-heat, etc. OURS just needs to be used, rinsed and scraped. How easy can it become? We tend to worry about the DON'Ts of the stoneware and make it sound hard. Tell them to read the use & care and concentrate on the ease of care and features at the party. Leave the don't do this part for individual conversations to answer their questions.

That's a great idea (and much easier to remember!). Thanks for sharing....and great points about WHY to do it that way. It keeps things positive, allows you to do our job, and also puts a level of responsibility back on the customer where it really does belong. The reason we are in this situation now with PC "cracking down" is grown-adults didn't bother to read the Use & Care/Warranty info, and just did whatever and expected PC to replace it. And PC usually DID. Now they are saying enough is enough. Any other company/customer service or "Brick and mortar" retail store would enforce the Written Guarantee.

I am also concerned about the small nicks that my knives are getting as well. I follow use and care to the max on both the cookware and knives. I have had an "in-service" with my husband regarding how to and how not to use both. He was the first to actually point out the nicks in the utility knife. I didnt believe him because there was no way in my opinion, but it turns out he was right. I love the knives and do reccomend them but I am hesitant to now with my own issues. I also agree that the stone I bought years ago is much thicker than todays. I love how BethCooks4U shared what she says. I will have to use that at my next shows when explaining the warranties, etc because there is no better way then that, IMO. Pampered Chef has to stand up at some point to this but their quality in their products can not go down either. I agree that too many people took advantage of this and now they have had enough. Cant say that I blame them. The pics of the cookware they sent were just absurd that people even thought they could get it replaced. CRAZY!

Perhaps I didn't do a good job of sharing about this. She and I stood at her kitchen sink, took a new knife out, washed it, put it in the vertical silverware area (buy itself) to drip off a bit. It was NO MORE than 2 minutes time. It had already gotten a rust spot! In no more than 2 minutes time? No matter what the p&c says, you should be able to have your knife wet for TWO MINUTES. :grumpy:

The knives are definitely being done differently than before unless this woman's water was way out of whack. Like others here, I occasionally mistreat my knives but RARELY get rust. And then if it did, it would come out with the ss cleaner, bar helper, baking soda or the like.

I took that knife WITH the cleaners and could NOT get the stain to come away! Her complaint was legitimate and the questionable quality was embarrassingly poignant.

I know this could've been a fluke but its not likely. She had ordered 2 steak knife sets, the block set, and the carving set. Every single one, from different sets, did the same thing. :yuck: I was at a loss for words when we were talking. MY pc knives from 2 years ago (or older) DO NOT do that!! :eek:

murkey said:

High quality carbon-steel knives are vulnerable to rust. Stainless-steel knives are not. It's the nature of the metal. The reason our knives are made of carbon steel is that it allows them to hold a sharp edge better. Quality knives should be dried immediately after rinsing in very hot water.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pkd09
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
pkd09
  • Intrepid_Chef
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • shelly.nurse